Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Rake Arms posted:

When Sully does the crazy roar that scares Boo at the end, I dub it over in my head with him yelling "FORGET ABOUT THE loving TOE!"

Alternatively you could watch Barton Fink first, then Monsters Inc. So instead of the toe line you have "BECAUSE YOU. DON'T. LISTEN."

This is actually terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

Silent Hill is based on the popular survival horror video game series. It arrived in theaters in 2006. It currently holds a 29% rating at Rotten Tomatoes. I love the series of games, and I remember actually enjoying this film quite a bit, though I barely remember most of it.

If you remember enjoying it I would recommend never watching it again. I came out of the cinema convinced I loved it, probably because I'd gone in wanting to since I like the first two games so much, but when I watched it again on DVD I was appalled at how awful it actually was. Bad acting, terrible dialogue, stupid plot, lazy music (if you'd played the games, at least).

I don't even like the visual style, which a lot of people seem to. I think it feels way too big and bright and sparse, there's no feeling of claustrophobia or tension at any point. The costume design is bizarre too - some of it is really good (the armless creature, the redesigned Pyramid Head), whereas the rest of it makes it look like a really expensive cosplay.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

As much as I've grown to dislike Silent Hill I will give it to them that the Janitor was a really cool monster design.

The noises he makes are really good too, he sounds like he's really suffering. He was about the only effectively "creepy" thing they came up with.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Three Red Lights posted:

The movie wasnt great but the armless vomit things honestly did have a starring role in my nightmares that night.

This was one of the problems I had with it though - I recognised a lot of the monsters. I liked the Janitor because they used the idea behind Silent Hill to create something original, whereas all the other monsters were just lifted wholesale from the games. This makes especially little since with Pyramid Head.

Same with the music, they got Akira Yamaoka to score it and he just loving reused everything from the games instead of writing anything new.

The barbed wire massacre was kind of cool just for spectacle too I guess, although it was really stupid.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

I liked the Dark World introduction scene. I'm pretty sure they used the movie's version of the intro for Homecoming, which was one of the few good things about that game.

I didn't like the real world/otherworld transitions that the film introduced either but I think that's just me being nitpicky because I really liked the way the transitions were handles in the second game - with stuff gradually and subtly becoming more "wrong" rather than literally transforming around you. Or going into a room and having everything seem normal, then a cutscene, then stepping back into the hallway and it all looking totally different.

I actually think Silent Hill 4 has the most potential to make a good film. The game itself felt rushed and had some appallingly bad design decisions, but the central plot of a guy locked in his flat from the inside and travelling through holes in the walls into someone else's subconscious is great.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Not to derail the thread too much but yeah, you play the first half of the game and enjoy most of it so they reward you by having to play all the same parts again with a loving injured woman limping around behind you. Indestructable ghosts was probably not a great a idea either.

But it's good because it's the only real deviation in the series. It just looks and feels totally different, and that's what I'd want from a film - something that uses the same basic themes and general structure but makes something that is wholly its own and maybe something that can only been done in film, not something that feels like a video game on the big screen.

What I'm saying is I want to watch the Super Mario Brothers film again.

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 7, 2011

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Clooney is actually the only remotely enjoyable thing about Batman & Robin. I love the fact that he plays Bruce Wayne as a smarmy rich fucker and Batman as....a smarmy rich fucker.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I found Arnold's performance amazing. "A laundry service that delivers? . . . Waaaooww!"

Also as others have mentioned, the set design is insane and it's clearly a comedy to begin with. That being said, it doesn't always work--pretty much any scene involving Alicia Silverstone is horrible, and the whole Alfred subplot is worthless, but the greater bulk is amazing.

I don't know why but I laugh every time I hear him say "yes! Kill dem! Kill da heroes!"

The problem with it is it's a comedy but it's also not. It's like Schumacher has no idea what the gently caress kind of a tone he's going for - is he trying for another Batman Forever or is he essentially making 90's follow up to the 60's Batman movie? Some of it says the former, the rest of it says the latter, but it never comes together. Some of the humour works, like the Bat-credit card which is cute if you're looking at it like the Adam West series, but then you also have loving slide whistles.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Here is how TAS mocked Batman and Robin. Look at the sign
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-9bf50OZn0

I can't deny I thought the design of the Batmobile in Forever was cool and I like the bit where it speeds up the wall. It looked like a doorstop in Batman & Robin.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Definitely doesn't deserve the poo poo rep it sometimes gets.

It totally deserves it because of the poo poo story, writing, acting (from good actors) and lazy score. Praising it for visuals and "atmosphere" alone is like doing the same for The Cell, except worse because in Silent Hill's case it's not even original but ripped from some video games.

Super Mario Bros is a better film because it's at least original even if it's bad and totally mental.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

nocal posted:

That doesn't make it a good movie, but why not acknowledge where a film succeeds? Silent Hill gets a lot wrong, but portions of it are surprisingly good and scary.

Edit: Roger Ebert on Tarsem Singh's new movie, Immortals: ""Immortals" is without doubt the best-looking awful movie you will ever see."

It is a very nice looking film, and so is Silent Hill, but a lot of people seem to give the latter pass purely on that basis and ignore how bad the film actually is.

It irks me how people seem to say Silent Hill "got it right" just because it looked like the games and, in a lot of ways, was like watching someone play one of them. That's not getting it right, that's boring. Getting it right would have been using the basics of the series as a jumping point to make a really interesting horror film. Instead we got an extra long cutscene that felt like it had been badly translated from Japanese.

Same with something like The Cell or Immortals. Fine you can say it looks pretty, I'd probably happily watching either of them in a cinema and enjoy them visually, but I would never pretend that The Cell (I haven't seen Immortals so I can't judge) is "good."

I won't deny I'm biased because I betrayed myself and pretended Silent Hill was good for so long. If you want a good Silent Hill film just watch Jacob's Ladder or Lost Highway.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

I meant The Cell. Immortals looks pretty but I can't actually say whether it's good or bad. It looks bad from the trailers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

The Exorcist is one of my favourite films ever. It's in my top three, I love it. I never thought anyone would have me actively wanting to re-watch the second one but, by God, you've done it.

• Locked thread