Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

DasNeonLicht posted:

The New York Times had some good, simple cocktail recommendations for summer last year. This was one of them:

Live Basil Gimlet
5 large basil leaves
1.5 oz gin
0.75 oz fresh lime juice
0.5 oz simple syrup

Press/muddle four of the basil leaves in a cocktail shaker. Fill the shaker halfway with ice. Add the simple syrup, lime juice, and gin. Shake and strain into a chilled cocktail glass with the remaining basil leaf used as a garnish.

Basil's kind of a funky ingredient, so I don't know if I'm too keen on the drink myself, but I applaud the drink's simplicity. Less is more, I always say...

I got a ton of basil the other day and had a lemon so I made essentially this same drink (with proportions from this) and it turned out great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Bulleit bourbon is great, but their rye is completely uninteresting to my palette. Rittenhouse 100 is a good deal more flavorful. I'd take that or Old Overholt over Bulleit any day.

I'd also recommend making some manhattans, provided you can get good cherries (mine are homemade, but their a a few decent brands of non-cancer cherries) and decent (not sitting in your cupboard for a year) vermouth. I've been mixing them with Dolin Rouge.

marmot25 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 19, 2012

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

It's not just for you. Rittenhouse was easy to get for about 2 months after its release earlier this year, and now it's impossible to find for another 8 months or so. It's just because, as has been mentioned, Rittenhouse is cheap, and incredibly delicious.

I'd sooner drink Bulleit rye than Old Overholt, if those were my choices.

I just bought a bottle of Rittenhouse 100 in SF yesterday at Cask. I see that BevMo is completely sold out, though.

I made the rye/lemon/basil with demerara syrup in roughly a 2 oz rye/0.75 oz lemon/0.5 oz syrup ratio. Delicious--I might ease up on the syrup a bit next time, though.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Booties posted:

I used an ounce of simple and it was fine. How much more concentrated is demerara? I'm not familiar.

It's 2:1, just like normal simple. I think I'm just used to a slightly more bitter cocktails with rye/citrus juice such as Paper Plane or (what I've been making recently) Last Words with rye/bourbon.

Since I have a ton of basil left I'll tinker with this a bit more tonight during my debate drinking.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

King Hotpants posted:

Yeah, I thought "normal" syrup was 1:1 and "rich" syrup was 2:1. At least that's how I've always made it.

Ah you're probably right. I can never remember so I usually google it whenever make a new batch. The demerara I make is definitely 2:1 though. :ms:

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I made some Limmer's for a friend's party tonight. I was surprised by how light it was at first, since I'm used to drinking cocktails and this was my first stab at punch, but it had a really nice balance to it. I used Beefeater since that's the only halfway decent gin they had in stock at the place near me, and it worked out great. All in all this was pretty great stuff--I would absolutely make this again. I would have tried to Gowanus but I got the punch signal less than 24 hours before the party so I didn't have time to tinker with pineapple syrup. Next time I'll try that or one of the arrack recipes, just to mix things up :haw:.

Thanks for the introduction to punch, Kenning!

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I'll be making some Admiral Russell's punch this week. I don't have a playmobil pirate boat to float in it though :(

I'll go with this sherry although if there's something else on that site that works better I'll pick that up instead. I'm still figuring out what cognac to use that won't break the bank. VSOP Courvasier seems like a reasonable choice around $36 although I might have to go for the VS if I end up scaling this up to a 2-bottle batch.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

Don't bother with VSOP cognac for this one. A VS will more than serve, and it's appropriate to the era – back in the day of the actual Admiral Russel, there was essentially no cognac aged for more than 2 or 3 years, which is firmly in VS territory.

As for your sherry, I'd recommend an oloroso rather than an amontillado. Any of these would work well, but the last two would probably be best. If you use a drier sherry, you might want to make sure you have a touch of syrup on hand to adjust the bowl with, though it will probably be fine either way. Happy punching! And don't forget the freshly-grated nutmeg.

Awesome--thanks!

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Arkham Angel posted:

Ooooh, I love lychee. That sounds divine.

I think I'll try to add some Campari first, then St. Germaine.

I've been admittedly nervous about adding unfamiliar things since we got a bottle of absinthe, only to be floored by the overwhelming licorice scent and taste.

Your tastes may vary I find that I don't get a lot of use out of St. Germaine because I tend to see it mostly in cocktails that involve prosecco and I don't usually feel like opening a whole bottle of that. (Green) chartreuse is in a lot of different things. You can make variations on The Last Word (provided you also have some maraschino). You can buy chartreuse in a half bottle (or even quarter bottle, if they still make those.)

(Related: I'm open to hearing suggestions for cocktails with St. Germaine that don't involve cracking open an entire bottle of sparkling wine.)

e: \/\/\/ :worship:

marmot25 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 14, 2012

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Post Punch Report:

Admiral Russell's Punch is awesome. I went with a sweeter oloroso sherry and some probably mediocre VS cognac and it turned out great. I ended up making it using an oleo saccharum because I like peeling and muddling things, and I also froze a giant ice cube in a quart-sized bowl; people really loved that ice cube. The punch has a fun history, so at the start of the party I did an abbreviated reading from here.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Klauser, I was recently gifted a bottle of Italian "mirto" and a bottle of Benedictine. Any recommendations for cocktails that use either of those?

You can make tasty manhattans with the benedictine, a la this recipe. Actually, the Kindred Cocktails site is a fantastic resource overall. You can search by ingredient(s).

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

I live in the Bay Area, and down in Berkeley they have Berkeley Bowl, which is one of the most delightful grocery stores I've ever visited. Their produce section is glorious, and the seasonal fruits are delectable.

Bergamots are crazy expensive though.

:whatup: neighbor.

I like that the Radiolab episode on "Choice" started off with the author of The Paradox of Choice standing in their produce section.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

St. George's Terroir is, as I've said before, the finest gin I've tasted. It's truly incredible. Otherwise I like Boodles for the citrusy aspect and Anchor Junipero for a nice robust juniper profile. My workhorse gin is Bombay original. Tanqueray Malacca is really quite nice, but I've only had it once.

Oh, I just got some of this as a b-day gift. I love the piney-ness of its Mt. Tam flavor. Any standout cocktails you'd recommend? I've only made a last word with it so far because that's what I was thirsty for but the chartreuse's billion botanicals tend to cover up the pine. I'm thinking simpler is the way to go here.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I got some of their barrel-aged bitters and found that I really liked them in my bourbon manhattans for when I run out of Rittenhouse rye. They're also my go-to for spicing up my sparkling water. I find them a little cinnamon-y, but in these cases I like it.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

nrr posted:

Yeah, I mean do whatever the hell you want when it comes to drinks. Go nuts. Just be careful doing things to the Old Fashioned, and still calling it an Old Fashioned. One of those things is the well documented "wrong" way to make one and it involves muddling cherries and orange peel. Like JewKiller said, an Old Fashioned is a drink that is all about the whisky you're putting in it. You want that whisky to shine through, not to be an afterthought in an orchard of smashed up things and syrupy liqueurs.

A notable exception: http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2012/brandy-old-fashioned/

e: badger avatar c-c-c-combo

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
My experience is that Bulleit bourbon is delicious but the rye is pretty uninspired and lacks a spicy punch. Then again, I have easy access to Rittenhouse 100 and never have to put up with anything less.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

rxcowboy posted:

I have Rittenhouse but it's the only rye I've ever had. And considering its 20dollars and some other ryes go up to 100, I have a hard time believing it's the best. Especially with High West, Russel Reserve and Whistle Pig in the game.

I'm just saying that Rittenhouse is the minimum that I put up with, that it's very good anyway, and that you shouldn't bother with Bulleit. I only have experience with ryes up to the price of Rittenhouse and usually prefer to spend my money branching out to try other, different liqueurs and bitters. I don't mean to dissuade anyone from going on the quest for the best rye money can buy, of course.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

Probably because Rittenhouse's last release dried up like 6 months ago at least.

At least in my neck of the woods :(

Fyi, I just picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse yesterday at Cask. It was the only one on the shelf, so I'm not sure what their overall stock is. Also picked up some Smitch and Cross on your rum-thread recommendation and made an old fashioned. This is some crazy delicious stuff--thanks!

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Are these in at Berkeley Bowl? I was just figuring out which punch to make this year, and it was likely going to be a giant batch of Admiral Russell's. I might make a small batch of each in this case.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Oh drat--that would be aces but we're heading back to the midwest to see family on the 17th. Thanks for the invite! I'm down for some punch in the new year whenever you have another shindig.

I'll make a beeline for Berkeley Bowl West tomorrow for Saturday's punch. Funnily enough, I was just about to ask you this afternoon if the bitter orange season had started yet since they didn't have them as of last Sunday. It's a midwinter punch miracle! There's a certain poetry to it--about a decade ago I was running around Seville, drunk at 4am, throwing naranjas amargas at my friends.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Sevillan orange punch report: spectacular.

I triple batched the recipe this weekend for a holiday party and everybody loved it. Half this crowd had had the Admiral Russell’s punch I mixed up last year and so they knew what to expect when I said “punch party,” but for a lot of folks this was their first introduction to the good stuff. I think this is going to have to be a seasonal tradition. If any of you have access to Sevillan bitter oranges, you owe it to yourself to make a batch of this.

Based on the recipe I was worried at first that this was going to be too sweet and simple given the orange/sugar/cognac combo, but once I tasted the bitter orange juice and the macerating peels I knew we were in for something way more complex/delicious. It turned out perfectly balanced!

I’m already looking forward to punch ideas for our late-summer midwestern wedding. I’ll pick up Wondrich’s book—I’m not sure why I haven’t already—for some ideas.

Thanks Kenning!

Party guests assisted in the assembly. The ~1.5 qt ice cube outlasted the liquid punch!

marmot25 fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 17, 2013

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
1-2 Punch report: I wasn't planning on it, but I made a batch of Admiral Russell as well as the Gowanus Club for my sister's fancy holiday party after they heard me talking about previous punch successes. It was my first time making the Gowanus. It turned out a little dry since I accidentally doubled the chartreuse to 2 oz, but I threw in a little extra delicious pineapple syrup and people still really liked it. The Admiral Russell was a big hit and was the star of the show.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
In belated honor of GWS Martinez month I had a martinez out last night at a great local place and it changed my perception of the drink. This version had some combo of Ransom old tom and Bombay dry (forgot the actual proportions, but something like 0.75 oz of the Old Tom). It was sweeter than my home version but not cloying. I think if I were to make these regularly I would try to incorporate some Old Tom.

Also I asked which amaro was in one of the other drinks and without me asking bartender poured me a little bit of every amaro they had for comparison. I like this place.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
It's almost Negroni Season.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
So the nondescript corner liquor store by my house is turning itself into a Cask. :homebrew: Kenning, this might be relevant to you too. (College/Alcatraz in Berkeley.)

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

Carpano is cheating.

!!!

Now I won't have to BART to the City when Ledger's doesn't have something I want! This is awesome!

Btw marmot, I don't know how you feel about mezcal, but apparently Comal in downtown Berkeley has like 65 bottles. They've got the whole del Maguey line, and all sorts of other stuff. $8-$14 for a pour, which is super reasonable.

Oh, yeah--I love Comal. Wonderful ambience in the back patio (except when it's computer science night or whatever the gently caress a couple weeks ago). They make a great mezcal Old Fashioned called the Abuelo Sucio.

Re: Carpano chat, I just buy a small bottle (they have, or at least have had, the small ones at Ledgers :cmon:) and stick a Vacuvin in it and have excellent vermouth for months.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

bunnyofdoom posted:

Cocktail thread. I have about a dozen bottles of bitters? What would be the best way to test their flavour? I was thinking a vodka tonic.

Bitters and soda water is my go-to.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

In other news, I was at my local cocktail spot last night and they had gotten their hands on a couple of bottles of Abbott's Bitters, which are being produced by Tempus Fugit Spirits. Holy poo poo. They are next level. I had them in a Manhattan and in an Old Fashioned, and they have this spicy, woody, almost smoky flavor that is hard to pin down but which really takes the cocktail game to the next level. I haven't seen them in distribution around the Bay yet, but if you see them in your hood buy them immediately.

I just picked up a bottle (the last and only one I saw) of these at the new Cask in Berkeley. Hot drat they are are good. Made myself a rockin' Manhattan (Rittenhouse/Carpano) with them.

There's no signage on the new place yet but it's open, btw. College/Alcatraz. They do tricycle delivery of booze in the neighborhood.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Devoz posted:

Any suggestions for cocktails which would be appropriate for an outdoor wedding in summer? I am looking for something that is reasonably quick and easy to make.

One option I am leaning towards right now is a mojito made with mint infused simple syrup to save the bartender from having to muddle.

Drinks which can be made in pitchers would also be delightful.

I'm doing Philadelphia Fish House punch at mine. Recipe tbd. Maybe that one, or maybe the one from Punch itself or the Morganthaler variant.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Elderbean posted:

the Manhattan, ...what seperates a good one from a bad one?

The Hebug posted:

non-spoiled vermouth

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
I started using a vacuvin stopper on my fridge vermouth and it keeps for at least a couple months. I no longer pour extra vermouth down the drain in a sad monthly ritual.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Duey posted:

Or Scotch and Green Chartreuse?

A modern classic: The Laphroaig Project

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Klauser posted:

Apparent Sour - 1.5oz Aperol .75oz St. Germain .75oz lime juice shake/coupe/Rosemary sprig garnish

Funny that this post was a reply to me ~2 years ago and it's one on the list I didn't make. Tried it tonight and it was fantastic--a belated thanks! It tastes like a perfectly sweetened grapefruit and elevates Aperol to more than just the orange notes that I usually taste in other drinks. The floral hit of the rosemary is a great.

This is probably also the lowest alcohol content drink I've run across, incidentally. Aperol is about 11% and Campari is somewhere near 20%. Even the St. Germain is at 20% is higher proof than the Aperol.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I have found "cocktails on tap" in a tall jar with a spout go faster than "punch in a bowl" with a ladle.

We did this at our wedding and the only problem we ran into was that you don't get proper punch dilution when your ice is on top but you're siphoning from the bottom--you want to be drinking the stuff that is ice-adjacent.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

You made good purchases all around. Armagnac goes through fewer distillations then Cognac and is therefore nuttier and fruitier. I usually prefer it honestly, and it is often a steal (as you found). Bols Genever is a classic ingredient. Try it in an Improved Old Fashioned (i.e with maraschino and absinthe). Yellow Chartreuse is lovely, especially in a Widow's Kiss.

Made one of these while watching Packers/Saints since TJ's had cheap armagnac. It was fitting to be drinking a New Orleans-tinged brandy old fashioned.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

Yesss improved Old Fashioneds are the straight bomb. Marmot are you still in the Bay? I still think we should drink together. I'll let you know the next punch I'm making.

Yes! I'm down. Still here in Berkeley, dangerously close to the new Cask.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2009/how-to-make-your-own-grenadine/

This stuff was mad delicious even when I cheated and made it with POM.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

The Hebug posted:

So I finally have the opportunity to try my hand at making Admiral Russell's Punch. While no recipes call for oleo saccharum in the preparation of this punch, what are your thoughts as resident punch guru? I'm assuming no.

Each of the times I've made this I prepared an oleo saccharum and it always comes out hella tasty. It will only make it better imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

Kenning posted:

Now I just need to get some Abbott's bitters and I can give up drinking water forever.

They're back in stock at the Berkeley Cask now after having disappeared for a few couple months over the winter.