Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

OldTennisCourt posted:

I think the second film is a lot worse honestly. The first film is stupid, but it's at least it's fun in it's stupidity. The second movie is just so relentlessly, boringly dark all the time that it's a chore to sit through.

You know how sometimes when your parents tell you to do something, and you get pissed at them, so you deliberately do the chore in the most douchebag way possible? You stomp around as you put stuff away, or slam drawers? It felt like the directors saw how the first movie was attacked for it's lack of gore and decided to make up for it in the most annoying way possible.

I have to disagree with you here. I LOVED the second movie because it knew exactly what it wanted to be and gave absolutely no shits that it wasn't "good." It's a movie that is totally aware of how lovely it is and goes balls-out with what crazy poo poo they can throw at the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Alec Baldwin's Prosthetic Nose Knows!

The Shadow is a 1994 adaptation of the classic radio serial and series of pulp novels that revolves around Lamont Cranston (Baldwin), a debonair socialite who fights crime on the side. HMMMMMMMM. :nolan:

The Shadow has mastered mental powers that allow him to read minds, move some objects, change his appearance or even become invisible. He is at the heart of an international network that are in his service and apparently number Peter Boyle and a doctor.

In 1930's New York, the last descendant of Ghengis Kahn named Shiwan Kahn arrives in the tomb of his ancestor with the intention of conquering the world. He finds Cranston to ask him to join him using their combined psychic powers. Cranston also falls in love with the daughter of leading physicist Dr. Lane and must stop Kahn's atomic bomb-related plot.

The movie holds up significantly better than I remembered or expected. It currently has a 5.7 on IMDB, and RT and MC seem not to have any listings for it. The pulp 30's feel meshes extremely well with the stupid 90's aesthetics. The costumes, set design and much of the casting is fantastic, the score is better than it has any right to be and a few of the shot compositions are wonderful. The biggest thing keeping this movie from being a self-aware masterpiece is the effects-work. Although somewhat impressive for 1994, they don't hold up the way 1993's Jurassic Park do. Many of the knife scenes simply look embarrassing. Did I mention there's a sentient flying knife?

'Cause there is.

• Locked thread