Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Canadian Bakin posted:

Would this be the place to ask about shandies and radlers? Or is there a beer thread that would be more appropriate?

These folks will hook you up with all the Beer Opinions you could ask for: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470054

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

prayer group posted:

Absinthe doesn't have enough sugar content to coat the inside of a glass; it'll just pool at the bottom.

It coats just fine when I chill the glass first. Coating the glass definitely makes a difference in the aroma compared to just adding it to the drink, too.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Toebone posted:

December to November is boulevardier season

:hmmyes:

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A spoon of marmalade, some triple sec, and no vermouth. It's like, very 90s. But good.

The recipes I googled had lemon juice as well.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

obi_ant posted:

I'm trying to get a bit more into making mixed drinks. I typically only make a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned. Recently I've made myself a Negroni and I really enjoyed it.

Are you me? Be honest.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Only one way to find out, what drink are you making next?

Hmm...probably either a Sazerac or a Boulevardier (Why yes. My liquor cabinet IS about half whiskey. Why do you ask?).

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I assume it's something specific to carbonating cocktails, but I'm confused about lime juice being mentioned as an ingredient in a Negroni and everyone just accepting it. Maybe I just don't know enough about Negronis.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Professor Wayne posted:

Speaking of youtube bartenders, I just made this drink. Pretty sure it's the first whole egg drink I've ever had. I'm still trying to decide if I really like it, but it's definitely rich as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmVLMzQjNo

I'm drinking this right now and I love it. Reminds me of an iced mexican mocha.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

cptn_dr posted:

Hell yeah brother

Ice in a Sazerac is heresy.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Crossposting since it's more relevant here but the Seattle thread is much more likely to get the name:

Qylvaran posted:

I just made a Climate Pledge (my name for a Dark & Stormy with Kraken rum):

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I used to drink spiced rum as a dumb college kid, I would not bother now that I understand good alcohol. There's not much to them, they're mostly just sweet and strongly vanilla.

Honestly, same, but I bought that bottle for the novelty of the limited edition label and wanted to use it for something.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Here's an Elk's Own I just made. Forgot the syrup at first, and thought to myself "wow that's tart, even for a sour". :doh:

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

That lemon pith, drat she thicc.

Right? I had to cut some of it off to fit in my citrus press.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I just made myself a Jungle Bird, which I remember being mentioned in this thread a while back. Wow! I love this drink! Beautiful color, lovely texture, and the Campari and lime/pineapple juices complement each other perfectly. I will definitely be making this one again.

No picture because my countertop's a mess.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Which recipe? 4 oz of PJ or the one with a lot less?

A lot less. Here's what I used:

1.5oz rum
.75oz campari
1.5oz pineapple juice
.5oz lime juice
.5oz maple syrup

The rum I used was Appleton Estate Signature Blend (it's what I had. Open to suggestions for a better dark rum for mixing).

Data Graham posted:

I discovered that there is such a thing as pink pineapple, and I bought one today.

That website sure lays it on thick with the "potential health benefits".

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

It wasn't the recipe I ended up using, but the website that made me go "Jungle Bird, huh? I remember hearing those are good" suggested the maple syrup sub, and I find that rum and maple go well together, so that's what I did.

I can try more than doubling the pineapple, but I tend to prefer my drinks shorter and more spirit-forward. The recipe I used tasted very balanced to my palate.

Edit:

prayer group posted:

Maybe it's just the style around here but I do prefer a shorter drink with less juice, generally speaking.

:):respek::)

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 5, 2023

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

If you have bourbon, you have both whiskey and bourbon, since bourbon is a type of whiskey. I like to keep both rye and bourbon on hand since drinks will usually prefer one or the other.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

So I recently got myself a bottle of Creme de Violette to try my hand at an Aviation. I like the liqueur, but I don't like Aviations enough to finish off the bottle any time soon. Any suggestions for drinks to try, preferably not sours? I'm pretty sure a similar question was asked before on this thread, but it was a while back.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Both of those look delicious, thanks! I'm a little gun-shy opening a new bottle of vermouth--I don't actually drink all that often, and my spouse doesn't drink at all. Sweet vermouth gets a pass because I love Manhattans, Negronis, and Boulevardiers.

The Faded Gentleman, on the other hand, has a few ingredients I don't have but wouldn't mind picking up. Gran Classico at least sounds like exactly what I wish Campari was, and that bottle is almost empty.

In simple drinks, I've almost entirely switched from Old-Fashoneds to Manhattans as my go-to. Dark 'n Stormy when I feel like something fizzy.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

That's the one I have and I don't think any hawthornes have handles. Do they?

Mine has one...

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

If you like floral, like actually flowery I recommend it. But I mean like actually flowery, which can turn people off, too.

I love floral. Wish I hadn't passed this bottle by the other day. I hope my grocery store still has it when I'm back in the States in a month.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

https://youtu.be/zOtKvV6Co2I

I have that exact blender, that exact ice cream maker, and even those exact ice cream tubs. I think the universe is telling me to make boozy ice cream.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

prayer group posted:

Making a meaningful amount of wine will take more than "some wild blackberries on a trail", I think.

If they're in the Seattle area, then it's likely to be plenty. There are so many blackberries around here, just available for the taking, that it's kind of a problem.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

1. Dark rum, Port, Lillet Blanc
  2. Añejo tequila, triple sec, creme de cacao

ultrafilter posted:

The second was called a Rosina Leckermaul and the specific ingredients are listed as Zaya Dark Rum, Graham’s Six Grapes Port, and Lillet Blanc.

I'd guess that Scythe has it backward, though, and the rum/port/lillet drink was the one served in a coupe.

Nothing more to add but that they both seem rather dessert-y, and serving such an alcohol-heavy drink up in a highball glass seems weird to me, a cocktail newbie.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I'll try throwing some stuff I have together to see if the formula holds up.

I don't have anything I'd consider an herbal liqueur, but I have absinthe. I could use 1/4 ounce and add simple and water to simulate the classic way to serve it. Do y'all think it would work as a substitute? Maybe different ratios?

For a base, I'm thinking Roku gin. My liquor cabinet is mostly whiskey, and I'd rather add more botanicals.

Lime for the citrus, because I have limes.

Maraschino for similar reasons.

If it works, I'll call it The Green Cherry (unless that's already taken). I'll let you know this weekend how it goes.

(Yes, I know my liquor cabinet is pretty threadbare. I mostly drink Old Fashioneds, Manhattans, and Sazeracs, and if I want to try something else I add a bottle or two.)

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Let's see if you still say that after my monstrosity, the "My word!"

- 1oz Roku gin
- 1oz Creme de Violette
- 1oz "Absinthe mix" (1 part absinthe, 1 part rich simple, 2 parts water)
- 1oz lime juice

The absinthe gets a little lost, if you can believe it, between the Violette and the lime. I like it, but I might have terrible taste.

Okay, I lied. The absinthe is very present, but the Violette and lime definitely hold their own.

Qylvaran fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 22, 2023

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

By "cider", are these recipes referring to fermented apple juice or unfiltered apple juice?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Peeps ITT have a lot more booze than me.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

bloody ghost titty posted:

For my money, it could be. I have been working up an article about American regional sodas and their prohibition-era wink and a nod towards not being mixers, and I'm delighted to say that the original formulation of Mountain Dew makes a great whiskey soda. There's one last semi-independent bottler in Western NC that still makes Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew with cane sugar, and it's not worth paying shipping necessarily but cool as hell if you're passing through Boone or Johnson City.

They're not doing throwback Mountain Dew anymore? I don't drink sugary soda anymore (I'll make an exception for a Dark and Stormy), but I remember the cane sugar making a huge difference in Dew that it didn't seem to in Mexican Coke and throwback Dr Pepper.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

To celebrate the first snow of the season, I made Piña Coladas with fresh Piña.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

The site hides all user comments except for one, and that one basically says "Thanks everybody in the comments for convincing me not to try this at home!"

A ringing endorsement.