Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think this counts as a spoiler since it's just talking about a feature from Demon's that makes an appearance here as well, but just in case...

You know how at the end of 3-1, you beat the boss and monsters come and carry you away to another place? That happens in Dark Souls too. Except that you can't get back, since there's no nexus to teleport to And then from there it's possible to wander into another place inside THERE that you can't get back from either. I'm two layers deep in poo poo now...

Is this the painting thing that you walk into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I can't wait to die tomorrow!

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

NESguerilla posted:

Holy gently caress. I don't care if you watched 10 hours of streaming DON'T watch the Gamespot review. It is literally the most spoiler filled game ruining piece of poo poo I have ever seen. Whoever edited it deserves a punch in the jaw.

The best part is that at the end he says "there is literally a surprise around every corner" after they showcase just about every boss and area in the entire game. Not anymore you stupid rear end in a top hat!

I started watching the video review, the first thing they do after some cinematic stuff is flash through a bunch of awesome looking enemies, stopped watching there, I think a review of a game is a little lovely if in the span of 10 seconds in it's already shown you half the enemies in the game without actually talking about the game.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

redreader posted:

This is starting to really really poo poo up the thread, big time.

Ehh, people are waiting for a game. I'm sure we could all sit with our hands folded and say nothing, but come on, get excited for the game with everyone else. Nothing to do but post or play, and most people haven't got the game yet.

Obviously that stuff is boring to read, but so is anything when you are waiting for a game.

But do try to keep your post content up and don't turn this into some post by post forum, those are only good for the moment! Hang tight, game is almost out!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lohli posted:

I started watching the video review, the first thing they do after some cinematic stuff is flash through a bunch of awesome looking enemies, stopped watching there, I think a review of a game is a little lovely if in the span of 10 seconds in it's already shown you half the enemies in the game without actually talking about the game.

I feel like it ruined more of the game for me than all of the crap I have watched for the last year combined times 100. The lack of common sense it takes to make a review like that is something I can't even wrap my head around. I'm never clicking on Gamespot again even for novelty reasons.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
For those of you who might be concerned, any codes that might already be used are likely just that, people running numbers or something to brute force or otherwise attain codes without the actual code. But joke's on them, the drat thing's coded with iTunes(10.4.1) with some file bloat. Got my hands on an OST from a JP release, and it ripped 320kbps, to about 170MB; the Dark Souls soundtrack from the NA website lands in at almost 200MB, and they're 192kbps.

Unlike most people, my car still uses(read: eats) audio CD's, so that's my motive. Learned my lesson about putting actual CDs in a car the bad way, so el cheapo brand burned CDs are the way to go.

Fret not, someone's bound to :filez: the JP rip to the internet, because audiophiles will demand it.

Also, I'm seriously considering getting a second PS3 just to play this game(and maybe Xillia), but new machines run $250. Anyone have any good experience about refurbished, or is a new really worth the investment?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wonderful game so far; much slicker than Demon's Souls in many ways. Hitting my first crux after about three hours (seemingly unpassable dragon on bridge) and having to backtrack to "the beginning" to take another route was kind of irritating. Crafty loving rear end in a top hat skeletons that drop no souls; also irritating. Prepare to die get irritated.

Trip report for midnight launch: around 40 students, 39 getting NBA2K12.

First TWO deaths: tutorial boss :suicide:

enojy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Oct 4, 2011

J
Jun 10, 2001

Played for about 2 hours or so, I loving love it, but then again I loved Demon's Souls so that's to be expected. I actually managed to not spoil myself at all on streams or any videos and I'm really glad I did. Going into this almost completely blind is amazing. There were about 100 people at the gamestop I went to, and pretty much everyone was either getting NBA2k12 on the 360, or the PS3 version of Dark Souls. Didn't see anyone walking out with any other games but I was also pretty far up the line with a lot of people behind me so who knows.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Whew...this is rougher than I expected. It does not control very much like Demon's Souls. Why aren't these cracked black stones working? I am in human form.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

Whew...this is rougher than I expected. It does not control very much like Demon's Souls. Why aren't these cracked black stones working? I am in human form.

Can you elaborate? :raise:

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Reive posted:

Can you elaborate? :raise:

It feels...stiffer. The attacks are all different - I was an expert with the longsword in Demon Souls, but this is taking some getting used to. Just the addition of the leaping attack and kick are throwing me off...what is the kick even for? It doesn't seem to break shields like it did in DeS.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Darth Windu posted:

It feels...stiffer. The attacks are all different - I was an expert with the longsword in Demon Souls, but this is taking some getting used to. Just the addition of the leaping attack and kick are throwing me off...what is the kick even for? It doesn't seem to break shields like it did in DeS.

Kicking enemies off high ledges is pretty satisfying and useful.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
If it's anything like Dark Messiah of Might and Magic the kick is a move exclusively for shoving enemies from high places and abusing physics.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010
Kind of bummed that there aren't any sort of post-ng+ content beyond repeating the whole thing seemingly unchanged (aside from more souls, harder enemies). I need *some* kind of incentive for a second run.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

hyn posted:

Kind of bummed that there aren't any sort of post-ng+ content beyond repeating the whole thing seemingly unchanged (aside from more souls, harder enemies). I need *some* kind of incentive for a second run.

how long did it take you to finish?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

hyn posted:

That IS the incentive. It is unchanged from the first game.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010

redreader posted:

how long did it take you to finish?

70 hours on the JP copy. I could have spent up to 100+ if I wanted to find absolutely everything. There are a few bosses I completely missed, too.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Florida Amazon ordering goons: I'm sure none of you are up but my order just changed to shipping soon. Good luck out there I guess!

hyn
Mar 27, 2010

Darth Windu posted:

That IS the incentive. It is unchanged from the first game.

I suppose it is. The bigger incentive is starting a new character with a different play style.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I... I keep dying to the same dudes in the post-tutorial area. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

hyn posted:

I suppose it is. The bigger incentive is starting a new character with a different play style.

The biggest incentive is buried within the skulls of the other people trying to get where you are.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Looking at the package for the special edition, I can see why some retailers had problems.

It's not in anyway marked as the special edition. I mean if you know that the metal/chunkier case is the collectors there's that, but nothing seems to say "This is the special collector's edition" on the package. At least not in big enough print, and the metal tin is under a layer of outer plastic.

So I really suggest if you pre-ordered and cared about the extra goodies you stop into your retailer ASAP, since the gamestop I went to was handing out the collector's edition to folks whose slip said regular.

Of course, I know this since I got home and noticed a metal case and a download code when I was told earlier in the day, "No, we've already reserved all the collector's versions, but if you reserve the regular edition and don't open it, if someone hasn't picked up their CE by Friday you can swap for it."

So, looks like I stole someone's collector's edition :ohdear:

Xvimic
Sep 22, 2007

Meow...

hyn posted:

Also if Dark Souls is anything like Demon souls you probably missed out on some important equipment and resources your first time through that you can't get again until subsequent play-throughs.

I remember Demon souls had some stuff that if you missed it was gone forever and also some items that only existed singularly in a given play through but were needed to make more than one powerful item or spell. In other words you had to decide what to make with it and you couldn't have everything unless you played through more than once. Forgive the vagueness it's been awhile since Demon Souls for me.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

hyn posted:

Okay. Stop whining, grab a new weapon, some new spells, and try something different.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
So I just ran in a corner and had a boss backflip off a cliff after dying to it four times.

I love this game.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Corponation posted:

So I just ran in a corner and had a boss backflip off a cliff after dying to it four times.

I love this game.

Dynamic Pity AI. It's a feature!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I just got an email from Amazon saying my release-day-arrival shipping is decidedly not going to arrive on release day :smithicide:

QQmore
Jan 10, 2010
Had my first accidental dodge off a cliff while dueling death :downs: lost a easily grinded 582 souls.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Ledneh posted:

I just got an email from Amazon saying my release-day-arrival shipping is decidedly not going to arrive on release day :smithicide:

Did they give you an option to cancel or anything? I'd just say gently caress it, cancel, and head to a store in the morning. Mine still is listed as not yet shipped so I've been debating canceling and hitting a store tomorrow.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I would stick with it, Amazon loving up means you get delicious credits.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010

Xvimic posted:

Also if Dark Souls is anything like Demon souls you probably missed out on some important equipment and resources your first time through that you can't get again until subsequent play-throughs.

I remember Demon souls had some stuff that if you missed it was gone forever and also some items that only existed singularly in a given play through but were needed to make more than one powerful item or spell. In other words you had to decide what to make with it and you couldn't have everything unless you played through more than once. Forgive the vagueness it's been awhile since Demon Souls for me.

Yeah, there's boss souls, and high-end smithing resources are quite scarce. I think it would take a couple dozen ng+ if I wanted all equipment fully upgraded.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Ledneh posted:

When did you pre-order? This is pretty much the last thing I want to hear right now. :(

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't think this counts as a spoiler since it's just talking about a feature from Demon's that makes an appearance here as well, but just in case...

You know how at the end of 3-1, you beat the boss and monsters come and carry you away to another place? That happens in Dark Souls too. Except that you can't get back, since there's no nexus to teleport to And then from there it's possible to wander into another place inside THERE that you can't get back from either. I'm two layers deep in poo poo now...

You can get back fine. Go back to that area and talk to the one that brung 'ya.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

*double post*

Eddain
May 6, 2007

qbert posted:

When did you pre-order? This is pretty much the last thing I want to hear right now. :(

I just received an email from Amazon saying that my product is just about to ship and that I'd receive updated delivery information in a bit. I don't know if that means it won't come by the 4th, but Amazon sure did have problems fulfilling this Dark Souls order.

I pre-ordered the game back in May.

Eddain fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 4, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ErIog posted:

You can get back fine. Go back to that area and talk to the one that brung 'ya.
Well, but how do I get out of the painting first? There's nothing but a broken bridge the way I came in...

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I had to approve my order twice before it finally changed the shipping to soon, and both times I literally changed nothing about the order while preordering back in June. I've never had problems with Amazon before either, whether it be textbooks or DVD's.

Why Amazon, Why forsake me now??? :negative:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, but how do I get out of the painting first? There's nothing but a broken bridge the way I came in...

I can't answer that because I didn't go that deep down the rabbit hole. You have to be able to get out of there. Sorry, you're deeper than I thought you were. I thought you meant you had gotten yourself into the cathedral in Anor Rondo. I didn't realize you had decided to enter a painting before finding a bonfire.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Coolness Averted posted:

Looking at the package for the special edition, I can see why some retailers had problems.

It's not in anyway marked as the special edition. I mean if you know that the metal/chunkier case is the collectors there's that, but nothing seems to say "This is the special collector's edition" on the package. At least not in big enough print, and the metal tin is under a layer of outer plastic.

So I really suggest if you pre-ordered and cared about the extra goodies you stop into your retailer ASAP, since the gamestop I went to was handing out the collector's edition to folks whose slip said regular.

Of course, I know this since I got home and noticed a metal case and a download code when I was told earlier in the day, "No, we've already reserved all the collector's versions, but if you reserve the regular edition and don't open it, if someone hasn't picked up their CE by Friday you can swap for it."

So, looks like I stole someone's collector's edition :ohdear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AdTU_FJSUs

Is that it? Cause wouldn't that weigh and even feel different despite the plastic slipcover? How do people mix that up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ErIog posted:

I can't answer that because I didn't go that deep down the rabbit hole. You have to be able to get out of there. Sorry, you're deeper than I thought you were. I thought you meant you had gotten yourself into the cathedral in Anor Rondo. I didn't realize you had decided to enter a painting before finding a bonfire.
Oh no, I found a bonfire, but there is a bonfire in the painting too, and since I had been heavily injured in the fight to get there, I decided to sit down and rest a bit...

• Locked thread