Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Dreamcatcher is baffling in just the fact that so many competent people made such a bad movie. It has a script written by William Goldman and directed by Lawrence Kasdin, both people veterans of Hollywood. And yet they put together such a terrible film. It's like the entire crew did a 60 day coke binge and ended up making this film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would like to suggest two movies. Firstly Karate Kid pt. 3 and RoboCop 2.

In regards to RoboCop 2 its been years since I saw it and the only thing I really remember about it was that the bad robot had the brain of psychopath because someone thought that would be a good idea.

In regards to Karate Kid pt.3 I saw it on TV a few months ago and I could not help but cringe in pain at how bad it is, especially compared to the first one. The main character becomes a (even more) whiny jerk who disregards any development gained from the past movies. Seriously I found myself actively rooting against him, which is not something that should be done in a Karate Kid film. The main villain is almost a parody of all rich assholes. I expected him to burn down an orphanage just because he is evil.
Overall, watching this movie compared to watching the first one is like an experiment in the meaning of the word oppisites".

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The first Mortal Kombat still holds a special place in my heart the same way the original Clash of the Titans does. It isn't a very cool movie but the first time you see it as a kid makes you think it is the most awesome thing ever.
I saw it again a few months ago on TV and even though the special effects are dated as gently caress, even though there are so many plotholes you expect the characters to trip down one and never be seen again, even though Sub Zero was killed in the most idiotic way possible, it was hard for me not to love the whole thing for nostalgic value.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Has anyone seen SFW which garnered a whopping 12% on RT (out of 17 reviews).
The reason I bring up this one is that I remember seeing it when I was an angsty teenage kid. This movie was awesome. I used to stay up late at night at my buddies place watching this movie and I would think its the poo poo.
A few years back I saw it for sale at HMV and figured I should pick it up. I hadn't seen it in 10 plus years but I had fond memories of it. I did pick it up and man has it aged. It is a movie that truly is a product of its time. And even though I don't mind movies that are a product of their times (I will defend Empire Records til my dying breath)SFW just seemed so...ameture. It was like a some angry 20 something wanted to write a movie about all the hypocrisy in the world (in the 90's) and it just culminated in a badly acted movie with a plot that really really wasn't well thought out.
Now rewatching the movie I am wondering "was it really that good?". Was it really that bad as well (by the RT ratings). It is hard for me not to watch this movie and think about late nights spent with my buddy watching this movie.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

OldTennisCourt posted:

The biggest thing I remember from Silent Hill is how insane the climax was. That and how worthless Sean Bean was.

I also, sort of like the poster for One Missed call. It's a pretty cool concept, but the nostrils really do throw the whole thing off.

I never really understood the point of Sean Bean in the movie. I remember hearing somewhere that he was put in just so they could have a male character. He was really pointless.
Silent Hill had some good moments and cool visual scenes but I just found it to be a very uneven movie.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Don't forget that the Faculty was part of the same trend that gave us Disturbing Behaviour, a teen horror movie that for me was so bad it became funny, and lead to some great times when watching it with my friends. The best part was still the opening scene.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Been stated before. Sean Bean's character was only added because the filmmakers realized that they were making a film without a single male in it.
I liked the visuals of the film but everything else about it was stupidly idiotic, and not thought out very well.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Know what's bad? Catwoman starring Oscar winner Halle Berry. It started off brilliantly by having the film disregard Catwoman, instead having Halle dress up as a prostitute and call herself Catwoman because something about mystical Egyptian cat doing....know what? It's bad. I don't really need to explain why. I watched it the other day on TV. Well not really watched it. It was on in the background. I found it very hard to actually pay attention to the screen, even if it did have Sharon Stone hamming it up as an evil cosmetics developer. Oh no!
So yes, this movie had absolutely nothing to do with the character Catwoman. It was pretty clear the only reason this movie was even titled Catwoman was for name recognition.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

exquisite tea posted:

I couldn't shake the feeling that I had seen that Catwoman clip somewhere before, until I realized that there was a poorly edited, flirty playground fight in that other terrible superhero movie, Daredevil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nnOcgElmMc

My favorite part is at :54 when Ben Affleck teleports backwards and circles around the same area he just crossed in the last shot.

Speaking of Daredevil, how did the Elektra spinoff movie do? I heard it was ravaged by the critics and was pretty bad but had never seen it myself. What are its major problems?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vagabundo posted:

Evanescense is a large part of Daredevil's problems. Sure, there are a hell of a lot of other things wrong with that movie, but if you removed that stupid song from the soundtrack, it wouldn't be as bad.

I want to say this is true but it might not be the case. For instance, remove that lovely Nickelback song from the first Spiderman movie and it doesn't improve it at all.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

savinhill posted:

I recently watched Battlefield Earth and it's so bad on every conceivable level. The only enjoyment I got out of it were the scenes where John Travolta and Forest Whitaker were making plans or were loving with the humans(or "MAN-ANIMALS" as Travolta likes to call them in this movie) because it was like they were channeling Kane and Kodos from the Simpsons.

Oh gently caress the dialog in that movie was just awkward. Every time the aliens talked about leverage I cringed.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Grendels Dad posted:

I have never seen The Island of Dr. Moreau, but have read that Val Kilmer basically killed his career with that movie because he was so apathetic on set and bored on camera, mostly due to being drugged out of his mind. And that one bombed as hard as it deserved. I still have to meet a person that has actually seen the movie.

Just want to talk about the Island of Dr. Moreau for a second. The best way to go into the movie is to have a bit of the history behind it. Firstly the director was fired partway through it because he was clashing heads with Kilmer. The director, Richard Stanley, snuck back on the set numerous times to see what kind of abuses were being committed to his film. By sneaking on set I mean that he had make up dress him up like a half animal extra. By the way, Stanley directed a neat underrated horror film called Dust Devil.
Anyway, the film was made and Marlon Brando and Kilmer entered into some kind of contest to see who could out ham the other. The results were....amazing.

Just read the wiki to fully appreciate the hosed upedness of this film.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr_Zombie posted:

This thread made me take a look at a bunch of films I never bothered with because I had them checked in my mind as being failures. I enjoyed a couple of them and found the rest to be fairly mediocre but none of them left a bad taste in my mouth.

Thanks, thread!

I was quite happy with the results and so I finally got around to watching An American Werewolf in Paris.

gently caress YOU, thread.

An American Werewolf in London is such a brilliant film. I love the mix of comedy and horror, the balance is just right in my eyes. I was aware that this might tint how I viewed An American Werewolf in Paris, so I tried to approach it with an open mind. Maybe I failed, but I'm really struggling to think of any redeeming features. Tom Everett Scott was okay, once or twice, sort of, I guess? A total waste of time.

I love werewolves. I love American Werewolf in London. When I heard about Paris I thought it would go into a franchise that would explore werewolf mythology throughout Europe in a modern day setting. It didn't. Paris sucked.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I personally think London is a bit over-rated, but it's a good film. Part of the film's appeal in the '80's was its shock value, and now it seems relatively tame compared to the stuff that came afterward.

The transformation effects were pretty revolutionary and still look great today.

One werewolf movie that I keep going back and forward on with the "was it really that bad" is Silver Bullet.

The movie is clearly meant to be a parody, but it tries have it both ways. Part comedy (the bog scene which is pretty much a spoof of early horror films) and the brutal killings, especially of children. It feels like the movie can't decide if it wants to be a good werewolf movie or a good spoof movie. The tone changes so much that it feels like 2 movies spliced into one.
Plus: motorcycle wheelchair!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Blair Witch was funny in the way that they took everything that made the first one original and decided to ignore it. Part of the charm of the first one is the found footage stuff. It made things seem real. For the second one the filmmakers decided to disregard it all and make a very generic film.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My weird King movie (that didn't traumatize me) was Silver Bullet. I love werewolf films. Silver Bullet seemed to be caught in a permenant pergutory between full blown satire and serious werewolf movie. On the one hand you have a werewolf killing children which is pretty horrofic and on the other hand you have scene where hunters are hunting the werewolf in a swamp and the whole thing plays out like a Bugs Bunny Cartoon.
Another great/strange thing is that the main kid, who is a paraplegic, has a wheelchair pimped out to be like a loving Harley Davidson motorbike made by his uncle Gary Busey.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
AV Club did a bit of a nice write-up about Passion Play.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CzarChasm posted:

Right. OK. But if you had real wings growing out of your back, wouldn't you jump on that first? Isn't that enough? Are we so jaded as a society that a woman with bird wings in a freak show isn't enough, we have to slap a beard on her as well?

"Ooh, she has wings. Big deal. I passed three women with wings on my way in here."

It's almost like in that reality, people with wings replaced really fat people in our reality. You no longer have to go to a circus side show to see a 400 pound woman. Just go to Wal-Mart.

Wait a minute... Screaming children, over priced high calorie food, people that smell like animal poo poo... Hmmm...

Maybe she read A very Old Man with Enormous Wings.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would like to talk a bit about Event Horizon, a movie that has 23% on Rotten Tomatos.

Now people who have seen this movie generally form an opinion about it that may be extreme to others. Some hate it, some love it. It has become a bit of a cult classic and is seen as a fluke by a mediocre director.

I have seen the movie a few times but not within the last 5 or so years. This changed recently as I saw that it was available on Netflix and decided to watch it again with fresh eyes.
Firstly this movie wears its influences proudly on it sleeves (some would say to the point of blatant plagarism). By this I mean Alien. The exterior shots of the spaceship recalls the exterior shots of the spaceships in Alien. The interior shots could almost be a shot for shot recreation of the ones in Alien. And then there is the crew of the spaceship. Fishburne is a Ripley lite, and Sam Neill is kind of like bishop, dooming the crew to a terrible fate.
The movie itself is rater interesting IMO. A ship called the Event Horizon tries to do some crazy experimental stuff by bending time and space. It goes missing. Seven years later a rescue beacon is sent from the EH and Fishburne's crew is sent to see if there are any survivors on the ship. Tagging along is Sam Neill, the inventor of the technology used on the EH. Of course once Fishburne's crew docks onto the EH things go wrong. They find out that the original crew of the EH killed themselves (through some disturbing video recordings). The crew start experiences horrific visions, sometimes tied into their own past. One of the crew members gets sucked through the blackhole technology only to return in a catatonic state. He later wakes from this state and tries to kill himself by getting sucked out of a airhole into space.
the visions keep occuring and various team members either kill themselves or others. Neill decides to dig his own eyes out and take the EH back to where it came from. Fishburne figures this is a bad idea.
One of the more interesting ideas expressed by the film is this (warning- spoilers but really this is an old-ish movie and most people here have seen anyway but I will still spoiler it in case):

It is heavily implied that the EH went to hell. It is never outrightly stated and instead it is mentioned that it went to another dimension but we are lead to believe that this dimension is hell. What I liked about this is the idea of hell being another dimension that can be accessed by bending time/space. I also like how understated it is and that it really doesn't hit you over the head and rather leaves the stuff like the visions and causes for everything rather vague.

Does the movie deserve the 23%? This is hard to answer. It is definitely a flawed work. The CGI looks rather dated now (which is kind of why I wish there would be a remake just to touch up the CGI and make it look better). Fishburne and Neill both put in a solid performance (especially Neill when he gets creepy). In fact that is one thing I really liked about the movie. At the beginning of the movie Neill is a scientist who keeps trying to come up with rational explanaitions for things that are going on but as the movie goes on he fully embraces the insanity.
The movie has a lot of good ideas running through it and it seems like some of those good ideas are kind of wasted or seems rushed. The movie could have easily been a good 10 minutes longer and it wouldn't have ruined anything. In fact this is where the movie somewhat falls apart. It wants to be a horror movie but unlike Alien it doesn't spend a lot of time building up the horror aspect. Once things start going wrong, everything just seems to feel rushed. There could have been more of a slower buildup, escalating the intensity of it all.
Other small nitpicks is that the two ships look too similar and I had a hard time telling which ship people were in at any given time.
In the end I don't really think the movie deserves such a low rating. It definitely could have been better, and perhaps in a better directors hand it would have, but that is not to take away from the things the movie got right. If anything the movie has been an influence on others, Sunshine being the most obvious.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

ponzicar posted:

I watched The Sixth Sense when it had just come out, without knowing anything about it, and I really liked it and didn't expect the twist. I must be a brave person for admitting that. Apparently, out of the many times that movie gets discussed online, every single person who talks about it says that he or she guessed the twist in advance. If you know there is a twist in the movie before seeing it, it's extremely easy to figure it out, and if you hate M. Night Shyamalan's later work, the movie is even less impressive. But for the virgin viewer back in 1999, The Sixth Sense was really good.

I had the misfortune of going to see the film after being told that it has a big twist ending. This kind of ruined the film for me as I couldn't help but try figure out the twist ending was throughout the film (I did figure it out).
However, watching it a second time and knowing the ending I still found the film to be really good. The thing I think that made Sixth Sense better than his other stuff is because it is rather low key. It is a low budget film made by someone who hasn't developed a huge ego yet.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Zooey Deschanel was abysmal in that movie but what can you expect with lines like, "We can't just stand here as uninvolved observers!"

I haven't seen the movie so please tell me she broke the fourth wall and looked directly into the camera when she said this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vagabundo posted:

Here's a compilation of some bits from The Happening.

http://youtu.be/st6BtK_ckIA

I'd forgotten how out of breath Mark Wahlberg sounded throughout that movie. Also, Zooey Deschanel turns to the camera to make a STATEMENT! earlier on.

Man, there is some serious The Room style of dialog/delivery going on in there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Forgotten reminds me of the remake of the Stepford Wives. Now I haven't seen the remake but I read about it and from what I read the movie didn't make sense and didn't flow. There was something about the wives being robots and not being robots buy hypnotized whatevers. Turns out that there were two different scripts and they just smashed them together even though they didn't align.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

OldTennisCourt posted:

I just found Clash to be boring as sin to be honest. Nothing really stood out. The effects were okay, the Kraken was barely a factor, the lead villain and hero were loving snooze fests and the whole thing just ended up being incredibly forgettable.

I found the movie to be bloody repititive. How many times did Worthington have to whine about hating the gods and gods giving him "one more chance". It was annoying.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

rejutka posted:

All I remember about Clash is the clockwork owl reference, giant scorpions because evil blood and an overly elaborate kraken.

Oh wait and a poo poo CGI Medusa.

So, a film as beige as that desert they trod through, I suppose.

I remember that sand person who suicide-bombed himself for the good guys.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Dissapointed Owl posted:

It's got Keanu Reeves actually acting, so that's a plus.

I thought Dracula did that.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Pablo Gigante posted:

Keanu Reeves is apparently a super-nice dude IRL or so I've heard from a couple friends who have met him

Keanu seems like a really chilled guy and I find it very hard to hate him. Plus he will always be Ted Theodore Logan to me, and could not see anyone else playing that role.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

AlternateAccount posted:

I think the closest he's come to developing a "character" is maybe OFFICER DOBBS in The Chase.

I thought he was pretty good in Scanner Darkly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Alhazred posted:

Gary Busey's character literally says that they appear whenever there's a conflict.

This kind of makes me wishy that there was some kind of Predator series where predators have appeared throughout history during every major war.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My idea for an AvP movie would have zero humans, no English, and just be an 80 minute fight/survival movie. Something to do with Xenomorphs getting to the predators home planet and loving poo poo up.

What are people's thoughts about Predators? I remember watching that movie and then forgetting most of it when it was done.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Agree with this. As a kid Hook was a lot of fun, but watching it again it really hasn't aged well. I still enjoy watching it now and then but that is more to do with nostalgia than actual appreciation.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

DrVenkman posted:

I thought I was one of the few people to have seen that film, but it's a drat fine one. It's a shame it was apparently lost to DTV hell because most people won't give it a chance. It's got a great cast too. The director made Mimic 3 as well which is actually alright, yet oddly enough he also wrote the Splinter Cell games.

I saw Burrowers in Netflix streaming. It was a pretty good movie all being said. I like the idea of horror movies taking place in a historical setting.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
My problem with the Matrix sequals was that the directors decided to spend more time on world building (which is fine unless it is overly drawn out) and less time on being fun. Added to this scenes that just went on and on and on (giant rave scene)without any purpose just dragging the pacing of the film to a crawl. I think I must have looked at my watch 4 or 5 times during the movies which is never a good sign.

The first Matrix was a lot of fun. It was a superhero movie for a new generation. The sequals less so.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

CousinFredo posted:

The story is nothing original, the acting ranges from competent to poor. The CGI as a whole is well done if bland. The "dialouge" between the characters is very cliche and the story itself is completely predictable down to the last 10 minutes or. There is a "twist" I suppose at the end that falls really flat and feels pretty pretentious.

I haven't seen the movie but I find this quite sad. The book was written way back when and was very influential in the way that a lot of sci-fi films have pretty much ripped it off. When it was written it was very original but because so many other movies owe so much to it Carter just seems like a cliche now, which is sad but true.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Slate Action posted:

I wish I could do Crystal Skull for this thread (short version: I like it), but unfortunately it's sitting at 77% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I think you can still do seeing how badly reviewed it was by fans and movie goers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I was watching an Ausie horror film on Netflix called Uninhabitated. The movie doesn't have any critic ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and its wiki is pretty loving pathetic but the users on IMDb have given the movie something like 4/10 and generally hated it for good reason. The acting is terrible (though the girl is very beautiful to look at and I guess the guy fulfills the requisite hot guy looks too), the dialog is terrible and sometimes nonsensical, the story is really really bad, and the ending is...well just outright stupid. The characters themselves are so stupid, even more so than the standard horror movie standard for idiotic characters. However, there is a good movie buried (about a 100 feet under) this really bad movie.
The movie is about a young couple who take a vacation on an uninhabited island which seems like paradise except for a stalking perverted ghost screwing poo poo up and acting like a general ghosty arsehole. The film is shot quite well and beautifully, there are some good ideas in the film that seem to exist in spite of the film and it could probably be a good movie with a good (100) rewrites and better actors. The actors motivations make no sense in the film which is a shame because every time they are about to do something approaching intelligent and have a smart conversation they remember that they are lucky enough just to remember how to breathe so they do the dumbest thing they can think about (which in this case is stay on the island).

Anyway, this movie is a movie about wasted potential. It deserves its bad reviews but if there ever was a remake of it I might check it out.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I thought Williams was pretty bad in the SVU episode but that might be because I thought that whole SVU episode was pretty bad.
For good Williams serious TV goodness watch Homicide Life on the Street. He was pretty solid in the one episode he cameoed in.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If people really want to to discuss Robin William's films and discuss if they were bad or not a good place to start would be Jack, a movie inexplicably directed for Francis Copalla.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 25, 2012

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I saw Jeepers Creepers before knowing about Salva's past and I really liked the movie. Still watching it now I enjoy it because my first contact with it was without knowing the history (kind of like seeing and liking a painting whilst not knowing anything about the painter only to find out later that the painter is a horrible child raping jerk). That being said Jeepers Creepers 2 sucked and it wasn't just because I found out what a creep Salva was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

Spawn the comic has an even weirder racial subtext, in that Al Simmons is a black man who goes to hell but was sent back to Earth as a white guy.

The soundtrack in Spawn is one of a collection of three soundtracks where rap, hard rock and electronica artists were paired off to work together. Spawn got hard rock/electronica, Blade II got electronica/rap and Judgement Night got hard rock/rap.

And all three of those soundtracks are masterpieces.

As for the whole coming back a white man thing, I thought of it more as some cruel ironic twist (in the comic, haven't seen the film in years). There was a Spawn comic where he uses his magical hell powers to cure his face from looking like a burn victim's and in the end it made him temporarily white. He was quite shocked by this, and I thought it was done clearly as a cruel joke.

• Locked thread