Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Just have your pack and pockets be actual spaces in the game and make packing your ruck a fun and exciting mini-game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I'm not sure how people can be concerned the game is going to miss its release date when it doesn't even have one yet.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Really one of the only things that bothers me in New Vegas is how dirty and messy the NCR bases are. Those barracks would never pass a field day walkthrough, and for an organization so rooted in reestablishing the old system, it's weird that their military seems to be so disconnected from what they're based on. There's just ruined books lying around everywhere and holes in the walls and all sorts of other messes.

I bet the Enclave barracks are immaculate.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

See, the cargo cult-y aspects of the NCR are exactly what makes me expect them to go insane about white glove inspections and the like because That's The Way It Was, and not understand the (arguable) benefits of attention to detail and accountability that is the reason why that sort of thing is done in today's military.

And Tradition. Always a healthy dose of Tradition.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Saint Sputnik posted:

I don't mind the East Coast setting at all -- in fact, it's kind of cool, though I can't say I'm excited in the least for FO4: The Boston Cahpahk (tagline: "Wah? Wah nevah changes") -- but not being invested in the plot of the first two games at all, I'm more interested in seeing how the bombs/society's survival looks in other places. I want to visit New Orleans and Seattle and Mexico City, meet some local warlords and see what mutated beasties are local to the area. The idea of these isolated pockets are cooler to me than the spread of civilization from a single vault in California, because that doesn't have as many facets to it.

This is exactly how I feel about it as well. There are mentions of things that happened all over the place, and I want to see that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

They completely bungled up the "inter-faction-warfare" by a) not having any and b) writing it as completely irrelevant to what you're doing

That's really not the part of the game most people mean when they talk about what they like from NV over 3.

Usually, they mean the little moments in the game. The more meaningful dialogue, actual dialogue branching to an extent, decisions that matter, not having the game end by shaming you into killing yourself instead of sending one of the gaggle of others in the room with you who are immune to radiation and won't be harmed in any way by pushing the buttons.

Little stuff like that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Fawkes was amazing, and if you send him into the control room his response to the control panel was amazing.

Brainamp posted:

I think it took a whole expansion for Fallout 3 to have any post-game content, and a separate patch before any of your companions, some of whom were immune to radiation, would enter the chamber at the end.

Broken Steel added both post-end gameplay and let you send in Fawkes or one of the other immune to radiation companions. It just guild tripped you the entire time for sending in somebody who benefits from radiation instead of sacrificing yourself for ~reasons~. I'm pretty sure it goes as far as using the word coward, but it's been a long time since I've played the end of F3.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Guys how come this game that came out years ago isn't more like this movie that came out last month?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Yeah because all of the references to Furiosa and flame guitar dude are talking about the original films.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The main draw in FO3 is everything that isn't the main quest.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Doing a very cursory look, it seems like what we know of as modern ergonomics really didn't come about until WW2 or the rear end end of it. If I remember the story right, the folks designing the PB3000 realized halfway through designing it that it'd be cumbersome to use, practically, but realized of course It would be.

Rope kid mentioned a few times that the JFK assassination was the cutoff date that he used for picking songs from our timeline, so it doesn't really stand that ergonomic development would have split off before the Cold War even started.

The lack of transistors is a better explanation.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Ergonomics are by no means an exact science. For decades ergonomics championed what the etiquette dictated - upright, rigid behaviour without much regard for actual needs of the human frame. Only in recent years, way after the Fallout timeframe, did the ergonomics move towards the study of organic human positioning.

Okay but that's not at all what I was responding to. Bibs was claiming the Pipboy was somehow the one thing in the entire fallout universe inspired by mid-40s concepts instead of the late-50s early-60s that inspired everything else.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I hate how there's an assumption that all homosexuality has been scoured from the game because your protagonist starts the game married with a kid.

Do bisexual people not exist any more?

Bisexuality and homosexuality are two different things, buddy.

Also this conversation reminded me of the guy that was grossed out by his dialogue options after picking Confirmed Bachelor and was mad it wasn't about being bros with random dudes.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

All of the best parts of Rome, like slavery and breeding camps.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

There should be an optional patch with TTW to replace the DC super mutants with their Fallout 3 counterparts.

There is

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Raider bands, sure, but no organized nation-states like the Legion

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Not really sure how you can claim the Khans were committing various crimes when they were the only thing close to a Law in the region at the time. They were also exactly the sort of authoritarian system you're calling for, and got trounced by the democratic NCR pretty thoroughly when contact was made.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

double nine posted:

My issue with the boomers is that getting to their base is a pain in the rear end and it is an infuriating waste of time to do their quests - you effectively have to run for 5 minutes along a flat plain with no landmarks to speak of. Which is pretty much the case for their entire base: nothing visually interesting to look at, anywhere.

The authentic Air Force base experience.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Clutter on military bases (Forlorn Hope excepted) or the Strip is bad tho.

If a single staff NCO worth their rockers saw the state of Camp McCarran and didn't blow their top, the NCR's military truly has cast off the shackles of the past.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Wandering around in the villa just so I can get enough LoBs to get a cut on a speaker that may or may not be on the other side of a wall from me is the sort of thing I have nightmares about.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Plate armor works against bullets, it just doesn't work especially well, especially compared to modern ceramic plates and how heavy the steel plates end up being.

Also the shoulder plates (at least in modern real world plate set-ups) protect the heart and all the big vessels around it from the side. Plates under the arm are too low to protect that region.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Iretep posted:

I think plate armor still worked pretty well against ww1 era guns but as guns got better it wasnt useful anymore due to bullets being able to penetrate much better. Plate armor might be still pretty good at stopping subsonic bullets like handguns but any mordern rifle shouldnt have a problem penetrating the armor. Main bonus they might have is deflecting indriect hits.

People gave up on plate armor hundreds of years before WW1. They just gave it another shot during WW1 because they were trying to think of some way to stop sitting in a hole waiting for an artillery shell to find them. They eventually realized that it would take an entire vehicle's worth of armor plating to provide effective protection and the tank was invented.

Also handgun rounds aren't subsonic unless they're specifically loaded for it, like any other round.

And the guy that took a round to the head in that video survived because 1) a kevlar is bigger than a head and 2) the kevlar did its job of deflecting a glancing hit away. Kevlars are designed to deflect bullets and stop shrapnel, they won't stop a direct hit from pretty much any firearm.

Armor seen in NV might not be super effective, but its better than nothing, and at least if a round penetrates it had to expend a lot of energy getting through the plate. That's less energy it can use to harm you, so survivability goes up.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I feel like internet celebrity Micromancer posted a picture of his steam library a few years back with over 1000 hours played in New Vegas.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Even with the DLC, the game straight up calls you a coward for not killing yourself to save the wasteland.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Getting shot in the head has historically had negative effects on memory as well.

But yeah rope kid has pointed out that just because the Courier is asking about something doesn't mean they're ignorant of it. It'd be kind of hard to work in that area without having an inkling of what things like the NCR are.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The way the engine handles DLC and mods would have actually helped them integrate mod callbacks, but like Acebuckeye13 said, the actual writing/recording of the lines were the main issue.

When you add DLC/mods to the game, they basically load in chunks, with each one overwriting anything that came before it if there's any overlap. For example, the base game might say that a certain chunk of the overworld is just a hill, but DLC says no actually this hill has a door here, and the game just rolls with whatever is loaded last.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

2house2fly posted:

The tricky part being that apparently with consoles you can't really tell them which one loads last. I don't know how hard it would be to make them do that, but they've got mods on consoles now so presumably they found a way

Pretty sure they just load in release order. It's what the PC version defaults to.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

A DLC adding stuff like extra lines into the main game is actually one of the strengths of the engine. It's why modding is so robust, most mods work are basically the same as the DLC files as far as the game is concerned, same file format and everything.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Iretep posted:

I always assumed race is less of an issue in fallout universe since everyone came from a vault. The overseers wouldnt really tollerate racism because their job is to make sure nobody starts fights over nonsense. If any of that happened in the first generation, itd be carefully manipulated out of the vault culture over time. When everyone left the vaults theyd pretty much start from a clean slate too so no racially homogeneous communities would be able start. Every group pretty much started at the same social situation.

The majority of people have no connection to a vault though

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

They probably got the remastered version for free, unless they bought the non-GotY on steam

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

That would be Nipton, actually.

The lottery in Nipton is the exact opposite as the one from the short story

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

It's more similar to the short story than Nipton is, though, in that a community has to pick one person (here the mechanism differs) at a regular interval to die so that the community may continue.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I mean, I don't think you can single out Fallout 3 and 4 for that reappropriation stuff when New Vegas has the Kings. But it's true that they didn't really push the pre-War stuff nearly as much in the originals, save for anything that was tied to the military-industrial complex.

And the libertarian zombie in charge of the entire region. And all of the Western movie affectations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

I don't think those were in the original games

I never said they were?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The player character in FO4 was way more interesting to me than the Courier. Mostly because the PC in 4 was actually a character that had conversations with other characters, rather than just an empty void that people would monologue at.

King Vidiot posted:

He's trying to be the SMG of Bethesda defending, and that's really loving sad.

I was gonna say MisterBibs

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

greasynig posted:

Yeah, getting ideas from mods to be honest shouldn't be shunned. Bethesda's one of the only companies that not only tolerate modding but openly support it. Hell, they've even hired modders in the past.

Noted Worst Developer in the World Blizzard has even had the temerity to incorporate mod functionality into the very game the mods were originally made for!

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

I think if you dont dawdle, it takes an in-universe 30 minutes to start hunting through the ruins with Codsworth and maybe 2 hours from the time you wake up to start zapping raiders with a laser musket and fighting a deathclaw.

I just realized the Lone Survivor never even comments on the deathclaw! Theres no Great Fuckery what the gibbering poo poo was that dialogue option with Preston once the fight is over. All of your options for being a man out of time are just shrugging and getting ready to blow up more poo poo in between strapping on pieces of scrap metal torn off of corpses.

I really appreciate her enthusiasm for some old-fashioned rip and tear in this strange new world she's woken up into.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Dead Money is also just generally unfun in the way that only something actively working counter to its own mechanics can be.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

Fallout 3 and New Vegas both by default let you push Brahmin over by crouching and pressing the interaction key (usually E), but that's not exactly "petting" by any definition of the word.

WHAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Just give the bad guy VATS