Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I'm really glad I saved before I spent 21000 caps on the Bozar. What a piece of garbage that thing is. Huge spread, and in VATS it took more than a clip to kill a legionnaire.

I'll just stick to my Gobi Campaign Sniper Rifle and my All-American Carbine.

Bash Ironfist posted:

No matter how many times it happens, turning someone into a pile of ash with an energy weapon never gets old. *Pew* *sizzle*

Eh. That is all I did in Fallout 3. Piles of ash and goo can only get a person so far. Now that I have finished New Vegas, I plan on going through 3 with small guns.

reagan fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

rope kid posted:

Yeah, the Bozar is not an automatic Anti-Materiel Rifle. It's a scoped LMG. It doesn't do a lot of DAM, but its DPS is high and its accuracy is *~ pretty good ~*. Because it uses 5.56mm, there are a lot of ammo choices, and that gives it a great deal of flexibility.

It was poo poo compared to my typical arsenal. Certainly not worth the caps they ask for.

Accuracy pretty good? First I tried to shoot using the sight, and the bullets went everywhere. Then I tried VATS and it didn't even kill the lame-rear end legionnaire when I used all of my AP. And I'm a pathetic bastard who is level 50 and spent a ton of levels on VATS traits. Bah! I reloaded the autosave and killed the same enemy in one shot with the .308 Gobi rifle.

Gun Runners. :argh:

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

SeanBeansShako posted:

So rope kid do you know how well the DLC sales for FNV are in general numbers wise at all?

Since they pushed out GRA it must mean they are looking into doing one or two more unless all the stuff in GRA was stuff that didn't make it to the final release last year?

I read somewhere that the last guy working on New Vegas moved onto their next project after GRA was released. In other words, if anything is still broken or bugged, it'll never be fixed.

But rope kid will know for sure.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

SynthOrange posted:

After going through Lonesome Road, I'd really like a city based Fallout. A mix of crumbling ruins and rebuilt blocks. Fallout Denver.

This is what I enjoyed about The Pitt as well. I hope they go with the city idea and have crumbling gigantic skyscraper ruins.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Berk Berkly posted:

Well, no, that isn't what we are talking about. BoS is pretty classic fallout in theme and location, it just attempted to translate it into an Action game instead of the isometric TBS-RPG.

Note that Bethesda did a similar thing, rehashing all the previous content and regurgitating it as a RPG-FPS, set in the capital wasteland. New Vegas brings us back to the American South West, but now with a splash of Pulp-Western and lots of fan-service/nostalgia.

Then again, maybe New Vegas is the last real Fallout game for a long time. I know LR was supposed to be the last content heavy DLC. In five or ten years we can rehash it all again with rose-tinted glasses. We will laugh about how bad the engine was(like we don't already).

Now I'm feeling kind of depressed. The second age of Fallout is over. :emo:

Bethesda has a project lined up after Skyrim. I think we can all guess what that is.

If they can successfully incorporate the improvements and lessons from New Vegas, I think Fallout 4 will be pretty great. The only problem is trying to decide the location.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I had the same thing happen to me with the NCR on the strip. It seems like some kind of glitch with the MPs near the Embassy.

Just finished that character yesterday and took the dam for NCR. Weeks ago I successfully did Arcade's quest and convinced the remnants to help the NCR, and I told Arcade to go help the Followers instead of coming to the battle. Imagine my surprise during the ending cinematic when it said:

quote:

Though Arcade's intentions were pure and his goals were noble, he ultimately succumbed to the harsh brutality of the Mojave like so many before him.

Apparently that is only supposed to play if Arcade was killed during the game, so I don't know what christ. Dumbass must have been killed on his way to the Mormon fort. I'll have to reload a save and see if I can find his corpse somewhere.

So, now I'm thinking of doing a Legion run-through. My NCR guy was a tank who used the Gobi rifle and the unique Marksman carbine, so I'd like to try something different this time. Walking around in pre-war clothes and melee sounds fun. I'll be just like Vulpes!

reagan fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Oct 3, 2011

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I seem to recall that was due to a bug where if you had any food items stored in ED-E, the NPCs would see him as an animal and attempt to get at that delicious Robo-Meat.

That explains why ED-E murdered everyone at Forlorn Hope. Oops.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Bobfly posted:

Holy poo poo, I'd forgotten how impossible it is to make human looking characters in games with this engine. After much fiddling, I've finally managed to get my guy to look like a middle aged woman with a beard. THAT'LL DO.

I just give up and end up with some variation of one of the presets.

Still not as bad as Mass Effect. Your character will look great in the creator, then you load it up (and wait through cutscenes that you can't skip) and it ends up looking horrible ingame.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Wolfsheim posted:

If you're super-thorough about exploration, OWB itself could get you ten hours, and the others are at least five hours apiece.

Obsidian :allears:

I'm OCD as gently caress and this is the truth. I spent at least 10 hours on OWB.

However, it isn't just Obsidian. Fallout 3 was the same way. Not as good, but I still wandered around for hours. I'm replaying it right now, actually. Need a break before I go for my second New Vegas run.

penis bandana posted:

Raul also has the best backstory, outfits, and voice actor. Plus he doesn't judge you for making GBS threads up the entire Mojave and eating everyone.

I just wish he'd talk to me so I could finish his loyalty quest. :(

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I felt that with the exception of Honest Hearts, the enemies scaled pretty well with my level. OWB and LR in particular. I hosed up with Dead Money and used the stupid police pistol to kill the ghosts instead of the bear trap fist. :doh: Next time.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Strudel Man posted:

And hand penises. And the garden machine. And the ending sequence for the stealth facility...man, what wasn't a sex joke in OWB?

I command you to open up and receive my seed!

I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

reagan fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 5, 2011

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Galewolf posted:

I can't belive how much content i've missed during my first playthrough. Entire Westside, Camp Searchlight, The Thorn, Cottonwood Cove, Vault 34, Sewers and god knows what else. Obsidian :allears:.

I think I ruined the game by being a completionist the first-time around and exploring every single loving marker on my compass. I've already seen everything. :( drat OCD.

That being said, I used to be Fallout 3's biggest fan, but after finishing New Vegas it is pretty clear that NV>FO3. I'm replaying 3 now and I'll be damned if I don't miss the iron sights. My character can't hit poo poo outside of VATS in Fallout 3. And since I'm a retarded babby, it didn't even occur to me until now to ask why the gently caress Radscorpions are in the Capital Wasteland.

So good job rope kid and everyone else involved. Do you guys have any input on Fallout 4, or did Bethesda just tell you to fuckoff and wait for Fallout 5? :allears:

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
How can you forget the subways? Those are the best part.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

SpaceMost posted:

I thought that the designers got lazy or maybe unironically loved Hellgate: London or something, but then actually I visited D.C. and used their subways.

Every single station looks exactly the same. Kudos to the designers for accuracy, I guess.

Yeah, the stations are pretty accurate, but they sure do get old after the first few you explore.

The locations in Fallout 3 that are marked on the map don't really make much sense either. Downtown DC has a bunch of office buildings that are larger than the "towns" that aren't marked on the compass.

I'm playing the game again, and I ran into the L.O.B. Enterprises building in Falls Church. It's a 3 story building consisting of 3 separate maps. It even has a neat backstory - but nah, instead, a burnt out building with 2 raiders is a good location to mark on the Pipboy.

\/\/\/ And if you do feed it into a blender, you only have one other option for your home base and it's in the middle of nowhere. I hate Megaton, but I saved it just because it was a little closer to DC.

reagan fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 10, 2011

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Death by Cranes posted:

Okay, really stupid question, but here goes.

I'm on my third playthrough and I figured I might try some other companions than Boone and E-DE. Thing is: I'm really nervous what will happen when I tell Boone to go hang around in Novac. Will he disappear? And if so; when? Now? In a month? At all?

I guess my fear comes from Fallout 1&2 when there were so many bugs, you never knew what the hell was gonna happen if you told Ian or Marcus to stay put. So please goons, tell me how the companion system works. I trust only you.

He'll just wait in his T-Rex perch, if I remember correctly.

"Is it time?"

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Obsidian Fallout 4 confirmed. Fire up the hype machine.

I'm pretty sure Bethesda is going to do Fallout 4, and then have Obsidian do the following installment.

And if I had to take a guess, I'd say that many of the posters are pretty close and that the game will revolve around The Commonwealth/New England. Boston and NYC could be the two major cities. We visited Pittsburgh already, and Toronto is apparently on the way up as well.

I'd like to touch on the vegetation issues in Fallout 3. I think part of the problem with that is limitations with the Gamebryo engine. The plants usually end up looking like poo poo, you can't see anything through the shrubbery or grass, so good luck finding any of the loot.

Another poster - sorry, I forget who - mentioned several pages back that the next game should start you off without a pipboy. Meaning you have to find some poor Vault Dweller and saw their arm off to get at it. Either that or you can be a nice guy and pay caps out the rear end for one.

In fact, you know what would be hilarious? If you run into some NPC named the "Lone Wanderer" and you can murder him for his pipboy. :black101:

reagan fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 12, 2011

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Chairman Mao posted:

Where are you getting this information? I would give my left nut to play a Fallout game set in "recently annexed" (then bombed to poo poo and left to rot 200 years) Canada.

It's already been answered, but here ya go.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ronto

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah, I started using the axe towards the end and all I had was 45 melee and no melee perks.

This worked for me!

I liked OWB, but I think I need to play it sober next time. Plenty of time over the holiday season for another run-through.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Uh... I just completed Kings Gambit but when I go to Crocker to complete the quest an MP declares me an enemy of the republic (even though I am Idolized by NCR) and fail "Don't tread on the bear"

What?

At least one of those MPs is bugged.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

VisAbsoluta posted:

Holy gently caress, hundreds of hours playing New Vegas and I never knew we have Lucky Shades in there too, always missed them because it was one of the first things I grabbed in Fallout 3. This game. :swoon:

Yeah, they were my favorite in Fallout 3 as well. They are hard as gently caress to get if you don't know the requirements beforehand. You only get them if the Legion likes you? gently caress that.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Are these Legionary Assassin spawns occurring during subsequent playthroughs? I know with Fallout 3, Enclave soldiers will spawn before they are supposed to after you've beaten the game and started over.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I loving can't believe that the only way to get the lucky shades is the Legion safehouse.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Berk Berkly posted:

Actually, you can just nip dog tags from NCR soldiers and/or help Vulpex with his little terrorizing quest in Nipton for some extra rep.

You only need to get to Liked to get safehouse access from Lucius, and you get a free Reputation reset for NCR when the Ambassador sends you the invitation after the first time you leave the Lucky 38 after meeting House.

Not if he is dead already.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

They were so lazy that they just gave all the virtual items something like 65535 durability or something than bothering with actually making it infinite. In practice it's the same thing though. I'm pretty sure the regular, normal durability one is even there in the game files, it was just a matter of whatever doofus was in charge of putting together the reward room slapping the wrong one in the footlocker.

And then there's the glitch to get all of the unbreakable equipment from the simulation.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Goddamnit you guys thanks for making me want to replay New Vegas. I don't have time for this poo poo.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Cleretic posted:

I was thoroughly underwhelmed by the lack of any actual substance in the trailer (a consequence of them having to follow up the loving amazing XCOM 2 trailer, but even despite that there's really nothing to get excited about), but a wild suspicion led to me comparing something.

The Vault 111 suit seen on the Vault dweller at the end of the trailer is, by all measuarable metrics, worse than the vault suits from Fallouts 3 and New Vegas. The definition on the fabric is worse, the design of the suit itself is worse, the colors are way too simplistic, and the suit itself looks less like actual clothes.

The XCOM2 trailer was generic bullshit, there was nothing great about it.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I've only played Fallout 3 and New Vegas on the 360, but I'm planning on picking them up on Steam during the sale. What are the must have mods to improve the graphics and gameplay while keeping faithful to the original game? I don't want anything that radically changes the gameplay.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Those all sound great. Are there similar mods for Fallout 3?

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Ugh, I've recently put a significant chunk of time into a new Fallout 3 save, but I just fired up New Vegas and it is so much better. Goodbye Fallout 3 and your endless metro tunnels.

Does anyone have any experience transferring 360 saves to PC? I just did that myself, and it looks like everything has transferred fine, but I don't want to play for 10 hours only to find out that quest characters won't spawn or some poo poo.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Jesus christ I disliked Meltdown so much that I removed it using the console. What a poo poo perk.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Tweet Me Balls posted:

Except energy weapons can be pretty diverse and fill different niches until you turn all of them into plasma grenade launchers.

Exactly

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Iretep posted:

Allies make the game too easy anyway so killing them is technically a bonus.

I need someone to lug around all of my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Shear Modulus posted:

ED-E has started constantly making this really annoying buzzing noise. This is in addition to the normal clicking-type noise it makes when it moves. Why did this happen, and more importantly is there a way to get it to stop?

Did you let the Followers upgrade him?