Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Just returned from the semi-annual run to Alsace for wine.

Gonna be a good summer.

Managed to get in some good north alsacian wines this time around, but still prefer the richness of the southern ones.

Do you drink all the wines you get per year or are some saved for cellaring; if so, what are some good producers to do this with? I know next to nothing about Alsace but after having had some interesting variations from them in a dinner a month ago, I'm curious about their potential longevity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Well.. the longevity depends on two things I think - the terroir and the type.

I wouldn't save Riesling from northern alsace too long, mainly because the crispness of them suffers, they're very mineral in nature.

A regular gewürz from the south is cellarable for medium long time, there's a lot of sweetness to the wine, and it will progress fine for 10+ years, where a regular riesling I wouldn't - all SGNs and VTs are cellarable for longish time - the oldest one I bought this time around was a Gewürz SGN from '93 - from a clos terroir, where the vinery is known for their powerfull wines - I have several bottles of their '82 also - which will be good for at least 10 more years.

In general the quality of the wine also determines how cellarable it is - if you're new to the region it is a pretty safe bet that the Grand Crus are cellarable for pretty long time - the major houses, like Schlumberger, switched vintage last year on their Kitterle Gewürz (a Grand Cru field, in the deep south of alsace), I think they went from 2005 to 2006, and when we spoke to them they said that it was easily storable for 15 years

Basically - it depends on grape and variety of the wine...
Riesling - medium term, drink within 5-10 years
Pinot Gris - Depending on sugar content, 8-15 years
Auxerrois - Depending on sugar content, 10-15 years
Gewürztraminer - Depending on sugar content, 15-50 years (50 is really pushing it, but some of the ones from the 60s are still findable, but very hard to come by
Muscat - I don't really do muscat much, too uncomplex, but I would guess 10-20 years
Pinot Noir - Very dependent on the house and the terroir, in general for Alsace they should be drunk young, but a few houses are making more bordeaux type pinot noirs, and those can be stored about the same period of time as a bordeaux.

Then there's the type/appellation etc...
Vielle Vigne - They tend to develop slower than the younger ones
Grand Cru - you're more sure of the quality of the process on these, so they're a safer bet to store
VT - Verdanges Tardives - Late harvest - high sugar content, more complex, can be stored longer - add 5-10 years in storing
SGN - Selection Grain Noble - Noble Rot - Highest sugar content, high complexity, add 10-20 years in storing possibilities

And then there's the houses and terroirs, which are the most meaningful when discussing how long to store it - some specific clos terroirs are most definitely storable for very long, where others are not, and the same goes for the houses and their processes - but here it is a safe bet to go for the GCs for the beginner.

Sorry for this being so poorly compiled - but.. well.. It was mainly lose thoughts jotted down :)

Thank you for the introduction, it's quite helpful!

In regards to the producers and terroir, it appears a bit to be like Burgundy where the GC appellation is not necessarily a guarantee in quality; just for another reference and if you don't mind, I would be really appreciative if you could list some of the houses/producers/terroir for the four noble variety GCs in your own cellar.

Lastly, if there any books that have helped you and are have an English version out there, please tell me; I apologize for the additional requests.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

I think wine hipsterism is drinking mead

Mead is already old hat for beer nerds, those hipsters have to move on I guess. I think one being in wine would automatically exclude a hipster presence.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Looking for some recommendations for good 1er cru vineyards and/or producers specifically in Chambolle-Musigny, Chambertin and Vosnee-Romanee; I've been reading Morris' Cote de Nuits book and while it's definitely informative about almost all of the grand & 1er cru vineyards, at the end of the day they are just one man's opinion and only has depth for the few 1er that he deems to be exceptional. I have a fair number of Chambertin grands and some Cote de Beaune but I am pretty lacking when it comes to 1er experience & bottles.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

bsummmit posted:

I had a bang on Domaine Faiveley Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru d'Orveau last week. 2010. Sadly it was a pricey option (130 in NYS pre tax).

I also have a few bottles of Patrice Rion Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Millesime 2006 left over with some life left in them. I got a really good deal on a half case, but google shows these going for 80 bucks now.

Sadly these wines are just not very price point friendly but thus is burgundy. A fun comparison along the way is to open up some Willamette along with your burgundy. Willamette, poor mans burgundy.

Looks like d'Orveau is rare by itself regardless of the price point; also, I'm not trying to find great deals necessarily on burgundy and will expect a certain amount because that's reasonable. I'll keep an eye out for Rion's stuff, I see that he covers pretty much all the more higher recommended Chambolle 1er Crus so he could be worthwhile to keep a tab on.

I just purchased some 2011 1er Cru Faiveley Clos d'Issarts and Confuron Les Suchots so I'm looking forward to trying to piece together some sort of baseline. In regards to Willamette, do you have any recommendations on what wineries to focus and compare? I'm pretty clueless when it comes to most non-Californian New World wines.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I picked up a couple of bottles of Cameron at K&L and I guess I'll drink them side-by-side with a young Gevrey 1er. Thanks for the direction!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Overwined posted:

If you can ever get your hands on anything Cameron makes, buy it. He does not distribute his wine outside of Oregon, but I had a Pinot Noir called "Clos Electrique" from the mid-90s or maybe even late '80s and it was the single best Oregon Pinot Noir I have ever tasted.

EDIT: Dick Shea himself told me that Cameron's biggest clients are usually other Willamette Valley winemakers. I think that alone speaks volumes, especially considering the source.

Thanks for this recommendation; I had a 2012 Abbey Ridge with a 2009 Jadot Lavaux St. Jacques 1er and while it didn't come to the level of the 1er, it was among the best West Coast pinot I've had in a long time. The only pity is that it doesn't seem to be that widespread in California but I'm hoping I can eventually purchase some of the Clos Electrique.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Just had some Gerard Mugneret 2013 les suchots for dinner and it's truly fantastic. The wine transmuted into this ethereal layered liquid with a delicate fruit core and a hint of spiciness that faded at the beginning. I'm going to have to re-up for a case of this.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

Oh God! You've had one of those Burgundy experiences. I see a lifetime of :homebrew: and disappointment in your future, punctuated by just enough :vince: experiences to keep you shelling out crazy amounts of cash.

It's all part of this Burgundy futures shares that I've bought into so the :homebrew: has already happened and I'm way past committed. I picked mostly Gevrey-Chambertin, Vosne-Romanée and Chambolle-Musigny 1ers with some Chassagne-Montrachet to round out the former so I'm not too worried unless we get another '04 harvest debacle occurring.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kasumeat posted:

I literally never buy red Burg anymore without tasting it first. Even recommendations from people I trust get taken with a grain of salt.

Edit: In what certainly isn't a coincidence, I haven't bought any red Burg since I've started this policy, and have no regrets. There's finally enough good Pinot being produced elsewhere (Canterbury and Hemel-en-Aarde being the best spots) at reasonable prices that I don't miss it.

Slightly related: I highly recommend Vincent Prunier's St. Aubin whites. Easily the best value in white Burg I've had. Coming in sub $50, in you enjoy Leflaive-esque reductive Chardonnay, they're outstanding.

I haven't been disappointed with any of the red purchase I've made so far but most of them have come from fairly well known producers and vineyards with a fair amount of reputation. I tried going the Pinot route from other countries, hence the Orgeon requests and haven't been disappointed at all with the suggestions given (Cameron) but the problem is that the quantity available is sometimes less than what Burgundy offers.

What would you recommend from Canterbury and Hemel-en-Aarde as being good Pinot alternatives?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

So I'm going to be back in North Carolina over Christmas and I wanted to get a nice bottle of something. Unfortunately K&L doesn't ship to North Carolina and I haven't exactly been blown away by the other online shops I've found so far. Could anyone recommend one that ships to NC?

If I had my druthers I'd love to find a decent bottle of Burgundy in the $2-300 range that's ready to drink, but I'm not super picky.

You could just ship it yourself to whatever address you'll be at in NC. It's pretty easy and I recommend FedEx: get a label, drop it off at the counter and don't say anything.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

I live in Tokyo, so that might be kinda iffy.

Ah, yeah intl shipping is a little harder :v: . That being said, I can help be a redirect point - email me at safuriouslobster at gmail

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kasumeat posted:

Pyramid Valley and Pegasus Bay are great Pinot producers in Canterbury, and Hamilton Russel and Newton Johnson in Hamel-en-Aarde.

Forgot to report but I picked up a bottle of 2010 Pyramid Valley Calvert Otago and really enjoyed it! It has less complexity but the balanced spice and awesome bouquet make it a real easy and enjoyable daily drinker.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

The problem with this article and its use in your wishful claim is that the comparisons of the NZ wines were done with and I quote " some of their finest white burgundy equivalents" that are all either 1er or village.

Crimson posted:

Regularly wins industry comparative blind tastings up against Montrachet and other famous Burgs that cost a lot more. I think some would make that argument, at least dollar for dollar.

Do you have a link somewhere that shows this since I'd love to be able to afford GC better white chardonnays on a regular as opposed to yearly basis?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kasumeat posted:

Look, it's not possible to decide on a definitive "best Chardonnay in the world" but unquestionably Kumeu River is one of the world's best Chardonnay producers, at literally one-tenth the cost of the competition. It completely crushed the Burgs in that tasting which are all generally considered excellent, if not the absolute best, and are astronomically more expensive. The Kumeu River Estate (their "village" bottling) was in there too and was preferred to most of the Burg.

Besides, Grand Cru wines aren't necessary superior. Riper, sure, but many producers over-oak them and they're generally poorer across the board than the 1er crus in hot vintages unless you prefer Californian-style wines.

The Kumeu River we're talking about here is the producer, not the region. The Kumeu subregion is in the Auckland region.

Your argument is inconsistent here since you first posit that it's impossible to decide on a "best Chardonnay" but then go around to say it is possible to determine a "best Chardonnay producer" with the assumption that the best producer is determined on the basis of quality of wine v. price per ml produced; if one's valuation is determined only by the taste and presentation of such wine, the cost per ml has no such function in finding the "best chardonnay producer".

Secondly, the importance of the level of appellation in Burgundies is important because there are so many of them and other comparisons to determine what is among the best should be done with the highest level of quality that is generally recognized; if GCs aren't necessarily superior, then this would actually work in your favor if there was such a comparison to occur. If you believe that Kumeu's products can continue to crush Burgs then, you should recognize the inherent limitations of this comparative tasting.

Lastly, GCs aren't always better as a matter of course since the producers' skills are also if importance - a Domaine Leroy village or 1er Cote de Nuits red can usually equal or double the price of a lesser known producer's version of a Richebourg or Griottes. There are also prominent exceptions where 1er vineyards like Clos St Jacques, Aux Brulees or Malconsorts will easily exceed a Charmes-Chambertin. Also the tasting is hasty in my opinion: Burgundy only really comes into prominent effect after multiple years of aging and it's easy to dismiss them early on.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crimson posted:

You're being a bit pedantic.

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/opinion/the-editors-blog/kumeu-river-versus-burgundy-chardonnay-259717/
http://www.kumeuriver.co.nz/News-Archive/Blind+Tasting+in+San+Francisco/

Amongst others that I myself have attended. It's not a secret in the wine world that Kumeu River makes some world class Chardonnay at a fantastic price.

Thanks for linking to the same tasting that Robinson wrote about as above. I guess it's somehow earth shattering news that New World wines can beat village and 1er crus :rolleyes:.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kasumeat posted:

I claimed that Kumeu River is arguably one of the best Chardonnay producers in the world and that it's excellent value to boot, and your response is this pedantic nonsense? You know perfectly well what I meant. Kumeu River is one of the world's best Chardonnay producers. Kumeu River's Chardonnays are incredibly good value compared to Burgundy. The latter doesn't somehow invalidate the former. Besides, you obviously haven't tasted the wines in question so why are you so fanatical about attacking them?

And are you seriously bringing ageworthiness, up? White Burgundy, the world's most notoriously oxidation-prone wine, compared to a reductive Chardonnay bottled under screwcap?

Actually, I pointed out that the basis of your article is comparing not the best Burgundies and you respond with pedantry that GCs don't actually matter with your anecdotal beliefs about not always measuring up. And if you can't accept your best value argument isn't the end all, be all of one's opinions about what is the best wine/producer, I'm not sure what to tell you.

And yes, I think the producers have mostly gotten over the premature oxidation problem and the whites are once again worth aging.

Crimson posted:

Read closer. They're not the same tastings. And I linked two different events. Did I say it was earth shattering news? You're an rear end.

They're not? Since I asked for a GC comparison in regards to your ITB common knowledge and I get the same tripe about being the best wine vs village/1er and you use an ad hominem, great argument.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kasumeat posted:

You're repeating the same argument, refuting a point that I never made but you keep attacking. You haven't tasted the wines in question. You think premox is no longer and issue and you're wrong. You're an amateur arguing with wine professionals. Keep going.

Your point is that Kumeu is among the best producers of Chardonnay in the world and you use as the basis for your argument a tasting that only compared the NZ's Burgundy wine equivalents, which is limited to village and 1ers. While you didn't make the point directly, the indirect argument is made for you in Robinson's article.

I don't need to taste the wines in question to bring up the point that I wonder how well these wines would fare in comparison to GCs and that is premature at best to call Kumeu among the top when I still haven't seen either from you or Crimson, evidence of supposed common ITB knowledge of their besting the top Chardonnays from Burgundy.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crimson posted:

You seem to be correct that it's the same tasting, the vintages don't entirely match up which threw me off. Jancis' article includes some 2013s which are not mentioned in the Decanter coverage. Regardless, the wines receive much critical adulation, so I ask you what would you deem as proper evidence that they are considered amongst the best Chardonnays in the world? Wine Advocate's Neil Martin straight up says they're one of the best in the world in his article about that tasting. I literally just attended a comparative tasting a couple months back with two master sommeliers featuring a new high end Chard from South Africa, and the comparison wines they used were two Grand Cru Burgundies and Kumeu River. It's selection alone is huge validation. The Kumeu River was everyone's favorite by a landslide, and one of the Burgs was premox. Go figure. This is one of several events I've been to between San Francisco and Las Vegas where some of the best palates in the world agree that Kumeu River is some good poo poo. Trouble is, I know this because I'm in the industry and they don't always publish articles on every tasting.

It seems like you wouldn't be satisfied unless they put Kumeu up against Montrachet specifically, which again, I think you're being pedantic. The fact that it regularly beats great premier cru wines that cost much more, and is frequently itself confused for great premier crus in blind tasting, should elevate it to the upper echelon of the world's Chardonnays.

By the way, ad hominen attacks are deserved when you write like this about fermentated grape juice:

This entire argument has been whether or not it is premature to call a new world winery that can beat 1er as the world's best burgundy producer when it still hasn't gone among the best of the chardonnay world, which both of you ITB people have either directly or indirectly admitted through your own worlds or articles. The upper echelon of the world's chardonnays, i.e. 1er and below, != the best, which is something you still don't get, for some strange reason. Call it what you want but if you're going to make fanciful claims and then try to qualify the best as being near it, I think that's a poor argument and a hasty conclusion.

Being not part of the ITB crowd, I don't have your benefit of the doubt of seeing tastings where blind tastings have shown them beating the best and hence why I asked you for a link that showed this, since I didn't have any such luck on google either.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I guess you missed some of my earlier statements but I've already made the acknowledgement that GCs don't necessarily mean better with the mention of Clos St Jacques, Malconsorts and Aux Burulees with the addition that producer skill also plays a huge part in determining quality as well, i.e. Domaine Leroy or Rousseau's high priced village or VV wines.

The main point I've been trying to make in my definitely wanting to see another Paris tasting especially with other new world wines is that until it's done, then it's ridiculous to try to argue that Kumeu is the best chardonnay producer in the world. In fact, all of the other articles you've mentioned or that I've searched for usually mention a limitation done on the Burgundy selected so that it's a fairer comparison not only in price but also in quality.

Lastly, I'm definitely trying bottles since I love getting near Burgundy quality without having to pay the associated price. I've also been doing that with trying to find NZ or OR pinots so I can drink with ease.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Drank a '97 & '95 Opus One last night with a Special Club Paul Bara '04 Bouzy in conjunction some delicious steaks. The aging game finally paid off with a beautiful nose coming from the '97 and a faint hint of tannins. I feel like it could have aged for another ten years, which is when I'll open my last couple of bottles.

I had Cameron's 2013 Clos Electrique with dinner and it's definitely my favorite New World Pinot producer now; I've tried a variety of CA, NZ and other OR producers but I love the nose on this and the New World acidity is well muted and balanced; I can't wait to try an aged bottle of Cameron's products and want to thank this forum for letting me know such a great producer is close by.

NB even with shipping, purchasing from Oregon is far cheaper than anything CA stores have to offer; SEC wines offer the best deal on Cameron wines AFAIK.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

pork never goes bad posted:

"New world acidity"

idiotsavant posted:

Al the cool kids are picking at 20 brix, man. Watch out, fillings!

Not sure why but the New Zealand Pinot that someone recommended here tasted fine at first but after buying some more, the bottles had a really sour, acidic finish that wasn't as pleasant as before.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

pork never goes bad posted:

I don't know how to mock you best.

Helldumping always works well or you could just do it on foodchat. I could mock you as well but I only do that when I want to be pedantic.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Has anyone had the Ultramarine series of california sparkling wines? They're doing their 2012 release and I've heard some good things about them but am still on the fence currently.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crimson posted:

Are you in the industry? I'd be curious how you heard of it. It's extremely small production and hard to get. It's also amazing, best sparkling in CA hands down. Only thing that comes close in my opinion is Caraccioli, which is nice because you can actually buy Caraccioli.

I'm not in the the business and heard of it when someone brought it to a tasting; I definitely enjoyed it so I signed up and received an allocation. I think there are a lot of good things being said so I got both the BDB and the Noirs.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
On a different note, I visited the Arcadian winery in Lompoc yesterday and Joe Davis' wines are some of the best representations of old world Pinot noir & Chardonnay outside of Burgundy. Highlights were the 09 Sierra Madre that had a Chambolle-Musigny soft fruit quality to it and the 00 Sleepy Hollow Chard. Also enjoyed the 01 Sleepy Hollow Pinot, while the 00 Pisoni still had a fair amount of tannins.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

This is really nice and a fantastic deal at cost price; that being said, it's a lot harder to find and secondary costs the same as Allemand entry.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Had the above wines last night and thought the 08 is drinking the best right now - it has a really nice lithe palate with the floral delicacy that Fourrier has now. The 06 has more potential than the 08 but needs a little more time before it hits its stride.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not that we have a wine exchange thread but if anyone here as any vintage of Juge Cornas or knows an individual who does and is looking to part with a few bottles, send me a pm since trying to find it is really tough.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

Whats the best option(s) for wine storage, with some bottles being 500ml (same radial dimensions as a 750, just shorter)? I'm looking to put freestanding storage in a cupboard. I'm looking for something roughly 6 bottles tall, 4 wide, but I could fit something of a larger dimension.

This is for short-term (< 1 year) storage, not aging, mainly just a way to organize my bottles at home.

I still use a couple of these in my off-site storage since they're modular and make wine transporting a little easier as well.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Recommend me a natural wine from K&L that doesn't suck under either Crimson or everyone else's interpretation of the word "natural".

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

mojo1701a posted:

I'm very new to wines, but I have the chance to go to Paris and Strasbourg next month, and I thought I should start some actual appreciation of wine. This may be too broad of a request, but does anyone know of anything wine-related in those two cities that I can experience?

I've found a wine tasting class on AirBnB experiences, and I've heard that Alsace has some really nice vineyards, but I'm out of my depth in terms of picking a vineyard where I can take a tour, or place where I can experience wine. I'm planning on going to a Parisian wine bar at least once, but I thought I could get some more advice wrt. being a tourist.

For Paris, I love going to Willi's or Juveniles; they both have fantastic selections, good food and staff that can help you out.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there an iOS app people use for keeping track of the wine they drink, sort of like Untappd is for beer? I like to keep a record of what beers I've tried and want to do the same for wine.

I don't necessarily need cellar tracking or the like, but it can be a feature as well.

CellarTracker

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Crimson posted:

The best Burgundian style New World Chardonnay producer is Kumeu River in Auckland, NZ. Hands down. I've seen countless people guess it as 1er Cru white Burg tasting blind. Stuff is so good, and very reasonably priced.

Disagree. Arcadian Sleepy Holllow Chardonnay is where it's at for me; the 2000 vintage especially has gotten lots of love blind. Wasn't that impressed with Kumeu River but maybe not enough age on them yet?

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anyone have recommendations for Berlin wine bars by chance? Have a couple of days off in Europe and decided to head out to Germany since I've yet to go.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

SonicDefiance posted:

I was a pretty big fan of Wild Things. It's run by the same people who own Industry Standard, which is a) just around the corner, and b) has some pretty banging food and a compact but great wine list in its own right (at least, it did when I was there 12 months ago).

Thanks I'll definitely check it out; I enjoyed the JP Brun Amour last night and so I'm now more interested in checking out other natural stuff. Not the biggest fan of the La Clarine but thanks for the previous recommendations, thread!

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Thirding Chambers Street Wine; I'll be making my annual trip to NYC for thanksgiving and will definitely swing by there.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Kasumeat posted:

That's exactly the incredible nature of the 2010s: ripe, but with incredible acidity. It was a cool, sunny, and dry year, the holy grail. Germany was particularly high in quality because they had bad frost in the spring, so yields were minuscule.

While I've had some decent reds from 2015s, the whites and been atrocious. And reds are very hit and miss. While visiting Oakland, I was really excited to see Dutraive's Clos de la Grand Cour for sale, my favourite Bojo producer's top bottling. Then I saw it was 15% (declared, meaning it's probably 15.9%). Not gonna chance $60 for fortified Fleurie, thanks. The entry-level stuff from warm climates made using native grapes which can take the heat has been better than usual—I've tasted more excellent $12 Toscana Rosso than usual lately—but pretty much everything else has been worse. 2016s are a little better, but not much. And everything I've heard about the 2017s so far has been "as hot as 2015, or hotter."

had some '15 charmes, csj, & griotte that were drinking really well; almost as strong potential as the '05 clos de beze & le chambertin that I had earlier this year.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stitecin posted:

I don't have a real plan for what to buy, but I definitely want to get more than Sauternes and Port. How do you plan a birthday meal pairing with just those?

There is of course a possibility he'll be a wine hating Luddite, but at the age of not quite 3 he knows how to do punchdowns and comes over to smell every glass I pour so it seems unlikely.

I have a good frien who runs a wine shop in Canberra coming to visit in April, so obscure Aussie wine isn't a problem to get.

Just get Champagne, it goes with everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've been slowly learning about German wines, specifically GGs and I was curious if anyone had an opinion of the Donnhoff offerings? Is price the best denominator to guide a newbie through this area? I've only had the Hermanshole GG '12, '14 and '15 but saw some friends really enjoying '14 Delchen so, I think I'll try to assemble all of their wines from a specific vintage to establish some kind of baseline.