Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.
I'd like to revisit the topic of bad movies with great scores...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

I would accept a live action Mario movie on the following conditions:

-It actually adheres mostly to the game
-It's done in the tongue-in-cheek style of Scott Pilgrim/Speed Racer
-Edgar Wright directs it

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Encryptic posted:

"Sometimes you just gotta say 'gently caress it, Boo. Let's go bowling'."

When Sully does the crazy roar that scares Boo at the end, I dub it over in my head with him yelling "FORGET ABOUT THE loving TOE!"

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

I used to watch The Wall obsessively as a teenager though at least that one is kind of decent if overwrought. Definitely not 'disowned by Alan Parker and Roger Waters' bad.

I didn't know The Wall was thought of as a bad movie.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

It's confirmed to be based on 3? I thought I read somewhere that they were looking at the second game.

They've already cast Heather as the main character, but they're also bringing back Radha Mitchell and Sean Bean. And apparently Harry Mason is going to be in it, too :psyduck:

Also, for any shortcomings Silent Hill has, I sometimes like to think of Shutter Island as an adaptation of both Silent Hill 2 and Shattered Memories. It works pretty drat well.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

E the Shaggy posted:

I don't remember that scene, though truth be told I haven't seen Silent Hill in awhile. Was that the custodian monster?

That one particular monster really disturbs me for some reason. On top of it's overall design, there the sign pointing into his mouth (where a clue is hidden) that says "Dare You Dare You Double Dare You." It gives me a sense of dread that I haven't felt since the original Saw (which I still maintain is a one of the best independent thrillers ever).

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

The script for Batman Forever isn't that much more flamboyant that Batman Returns. It was the direction that put it over the edge, which is a shame, because I can really imagine the story in Burton's style. Val Kilmer's Batman retained the psychological macabre of Keatons, though it was more melancholy where Keaton's was just intense as gently caress. Billy Dee Williams would have been great as Two-Face, and Jim Carrey's Riddler is a pretty hosed up character as it is. It also might have had Marlon Wayans as Robin, who was supposed to appear in Batman Returns.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

So I have a very special recommendation that combines the horror category with the kids movie category.

A little film called Gooby about a boy who's stuffed animal comes to life and thye lots of fun adventures. It's rated 20%.

Also, this is what Gooby looks like.

poo poo, didn't ArtieTSMITW do a Plinkett-esque analysis of the trailer for Gooby? Is that still available anywhere?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

The Butterfly Effect seems to have suffered the same fate as Deja Vu, where an extremely fleshed out sci-fi thriller script is styled into a vehicle for a popular or up and coming celebrity, and loses a lot its edge in the process.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

mr. unhsib posted:

The scene where they killed off Vin Diesel's character was cut from the movie but they put it in the DVD (used a body double for Vin):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O48rLcHu2Yc

It's...bad.

They blew up Paddy's Pub :ohdear:

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

wyoming posted:

But hey, how 'bout that universe building!

That's one aspect of the sequels I will defend. A lot of sequels drop the ball on expanding the mythos of the original. Men in Black 2 and Ghostbusters 2 come to mind (though I like Ghostbusters 2). The idea of rogue programs, the Architect, and the cycles of the Matrix and Zion are all really interesting hooks that get lost in philosophical wank and lengthy set pieces.

I will also defend Smith. They hit pretty much all the right marks in escalating his character and building on the "I hate this place" speech from the first movie. Not to mention Hugo Weaving loving delivers.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Honestly I disliked the way he played Smith in the second and third movies. He was just too cartoony and self-parodying. I'll grant that Smith is something of a cartoon character anyway, but I felt like the performance tripped over a fine line at the second film.

I actually did like the final Neo/Smith fight (and most of the last half hour of Revolutions), both for the action and Weaving's performance throughout the scene. It felt like a solid climax for his character because you start to grip the breadth of his nihilism and how much is on the line. I love how he freaks the gently caress out, especially at the very end. And, as Snidely Whiplash as it is, I love that laugh after he overwrites the Oracle.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Re: The Matrix Sequels

Spot on. I read the trilogy as an allegory for religious tolerance (it's basically the story of Christ told by Zen Buddhists), with Smith's Nihilism being the ultimate enemy on any road to enlightenment. It's too bad the sequels dropped the ball, because I could totally get behind an action movie with those themes, but the Wachowskis forgot that The Matrix was first and foremost a very solid action movie.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Azubah posted:

Wasn't it something like he was always connected to the Matrix, that's why he could short out the squid things?

Pretty much. Touching the Source gave him a permanent technopathic connection to it.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

There were a few moments in The Happening where I thought to myself, "This should be the scariest poo poo I've ever seen," but instead I was laughing. The part where the woman hears her daughter succumbing to the toxin over the phone comes to mind.

Rake Arms fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 11, 2012

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

This just screams 'mediocre actor badly directed'. No one told him how to act in that scene, so he just sorta winged it.

I think there was no getting around the lovely script. The dialog doesn't even make sense on paper. Also, I love the awful editing. Why is she already walking away when it cuts back to her?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Did anyone notice that Brian O'Halloran (of Clerks fame) plays the driver in the jeep scene from The Happening?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Old black water, keep on rolling, Mississippi moon, won't you keep on shining on ME?! See? We're normal!

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

What would have happened if he was given Mario Brothers instead?

This, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

mookface posted:

They nailed it with with South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut in my opinion. That's a great little movie.

I wish they'd do another South Park movie now. Their style and tone has changed quite a bit. For the most part, I've really liked that past few seasons, and I wouldn't mind if they did an "update" film.

• Locked thread