Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I guess I can see why some people might want a convenient all-in-one machine that does all the work for you so you don't have to actually learn anything about coffee or be engaged with creating the cup in any way, but it's sort of the opposite of what being a coffee enthusiast is actually about, so I doubt it'll get much traction among this crowd. And I think that most people who want a convenient all-in-one probably don't actually give a poo poo about how their coffee tastes or whether it brewed for, say, 2 minutes and 30 seconds or 2 minutes and 45 seconds.

The only real advantage I can see for something like the Bruvelo over a standard hand pourover system is that you save, what, 3, 4 minutes? Personally, I relish the time I spend making the coffee and the process of making it as much as I enjoy the cup itself. It's nice (and healthy!) to take a short break from what I'm doing to perform a short ritual to produce a delicious cup of coffee.

Obviously my approach isn't for everyone, but I think if you're the type of person who would actually notice or care about the subtle differences in flavor and mouthfeel brought about by subtle modifications of grind size or extraction time, then you're not the set-it-and-forget-it type of coffee drinker—you're a coffee nerd, and you'll probably enjoy a more traditional brew method that gives you more personal control and contact with the brewing process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...
Okay guys, I want a decent little roaster. My neighbor let me borrow his Nesco, and its pretty decent... but I've read some bad reviews re: longevity.

Whats the hotness right now for taking roasting up to the next level, 1/4 to 1/2 lb at a time, and getting the most out of my beans? Is it the new behmor?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

dhrusis posted:

Okay guys, I want a decent little roaster. My neighbor let me borrow his Nesco, and its pretty decent... but I've read some bad reviews re: longevity.

Whats the hotness right now for taking roasting up to the next level, 1/4 to 1/2 lb at a time, and getting the most out of my beans? Is it the new behmor?

From what the thread has been indicating, it's the old Behmor. Apparently a lot of the safety features in the new one are screwing up people's roasts pretty regularly. I have a Freshroast SR500 that I like, but it's big downfall is batch size as it will only do maybe 1/5th of a pound at a time.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

rockcity posted:

From what the thread has been indicating, it's the old Behmor. Apparently a lot of the safety features in the new one are screwing up people's roasts pretty regularly. I have a Freshroast SR500 that I like, but it's big downfall is batch size as it will only do maybe 1/5th of a pound at a time.

I actually think that this will be better for the price... that way I will roast more often I guess... fresher coffee will be the result... I kinda wanted something I could jump to for semi-pro roasting though.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anyone learn anything exciting about the siphon brewing method in the past 4 years? I've bought one from a thrift store and looked into it a bit and it seems the internet got bored of it in 2010.

I know most things about the pour overs I do already have changed a good bit in the past 4 years so I'd have figured other brew methods would have advanced as well. But maybe that's not the case?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Sextro posted:

Anyone learn anything exciting about the siphon brewing method in the past 4 years? I've bought one from a thrift store and looked into it a bit and it seems the internet got bored of it in 2010.

I know most things about the pour overs I do already have changed a good bit in the past 4 years so I'd have figured other brew methods would have advanced as well. But maybe that's not the case?

There's been some talk about it in the last few pages, starting about here i think.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

dik-dik posted:

There's been some talk about it in the last few pages, starting about here i think.

Yeah, I'd seen that but thought it was a coffee geek thread for some reason hah. And yeah much the same ran across the blue bottle recipe first. Intelligentsia has one too with a lot of similarities but a few key differences. Guess I'll just dust off the refractometer and do some sperging.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
^^^
I use mine about a once a week. I use about 8 grams of coffee per "cup" on my 5 cup Yama. I start with water at about 205 from my Bonavita kettle and pour it in and light the burner, then put the top part straight into it. If you start with water too cold, it could end up getting to the coffee early and poorly extracting it. As for the brew time, I've read anywhere from 30 to 90 seconds. I've settled on 70 seconds being on my magic number, at least for the grind I typically use, which is the same grind that I use in my V60. I also transitioned to using a metal filter instead of the cloth ones. The cloth ones are great and leave a super clean cup, but they're just too much work to clean compared to the metal ones and I get very little sediment using the metal one.

dhrusis posted:

I actually think that this will be better for the price... that way I will roast more often I guess... fresher coffee will be the result... I kinda wanted something I could jump to for semi-pro roasting though.

For what it's worth, I like my Freshroast a lot, it just won't do a lot of coffee. I definitely agree about getting fresher coffee that way. I roast every few days because of it so my coffee is rarely ever more than a week from the roast date. The only times I really do feel held back is if I'm roasting some up to bring somewhere with me either to use on a trip or for a gift. It will do a fine job roasting and get pretty even results every time as long as you don't overload it, which is tempting to do because the chamber is pretty large compared to what you actually put in it.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 28, 2014

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I don't know how many of you remember the Nomad - it's a manual espresso machine that had a bit of hype when the Kickstarter first launched then faded away after serial delays.

I got mine today, a year after the planned release date, and so far I'm impressed: the build quality's solid, the pumping action is smooth and it's not challenging to keep the pressure consistent (there's a helpfully labelled pressure gauge on top of the machine). I don't have any fresh beans to use right now, just garbage old ones, so I'm on my way to grab some from Monmouth Coffee at the moment.

Is anyone interested in having a more detailed photo review later or shall I just feed back on the quality of the espresso it produces? I'm not expecting amazing quality, especially as I'm using a Baratza Encore rather than a Virtuoso, but it'll be interesting to see if this can step into the entry-level gap left by the Mypressi Twist for people who just want espresso.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

kim jong-illin posted:

I don't know how many of you remember the Nomad - it's a manual espresso machine that had a bit of hype when the Kickstarter first launched then faded away after serial delays.

I got mine today, a year after the planned release date, and so far I'm impressed: the build quality's solid, the pumping action is smooth and it's not challenging to keep the pressure consistent (there's a helpfully labelled pressure gauge on top of the machine). I don't have any fresh beans to use right now, just garbage old ones, so I'm on my way to grab some from Monmouth Coffee at the moment.

Is anyone interested in having a more detailed photo review later or shall I just feed back on the quality of the espresso it produces? I'm not expecting amazing quality, especially as I'm using a Baratza Encore rather than a Virtuoso, but it'll be interesting to see if this can step into the entry-level gap left by the Mypressi Twist for people who just want espresso.

I'm definitely interested. I'm fairly sure a CC1 is what I'm going to be buying but might as well keep looking.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

kim jong-illin posted:

Definitely curious for a picture review, I'm a lever fan and love to see other/newer machines.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

dhrusis posted:

Hopefully this isn't too much: I've looked at this exact thing over many times for months. Essentially you have three known market options other more prosumer/sample roasters and then Chinese options then eBay.

Behemor, gene cafe and hottop are market ones on Amazon that I feel get better more commercial like roasts used several times over and over. Also as others mentions obviously a fresh roast machine. With that said I'd do Behemor over and over then a gene then hottop. Mostly down to venting issues.ive had better roasts from a behmor than people using big machines.

Prosumer: Probat has a barrel sample roaster that hangs around but you'll spend a pretty penny even used. Diedrich has an old model: the hr and sr 1. I use it and get awesome roasts. However they're not cheap and rare.!Even used looking at 3-4 grand. Cafemino is about 7k. There's the electric roaster sold by mill city but it's 4grand and heavvvvy. Sometimes small Ambexes pop up but the company went under. There's the proster after that. They're out of st Louis. The San Franciscan is about 9k. The giesen is 13k. The us roaster corp I forget.

There's a guy in sf that built his roaster for 3 grand but it's hit or miss. His name is Dustin and He posts on Craigslist. Do a search all craigslist for roasters for sale with that. you have a variety of Chinese options on alibaba. They're one style roasters. You can snag one for 1500 but I'm dubious of the roast quality. Not much info out there but the price is attractive. I considered it for the less nuanced coffees.

There is a roaster called the Kaldi being sold on eBay and I think Amazon. Looks weird but is the price of a gene. The huky is a great roaster and I think 1300 or so shipped. Many roasters use it I've found (as their sample roaster) and I do too. Love it.

After all that is the modded grill roaster. Some roasters do this method. I'm thinking of biting on one just because of the capacity. Maybe it would work on less nuanced bean where exact temps and airflow doesn't matter too much and its one of those second crack coffees.theyre cheap and you can find them all the time on eBay.

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 29, 2014

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What's the current status of the mypressi?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Here's a photo review of the Nomad. Executive summary: I love this thing and highly recommend it.

Overview

The whole thing's really compact, measuring about 15cm square and weighing just over a kilogram. The body's made out of plastic but really solidly assembled - no loose bits, no squeaks, everything moves smoothly and feels like it's not going to fall apart anytime soon - and the various levers are made out of aluminium.

The drawer poking out is the Nomad's equivalent of a portafilter, which is locked in place when the lever at the top is pushed down. You can see the pressure gauge at the top (usually sits further down in that hole but it rises up when the locking handle is up), the water tank cap is visible at the back behind the pump lever. There's some non-slip rubber feet on the bottom that do a good job of keeping the whole thing securely sitting still when it's in use.

Disassembled basket

This is the basket removed and separated into its component pieces going from innermost to outermost from left to right. You can see the "True Crema Valve" (TCV) just poking out of the bottom left hand corner of the middle piece.

You can order more than one basket so you can prep two drinks at once - the water tank holds up to 300ml so you can do one shot then immediately swap out the baskets and keep on pumping to make a second shot.

True Crema Valve

The TCV is the Nomad's equivalent of a pressurised portafilter and UniTerra are being cagey about how it works, presumably because they have a patent pending on it at the moment. This photo has the TCV unscrewed and placed on the right and you can see the little filter inside the basket holder as well. It works by not letting anything through until everything's under high enough pressure so it supposedly compensated for less precise grinding and tamping while still ensuring decent crema.

The TCV can be removed (and the manual says to remove that filter disk as well) and then it's like using a non-pressurised portafilter - the grind and the tamp really, really, really matter if you want to produce anything near a half decent espresso.

Pressure gauge

Close-up of the pressure gauge, helpfully colour-coded to try and keep you in that 6-10 bar sweet-spot. Warranty's invalidated if you go into the red but it's pretty hard to do that - once you've done a few shots you instinctively fall into the right pumping rhythm to keep the pressure floating in a tight range.

Grinding

The basket’s just the right size to fit straight into Baratza Encore so you can use the pulse button to grind straight into the basket.

The tamper they supply with the Nomad is decently heavy and fits the basket well.

Water tank

Insulated water tank for up to 300ml of water. The instructions say to pour water straight off the boil - when I get a chance I’ll play around with my Thermapen and see how well insulated the tank is. In the ~3 minutes between pouring water in and having a shot ready to drink, there’s no appreciable fall in temperature.

Ready to pump

Everything set and ready to pump. You put your espresso cup underneath the basket and the height clearance is just enough to accommodate it and you pump until your cup is full - the manual says you can pump until the tank is empty so you could pump 300ml through your puck if you really wanted to, although I’m not sure how you’d fit a cup capable of holding 300ml under the basket.

You can see the little plastic overhang under the end of the lever here. There’s one on either side and it’s ergonomically quite comfortable and lets you get a good pumping rhythm going quickly. 10-12 strokes to pre-soak the puck and then you pump at the rate required to keep the pressure gauge in the green and stop once your cup's filled to the desired level.

Final product

This is with the TCV fitted. Really smooth and silky crema, well extracted and not a hint of bitterness or sourness throughout the entire cup. Unfortunately I don’t have any espresso glasses so you can’t see the side profile and I can't film myself pumping but you can see both in this video of one of the prototypes.

I’ll try it without the TCV later and see how it comes out but this shot was fantastic as it was (Ethiopian Yirgacheffe from Prufock).

I'd really recommend this to anyone who wants to make espresso without having to devote lots of space and money to it. It's compact, the TCV means it's pretty forgiving of imprecise grind/tamp, it's really simple to use and doesn't feel like it's going to break any time soon, and it produces a really solid espresso.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I kinda want to impulse buy that. Are they still available?

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

What's the current status of the mypressi?

Dead - https://twitter.com/espressi/status/523660224805101568

Google Butt posted:

I kinda want to impulse buy that. Are they still available?

Their website says they're out of stock and not available for order. Hopefully they made enough off the Kickstarter that they can establish a regular production run; one of the Kickstarter updates was from the SCAA annual convention and said they were negotiating with various resellers to get it into stores.

radthibodaux
Nov 1, 2011

HOLD ON TO YOUR BUTTS

Looks like you can still snag one on eBay if you're so inclined to buy a discontinued, ridiculously complex gadget packed full of proprietary parts that you will probably never be able to get replacements for.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
So for anyone not in the know... I just re-installed the Aeropress iOS app and was pleasantly surprised to discover they've made some big improvements to the information it displays for timing your aeropress brews.

Worth checking out for anyone using an aeropress.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
found some fresh yirgacheffe city+ (light-medium) roasted beans at whole foods. definitely had to dial this one up to 204f and at least 3 notches smaller on my virtuoso from my normal stumptown settings. it's good stuff but what's most interesting is just how slow the water drained through my kalita 155 vs just about every other bean i've had. it was so slow that it made reaching a 3m brew time too easy.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Fellow gaggia classic folks: what's the recommendation for cleaning? I feel like I've probably gone too long without cleaning mine and it's making me feel gross.

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

dik-dik posted:

Fellow gaggia classic folks: what's the recommendation for cleaning? I feel like I've probably gone too long without cleaning mine and it's making me feel gross.

I just backflush with cafiza according to the instructions on the container... but I have soft water. You may want to descale.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

dik-dik posted:

Wholelattelove has a few videos on youtube about cleaning the Gaggia. I just follow what they do. Unscrew the plate and clean all that gunk in there. Even backflushing won't remove all those stuck grounds.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

Wholelattelove has a few videos on youtube about cleaning the Gaggia. I just follow what they do. Unscrew the plate and clean all that gunk in there. Even backflushing won't remove all those stuck grounds.

Is this the same for other gaggia models? I've got the "new baby". We have a filtered water tap and I clean it like wiping the head after uses.

Whole latte love has it and other models in the clearance/refurb section for cheap for anyone who wants to buy a machine. Email list signup discount applies too!

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Is there a recommended thermos in the 20oz range? I'm looking for at least 6-7 hours of heat retention. I do prefer glass lined because those seem more flavor neutral.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Fellow home roasters: what are good (cheap) indoor home roasting options? I currently do HGDB but it's getting cold outside so I want to move to something I can do indoors. I used to use an Air Crazy or whatever popcorn popper which was okay but not great. Thinking of trying out the whirley pop. Anyone here tried one?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Behmor, but anything you do is gonna smell like a mother fucker

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Google Butt posted:

This. I can roast inside with my FreshRoast but the smell stays in the house for a long time and my wife hates it so I roast on my back porch. Thankfully I live in FL so outdoor roasting isn't an issue most of the time.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is anyone still selling the old (non "Plus") Behmors? Or are they all gone now? :(

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

dik-dik posted:

Is anyone still selling the old (non "Plus") Behmors? Or are they all gone now? :(

If you get a line on one of these I want one too.

toenut
Apr 11, 2003

fourth and nine
This looks like it would be really cool to have in a shop

http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/07/poursteady-expand-ny/

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Google Butt posted:

My Behmor sets off my smoke alarms when it goes into the cooling cycle. It shits out a lot of Co2.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Yeah, I've used my Genecafe in the kitchen under the stove hood, but I had to run the hood on high to avoid the smoke detector and that makes it tough to hear first and second crack. Thankfully our weather in SF stays pretty pleasant, so I'm still happily roasting outside.

Finally stopped dicking around with roast profiles and recipes and just went full heat from start to finish (ended right as second crack started). Best batch I've brewed to date by far.

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
I bought an Aeropress cause it looked cool but it makes coffee that tastes like burned poo. I've tried different time, temp, filters, methods and it all tastes like rear end. What could I be doing wrong?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Huskalator posted:

I bought an Aeropress cause it looked cool but it makes coffee that tastes like burned poo. I've tried different time, temp, filters, methods and it all tastes like rear end. What could I be doing wrong?

Have you tried using different coffee? If your coffee tastes burnt, it's probably burnt.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah your brewing method can't create a burnt taste out of thin air.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

Huskalator posted:

I find that a (relatively) coarse grind works well for Aeropress. It's possible you're over-extracting due to an overly fine grind, or you just have lovely coffee. I use the Stumptown method: http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/aeropress/

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ded posted:

My Behmor sets off my smoke alarms when it goes into the cooling cycle. It shits out a lot of Co2.

Try near your kitchen exhaust. Also open the thing up as cleaning the inside does make a difference. They use a super small electrostatic filter and it gets grubby fast. If you want to be super crazy you can always buy a carbon filter at Home Depot. Attach it to the front side of a fan that's setup next to the machine. I have a super setup one for my roasters that kill the smoke and smells. You also can just buy piping from Home Depot and vent out. (Put a fan on the opposite end)

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

MasterControl posted:

They use a super small electrostatic filter

Is this a common thing!? I always thought it was weird that kitchen "vents" in all the apartments I've had just sucked air up and then immediately blew it back out towards the ceiling. If they all had an electrostatic filter that would make SO much more sense! I guess I should open mine up and clean it since it's getting too cold to roast with the window open anymore.

\/\/ Ohhh, inside the filter

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 14, 2014

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Corla Plankun posted:

Is this a common thing!? I always thought it was weird that kitchen "vents" in all the apartments I've had just sucked air up and then immediately blew it back out towards the ceiling. If they all had an electrostatic filter that would make SO much more sense! I guess I should open mine up and clean it since it's getting too cold to roast with the window open anymore.

Outside of big industries I don't believe so. Most roasters use afterburners (if they use one at all, many don't!) which is 1000 degree plus heat. I have thencarbon thing. There's a water process that involves mist and then electrostatic. Ill find the video of it on YouTube.

Here it is

http://youtu.be/oJWFIcpWQYk

Cleaning out vents makes a difference. I roast light and can tell when I haven't cleaned out the tubing. Someone can probably explain better but I guess more stuff inside then more smoke. It's a hassle taking all the stuff off by the way. Lots of screws.

MasterControl fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

The Polish Pirate posted:

Yeah, I've used my Genecafe in the kitchen under the stove hood, but I had to run the hood on high to avoid the smoke detector and that makes it tough to hear first and second crack. Thankfully our weather in SF stays pretty pleasant, so I'm still happily roasting outside.

Finally stopped dicking around with roast profiles and recipes and just went full heat from start to finish (ended right as second crack started). Best batch I've brewed to date by far.

P1 on the Behmor is full power start to finish. P1 or bust :colbert:

Seriously, it roasts the best tasting batches.