Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
For those who aren't aware, the Kinsey report has come under some serious scrutiny over the years and isn't at all the last word on human sexuality that thaddeus russel seems to think it is.

quote:

Two main problems cited were that significant portions of the samples come from prison populations and male prostitutes, and that people who volunteer to be interviewed about taboo subject are likely to suffer from the problem of self-selection.

Joe Rogan has no idea how right he was when he made the gut reaction that it sounded to him like Kinsey was hanging out with a bunch of freaks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinsey_Reports#Criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Shocking that 60+ year old sociological research isn't entirely reliable, I know, but incidentally people who get furious about gender would probably also disregard any more recent research because they think social studies are gay.

What's more shocking is that people still take it as "gospel truth."

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

An Apple A Gay posted:

why don't you fuckin nominate him for president if you love him so much

Because he's Canadian.

I like Peterson on some things, but on other things I think he's dangerously wrong. For one thing, I think he's wrong to remain so attached to the phrase "the dominance hierarchy." He wants to talk about competence leading to unequal outcomes, fine. But let's characterize that as a competence hierarchy, distinct and qualitatively different from a dominance hierarchy. And while I agree with him that it's not all about power, I do think that power enters into things more often than he gives things credit for.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

The_Rob posted:

I was watching the Jordan Peterson clips and that guy doesn't seem as intelligent as people make him out to be. He just kind of rambles on until he half makes a point and then will immediately discount that point by saying that he's not saying it's true or not. I could not parse what that dude was trying to say. Maybe he is going over my head but really what was he talking about.

Peterson is not operating from a materialist philosophical epistemology, but rather an idealist/pragmatic epistemology. The latter is way way more abstract, and the danger of abstraction is the temptation to obscurantism. I think he does his best to avoid that.

Spend a couple of years reading Lacan or some postmodernists and he'll be a refreshing breath of clarity and coherence.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

If Jan Irvin is coming back on I really hope that Joe forces him to explain why he seems to have adopted the "New Chronology."

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

To people who don't realize just how far off the deep end Jan Irvin is, here he is giving a serious interview to a martial arts instructor who likes to play with his sword in the moonlight on how his experience as an instructor gives him the ability to sense psychopaths based off of body language due to them not being "integrated with their body."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hN4vpA6IXc

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

I bet Jordan Peterson has a lot to say about his expertise, which is alcoholism, and isn't completely overstepping the scope of his degree by complaining about blue haired girls again !

Please tell us more about how you refrain from expressing an opinion on anything which you aren't a university-accredited expert on.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

"You're in great shape for a man who's in terrible shape."

I couldn't listen to the whole ep because I can only take so much unfocused bro-talk but that was a pretty amusing line.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

deep space nein posted:

-almost all levels of western government have been infiltrated and almost all universities have been completely taken over by post modernists.

I don't think I've ever heard him describe "western government" as completely infiltrated, and he distinguishes between various departments as to how far-Left they are. For example, he's described Education departments as the most postmodern, and having gotten a masters degree in Education, I can assure you that the pervading culture of the community was univocally leftist. While the department would officially be apolitical, there was no question that every student and every professor was with the Democrats, often dogmatically so. Perhaps the one exception to the pervasive neoliberalism was the more radical leftist tenured professor who could do what he liked and critiqued the Democrats for essentially selling out their constituencies again and again. Think of a Noam Chomsky type.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

KingNastidon posted:

Has Rogan ever had a decent economic leftist guest? Abby Martin doesn't count. Someone that would dodge the "SJW" stuff that would derail the conversation.

I imagine Joe is a really hard egg to crack on that subject. I'm sure he's personally seen plenty of talented comics/writers struggle financially, but he's also incredibly successful/wealthy not in small part due to legit hard work and being ahead of the curve on podcasting, MMA, selling mystery brain powders, etc.

Mark Blyth would be good to have on.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/opinion/when-the-left-turns-on-its-own.html

"Following the protest, college police, ordered by Evergreen’s president to stand down, told Mr. Weinstein they couldn’t guarantee his safety on campus. In the end, Mr. Weinstein held his biology class in a public park. "

From notorious alt-right source the new york times.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

hot sauce posted:

Sounds exactly like something an alt right fascist would say. Mods?

Forget it, you're never going to get the mods on such a conservative forum to stand up against fascism, even when it's so undeniable as it is in this thread.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

This, one thousand percent this. The "Intellectual Dark Web" crew are making hysterical amounts of money by running this racket.

Like I guess if you hang out exclusively on college campuses some of the things they rant and rave about might be an actual issue, but outside of college it all seems nonexistent.

Where colleges lead, society follows. What happens on colleges, while to a degree in a seperate sphere from the rest of public life, does have an influence on society at large.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

I used to think this was cool until I read actual history and learned about Roman imperialism in the Levant and the Emperor Hadrian in particular and now I can't see this as anything but anti-semitism.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Peterson sounds like Kermit. That's a point in his favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

The Michael Malice episode was a bit of a dud, not much talk about the book itself, very meandering. Malice is really putting himself out there on the circuit, if you actually want to know more about his book.