Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I do like Keemuns.

I got on that puerh sampler offer as well. I'm very new to fine loose leaf teas and the only way to learn is to taste!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Does anyone want a free half pound of Silk Road Hairy Crab? The bags are opened but I promise they are in a sanitary state.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
What's your travel mug of choice? My fiance recently got into tea, and said she wanted a mug for taking to work. Her commute is about a half hour, so I don't know about one with an infuser since it infusing for that long is going to lead to some bitter-rear end tea.

This thread put me onto Harney & Sons and we love it. I got my mother the Celebration/Hanukkah tea which she likes, but not as a regular everyday tea - for that she mostly drinks Earl Grey Supreme (like me); and my fiance loves spiced black tea - any recommendations for something they might like as a gift? I haven't tried Adagio, but they've got a $5 off coupon.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

LifeLynx posted:

What's your travel mug of choice? My fiance recently got into tea, and said she wanted a mug for taking to work. Her commute is about a half hour, so I don't know about one with an infuser since it infusing for that long is going to lead to some bitter-rear end tea.

This thread put me onto Harney & Sons and we love it. I got my mother the Celebration/Hanukkah tea which she likes, but not as a regular everyday tea - for that she mostly drinks Earl Grey Supreme (like me); and my fiance loves spiced black tea - any recommendations for something they might like as a gift? I haven't tried Adagio, but they've got a $5 off coupon.

I use a Zojirushi travel vacuum flask that is effective at keeping hot tea hot to the point where I can make tea before going to bed, seal the lid and have too-hot-to-drink tea when I get to work in the morning.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

I use a 20oz yeti mug. Brew tea and heat mug at the same time and it stays well hot enough for hours. If I’m going longer I have a thermos that stays at 140-160F for 48 hours.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I use a Zojirushi travel vacuum flask that is effective at keeping hot tea hot to the point where I can make tea before going to bed, seal the lid and have too-hot-to-drink tea when I get to work in the morning.

That might be ideal - make tea the night before and take it to work instead of rushing in the morning. Do you know which one by chance? There are a bunch of Zojirushi travel mugs on Amazon.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

LifeLynx posted:

That might be ideal - make tea the night before and take it to work instead of rushing in the morning. Do you know which one by chance? There are a bunch of Zojirushi travel mugs on Amazon.

I've had both the 16oz one listed on Amazon as "Zojirushi Stainless Steel Mug, 16oz" and the 20oz one listed as "Zojirushi SM-SA60BA Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Mug" and they're both great. Really just depends on what size you want!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I don't use it for tea but I have one of the 20 oz ones and it is legitimately shocking how well insulated it is for how light it is. I've had ice cubes remain solid in it for nearly a day.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

LifeLynx posted:

... my fiance loves spiced black tea - any recommendations for something they might like as a gift?

Everyone I know who drinks spiced/flavored teas at all loves this stuff or some basically identical brand's spin on it.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LifeLynx posted:

my fiance loves spiced black tea - any recommendations for something they might like as a gift? I haven't tried Adagio, but they've got a $5 off coupon.

Get a good, robust, black tea and make your own Masala Chai with their favorite spices.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
So, it's been about, what, more than ten years this thread has been going, and I'm kicking around a new thread with a refreshed OP to help some of the questions that have been steeping recently. If you have anything that would like to go into the new OP, feel free to chime in or let me know, otherwise you can see the beginnings of this here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/14fnD13zEymOnoeAjs--v9BXhh7DJxaxIrWBBCreCqi8/edit

The most common thing I see is "recommend me a tea that (x)" - which is a valid question, but also, might be useful to come up with a template that will help with product recommendations as well.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I would argue that green tea is less oxidised than white tea. white is whithered, and isn’t withering just a natural oxidation? the central point of processing green tea is the kill-green to stop the leaves from oxidising

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

maybe i’m wrong though

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

ulvir posted:

I would argue that green tea is less oxidised than white tea. white is whithered, and isn’t withering just a natural oxidation? the central point of processing green tea is the kill-green to stop the leaves from oxidising

White tea has 0% finishing process done to it to shape the leaf, whereas green tea has a more stringent production method where some oxidation can happen (Taipinghuokui, for example, is green tea but is charcoal dried, and longjing/dragonwell is flattened gently, and bi luo chun is shaped into tiny snail shapes).

White tea tends to be extremely fluffy as a result, whereas green tea can be more compactly stored.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ulvir posted:

maybe i’m wrong though

No, I think you're completely right. I think it makes more sense to think of white tea as having the most "hands off" processing, but it definitely is "processed" by time and the elements. Green tea probably gets you closer to the flavor of the fresh leaves; so it depends on your definition which is more... Natural.

Like, is pasteurized milk or soured milk a more "true" representation of milk? The former is perhaps more "processed" by one definition, but the latter does not resemble what came out of the cow as much, and has definitely gone through a "process".

thotsky fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 17, 2021

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Green tea is pan fried or steamed, paradoxically arresting the oxidation process.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ulvir posted:

the absolute worst thing that could've happened, happened, my yixing pot broke

I bought it off of YS several years ago, but they no longer has it in store (not even as "sold out") and had just about this type of clay and shape and was around 170ml in size/volume (pictured is not mine)

does anyone know where I can get another like it without breaking the bank? I think I paid just over $80 for it back in the day.

god loving damnit now the lid on my ruyao pot cracked too. at least the shop has a stock of similar pots still :sigh:

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

Drinking some Nameless One on a nice night.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

New in here, asking hopefully not a stupid question: I got an electric kettle for xmas and quite like it. What's the best bagged herbal tea if I want to move beyond Celestial Seasonings, but not into loose leaf - just get the pyramids from Adagio teas?

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

New in here, asking hopefully not a stupid question: I got an electric kettle for xmas and quite like it. What's the best bagged herbal tea if I want to move beyond Celestial Seasonings, but not into loose leaf - just get the pyramids from Adagio teas?

chamomile, lemongrass, and rooibos are always a good call. i haven't ordered from adagio in a long while, but i remember liking their honeybush vanilla. also, i don't know about finding it in a pyramid (or filling an empty one yourself), but buckwheat is a favorite of mine, especially in the winter

Karenina fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 29, 2021

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I never get the Adagio teabags because of this:

quote:

Teabag Material
Our pyramid-shaped bags are made of PET, the safe material used to make water bottles. While not compostable, they are easy to use and provide ample room for tea leaves to expand and infuse fully, placing more flavor in your cup.

Which suggests to me that they're the kind likely to shed microplastics. How much you care about that sort of thing is up to you, though! In terms of tea quality the Adagio teabags are likely to be pretty nice, since it's the same tea as their looseleaf.

If you're into herbals like chamomile rather than tea leaves, though, I would think an upscale store brand would be just fine. Tea needs to breathe and unfold, and cheap teabags are prone to being dusty and tannin-y, but those aren't really issues with most herbals afaik. When I want nicer teabags I usually just get Republic of Tea (they have them at the store and I like the tins, I'm very shallow) and use it with a pair of cute tea tongs so I can feel fancy and fun.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

StrixNebulosa posted:

To get around the microplastic problem mentioned above, I buy compostible empty paper teabags and fill them with loose leaf, particularly for herbal teas likely to gum up a tea strainer like chamomile or rooibos

David’s tea bags run on the expensive side, but they’re great quality https://www.davidstea.com/us_en/teaware/teaware/infusers-and-filters/ornaments-david-s-tea-filters-pack-of-100/904298US01.html

Finum also makes great fillable teabags in multiple sizes. It really opens ups the selection when not buying tea pre-bagged

Edit: I should also mention David’s pre-bagged teas aren’t compostible, but are instead made of the “biodegradable” type of plastic that sheds even more microplastics by design, so they’re poo poo

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 29, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Stuporstar posted:

To get around the microplastic problem mentioned above, I buy compostible empty paper teabags and fill them with loose leaf, particularly for herbal teas likely to gum up a tea strainer like chamomile or rooibos

David’s tea bags run on the expensive side, but they’re great quality https://www.davidstea.com/us_en/teaware/teaware/infusers-and-filters/ornaments-david-s-tea-filters-pack-of-100/904298US01.html

Finum also makes great fillable teabags in multiple sizes. It really opens ups the selection when not buying tea pre-bagged

This sounds like the absolute perfect stepping stone between loose leaf and bagged tea, thank you!

Taking notes on the flavors everyone is mentioning - I'm going to have to be careful and not get too much tea so I can drink it all.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

StrixNebulosa posted:

too much tea

:thunk:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Bigelow's Mint Medley is boxed at the store but a nice blend of mint-plus just the same. I love the little flavor hit from the rosehips!

And while loose leaf chamomile can be better than Celestial Seasonings, I honestly buy that one from the grocery store a lot because it is good enough and incredibly convenient. Loose chamomile flower will gunk up a filter quick! Definitely use a paper one for it if you grab some somewhere.

Upton Tea has a rooibos chai that I drink almost nightly and a mixed berry herbal that is fantastic iced. Both are loose leaf but do quite well in the paper filters linked above!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
What's a non-caffeinated hot drink I'm missing if I regularly consume and enjoy the following: rooibos (both green and red), honeybush, lavender, chamomile, ironwort, lindenflower, raspberry leaf, tulsi, lemon verbena, hibiscus, mint, licorice root? At least. Basically I love tea but have massive issues with caffeine, so my search for something new is about to take me to order mysterious herbal products from suspicious foreign websites

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Warm milk.
Blackcurrant toddy.
Hot chocolate.
Mulled wine.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Probably should add non-alcoholic too but yeah nothing wrong with those

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hojicha

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

ulvir posted:

hojicha

Oh that's interesting thanks, should get some

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Ras Het posted:

What's a non-caffeinated hot drink I'm missing if I regularly consume and enjoy the following: rooibos (both green and red), honeybush, lavender, chamomile, ironwort, lindenflower, raspberry leaf, tulsi, lemon verbena, hibiscus, mint, licorice root? At least. Basically I love tea but have massive issues with caffeine, so my search for something new is about to take me to order mysterious herbal products from suspicious foreign websites

I’m a big fan of lemongrass and ginger (seperately or together). Lemongrass is also really nice mixed with mint

David’s also used to have a sage lemon tea I absolutely loved, but they stopped making it

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I quite like the Adagio "cha cha" blend, which is chamomile, peppermint, and lemongrass. I'm lazy so I use those cheap triangular paper coffee filters inside of the metal filter that came with my teapot.

I've heard that roasted dandelion root is a good alternative to coffee, but I've never tried it because I can't bring myself to pay for dandelions. One of these years I will get around to actually harvesting my dandelions and pineapple weed so I can be the weirdo drinking boiled lawn clippings.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
First time I've heard of these pots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EePjNxfkOg

quote:

A zisha teapot typically holds one cup of water and can cost between $150 and $90,000.

There are "it is believed" qualifiers about what makes these so special. Get that Taster's Choice guy in here, let's blow this thing wide open!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Everett False posted:

I've heard that roasted dandelion root is a good alternative to coffee, but I've never tried it because I can't bring myself to pay for dandelions. One of these years I will get around to actually harvesting my dandelions and pineapple weed so I can be the weirdo drinking boiled lawn clippings.

Chicory root is really tasty with oat milk or w/e, maybe not black

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ras Het posted:

I've been enjoying fennel tea recently (specifically from "Les 2 Marmottes" but I'm sure most are similar). Distinctive taste that works surprisingly well as a tea! I don't normally like herbal or flavoured teas other than mint or earl grey so was happy to find another.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It might be like mint tea actually where you can just stick some seeds in hot water and make something better than any store bought ones, I'll try and report back to the thread!

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Houjicha fucks and I just ordered a bunch 'cause I'm starting to run low. By which I mean I'm finishing one bag, i have some genmai houjicha left in a tin, and i have some echigo boucha I haven't even opened yet.
I'm cold brewing some of it though to get through my supply faster.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

ulvir posted:

the absolute worst thing that could've happened, happened, my yixing pot broke

I bought it off of YS several years ago, but they no longer has it in store (not even as "sold out") and had just about this type of clay and shape and was around 170ml in size/volume (pictured is not mine)

does anyone know where I can get another like it without breaking the bank? I think I paid just over $80 for it back in the day.

way too late likely, but tokoname-yaki pots are a high-fire, medium-porosity unglazed red clay. it's pretty much a dead ringer for hongni in my experience and often quite a bit cheaper because it's not as famous (plus less of a chance of getting scammed), but since it's japanese it can be tricky to find one in that iconic shui ping shape. i don't know how much of a dealbreaker that is for you.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I still haven’t replaced it yet, so I’m on the lookout for options. I do like the look of japanese pots as well so I’ll keep it on the radar, thanks for the tip :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Just fyi, hojicha is definitely caffeinated, it just has less caffeine than sencha and other green tea (which has less than red tea which has... etc)

The general numbers I've read average around half the caffeine compared to sencha.