Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Seth using his girlfriend for content is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

791 video is up with the cop roleplay bit, it's so good.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the whole bit is so good. "oh naomi pierceys quite attractive...okay"

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

quote:

Hopefully it is obvious but this episode and the following episode were both recorded prior to the tragic events in Minneapolis and in turn around the country unfolding. We don’t feel appropriate really putting them up and yet they exist and letting them age doesn’t change or help that. So yeah if you need them for some reason then here they are. Stay safe. We are thinking about all of you and hope like us you are taking this time to either get activated or come to terms with some things or whatever it is you need to be doing right now to prepare yourselves for the road the lay ahead. From both Seth and myself. One Love One World One Race. We are all on this space ship together if it goes down we all go down with it. We will be back just not sure exactly how or when. We will keep everyone posted.
Love JPL

Respect

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have been on my annual trawl through the back eps and was just listening to seth talk for ages about the tv show cops and how much he loves it.

Obviously just completely random but it felt so weird.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

That reminds me of the episode after the 2016 election where jonathan mentions that he has friends taking up firearms to "prepare for what may be coming" and through all the cacophony of that national moment it was the one thing that got through and hit me in the gut. :(

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

798 and 799 are good episodes if you're up for a UYD given everything else; looks like 798 is unlocked and 799 is for patrons at any level. They revisit some of Seth's notecards that were the either material from the first shows or stuff from around that time they didn't cover and it hit really well for me cause I started a relisten like two months ago so a lot of this is fresh in my mind.

Seth mentions being interviewed about his archive by a master's student, I hope to see that thesis or whatever published someday.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Well that was even more weird.

https://twitter.com/headlong/status/1268934086950899715

Jippa fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 5, 2020

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yay Marcia's cancer is in remission :toot:

Also I love that Seth calls his cat "beauty boy" because I definitely call my dog "handsome boy" so much that he now responds to it.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Holy poo poo bevis followed by butthead (ranked separately even though entire bands shared previous rankings) on the fine guy list is so loving funny. Interrupted immediately by caress me down. Then several real humans after butthead. Incredible.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Seth noooooo
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1270487819912445952

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Was COPS (the show) really worthy of cancelling? I haven't watched since I was a kid (aside from Seth's clips).

I don't think of it as harmful copaganda like when the local news shows the cops pulling people over and giving them valentines.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Live PD is suspended because they choked a black man to death. Happened back in March.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
COPS should've been cancelled after that cop shot and killed a sound crew guy when he was trying to shoot and kill a man with a BB gun.

Got shipping confirmation on my signed poster today :toot:

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Was COPS (the show) really worthy of cancelling? I haven't watched since I was a kid (aside from Seth's clips).

I don't think of it as harmful copaganda like when the local news shows the cops pulling people over and giving them valentines.

cops and livepd both exploit the worst moments in many peoples lives and is absolutely copaganda through and through.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
im glad those shows are cancelled but i also called seth with condolences

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Condolences to Seth, but Cops probably wasn’t a particularly positive thing for American society.
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1270500305826873344?s=21

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/shomaristone/status/1270204606916841474

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
There's a pretty great podcast about COPS and the lasting damage of it. Running From Cops it's called. For instance, did you know that the police get final edit of the episodes?

I'm guilty of watching because I find people getting tasered funny. But I stopped watching a while ago and after catching LIVE PD I realised I couldn't stomach shows like that anymore. You can't ignore the way these shows are made and what they do to perpetuate the worst stereotypes. In one week recently COPS was on TV 70 times thanks to syndication. That's a lot of perpetuating.

It's a bit of heavy listening but a great podcast, particularly now we know it gets cancelled. They talk to police who have been on the show, the executive who first got it made (who shows up wearing a COPS sweater) as well as people who have been featured on it and it's pretty sobering listening in parts.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

65: Seth opens with a story about calling his bank to find out when a transaction will post and the guy says, "Mr. Romatelli, if you'll just wait until the witching hour,"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Live PD has also been cancelled. Somebody do a wellness check on Seth.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

65: Seth opens with a story about calling his bank to find out when a transaction will post and the guy says, "Mr. Romatelli, if you'll just wait until the witching hour,"

Was it Adam Carolla?

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

the newest citations needed ep covers the COPS/LivePD thing too

and people getting tased is only funny if they're sovereign citizens, that poo poo can kill you

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I love Seth and UYD but his love of cops/LIVE PD wasn't great.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone remember which ep GODBAMA got created in?? Cuz that's an all time classic

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Found it, 275, also the ep seth pitched Line for Line. Just a classic.
https://www.vulture.com/2011/06/this-week-in-comedy-podcasts-7.html

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
UYD: He hath who wrought this charade

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lampsacus posted:

I love Seth and UYD but his love of cops/LIVE PD wasn't great.

I always kind of reconciled it with his love for the more outrageous segments on those shows rather than some poor guy getting busted for a joint.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
I think it's clear from his tone over the years that he's not some right wing boot-licking cop and authority apologist. He just LOVES the cringe/schadenfreude/'gotcha' nature of watching people get "caught out" in embarrassing or compromising situations on reality TV, e.g. Bait Car ("Bait Life!"), Dating in the Dark, What Would You Do?, TCAP, etc etc. The criticism of COPS as a gross symptom of a wider problem is both complex and justified, so admittedly it's a bad look for him, but personally I give him a pass - he's just a junkie for that kind of TV programming and he takes it wherever he can get it. People are complicated like that

nut
Jul 30, 2019

I’d say, after having read the Wikipedia article on it less than one (1) week ago, that Seth just may be an absurdist.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I havent listened to new uyd in like...almost 2 1/2 years??? but i can only hope EXTREME old age hasnt made jah start being too cringe about current political and social movements
Probably not since he'll want to cling to youth culture as hard as he can, i imagine.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They do a pretty good job just leaving it alone

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Probably not since he'll want to cling to youth culture as hard as he can, i imagine.

it's this, and im fine with it

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Tai Chi master gets OWNED

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I havent listened to new uyd in like...almost 2 1/2 years??? but i can only hope EXTREME old age hasnt made jah start being too cringe about current political and social movements

Haven't listened recently but judging from his IG he's been out there protesting

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
800 eps is wild

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Congrats to the boys on 800. What the gently caress is up with prom in the south bro?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Happy 800 to the boys. Lindsay's 21st being cancelled really was a tragedy.

Listening to some all-time favourite clips. Obvious ones: Seth's crazy wife and Austin Hatch's helicopter crash. Personal fav: the Playboy Adviser glass.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 20, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That loving plane crash one. Even though I've heard it before a load of times it still gets a reaction out of me. I'm as shocked as J and as angry at the dad as seth is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

HEY DAD