Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I'm having some trouble with my aeropress. I know that some coffee will leak through the filter no matter what, that's okay (and I use two filter papers now), but I'm also getting some grounds leaking through. Is this unavoidable, or is my grind too fine, or is my crummy black & decker grinder wearing down and making coffee dust, or is there some other possibility I'm missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Nah it's a burr grinder and I can set the grind, but it's a cheap one and I have been thinking of buying something better.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yes, green coffee can absorb smells and you need to keep it away from smelly foods.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Geburan posted:

I run very warm, and my body doesn't seem to cope well with additional heat to manage. It doesn't matter how cold it is outside, unless I'm snow camping if I drink hot liquids I start to sweat. It's odd, because I don't exactly have a lot of natural insulation. My son is the same way. When we pull him out of his carseat, he is often dripping with sweat.
I'm the same way actually. I normally only drink hot coffee when I'm at home and comfortable. If I'm out of the house, or I need to go somewhere, I usually drink iced tea and iced coffee all day. Wakes me up and keeps me cool!

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Can someone recommend me some good brands for coffee grinders, probably in the ~100 CAD range? The refurbished Baratzas from the OP look good but it doesn't look like they ship here. The Capressos also look to be a little out of my range, something like $170 from Amazon.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Good luck, I've been using a freshroast SR 500 for the past little while and nothing has come out of it tasting very good :(

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

rockcity posted:

Really? I used one for several years and I had good results almost every time.

Yeah, I might buy a thermoprobe to get in and see what's going on. I've been taking a long time to get to first crack, and I suspect that it's heating up after that, or cooling too quickly, because my batches have ranged from "barely palatable" to "undrinkable". Lots of weird, grassy flavours.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

rockcity posted:

What is your process like and how much coffee are you roasting at a time?

I'm generally doing between 100g and 120g of green coffee at a time.

My process as of late is: turn heat and fan to max, occasionally tilting the machine to help move the beans around and circulate heat. I lower the speed of the fan when I notice the beans starting to turn dark, and again when I start to hear first crack. I let it run until I'm satisfied with the colour (I've been trying to roast a little darker because at first I didn't think I was hitting first crack). Then, move the beans to a metal colander for cooling. I generally wait at least 24 hours before trying the coffee.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

rockcity posted:

Try starting with it on low and let the beans go for a minute. Then hit the cool button and let that go for 30 seconds. Them turn the heat to medium and roast as normal. I leave the fan about 75% power. I almost never use the high heat. You might be unevenly roasting the beans internally which would definitely leave grassy notes in the coffee. Also, I always did my beans by volume rather than weight. I used about 1/3 of a cup.

Thanks! I stuck to medium heat this time, will report back soon. I kinda forgot that I had heard that the SR500's heat sensor is a little wonky and will trip constantly if you leave it at high heat. Hopefully this resolves that problem!

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Mr. Mambold posted:

I think due to the van Allen belt and ozone layer effect viz-a-viz degaussing, it should probably taste much better tomorrow.
I find that my roasts don't reach their best flavour until a week after roasting.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Why would you make coffee in your instant pot? Pressure cookers are used to cook food quickly at temperatures that are extremely high for water/steam cooking. You don't need to brew coffee at 115C, it's gonna draw a lot of very undesirable flavours out of the grounds. Personally, I find that I get the best results around 93C. If you want to make coffee quickly, get an aeropress.

Fake edit: This is a troll right?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The filter in filter coffee takes out most of the oils so you're left with a pretty clean tasting cup of coffee. You might prefer french press. Otherwise, just enjoy what you like.

They could try using a metal coffee filter, those leave a lot of the oils intact.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I've been grinding beans for pour-over/aeropress using the hario skerton for a long time now and I've decided that it's no longer cutting it (and also my hands are exhausted). What's a good entry-level electric grinder? Are the Baratza Encore/Virtuoso still recommended? I live in Canada so unfortunately I don't think I can find a cheap refurbished one here.

EDIT: Encore is about $190 here, Virtuoso is about $300

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Merchants of Green Coffee is based in Toronto and will sell green coffee; I think they deliver, but you might have to call them to set it up.

Green Beanery is the worst. Bad politics + no one knows where anything is or how to use their PoS so you're waiting for ages. But it's centrally located and they're open late!!!

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Sextro posted:

Anyone else nerdy enough to mess around with comparing using brita/pur filtered tap water and treating distilled water with minerals IE third wave water or making your own mineral mix?

https://baristahustle.com/blogs/barista-hustle/advanced-water-recipes

Right now I'm using the recipe for "Rao water" given on this page, using epsom salts and baking soda

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

SR500 here, I just pull my smoke alarm batteries out and let the delicious coffee smell permeate my apartment. My neighbours probably hate me but who cares, besides it's usually way too cold to roast outside here.

I understand that the behmor 1600 plus drum roaster has a smoke suppressor (though it still gets smokey of course). That's probably what I'm looking at if I decide to upgrade.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

ILikeVoltron posted:

Fair warning, I picked this one up from Amazon a few years back and it rusted so bad I had to stop using it. I had the lid replaced after a year, and the new one again rusted. Eventually the warranty ran out so I threw it away.

I think someone mentioned ages back that they fixed their rust problem? Mine is rocking two years I think with only a couple spots on the lid. A+ on my end.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

I started oven roasting my own coffee recently; grabbed some green beans out of the discount bin from Sweet Maria's distribution center around here. It's going better than expected, but I made some cold brew out of some and there's this white, cloudy layer on the top. I looked it up (first thought was that it's mold) it seems to be solid resins coming from the beans. It's not bad but I don't think I like it, plus it grosses people out when I pull a pitcher of coffee that looks like this:

Is this a problem at all? Is there some way I can reduce this without paper filtration or painstakingly skimming everything?
My process is pretty simple, I roasted these particular beans in the oven at 550 for 10 minutes, flipping them every minute and a half. They were left to rest in the open for 12 hours, then stored in a zip bag. I ground them with a simple electric hand grinder to coarse, though a lot ended up finer with the lovely grinder I've got. After that, I threw a cup and a half in a gallon pickling jar with 2 cups of ice, 8 cups of water. 24 hours later, I get three layers: grounds at the bottom, coffee in the middle, cloudy white layer on top. This gets put through a fine metal screen filter into my pitcher. I skimmed some with a spoon last time I made this and it tasted like peanut butter. Bizarre. Not bad, but bizarre.

No knowledge of if it's a problem or not, but I had that happen last time I attempted cold brew and it grossed me out so much I dumped the whole thing. You might be able to avoid the resins congealing if you steep at room temperature? Not sure, haven't tried it. I strongly doubt it's harmful but you still don't want to have it.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

jet sanchEz posted:

I've had a Clever Coffee Dripper clone for a bunch of years now and I like it but there doesn't seem to be a way to take it apart to properly clean in, does anyone know of a similar drip coffee maker that can be disassembled for cleaning?

CCD is pretty unique among drip coffee in how it uses immersion to steep, similar to a french press. You could try an inverted aeropress but similarly I find that the rubber stopper it uses never gets quite clean or loses its stale coffee odor.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

silvergoose posted:

"Going to local places" requires a whole lot of work for me, since there's almost no decent coffee shops near me and I have two young kids so I don't really go out.

I'll consider a pourover, someone suggested a chemex. Are the reusable metal filter things at all okay or am I forced to use paper really?

If you're interested in pourovers I recommend getting a cheap hario v60; plastic is better. I see most coffee shops use them for pourover now. I use paper filters but hey, why not try both and see what you like!

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

This is a very personal choice, but I'd be more inclined to go for a gooseneck kettle over a stovetop roaster, partly because I think it's more valuable to get experience with pourovers and finding what you like before roasting, but also because of the sheer number of times I burnt my hands trying to pour water into my chemex from a regular kettle. It might be easier with the six cup, though; I had the pint-size, which has a narrow mouth and a real tendency to wobble (when I finally smashed it by accident I opted for a plastic V60 and haven't looked back).

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Butt Discussin posted:

I'm really enjoying my aeropress and Ethiopian yirgacheffe. Seems the next step is a burr grinder and thermometer? Will a clever coffee dripper or other method produce a better or different taste than the aeropress?

Both the aeropress and the CCD use an immersion brew method so they're similar in that regard. The use of pressure in an aeropress is supposed to produce an espresso-style crema on top, but I've never had great success producing said crema with an aeropress. Besides that, the CCD is supposed to be much easier to clean than the aeropress, with less chance of grounds getting into your cup (a common gripe with the aeropress). If you want to try something a bit different, you could always try pourover; a plastic Hario V60 is super-affordable, and makes my favourite cup of coffee.

A burr grinder is a great investment vs. a blade grinder and will probably make the biggest difference to your coffee. For not too much money you could get a cheap hand grinder like the Hario Skerton (be warned it is a workout), for more money you could get an entry-level electric grinder like the baratza encore. Using a thermometer is kinda finicky with a regular kettle, I really like using a variable temperature kettle but missing that you can just let your water boil and wait for it to cool down a consistent amount of time.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Geez, I thought I liked strong coffee at 1:16 in my V60. I'll have to try some other ratios.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

bizwank posted:

I'll drink less alcohol before I switch to worse coffee.

Amen to that, at $20 a bag it's still cheaper for me to make pourovers at home than to go out and buy coffee

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

The Sweet Maria's library is a really good resource that I regularly go back to

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

RichterIX posted:

Is there anything that can be done about grinder retention with a capresso infinity? It's not that big a deal, but it's annoying to try to grind 16 grams of coffee and then have to brush 2 grams out of the grinder every single time I make a cup of coffee. I can't tell if it's static or just a badly designed chute--a fair amount of it sticks to the top burr, and then I find some sitting in the chute as well.

My parents got rid of their Capresso for this reason, it'd become impacted with grounds and it would make coffee with a distinct burnt oil taste (and eventually just become too clogged to do anything). They gave it to me and I tried cleaning and disassembling it a couple times, but it always had the same problem. My entry-level Baratza has proved much more reliable even though I also have to periodically disassemble and clean the hopper.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Beans are made decaf by washing them with some kind of solvent, not by roasting them into oblivion. The decaf beans are then roasted dark to mask any off flavours caused by decaffeination, plus there's the perception that if you're buying decaf coffee then you don't care about taste anyway and will drink the worst most burnt coffees. It's a shame because when I (briefly) tried to cut caffeine out of my diet it was hard to find a decaf that actually tasted like coffee, though some microroasters will sell quality decaf.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Nespresso for the normies

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Jan posted:

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/store/third-wave-water

But is it organic!?

heeeere, millenial, come and give us your money :henget:

Their marketing is awful but I genuinely think the product improves the taste of my coffee. It's cheaper to make it yourself by buying minerals but it's such a pain and it works out to only a few cents per cup with third wave water. They always send me discount codes too.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

kim jong-illin posted:

Is it cheaper than getting a jug and a Brita or BWT filter though?

Probably not. My understanding is that a conventional filter will still leave too many minerals in your water, but honestly I haven't bothered to do a taste comparison as I do not own a water filter. I find the difference between tap water and third wave water (or even the water I've mineralized myself) to be striking, but I could just be used to very hard tap water. Maybe I'll buy a filter and do some tests; can't say I mind drinking more coffee.

There used to be a book called Water for Coffee that I wanted to read, but I just looked it up and I can't find it for sale anywhere now. D'oh! Anyway, here's some recipes from Matt Perger: https://baristahustle.com/blog/diy-water-recipes-the-world-in-two-bottles/

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Jhet posted:

This is true. Except homebrewers usually won't spend $15 for 12 packets of water additions. They'll spend $15 for mineral additions that will last them a few years at least and either use a water filtration system hooked up to their tap (RO or otherwise) or buy big jugs of water from the store. Some of us do get super spergy about water for brewing beer, but it's a small amount and usually isn't entirely necessary.

I imagine the same goes for brewing better coffee. Go a little way with it and you'll find a good difference. Throw lots of money at it and you'll only find a little more.
I did start out buying the minerals myself and making the water, but that's a lot more work than just ripping open a sachet and pouring it into a jug of water. By my math it costs me about 12 cents a cup, not counting the discount codes they usually offer, which is a lot less than the beans I buy, and still makes a pourover cost a fraction of what it would at a coffee shop. I get that it's overpriced, but it's worth the convenience fee to not have to do that work myself.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

A quality burr grinder is gonna make the biggest difference in flavour in your coffee, go with electric if you don't want to spend a few minutes working at it.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Democratic Pirate posted:

Clever coffee dripper for me:

Seconding the CCD, it's pretty hands-off and basically foolproof in making a great cup of coffee.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

You do you, but for most people the best flavours in coffee are highly water soluble and you're pouring them down the drain if you get rid of that bloom

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

McStephenson posted:

Yeah, blooming is done to get as much out of the coffee, not rinsing unwanted things from the beans.

Keep it all in the cup!

I'm not certain blooming is even really necessary given that CCD is an immersion method; you can assume that all of the grounds are fully saturated by water. But hey, it's tradition, and it looks cool!

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah I go for 23 on my encore when doing CCD, and about 22g coffee to 340g water or thereabouts. I also don't bother blooming the coffee, I just stir it a lil' when I finish pouring, and I start draining 2 minutes after I start pouring. I do a Rao spin to get the grounds to settle at the bottom, then I stop draining shortly after the coffee level drops below the grounds. I haven't timed it but it's probably under a minute to drain. If it's taking 6 minutes to drain I'd assume your grind is too fine, and both the fine grind and long drain time are contributing to your gross overextracted flavour.

EDIT: I'd also try not draining to completion as well, I think it's been discussed in the thread before but the last dregs of your pour over can have a funny flavour.

Tippecanoe fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 8, 2019

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Have you tried roasting the beans first? :smuggo:

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Okay that’s funny.

How long until you just buy 20 gram bags, single serving style?

Got you covered pal:

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

I always weigh out the beans before grinding and then dump them into my electric grinder hopper. I dunno if there's a reason not to do it this way but it works for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Keret posted:

Speaking of expensive coffee stuff, has anyone used one of these Kone metal Chemex/V60 filters? Are they good/can they replace paper filters, or do they let too much junk through to work for pour-over?

My brother used metal filters for his chemex and aeropress, they allow for larger particle sizes so it makes a cup with more oils and full-bodied flavour. Can't say I was a fan, but he was fine with it.