Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

KnK was sortof cool but I often got lost at the explanations. I still don't get the ending of Paradox Spiral.

Or why that giant carnivorous plant suddenly showed up in the school episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Compendium posted:

Same, I am a huge nerd for Kara no Kyoukai. You could clearly tell it's Nasu's most pretentious and yet most grounded work and it helps that Shiki Ryougi is one of my favorite female protagonists of the Type Moon universe. (Although she has Tohno and Shirou to go up against and that's no competition.)

You're right, in the contest of Female Protagonists, I can't say Shirou and Tohno bring much to bear.

On the other hand Aoko, by all accounts, blows Ryougi out of the water. As does Baz!

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Nah, Ryougi is still best. Bazett is cool too I guess.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
Well, I just finished watching Mirai Fukuin.

What.

Why?

I honestly don't mean to call you out, Nate RFB, but calling Mirai Fukuin an ending to Kara no Kyoukai was setting me up for disappointment. This film does nothing to actually end Kara no Kyoukai. Shiki and Kotutou don't even talk to each other at any point I don't think, maybe once in Aozoki's office? If this is supposed to be superior to the unnecessary epilogue, you'd think the title characters would interact more than...Not at all. Honestly, I think the worst part is it leaves more questions than answers, and not in a good way.

Basically the future part of the movie, set in 2010, nothing there made any sense at all. Why has Kotutou started a gang? I can't see that character ever becoming a criminal overlord. Does it have something to do with bearing Shiki's murdering tendencies?

Why would Shiki leave her kid with the bomberman guy? Does she not know who he is? I can't see her being that stupid. That isn't really the issue though, as it is him being there at all. It seems like a giant coincidence that he ended up in the situation where he was taking care of Mana. Like, more than I can suspend my disbelief for.

Getting back to the main plot, however, I don't feel it worked at all. Basically there's two seperate plots that have nothing to do with each other. One has a girl and Kotutou talking to her and getting her to accept her ability or whatever. All right. Why should I care? I feel nothing for the girl character, she's barely having any sort of problem and the problem just kind of resolves and that's that. Contrast with, say, Fujino from Remaining Sense of Pain, who is having a lot of stuff happen to her and because of her. She is properly established, and as things progress you get a real sense of what she's going through and feel for her as she's lying there bleeding out. Maybe I just prefer darker stories, but I still feel it that story was handled a lot better than this one.

The other involves the bomberman and Shiki kind of playing mindgames with each other, although that barely happens, Shiki manages to corner him and destroys his futuresight instantly. Um, ok.

Honestly, the part with the girl should have been cut entirely, along with the future segment, and focused entirely on this guy, set up how he's struggling with his futuresight, and do a whole mindgame thing with Shiki AND Kotutou where they need to figure out how to get around his futuresight. Make the conflict actually matter and draw it out more so it has time to set itself up properly.

Mostly, the movie has left me feeling frustrated. If I had known it was just an adaption of a light novel and not meant to be any kind of ending I probably wouldn't have been as irritated.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
(Mirai Fukuin)Ryougi is a mafia family. Or more specifically some sort of wealthy demon hunter family. Shiki simply took a break from it for the duration of her stay with Touko.

Shiki has never, ever been one to really judge others. As long as she doesn't despise you you're probably OK in her book. She didn't give a poo poo about Fujino murdering people until she killed a bystander, and of course later spared her. To her perspective people like Fujino and Mitsuru are victims of their circumstances and powers. Mitsuru especially was seemingly only a bomber (and a kid, let's not forget) because his powers "forced" him to to participate in such events. So once she's taken away his powers and killed him symbolically (cutting the trigger device) she didn't really care anymore. He obviously pulled himself together to a certain degree given his professions in 2010.

Shizune Seo is there to contrast with the Mitsuru's powers as well as be a throwback to an older Tsukihime character who had similar powers.

Mikiya and Shiki don't interact because I'd say their relationship is the one thing that was settled for good in Movie 7 and the epilogue.

Most of the movie is simply a pretty good Kara no Kyoukai story rather than an ending; however, Singing In The Rain thematically was such a better way to end Shiki's story than what we got in the epilogue.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 22, 2014

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Nate RFB posted:

(Mirai Fukuin)Ryougi is a mafia family. Or more specifically some sort of wealthy demon hunter family. Shiki simply took a break from it for the duration of her stay with Touko.

Shiki has never, ever been one to really judge others. As long as she doesn't despise you you're probably OK in her book. She didn't give a poo poo about Fujino murdering people until she killed a bystander, and of course later spared her. To her perspective people like Fujino and Mitsuru are victims of their circumstances and powers. Mitsuru especially was seemingly only a bomber (and a kid, let's not forget) because his powers "forced" him to to participate in such events. So once she's taken away his powers and killed him symbolically (cutting the radio) she didn't really care anymore. He obviously pulled himself together to a certain degree given his professions in 2010.

Shizune Seo is there to contrast with the bomberman's powers as well as be a throwback to an older Tsukihime character who had similar powers.

Mikiya and Shiki don't interact because I'd say their relationship is the one thing that was settled for good in Movie 6 and the epilogue.

Most of the movie is simply a pretty good Kara no Kyoukai story rather than an ending; however, Singing In The Rain thematically was such a better way to end Shiki's story than what we got in the epilogue.

Continued spoilers for Mirai Fukuin: All right, the part with Shiki just kind of accepting Mitsuru makes sense, although I still think it's a huge coincidence he just happened to get involved with the gang. Speaking of, you didn't really answer my question. Ok, so the Ryougi is a yakuza family or something that hunts demons (when is this ever explained in the animated Kara no Kyoukai? It seems like important information but I can't think of a time when it was explained), and Shiki has gone back to it. Is Kotutou involved? It seems like he is, as it seems to be suggesting that Mana is his kid, and Mana's father is the boss. How did Kotutou take over the Ryougi family? Why did he do that even? This is the thing, I can't ever see him doing that, or having the ability to. Does he marry Shiki and does that just give him control of the family or something? I can't see that being how it works, but maybe I'm wrong.

Honestly, that singing in the rain bit made no sense to me and I just found it frustrating because the movie was doing that and not explaining the future part. It seemed completely pointless. Far as I can tell, it's just SHIKI accepting his fate. Which...Ok, great? SHIKI is such a minor character in the grand scheme of things, I don't see why the character needed closure like that. To be honest, SHIKI really should have been brought back in movie 7 or something like that, replacing that Lio guy, so that Shiki would need to actually confront and destroy her murderer tendencies. Something like that, I don't know.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Like many T-M tidbits, the stuff with Mikiya and the Ryougi Group is buried in side materials and interviews. It was also sort of heavily implied in movie 2 if I remember right. Mikiya's occupation specifically I want to say was from a Nasu interview in KnK after one of the reprintings. He apparently works as a "Fixer" (whatever that is) for Shiki's father.

Mana is the child of Shiki and Mikiya. She is apparently completely normal with no powers. Fun fact, you may have heard her refer to her "father" in two different ways (IIRC "papa" and "father" or whatever equivalents in Japanese); this is in fact her referencing Mikiya and SHIKI as separate individuals.

TBH I think you kind of missed a major point of Kara no Kyoukai if you consider SHIKI to be a minor aspect.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Like many T-M tidbits, the stuff with Mikiya and the Ryougi Group is buried in side materials and interviews. Mikiya's occupation specifically I want to say was from a Nasu interview in KnK after one of the reprintings. He apparently works as a "Fixer" (whatever that is) for Shiki's father.

Mana is the child of Shiki and Mikiya. She is apparently completely normal with no powers. Fun fact, you may have heard her refer to her "father" in two different ways (IIRC "papa" and "father" or whatever equivalents in Japanese); this is in fact her referencing Mikiya and SHIKI as separate individuals.

TBH I think you kind of missed a major point of Kara no Kyoukai if you consider SHIKI to be a minor aspect.

I know SHIKI isn't a minor aspect, he has a huge effect on Shiki as a character. But that's Shiki, not SHIKI. SHIKI the character is around for one movie, has like 2 or 3 scenes total, and then dies. That's not exactly a major character.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The entirety of Shiki's character is heavily influenced by the role of her personalities, and almost everything about the ennui we see in her in the "present" is from her inability to reconcile her current persona with that of the ones she remembers (exhibited most clearly in movie 4). To say nothing of his role in the murder mystery, which was of course a major portion of the story. You even sort of alluded to why additional closure was needed: he doesn't even show up in movie 7 directly. Indeed, the final scene of movie 2 is about all he ever got. The Void personality got some time to shine (via endless :words:) in the epilogue, it's only fair for SHIKI to get that too. At least here it was wrapped up in a much more interesting story with the best Kalafina song.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Lord Justice posted:

I know SHIKI isn't a minor aspect, he has a huge effect on Shiki as a character. But that's Shiki, not SHIKI. SHIKI the character is around for one movie, has like 2 or 3 scenes total, and then dies. That's not exactly a major character.

Nate RFB already elaborated, but I'll add in my two cents about SHIKI. In the second movie, when Mikiya is talking to SHIKI, the latter specifically mentions even though Shiki/SHIKI would be alone due to her dislike of people in general, they would have each other. In essence, she was at least a whole person. When SHIKI's gone, it's where we get the description of the present Shiki as hollow and the conflict of how disconnected she feels from her past self.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Going back to UBW thread titles, my :effort: contribution would be "Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works - Do you have enough posts?"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thread's up
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3667385

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
So, I just got done watching Fate/Zero for the first time. It looks like there's a lot of stuff related to this series though, what should I watch next and in what order?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Wait for the Unlimited Blade Works anime that airs like next week.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The majority of Fate media is spinoffs/alternate universes anyway.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah, watch the upcoming series, possibly the HF movie, ignore everything else except maybe Carnival Phantasm when it's all over.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Play Fate/Extra when Unlimited Blade Works ends and play Fate/Hollow Ataraxia when Heaven's Feel is done.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Carnival Phantasm is good poo poo but deffo only watch it after you know everything that happens or if you don't care about spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuoC6EtIEk0

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Watching anything in the Nasuverse is just a means to an end that leads to watching Carnival Phantasm.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LA9tZXR9mWA

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHtlRlFRU30

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I mean, if you think about it, of course wizards would be oddly drawn to King Arthur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Continuing a discussion from the UBW thread:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

There's one known servant from the third HGW, and as far as I can tell that's it. Sortof bizarre that we haven't gone back further, considering how much spin-off material there is.

Two Third War Servant identities are known, plus an interesting anomaly surrounding Saber and (Apocrypha spoilers) the identity of one Servant from Apocrypha timeline's version of the Third War who probably wasn't summoned in the main timeline. We also know a surprising amount about the Third War Masters; only one of them is a complete unknown.

What we know so far (including spoilers for both Hollow Ataraxia and Apocrypha):

There were actually two Sabers summoned, taking up a single slot, who were different aspects of the same Heroic Spirit.

Avenger (Angra Mainyu) was summoned instead of a Berserker, leading to the corruption of the Grail.

Assassin was a Hassan who was very short. His version of Zabiniya turns people's brains to gunpowder by touching their heads.

Lancer, Archer, Rider, and Caster are unknowns.

The Masters were the Edelfeldt sisters (Masters of the Sabers; both became Masters due to their family's unique divisible Crest, and one of them may have been Rin's paternal grandmother), an unknown Einzbern, an unknown Tohsaka (probably a young man who became Rin's grandfather), an unknown Matou, Darnic Prestone, a puppet user (Master of Assassin; could have been Darnic, but I don't really see him fighting alongside his Servant like the puppet guy did), and one complete unknown.

The war took place on the eve of World War II. Nazi forces got involved (which I believe was Darnic's fault) and ended up in an brief conflict with their wartime allies that was presumably covered up afterwards. The Lesser Grail was fortunately destroyed in the fighting between the Nazis and the Japanese Army. In the Apocrypha timeline, but not the main timeline, Darnic stole the Greater Grail and moved it to Romania.

Major spoilers for the part of Apocrypha that hasn't actually been translated:

Shirou Kotomine is actually Amakusa Shirou, the Third War's Ruler. I believe the point of divergence between the main and Apocrypha timelines was the Einzberns summoning him instead of Avenger.

That's actually a fair amount, especially compared to what we know about the Second War (that it ended without a winner due to a mutual kill, that the Assassin was most likely a Hassan, and that "loopholes in the rules were found").

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 6, 2014

• Locked thread