Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

The Third Man posted:

Is a cuisinart burr grinder an acceptable purchase for aeropress/frenchpress coffee? I know there are better ones out there but I can't afford to spend a whole lot.

Same bad experience here, tons of dust and loud as hell. Got a Capresso Infinity for Christmas, and hooooooly crap, it is so much better. Save up for a good grinder, it's 100% worth the wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I was running low on coffee today and decided I'd try a roaster aside from Intelligensia, so I ordered a couple of things from Four Barrel. I was telling my wife how expensive it was for two 12 oz bags of coffee, and she mentioned that I'd talked about trying to roast my own periodically over the last couple of years.

So now I've got two bags of Four Barrel coffee coming, along with a dog bowl, heat gun, and sampler pack from Sweet Maria's.

I'm so excited :dance:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

What did you buy? I've tried everything from Four Barrel, and they are served in many restaurants and cafes around here.

I got the Sumatra Tano Batak and Columbia Andino.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Question about home roasting: what do you guys think of roasting on a grill using an aluminum pan? Think of the disposable pan you get fajitas or pasta in. I figure no hotspots, easy to stir the beans, and those containers are cheap as hell and (obviously) disposable. Plus I figure I'd be able to hear first and second crack pretty easily.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I went from fresh locally roasted coffee to instant for a couple of weeks. On purpose. I had a weird, weird craving for it.

I won't be doing that again any time soon.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Went outside today, heat gun/pie pan/green coffee in hand. Turned the heat gun on low fearing I'd fry the beans too fast. A LOOOONG time later, wondering if I'd somehow missed first crack, turned the gun up to high.

Cue the cracking/flying chaff/smoke a couple of minutes later! Definitely no missing first crack unless you're blind and deaf. Gave it a bit more time after cracking stopped, then cooled it over an elevated box fan on a mesh thingy we had in the kitchen; the cooling went really quickly.

Started out with 227g green beans, wound up with 140g of roasted beans. I compared the beans with some I got from a local roaster a couple of days ago and they look pretty comparable, although a bit darker (probably a FC, definitely not a French roast). They smell really good, even my son took a good whiff :)

They're outgassing in an unsealed container until tomorrow and we'll see how my first batch went. Very excited!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Next time keep the gun on high and just move it another inch away during first crack. Congrats!

Edit: If you have a lot of the same bean, I recommend timing the roast and recording when first crack starts,the duration, total roast time, and maybe even ambient temperature. After that write down how it tasted, then you will have some data to work off for your next roast, or whenever you buy that bean again.

Definitely did some data collection. I found a roasting log template online and printed it out, and made some notes on it like you suggested.

I got the 4 pound sampler from Sweet Maria's, so I'll probably do another roast later today with a different bean. Because I can :dance:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Sweet! This time try keeping it on high from the get go with the gun 1/2" above the beans, back off to 1.5"-2" when first crack is rolling. Since you know how long first crack lasted it might be cool to shoot for a lighter roast and stop right when first crack ends, or even a second before.

Remember, never stop stirring while the gun is pointed at the beans!

Ahh, you know, thanks for clarifying the distance from the heat gun to the beans! On the low setting I had it about an inch away forever, but sort of kept it the same distance after turning the gun on high. Plus, the high setting really blew the beans around pretty good, but I don't think I stirred enough while it was on low. Definitely doing another roast later!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'm going to try your technique with the next batch. I've been agitating while going over the beans with the gun; it seemed a little more uneven with the second batch. The first batch I'd go over the beans for a bit, stir, repeat, and they all seemed to be pretty evenly roasted.

Second batch went waaaay faster than the first, but not overly fast. The color is a bit lighter than the first batch which was what I was going for, now I just need to get my technique down so the roast is more even.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

What's up, newbie roasting bro! Looks good!

I tried out the Costa Rica that I roasted Saturday and am drinking the Sumatra from that same evening, and I'm sort of surprised at how much more distinct the flavors are compared to beans I've gotten from local or popular roasters. I was mentally prepared for them to not taste quite right simply because they are my first batches, but I'm thinking I'm going to be hooked on this. It's cheaper than buying from a roaster, the taste is just as good, and it's really fun!

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 19, 2014

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

mr. yolk posted:

The filters are pretty drat cheap though. $4 for 350 filters. I mean, you can friggin compost them if you feel so bad about your waste. If you drink one a day, that's pretty much a year supply.

Reusing them is nuts. There's no excuse.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

dik-dik posted:

Ahh. I wasn't running the heat gun on high the whole time (I started on low), so I'll try it again on high the whole time and see how it goes.

I did the same thing. 20 minutes in and I'm going "WHY NO CRACKING?" Cranked it up to high. Halleluia chorus plays after a few minutes when first crack starts.

Question for roasters: Have any of you noticed that Sumatra peaberry tends to have a much quieter crack than other beans? I roasted some over the weekend and I hardly heard anything, but with chaff flying and some smoke I knew I was close to where I wanted it to be (it actually turned out great).

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

The Bonavita Variable Kettle is down to $65 again. I've been using it for a while and I think it's better than the Hario in every way.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005YR0F40?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=as2

Got one for Christmas and now I feel like I was living in the dark ages before I got it.

"Microwaving water? How did we live? "

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Just got back from a vacation in rural Michigan. Woke up early every morning and had coffee on the patio overlooking one of the many small lakes near my hometown. There's nothing like watching the sun rise over a still lake in southern Michigan.

I drank Folger's the whole time, and I swear it was the best coffee ever.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

becoming posted:

I typically go through about 110g beans in a day, more if I'm up early or bored.

:stonklol:

You scare me.

I also found out today that I left my French press with wet grounds sitting on our counter for 2 weeks while we were on vacation. Any suggestions for cleaning the moldy spots off the mesh? I've already scrubbed the hell out of it with a brush/soap/water.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 5, 2014

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hexigrammus posted:

Try soaking for an hour or two in a 10% bleach solution. Rinse thoroughly, repeat soap scrub, rinse well with hot water.

I wound up soaking it overnight in vinegar and that seemed to nuke the crap out of the mold. Going to give it a good scrubbing with soap and water again and see if my coffee has the wondrous tang of vinegar!

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Shugojin posted:

I got a siphon for christmas :coffeepal:

I've been looking at those on and off forever. Convince me I need one because I've got a Visa gift card sitting here dying to buy something.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

A 5-cup Yama stove top siphon will be at my house tonight! If I didn't have to get up in the morning I'd be brewing some coffee when I walked in the door.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I may know the answer to this already, but:

The last few of my roasts have been weird. Not cracking, no chaff, but the beans are browning and seem to be expanding. Taste-wise it's off, too. They taste... organic, if that makes sense. Not coffee organic.

I do heat gun/dog bowl, and haven't changed technique or anything, and I've even asked Sweet Maria's if they've had any complaints about the beans, and after hearing my story they suggest I'm under roasting. I don't taste anything grassy, but I'm thinking maybe the heat gun is toast, even though it seems like it's blowing hot as hell (and readily killed a wasp yesterday).

Any advice from HG/DB bros?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

So now that I'm thinking about it, the heat gun is almost a year old. And I noticed the issues sort of all at once, and now pretty consistently with 3 different beans.

As far as environmental stuff, I roasted in the garage, which I've been doing pretty much since last fall, with the same outlet and extension cord.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I was talking to my wife about the heat gun eyes, and she suggested I try roasting on the grill.

Any of you guys doing that? I looked at the Whirly Pop and roasting drums, but I'm not sure which way I want to go.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I've got a gas grill with low/medium/high settings, plus I'd probably get a cheap cast iron skillet to set the Whirly Pop in to help control the heat.

Flattened Spoon posted:

You can get a whirley pop from Sweet Marias with an 8 pound sampler added for $46.50 (an 8 pound sampler is usually $39.50). $7 to try it is a pretty sweet deal.

Wow... I think I might have to give it a try.

a mysterious cloak fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 12, 2015

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

What's the deal with the espresso hairdryer?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

It's fine. As long as you have your water/coffee ratios right it's all good.

Question for coffee bros: how do I break my crippling cream-and-sugar-in-coffee addiction? I've cut down to basically half a teaspoon of sugar and about the same amount of creamer but I just can't get myself to drinking black coffee. I'm a heretic, I know.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ever have one of those days when you're sicker than hell, and while staggering through making coffee in the morning you pour the water in the grinder and almost put beans in the kettle?

Yeah. :stare:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Tomie knows me posted:

That's why I pull & drink 4 double shots to """dial in""" the machine every morning before actually making my pre-work coffee.

That's a normal and healthy amount of coffee, right?

As long as you're not having chest pain...

Related note: when I worked nights, I drank a ton of lovely coffee regularly enough that I started having severe palpitations and almost passed out a few times. My buddies in the ER were super supportive and caring while they checked me out They laughed their asses off and ragged on me about it for months afterward

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

The_Rob posted:

So I just got this in the mail today.

It's scary and exciting and I have some green beans getting delivered tomorrow.

I... I want that. I love the simplicity of the heat gun, but that... That is beautiful. :allears:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'm so desperately tired that I'm... I'm drinking...

It's from a Keurig, okay? It's absolutely awful and I am ashamed.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

When I'm that low I just bung ground coffee, jeez have some standards man

I know. I was at work and it's all they had. I am a terrible person.

To continue my bad coffee choices, I'm drinking United Airlines coffee right now. Significantly better than Keurig, slightly reminiscent of McDonald's coffee (which I don't think is bad at all).

I'm on vacation to rural Michigan so coffee choices are going to be thin for a while. Maybe I'll find a Tim Horton's while I'm there.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Is there such a thing as a coffee barn-find, like with cars?

https://imgur.com/gallery/70jHH

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

That's some 30+ year old, aged-to-perfection instant decaf right there, though

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

I have the Zojirushi 32oz Sports bottle and it's pretty great. Leakproof, keeps coffee hot, not too difficult to clean, and it looks nice. The lid is a mug, and it comes with a strap + handle to carry.

Alternatively they have a 20oz travel mug, which is also pretty great. I've used the 16oz for a while and it was fantastic.

I would love to find a travel mug that doesn't make the coffee taste like plastic or metal. Either of these fit the bill?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I wish there was an in-between method for roasting instead of going from heat gun/dog bowl to a $400 Behmor (or more). I like to do about 1/2 pound at a time, and I'd like to find something a little less labor intensive (the stirring kills my arthritic wrists). Thought about trying the whirly pop, but then I'd be standing in the sun next to a burner or the grill when it's 100 degrees outside :cry:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I would rather suck a tailpipe than quit coffee cold turkey again, oh my god. It was miserable. If you're determined to taper down, just taper off slowly and save yourself the withdrawal.

TheDarkFlame posted:

There was a video a while back in the thread of a guy who took the heat gun method a step further by adding a flour sifter and a cordless drill to make his own automated roaster setup. Seemed a little bit involved but not impossible. I'll see if I can find it.

EDIT: This is the same video someone posted before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LivLKX9L6Rk
There's also some similar builds and ideas on Sweet Maria's, and there's also this build I found elsewhere. But if the stirring is giving you a problem, it definitely looks like it's not unreasonable to make some kind of mechanism to do that for you.

Oh, I think I've seen that one from this thread before and forgot about it. Or maybe it was with a drill. Thanks for the links, I'll have to see if I can cobble something together.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

There Bias Two posted:

I'm surprised that people are apparently getting massive headaches from quitting coffee.

I tried quitting about 15 years ago and had a huge non-stop headache for a solid week. And the rage, my god, the rage...

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

iospace posted:

So you resembled your avatar?

Possibly... It's all a little hazy.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Frankston posted:

I find myself using my french press more and more these days because it's imo the quickest and easiest way to make coffee and I can't be bothered with all the faffing that comes with pourover.

Saying that, can anyone give recommendations for a good cafetiere or is it a case of "they're all pretty much the same thing don't spend more than £10 on one you dummy".

I have a cheap glass one and a nice stainless steel one, they're all pretty much the same.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

So my arthritic wrists are rapidly making heat gun/dog bowl very, very uncomfortable. Thinking about getting the behmor 1600, but not sure if it will roast to a full city which is my preference. Any input on darker roasts with the Behmor? Or suggestions for a different roaster?

I could probably justify $400 hundred bucks for a roaster to my wife, but anything more than that would be pushing it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

The Creature posted:

I have a Behmor 1600 Plus that I use for dark roasts all the time. There are preset timers, and I think the longest you can set it to is 23 minutes and something. However, the way around it is to push the "C" button before the time runs out, and it will just start a 3 minute count down. This is supposed to be a "first crack" timer, but you aren't limited to how many times you can start it over. It's kind of a pain in the rear end, but much preferable to the HGDB method that I was using.

Mr. Mambold posted:

It's got 18 minute preset for a pound, and then yeah the C button gets another 3-4 minutes
Plus a 15 second bump button. You go that far on high heat setting, you'll likely have charcoal. You want to pull out before then.
You need to watch the tutes and play with smaller amounts to get a feel for it, as they recommend.
I love mine.

Okay guys, thanks! I remembered reading (I think at Sweet Maria's) that the Behmor is bad at dark roasts for some reason. If I can't move my wrists after I roast today, I may order one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I have a Behmor on the way! Can't beat a free 8 pound sampler with the roaster, holy crap. That's a lot of practice coffee.