Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Just popping in with a recommendation for UK goons: http://yorkcoffeeemporium.co.uk/coffee.html

Since I got an Aeropress I've been getting my beans from here as they roast to order. Pricey but the quality is great. Currently swapping between Sumatran Lintong as my weekday morning expresso and Australian Skybury as my weekend latte.

Has anyone here experimented with the inverted method of using an Aeropress? Any feedback or suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
My Dad spilt the beans on my birthday present a week early. "You like coffee don't you? I bought a bag of this stuff from Jamaica, Blue Mountain or some other kind of hippy name". Can't wait!

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I want to take a mypressi twist to work on my longer days, but I am not about to lug around a Baratza grinder!

Would it be absolutely terrible to grind 1-2 basket worth and keep it sealed in something airtight until I use it a few hours later?

Try it and see what you think. I did a blind trial of pre-ground versus fresh ground where my friend brewed the coffee so I didn't know which cup was which and I couldn't tell the difference. Some people are more sensitive tasters and can.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
My Dad excelled himself with my birthday present - freshly roasted beans covering Jamaican Blue Mountain, Ethiopian Yirgacheffe, Monsoon Malabar, and more. Pretty much the only things he didn't include were Hawaiian Kona and Kopi Luwak.

Gonna be a fun run-up to Christmas every morning!

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Monsoon Malabar: awesome.

It's really smooth with a soft smoky taste that's not at all overpowering. Easily the best coffee I've tried yet. Definitely going to order some more when I finish this batch.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Any recommendations for coffee in Paris? I'll do being a romantic weekend getaway with my partner there next week and drinking a hand-pulled expresso while smoking Gauloises is on my to-do list.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Does anyone have a grind size recommendation for the Aeropress when using a Hario Skereton? I'm not particularly inclined to wade through loads of cups to get the grind size right; I'd rather have a rough idea of what other people find a good grind to be and then fine-tune it.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I use a hand grinder because gently caress taking up counter-top space and an electric socket for something that gets used for 2 minutes a day.

Try a Hario Skereton, the finest grind setting produces pretty uniform particles, fine for pour-over/Aeropress. I don't do expresso at home but my friend got a good enough shot out of my grind to satisfy anyone who isn't a megasperg.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
What's the recommended thermometer for measuring water temperature if we're using a generic kettle?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

rockcity posted:

Any instant read thermometer is fine really. The de-facto recommendation if money isn't an issue is the Thermapen.

Are there any laser thermometers that aren't poo poo? The only way the Thermapen would work in my kettle is if I overfill it high enough for the probe to fit in, which is just wasteful of water.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Thanks, guys, that sounds like a much more practical solution to getting the right temperature. I'll try those methods out instead.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Has anyone else heard of the Nomad?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/uniterra-nomad/nomadtm-the-go-everywhere-espresso-machinetm

I've pre-ordered one as it'll be interesting to see if such a small footprint, hand powered machine will be able to deliver true expresso as opposed to faux-expresso. The 'true creama valve' sounds like an interesting concept too, can't for the life of me work out how it salvages poor quality grinds.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Whalley posted:

The Nomad sounds kind of an espresso machine for people who don't use espresso machines much. Between the weird, makes-me-uncomfortable rocking pressure lever, the "true crema valve" and the lack of any dials or anything to tell you what the water and coffee are doing, i can't see it being more than a gimmick.

In the video there's dials for the pressure so you can see if you're consistently hitting 8-10 bar.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

How long does it take to grind around 20-25g of coffee for a pour over with the Skerton?

I grind 15g of beans in about 60-75 seconds on one twist up from the tightest grind (not for pour-over though, grind time is dependent on grind size as well as amount).

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I've been using an inverted Aeropress method for my morning brew for a while now but today I forgot to put the filter cap on before I flipped it. Not the best idea I've ever had.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
This is the one I use - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWH7wcexiY

You'll need to tinker with the grind size to work out what works best because there's no way to judge the final product without finishing the entire process. I ended up going one revolution out from the smallest grind possible on a Hario Skereton.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
If you take good care of the rubber seal on the Aeropress (don't leave it in the barrel when not in use, wash and dry it immediately after use, don't use metal spoons for stirring etc), there's no risk of it leaking when you use it inverted. The only two problems are forgetting to put the filter cap on prior to flipping it over, and not keeping a solid grip on the plunger and the barrel at the same time (the plunger can come out and then you lose pressure).

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
The majority of the winning baristas at the worldwide Aeropress championships use the inverted method and they do it because it produces better tasting coffee. The manufacturer's recommended method produces a weak coffee without much taste coming through, by inverting it you get to control the immersion time and bring out more of the flavours.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah, well, Gordon Ramsay doesn't know how to use a knife hone and Dennis Chambers can't read music. "So and so does something" is a pretty weak argument. Proper extraction is the outcome of a multitude of variables. Does V60 suck because you can't control immersion time? no.

What are you going on about?

Your examples have nothing to do with mine: multiple baristas have won the world Aeropress championship using the inverted method because the judges felt it produced the best quality coffee. The whole point of inverting it is to give you more control over some of the variables involved in proper extraction.

It sounds like you're just being a hardcore snob about anyone not doing it the way you consider to be "right", which is just sad.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Can't answer the expresso bit but Monmouth is the best place to go for coffee beans in London in my opinion. I go to their Bermondsey location (open 9am-12pm on Saturdays only) because they do free coffees to let you sample everything until you decide what you want to buy.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Sorry, inverted Aeropress owns and forgetting to put the cap on before flipping it is a rite of passage.

e: to be less snarky, the only advantage of inverting is giving you control over the steep. I like it because then I have more variables I can play with to get the most out of my coffee.

Bobstar posted:

Ah yes, I work just near their Covent Garden shop, they do sampling too, but it does get very full.

This is why I like the Bermondsey one - it's just the back end of a warehouse under the railway arches where they roll the shutters up and do everything on a rough plywood counter. Don't think I've ever seen more than half a dozen people there at once so you have plenty of time to chat to the guys behind the counter and talk about what they've got

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Kaffeologie is the other manufacturer of a metal filter for the Aeropress - http://kaffeologie.com/shop/s-filter-for-aeropress-coffee-makers - the holes are a lot finer than the Kone filter so you get a much richer and fuller bodied taste from it.

Their customer service is good: mine didn't arrive so I emailed them and they sent out a replacement by priority shipping with no charge on the same day as my email.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

JDM3 posted:

Tried a recipe online for getting "crema" from an aeropress. This method makes a TERRIBLE shot of horrible tasting brew:

Very finely ground (almost powder) from my "Cuissential" hand grinder - two scoops, aeropress set at about 3. Pour 205 degree water around and into grounds until about an inch from the top. Quickly stir, let steep for about 10-15 seconds, then push plunger up until top of brew hits filter and starts coming out of the holes (use two filters, pre-wet). Supposedly this lets the oils in the "crema" through instead of going to the top when you flip it.

THEN you flip it and press it through at high pressure - like it takes 10 seconds or so. Because there's no air in it, eventually you hit the grounds and naturally stop.

When you eject the grounds, they have been packed into a tight puck - kind of cool, really.

Anyway, what you get has tiny dots of oil on the top, and tastes like poo poo - very bitter aftertaste. If you water it down, it still tastes like poo poo. If you add a LOT of half/half, it upgrades to barely tolerable. I literally had better in church this morning which was essentially coffee scented brown water, taken black (well, brown).

This method is a bust.

I don't see the point in trying to get creama from an Aeropress. I love mine but it's important to accept that the smallest volume of coffee it'll produce is just strong coffee, not actual expresso, and that you need to fall into the rabbit-hole of grinders and expresso machines if you want proper crema.

This is what I make for myself whenever I'm not using an inverted Aeropress recipe - I serve it in an expresso cup but I don't call it expresso.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
This Ethiopian coffee just became the best I've ever had - http://www.monmouthcoffee.co.uk/coffee/africa/ethiopia/kebel-konga - super light on the palate, delicious undertones of fruit and super smooth. Gonna burn though these beans so quickly because I can't stop drinking the delicious coffee they make.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
The recommended grinders in the OP aren't easily found in the UK (out of stock in most places or only sold second-hand). I ended up getting the De'Longhi LG79, which is really impressive: it's a burr grinder, the grind is super consistent and covers everything from French press to Aeropress via pour-over, it's also really compact if space is a concern, as well as being cheap. You could probably do espresso with the finest grind setting if you have a pressurised portafilter but obviously you'd be better off with a higher-quality grinder.

e: just note that the burrs are plastic so eventually you'll have to bin the grinder and get a new one when they wear down

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
What techniques do people recommend for Chemex?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I like a long black because it's the same volume as an Americano but you can keep the crema.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Smiley Face posted:

One of the pros of an aeropress is the easy clean up, a reusable filter would make that worse. I've also heard they get clogged eventually as well. Just use the paper ones IMO

Er, what? Using a metal filter in an Aeropress is no different to any other brewing method - just quickly run it under the tap afterwards to wash off a few coffee grounds and you're good to go. Gives a better taste than the paper ones too.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Sigg Steelworks thermal mugs are great - nice and compact, keeps coffee warm for 5-6 hours, trivial to keep clean etc. Cheap as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005WHYZIE

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
What are the iced coffee recipes winning favour itc? I have an Aeropress, Chemex, and french press and a decent amount of patience.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Just got my Baratza Encore, does anyone have some suggested grind settings for french press, Aeropress, and Chemex? Just so I have something to start experimenting from without having to do a bunch of tester grinds.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Keyser S0ze posted:

I'm pretty sure a hazed/cracking Aeropress and/or plastic V60 are from using boiling water.

My mother ruins both of hers every couple years because she is impatient and I buy her more of them

I've found that the Aeropress really shines when you use water at 80 degrees rather than the usual 90 degrees so putting boiling water in it is just another level of no why are you doing that

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Just weigh the beans and then grind them. You will lose such a negligible amount of weight that kitchen scales are too insensitive to notice it and it saves you from having to pitch excess coffee grinds because you used too much.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Location's irrelevant if you're in central London, it's trivial to get around on the tube and the overground.

The Evening Standard did a reasonable list of independents with the occasional so-so choice. I think the best ones are in East London partly because that's where I live and partly because that's where artisan hipster wankers gravitate with their obsessive interest in good coffee.

My personal recommendations are:

Monmouth Coffee - avoid the Covent Garden branch, Bermondsey is the best and is just down the road from the Spa Terminus market which is awesome. However it's only open on Saturday mornings and has no seating (it's mainly for people buying beans) making Borough Market the best-all round choice due to proximity to the market and for seating.

The Counter Cafe - amazing food (try the french toast with berries and almonds) but they also roast their own coffee and do excellent espresso-based drinks.

Look Mum No Hands - again mostly a cafe but does fantastic coffee, the Southbank pop-up is the current hotness.

Prufrock - these dudes are publicly anal about coffee in a way that's slightly embarrassing to witness. Great coffee though.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Try starting at 10 for Aeropress and 30 for Chemex then adjust from there depending how you find it coming out (ie. if under-extracted, tighten up the grind, if too bitter, make it coarser etc)

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Yeah I would start with a grind setting of 30 for Chemex on a Virtuoso/Encore and then adjust from there

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I don't know how many of you remember the Nomad - it's a manual espresso machine that had a bit of hype when the Kickstarter first launched then faded away after serial delays.

I got mine today, a year after the planned release date, and so far I'm impressed: the build quality's solid, the pumping action is smooth and it's not challenging to keep the pressure consistent (there's a helpfully labelled pressure gauge on top of the machine). I don't have any fresh beans to use right now, just garbage old ones, so I'm on my way to grab some from Monmouth Coffee at the moment.

Is anyone interested in having a more detailed photo review later or shall I just feed back on the quality of the espresso it produces? I'm not expecting amazing quality, especially as I'm using a Baratza Encore rather than a Virtuoso, but it'll be interesting to see if this can step into the entry-level gap left by the Mypressi Twist for people who just want espresso.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Here's a photo review of the Nomad. Executive summary: I love this thing and highly recommend it.

Overview

The whole thing's really compact, measuring about 15cm square and weighing just over a kilogram. The body's made out of plastic but really solidly assembled - no loose bits, no squeaks, everything moves smoothly and feels like it's not going to fall apart anytime soon - and the various levers are made out of aluminium.

The drawer poking out is the Nomad's equivalent of a portafilter, which is locked in place when the lever at the top is pushed down. You can see the pressure gauge at the top (usually sits further down in that hole but it rises up when the locking handle is up), the water tank cap is visible at the back behind the pump lever. There's some non-slip rubber feet on the bottom that do a good job of keeping the whole thing securely sitting still when it's in use.

Disassembled basket

This is the basket removed and separated into its component pieces going from innermost to outermost from left to right. You can see the "True Crema Valve" (TCV) just poking out of the bottom left hand corner of the middle piece.

You can order more than one basket so you can prep two drinks at once - the water tank holds up to 300ml so you can do one shot then immediately swap out the baskets and keep on pumping to make a second shot.

True Crema Valve

The TCV is the Nomad's equivalent of a pressurised portafilter and UniTerra are being cagey about how it works, presumably because they have a patent pending on it at the moment. This photo has the TCV unscrewed and placed on the right and you can see the little filter inside the basket holder as well. It works by not letting anything through until everything's under high enough pressure so it supposedly compensated for less precise grinding and tamping while still ensuring decent crema.

The TCV can be removed (and the manual says to remove that filter disk as well) and then it's like using a non-pressurised portafilter - the grind and the tamp really, really, really matter if you want to produce anything near a half decent espresso.

Pressure gauge

Close-up of the pressure gauge, helpfully colour-coded to try and keep you in that 6-10 bar sweet-spot. Warranty's invalidated if you go into the red but it's pretty hard to do that - once you've done a few shots you instinctively fall into the right pumping rhythm to keep the pressure floating in a tight range.

Grinding

The basket’s just the right size to fit straight into Baratza Encore so you can use the pulse button to grind straight into the basket.

The tamper they supply with the Nomad is decently heavy and fits the basket well.

Water tank

Insulated water tank for up to 300ml of water. The instructions say to pour water straight off the boil - when I get a chance I’ll play around with my Thermapen and see how well insulated the tank is. In the ~3 minutes between pouring water in and having a shot ready to drink, there’s no appreciable fall in temperature.

Ready to pump

Everything set and ready to pump. You put your espresso cup underneath the basket and the height clearance is just enough to accommodate it and you pump until your cup is full - the manual says you can pump until the tank is empty so you could pump 300ml through your puck if you really wanted to, although I’m not sure how you’d fit a cup capable of holding 300ml under the basket.

You can see the little plastic overhang under the end of the lever here. There’s one on either side and it’s ergonomically quite comfortable and lets you get a good pumping rhythm going quickly. 10-12 strokes to pre-soak the puck and then you pump at the rate required to keep the pressure gauge in the green and stop once your cup's filled to the desired level.

Final product

This is with the TCV fitted. Really smooth and silky crema, well extracted and not a hint of bitterness or sourness throughout the entire cup. Unfortunately I don’t have any espresso glasses so you can’t see the side profile and I can't film myself pumping but you can see both in this video of one of the prototypes.

I’ll try it without the TCV later and see how it comes out but this shot was fantastic as it was (Ethiopian Yirgacheffe from Prufock).

I'd really recommend this to anyone who wants to make espresso without having to devote lots of space and money to it. It's compact, the TCV means it's pretty forgiving of imprecise grind/tamp, it's really simple to use and doesn't feel like it's going to break any time soon, and it produces a really solid espresso.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

What's the current status of the mypressi?

Dead - https://twitter.com/espressi/status/523660224805101568

Google Butt posted:

I kinda want to impulse buy that. Are they still available?

Their website says they're out of stock and not available for order. Hopefully they made enough off the Kickstarter that they can establish a regular production run; one of the Kickstarter updates was from the SCAA annual convention and said they were negotiating with various resellers to get it into stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Got any links to tea sperglords going at it?

I once saw a decent argument going on over at /r/coffee over whether you should discard the loving bloom water before continuing with the rest of the pour, which is pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel for coffee spergery outside of espresso fanatics.