Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Tiggum posted:

I would like to listen to a podcast about current WWE on a week-to-week basis, like commentary on the plot and characters of the latest Raw and Smackdown episodes. Does anyone know any good ones?

One of the Voices of Wrestling's podcasts does a decent job either the Flagship or Shake Them Ropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Was wondering about podcasts and had a question: What attracts you to celebrities that create their own podcasts? Wouldn't whatever attracted you in the first place get old after while?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I couldn't keep my interest up but did TANIS ever finish up their storyline? Was it satisfactory?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

A tweet drew my attention to My Favorite Murder's episode Coincidence Island but the profanity before they even got into the story put me off of the whole thing. Any suggestions for good podcasts that are informative, not NPR and not filled with cursing?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Did the No Sleep Podcast disappear from anyone else's podcast app as well?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I would be grateful for recommendations in relation to:

a) music podcasts generally; and more particularly

b) music podcasts which have the spirit of a long form article.

Already on my radar (but as yet unlistened to) are “Hit Parade” which examines individual hit songs, and “Cocaine and Rhinestones” which is a history of country music.

Dissect will spend a season dissecting an album by devoting a podcast to each track on an album and analyzing it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

There is a special mini series on the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill that was posted after season 3.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I think that by making shows spotify-exclusive, gimlet could cut out a lot of their audience. At the very least, spotify could get gimlet shows released before they are released on other podcast platforms.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Monster by iheartradio is pretty interesting.
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-monster-28735578/

This season they are exploring the Zodiac Killer and it's been interesting so far.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I wish Less Than, Approximately, Greater Than and 88 were actual podcasts with more than one episodes.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Yes.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Are there any sites, besides this one, that you go to for a curated list of best topical podcasts? I think that Buzzfeed did one for true crime but I have trouble finding any site where it gives a recap of what it thought the best podcasts were for a particular time period.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

PJ Vogt I think is the one you're thinking of.I love their tech stuff though.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Given the people's annoyance at one of the hosts of Reply All, how do you feel about Heavyweight's host? I like the stories fine but the intros and the points in the story when he interjects himself into the narrative bothers me a bit.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Snowmankilla posted:

I don’t actually like the Heavyweight and this episode is so loving good. Was in tears at the end.

what is the episode title?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Chas McGill posted:

Any recommendations for informative podcasts where the experts are allowed to talk at length without interjections, cuts to music, voiceovers from the hosts paraphrasing what the actually interesting person is saying? I love In Our Time for example, but it's necessarily brief, and Bragg sometimes plays a bigger role than he should.

Essentially...I guess I'm looking for a condensed lecture format rather than an interview style podcast. I enjoyed the Reith lecture series for example.

I, with caution, suggest Ologies with Alie Ward. There is no music and not too many interjections from the host while you learn about a lot of different things.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Snowmankilla posted:

Why caution? I like learning things?

It doesn't exactly fit with what you want. Depending the subject, the host will interject herself more into the conversation and even pause to interject a note. Sometimes these interjections can be quite frequent so it doesn't exactly fit the lecture style that you are aiming for.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, I don't begrudge them doing what they need to do, but agreed. I also get the vibe Spotify probably has more control over them than they're letting on; aside from killing the Patreon RSS feed, Ben mentioned in the last episode of ALTH that Spotify has sent over new people to work over at LPN, which reads to me as producers to oversee things.

I wonder how that would work for a company like Gimlet that also has a partnership with Spotify and has hired producers to help with their podcasts before the partnership. Does Spotify bring in their own producers to produce or for quality control? That would be odd.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

The Cryptonauts Podcast might be up your alley for some paranormal things.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

theironjef posted:

Ever since I found this subforum I've been astonished that there isn't a constantly near the top thread dedicated to just murders n' true crime.

That's fair. I think like half of my stuff is connected to that topic. why not make that thread?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Please try Overcast as a podcast app.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

How do I mark stuff as played on Overcast?

If you’ve listened to a podcast it’ll be marked under episode detail as played. If you want to listen to a specific episode of something, you just need to find it and then click on the episode, the episode will download and then play when you’re ready to go.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I thought that preview episodes referred to podcasts that were connected by a single podcast network and they share episodes with each other to get new listeners.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Most annoying podcaster out there? My vote is Elliott Kalan.

The thing that bothers me about him is that he is knowledgeable but then he breaks down into a tangent, usually in song format. He doesn't have to resort to that wackiness. I don't know how the other flop house people deal with him.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I think it's PJ Vogt...though he's really helpful with the tech support segment.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Sistergodiva posted:

Thanks!

The boxing one was good. Tried a small town murder one from Florida and had to turn it off not to wake my gf from laughing.

What episode is the small town murder from Florida?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Wondery Ceo facing legal troubles.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/1325867523401687040?s=20

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/eeddings/status/1361789128006897668?s=21

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

CBC's "Someone Knows Something" first season was pretty good as a true crime podcast.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I’d argue for almost all of the first season of Serial as a good true crime podcast.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

YggiDee posted:

Have you ever listened to Ologies? Every episode is Alie Ward interviewing a scientist who is enthusiastic about whatever weird thing they study.

Seconding ologies. Alie provides a platform for scientists to geek out about their subject matter.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I tepidly suggest mystery show by starlee kine

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I think the only thing that I miss about the ios podcast app is that all the podcasts seems to ask "Rate and Review us" and that's not really possible on overcast.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I thought that the "rate and review us" part was to help the podcast gain more sponsors and thus more money. That's the only reason why I miss the ios podcast app.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

screenwritersblues posted:

Best music related podcast that aren't Switched on Pop, Sound Opinions, or Song Exploder?

dissect podcast.

https://dissectpodcast.com/

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

screenwritersblues posted:

Best music related podcast that aren't Switched on Pop, Sound Opinions, or Song Exploder?

No Skips with Shea and Jinx is a casual fun look at some essential rap albums. Really liked their outkast episode

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

First season of Serial was real good. It's true crime.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

rotinaj posted:

they're still holding their own podcast hostage until enough people pay their Patreon afaik

Ugh. Do they have the cache to do this?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Overcast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

RandolphCarter posted:

The lack of folders/categories in Overcast is a giant bummer.

I think you can make your own playlists though, unless you are talking about the variety of podcasts available to listen to