Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

step aside posted:

But I'm a Cheerleader

I liked But I'm a Cheerleader. It's a cute little movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. It also introduced me to this song. Surprised to hear that it's so critically reviled, given that it doesn't particularly stand out from other movies in the lesbian romantic comedy genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Jenkin posted:

No, no, that one is pretty much a sack of poo poo.

I don't think that it's a stretch to say that But I'm A Cheerleader tends to be very well-liked in the lesbian community. As much of a bad reputation as lesbian movies have, there tends to be a divide between ones that aren't great films but are decently received (like Cheerleader or Better Than Chocolate) and ones that are just terrible, like Cowgirls.

Sidebar but if you are interested in genuinely good movies with lesbian themes, Desert Hearts (drama) and Kissing Jessica Stein (comedy) are well-reviewed and very watchable.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The most disappointing thing about the Butterfly Effect is that it takes a very interesting concept with all sorts of potential ramifications and just moves some sliders around on the melodrama scale. "Okay, one guy's traumatized and the other guy is a psychopath, now in this reality the roles are reversed! All right, the girl is an angelic sweetheart in the first part, but now she's a total slut! Didn't see that coming, did ya?"

That's not exclusive to this movie, of course - I felt the same disappointment at the end of Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder, which has a similar theme. I don't know, maybe the idea of "change one thing, change everything" is a lot more compelling than a human being's capability to imagine what that would look like.

I think I saw TBE six years ago, and it's funny to hear people recall all the absolutely loony poo poo they packed into this movie. My favorite bit of groan-inducing awkwardness was the great Ashton Kutcher line, "so, should I suck your cock now?"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

By all accounts, Freddy Got Fingered is a terrible film and I don't think anybody would dispute that. However, it is worth watching once in the same way that somebody would watch the Human Centipede -- for the recognition that somehow, somewhere, some Hollywood producer threw millions of dollars at this thing. It's more useful as a commentary on the movie industry than as a functional film, and if you wanted, I suppose you could just read the plot synopsis and liner notes without missing too much. If there's one redeemable thing about FGF though, it's that Rip Torn seems to be having the time of his life and is pretty entertaining throughout.

As for whether or not FGF is a failed satire, by my standards I think it succeeded. In very simple terms, here's what all satires do:

1) Use the text as a device to parody and/or lampoon some aspect of society
2) Some people have to "get it," but many should not, at least not initially
3) The satire may or may not be intentional on behalf of the author, but should at least be consistent and supported by a careful reading of the text

There are of course many more detailed elements of satire but I wanted to be as concise as possible. I see FGF meeting all the above criteria -- regardless of whether or not Tom Green and his team intended to satirize the myopic, profit-motivated film industry, the over-the-top lunacy of Freddy Got Fingered and its presence at the saturation point of the gross-out comedy era make it difficult to read entirely within a vacuum. Most critics hated the movie, and rightly so; from a filmgoing standpoint, it was awful. But as a commentary on filmgoers it was noteworthy (I'd hesitate to say "brilliant"), especially so since the subtext went over many people's heads.

Okay, that's more about Freddy Got Fingered than I ever wanted to write in my life.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I couldn't shake the feeling that I had seen that Catwoman clip somewhere before, until I realized that there was a poorly edited, flirty playground fight in that other terrible superhero movie, Daredevil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nnOcgElmMc

My favorite part is at :54 when Ben Affleck teleports backwards and circles around the same area he just crossed in the last shot.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can add Sphere to the list of Michael Crichton novels given subpar film adaptations. Despite the book only being a tidy 300 pages, the movie flies through the initial exposition and mystery of not knowing what the Sphere is or how to get inside. Despite having a talented cast, the acting is flat and uninspired. I remember that Sphere was the first Crichton book I read when I was a kid that wasn't already a movie and was so excited to hear they were making it into a film, until I actually saw the thing. Even though I was 12 and you like everything you see at that age, I still was pretty disappointed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ponzicar posted:

I watched The Sixth Sense when it had just come out, without knowing anything about it, and I really liked it and didn't expect the twist. I must be a brave person for admitting that. Apparently, out of the many times that movie gets discussed online, every single person who talks about it says that he or she guessed the twist in advance. If you know there is a twist in the movie before seeing it, it's extremely easy to figure it out, and if you hate M. Night Shyamalan's later work, the movie is even less impressive. But for the virgin viewer back in 1999, The Sixth Sense was really good.

I feel the same way. Shyamalan may have totally fallen off the rails as of late but the Sixth Sense was a genuinely good movie. Ironically, so many early 2000s thrillers tried aping the "sudden shocking twist at the end" that it became almost expected after a time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

mr. unhsib posted:

I enjoyed The Sixth Sense but I think Signs is his best movie. The ending gets a lot of hate, but I never had a huge problem with it (and it makes thematic sense), and there are some incredibly well-shot "creepy" scenes. I'm looking forward to his next movie, which has a script by somebody other than him (Stephen Gaghan, a pretty good somebody actually...but then I appear to be the only person in the world who liked Syriana).

What's wrong with Syriana? As I recall it was very well-received around here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

outlier posted:

I thought Unbreakable was a good film, if not as accomplished. The twist there is how the film ends, but it's not a big part of the story. I enjoyed Signs even if, again, it wasn't quite as smooth and well-formed. Hell, I even thought The Village was okay, if a bit shapeless and minor, a plot that would have fit better in an hour-long Twilight Zone episode that a two hour movie. Haven't watched any Shamalayan films since.

I think the Village leaned too much on its own twist and by that point the viewer of a Shyamalan movie must have been expecting it; I know that I was. By no means am I one of those "heh, I always guess the twist :smugdog:" people, but I figured out what the ending would be within the first few minutes of the movie. The thing is that the Village really didn't need to shock the audience with its twist -- it could have come in the first half or third of the movie and continued the human story from there. I thought the really interesting thing about the Village was how hosed up the town Elders were in their use of fear toward their own children and families to instill some idyllic power structure. That could have been a very interesting theme to explore, but instead it's backed up into the very final scene because the rest of the film was spent on keeping people in the dark. The Village could really benefit from a remake some years from now.

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 11, 2012

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Haha, that's one of my favorite Ebert lines ever and I forgot it was the Village he was talking about. Pretty dead-on criticism of the secret, too.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

davidspackage posted:

That's one of the scenes that made me unsure if I was watching a horror movie or a horror comedy. A man gets his arms torn off by lions and he stays on his feet.

Mark Wahlberg seems to have thought it was a comedy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2r_qjEHf7c

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Man, how could anybody hate Hook? I mean it's obviously not Spielberg's finest work but the sets are amazing and Dustin Hoffman is so wonderfully entertaining. I think it's also significant as one of the last true "big set" pictures where everything was built from the ground up on a soundstage without the use of CGI or on-location shooting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Equilibrium is something I probably would have written when I was fifteen and could say "Grammaton Cleric" with a straight face.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

My favorite line from Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter comes after he beats up a whole bunch of atheists and they say, dejectedly, "I don't believe it!"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Given Costner's attempts at a New England accent in 13 Days I'm thankful he didn't really try for Robin Hood.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TheIndividual posted:

WHAS is pretty much the last great spoof film (although Hot Rod comes very close). Unfortunately it got a lot of heat from critics because critics usually judge comedies on some sort of Woody Allen, artistic spectrum, rather than just how many laughs they got out of it. I can see the reasoning behind it to an extent, but a lot of great comedies end up with these terrible Rotten Tomatoes scores as a result.

Part of the reason why I love Wet Hot American Summer is that the cast looks like they're having such a good time. A lot of the scenes and random vignettes (like Garafolo screaming through the cabin knocking everything over and all things Meloni) appear completely made up on the spot. It's definitely the kind of film I'd make if some producer gave me a million dollars and I hired all my friends to act in it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Roger Moore era has its ups and downs but he was really one of my favorite Bonds. I guess this is an unpopular opinion but I find the recent turn to superserious grimdark Bond to be kind of exhausting. I liked 007 more when everything was so exuberantly campy and Moore played that role with the perfect amount of charm. I can even sit through Moonraker.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

What gets me is that for some reason the middle two Brosnan films are always forgotten by me. I always just remember Goldeneye as one of the best and then Die Another Day as possibly the worst. I've totally forgotten that Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough even exist.

Goldeneye is probably one of the best Bonds period, the other three gradually diminish in quality from that point until you end up with the atrocity of DAD. The song for TWINE rules though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

I really do not get the interest Hollywood had in Denise Richards in the late '90s when it came to marketing her as a sex symbol. Even my horny junior high school self couldn't get it up to her at the time.

I realized I had completely forgotten what Denise Richards looked like and GISing her name led to this...strangely attractive picture? Rest assured, if you weren't attracted to her back then you almost certainly will be now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think B&R lacks the sheer dedication that the 60s series had. The series was a weird psychedelic happening where they decided to make a deliberately ludicrous and stupid show and play it completely straight. Schumacher and his cast didn't quite commit to that extent.

I feel the same way. I think good camp needs to be played completely straight or else it becomes a little too wink-wink and gets muddled in with parody. B&R has those fun ludicrous moments (every scene with Arnold) but it's mixed in with an overlong script that goes nowhere for long stretches.

While we're on the subject of camp/parody, Eight Legged Freaks has a 48% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and I remember loving it as a teenager. I think it's a necessity in any self-aware bad movie for a character to say the title of the movie, and this doesn't disappoint. Also, this was filmed in Arizona and my substitute economics teacher played one of the waitress extras who gets eaten by a spider near the end!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Congo I enjoy on a certain level, but Sphere is incredibly terrible. It's a movie about dreaming with no imagination.

Sphere was the first movie I ever hated after leaving the theater, back when I was 12 and liked every new movie I saw. You had an excellent cast, an excellent concept, and yet the presentation was so uninspired. Like they were so impressed with the pre-production and forgot to make an actual film.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Equilibrium is a movie where people call each other "Tetragrammaton Clerics" without immediately breaking out into laughter, which is just about all you need to know.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I thought it was a "so bad it's good" movie, while the others were...more competently made, I guess, but they just did nothing for me. X-Men 3 had me grinning like an idiot for most of its runtime because it was so awful but it seemed to be aware of that and embraced it.

I never watched X-Men 3 because by all accounts it looked pretty terrible, but I'm with you at least on the first two. X-2 in particular seemed overlong and mean-spirited to me, but then again I don't really like any comic book movies.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Alien 3's biggest problem was that it upended the immensely satisfying ending of Aliens while failing to up the ante established by the first two films. On its own it's perfectly serviceable as an alternate universe what-if kind of narrative, but as a continuation of Ripley's story it's deflating and nihilistic. I would have enjoyed it much more if Ripley was not involved with it at all, I thought the final shot from Aliens with her and Newt in the pod was the perfect note to close out her story. The Alien universe feels immense and it's a mistake to keep laboriously returning to the Ripley character in the sequels when there's so much more you can do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The RLM review also dismisses the whole "raping my childhood" fan wank nonsense at various points and explains in very clear language what makes any good adventure story (not just Star Wars) work.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The cover art for that page is amazing. KIDS -- the feel-good coming of age story for the 90s generation!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think I've seen the Dennis Miller TFTC movie more times than ever should be allowed thanks to Comedy Central airing it constantly in the 90s. That and Soul Man, which is offensive in many ways but the most important being that it is painfully unfunny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

A few years ago there was a thread on this forum about Ravenous and I really grew to appreciate it. Guy Pearce is an excellent actor, but the whole supporting ensemble is great, particularly Robert Carlyle who just nails the animalistic/civilized duality of his character. I never even considered it to be distinctly horror, to me it spans several genres and it's hard to pin it down on just one. This is probably intentional, but this movie also incidentally features some of the most appetizing meat stew I've ever seen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jacob's Ladder is one of the few films that truly scare me, it's like somebody reached into every nightmare I've ever had and crammed them all into one 90 minute hellride. It makes me think how merciful most horror films really are to their audiences.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

doctor 7 posted:

Wyatt Earp is a legit awesome film as well that got poo poo on pretty hard. I bought it without any regrets and rebought it on blu-ray. I'd encourage people to rewatch it. Everyone loves Tombstone but when compared with Wyatt Earp it feels somewhat childish. Dennis Quad's Doc Holiday rivals Val Kilmer as well.

The main problem with Wyatt Earp is that it's sincerely boring. It takes twice as long as Tombstone to hit all the same beats and there are just long stretches where nothing happens. Open Range is really good though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

BIZORT posted:

I watched the middle Matrix movie about 5 times in some sort of stubborn stupor refusing to believe it was bad and that I simply didn't get it

It felt like the last two Matrix films did not trust their audience enough to understand any subtext whatsoever and the rule of "show, don't tell" was violated approximately 100% of the time. In the first movie you had set pieces like the opening chase or the Smith/Neo confrontation that communicated, with little to no dialogue, everything the viewer needed to know about the world, the characters, and their motivations. As the series went on the action and philosophy gradually separated until you had these big bloated special effect sequences with even more bloated heady dialogue caked around them and a bunch of poo poo that nobody cared about.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cutthroat Island is by all accounts a terrible film but one year later Harlin/Davis teamed up again for The Long Kiss Goodnight which is one of the best action movies ever made, so I just don't know.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Prometheus is Mass Effect 3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

sean10mm posted:

I noticed that too, though weirdly enough the visuals in Blade Runner didn't win him over until like 30 years after his original review. :iiam:

In Ebert's initial review of Blade Runner it was the visuals that impressed him the most, but he found the performances and plot to be lackluster. That's not an unfair criticism of the original theatrical cut, which had Ford's voice over and the tacked-on happy ending. I imagine most people here grew up with the Director's Cut as the "definitive" Blade Runner though. Having seen all five versions on the 25th anniversary DVD, the overall tone varies a lot among them even though most of the actual editorial changes are very subtle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I haven't seen Temple of Doom since I was very little, and I remember liking it the least of the original trilogy because it showed Indy in a truly vulnerable position, when as a kid I just wanted to see him beat the bad guys. I still kind of feel the same way.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Monkeyseesaw posted:

I started to get the sense something was going wrong with Burton on Sleepy Hollow. I found myself in the theater thinking "I want to enjoy this a lot more than I am".

I liked Sleepy Hollow, mostly for Depp's delightfully foppish Crane. It was interesting to see a protagonist equal parts determined, educated and effeminate.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

CaptainHollywood posted:

I'm trying to get through Toys and the movie really IS that bad. But it has some genuinely nice set pieces and in some shots it almost feels like a Tim Burton movie (Pee Wee/Edward Scissorhands) but wow it's a chore to get through.

I don't even like the set pieces in Toys that much. Everything looks cheap, like they ordered three of every prop from the store but only got one and had to go ahead with it anyway.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Phoebe Cates looks crazily like Anne Hathaway on that cover.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Josie and the Pussycats was Charlie Kaufman's Adaptation before Adaptation, if that makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Snak posted:

I recently rewatched Tombstone(1993) because I had seen it as a child and I love all the actors in it. Does anyone have the inside scoop on why it's such a trainwreck? It feels like it was trying to be at least two different movies and couldn't decided whether it wanted to have historical details or not.

I read the trivia section on IMDB and it does indeed sound like a clusterfuck, but if anyone has an opinion or insight about it I would love to hear it.

Tombstone was a pretty well-liked if uneven and silly movie in its time, many critics loved Val Kilmer's turn as Doc Holliday. Are you sure you're not thinking of Wyatt Earp, the Kevin Costner one that came out half a year later and was much less well-received?

• Locked thread