Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

xfraze posted:

I have a friend who is trying to kill the Four Kings. Unfortunately, he can't find a bonfire anywhere before the king. Is there a bonfire in the New Londo ruins, some place reasonably before the fight? Currently, he's having to run past blue dragons, use a curse item to kill ghosts, and then arrives at the fight with little HP and hardly any Estus.

Can't you use firelink and the shortcut?

EDIT: Woah, that was odd. I was standing around waiting for my summon sign to get grabbed, and then it disappeared, a bunch of other people's signs showed up, and my doors fogged up.

EDIT EDIT: Oooh, there it went. It must've failed the first time. I was invaded by black phantom SlyVia. Dude showed up with a katana and a shield. I went two-handed and just swung until he died because of my mad poise. The lesson learned here is to pay attention to your soul sign when you're waiting for a summon in human form.

I got a humanity for killing him. :neckbeard:

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So is there any trick to getting past the bridge dragon in undead burg for that sweet loot? I don't have a bow and don't know where to find one.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4

Bobnumerotres posted:

Fair warning: Demon Souls is loving Barney's Super Fun Time Adventure compared to this game. The beginning is familiar but it ramps up really fast. That said it still follows the formula of "Tough and punishing but never unfair."

You have no idea how much it fills my (dark :v:) soul with joy that everyone appears to be of the same opinion that this is significantly harder than Demon's Souls.

I feel like I'm in my own version of the Truman Show, and this is the episode where Gazmachine gets the game that was made specifically to appeal to him, although he doesn't realise that, of course, being unaware of the television show built around him.

I'm ready. Let's do this.

xfraze
Feb 19, 2011

Vanguard Warden posted:

Can't you use firelink and the shortcut?

Apparently, the problem is that he is taking the shortcut and all those things I mentioned are what he's having to fight through. Between ghosts and the dragons, he's just wondering if there is a bonfire much closer.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
Yay, bell rang. But now I am lost.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

der juicen posted:

You have a couple options now, The lower portion of the Burg, the forest, the depths. So on and so forth. :v:

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

der juicen posted:

There's a door between the dragon bridge and Solaire that you should have the key to now.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Ok, I was being nice with the early game stuff but do you guys mind using your spoiler tags please. Just because you are there doesn't mean everyone is, do remember this game is three days old in the US and is only now just being released in the godless europa.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This game is hard as gently caress.

I'm not reading any spoilers or grinding souls, and I just finished killing topofthetower Twin gargoyles/maneaters v2.0, but goddamn this game is hard.

I played through DS like five times and my last run was like 11 hours, as well as doing a run with pure dual wielding and no shields ever, so I'd like to think I'm at least remotely competent.

This game is still wrecking my poo poo with regularity.

... in a fair way :v:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Is there anything special I need to know when choosing my starting gift, like the ring that does nothing obviously does something very important later on?

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Uh, I just shot the Red Drake from the top of the black knight tower and he roared, looked like he was gonna fly away, then spazzed out and dropped down from where he was. Then I got 10,000 souls and I'm getting about 5 FPS no matter where I am. :wtc:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Does anyone know how to get to the sewers?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Holy loving poo poo Capra Demon . loving gently caress. :suicide:

I seriously can't take a step without being practically one shotted. How the mother gently caress?

Merauder fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 6, 2011

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Jaros posted:

Uh, I just shot the Red Drake from the top of the black knight tower and he roared, looked like he was gonna fly away, then spazzed out and dropped down from where he was. Then I got 10,000 souls and I'm getting about 5 FPS no matter where I am. :wtc:

It's a bug. Quit and load your game and it should clear up.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Captain Beans posted:

Is there anything special I need to know when choosing my starting gift, like the ring that does nothing obviously does something very important later on?

Every gift can be obtained in the game except for the master key and the pendant. if you want both, roll a thief /w pendant.

The.GreyWolf posted:

Does anyone know how to get to the sewers?

A boss in lower UD burg drops the key that opens the door to the sewers.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, I"m dying a lot. So: what starting class did you guys like?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Merauder posted:

Holy loving poo poo Capra Demon . loving gently caress. :suicide:

I seriously can't take a step without being practically one shotted. How the mother gently caress?

Sprint immediately and try and juke around him and get up the stairs. The dogs will get up there much faster than the boss so you can pick them off real quick.

The boss is actually pretty easy alone.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Vanguard Warden posted:

A boss in lower UD burg drops the key that opens the door to the sewers.

Let me rephrase: How do I get to that door? I've literally been all over the Burg and I cannot find out how to get there.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The.GreyWolf posted:

Let me rephrase: How do I get to that door? I've literally been all over the Burg and I cannot find out how to get there.

Just past where you fought the Taurus Demon

LemonRind
Apr 26, 2010

CEO OF FUNHAVER ENTERPRISES
Ask me about making YOUR thread suck less!
Whelp first time playing this game, and my god is everyone right that it is tough. Trying to go through as cautious as I can but even then the game manages to keep me on my toes with clever enemies. Death or near death is definitely a great teacher since already any time I see glowy loot I have to look around everywhere just to make sure nothing drops on to my head to eat and or incinerate me.

The first real boss also taught me that you have to be a bit ballsy sometimes as I had to run through an undead gauntlet to get to it, leaving the enemies behind. Manage to finally beat the drat thing being really low on health with no healing items, or magic. Then I realized that the only way back down was through a horde of fast swinging dudes at the bottom of a ladder. Seeing this I sucked it up and did the most :black101: thing I could do at the time, jumped off the ladder into the group slashing on the way down. I managed to one shot about 2/3 of the group and cleaned up the rest carefully. Felt like a total bad rear end pulling that off, and living to tell the tail (at least until the next time I died, god drat skeletons).

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

The.GreyWolf posted:

If you mean the door to lower UD burg, it's just before the dragon bridge.

If you mean the sewers, walk up to the boss fog door, turn right. Leads to the sewer entrance and a shortcut back to firelink.

VVV The gargoyles of course. Drop a summon sign in the church.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Oct 6, 2011

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
gargoyles wiped out my humanity. Where's the easiest place to get some more :ohdear:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Vanguard Warden posted:

VVV The gargoyles of course. Drop a summon sign in the church.

I thought you couldn't drop a summon sign while hollowed?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Anyone on the xbox 360 version able to give me a hand with the capra demon? I have a summon sign up right outside of his room.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
You can farm The rats under the dragon bridge if you want.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

How are the dark knights fair? No matter how much stamina you have or what shield you have their overhead swing goes right through it and deals half your health in damage, and they loving aim-bot onto you, there's no way to dodge it.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Phoix posted:

Whoever said that Blight Town is the worst part of the game is a god drat liar. Anor Londo spoilers, the painting is a billion times worse. :mad:

The Painting was a fun romp in the park compared to blighttown. That said your response to it has me laughing. Just wait until you get to the Tomb of the Giants. The real Dark Souls starts here.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I thought you couldn't drop a summon sign while hollowed?

You can drop it both hollowed and human, you just need humanity to summon other people and invade.

Bobnumerotres posted:

No matter how much stamina you have or what shield you have their overhead swing goes right through it and deals half your health in damage, and they loving aim-bot onto you, there's no way to dodge it.

So don't get hit by the overhead swing.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

gargoyles wiped out my humanity. Where's the easiest place to get some more :ohdear:

Go back down to the dragon bridge and kill rats back and forth right under the bridge ^^

Later on you'll reach the library and a jail bit that has lamiae looking things. They drop humanity at some sort of insane rate, there's a group of 8-9 and I usually get 1-2 each time I kill them, sometimes more.

Failboattootoot posted:

The Painting was a fun romp in the park compared to blighttown. That said your response to it has me laughing. Just wait until you get to the Tomb of the Giants. The real Dark Souls starts here.

loving Tomb of the giants.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Crowbear posted:

Welp I know what weapon I want for dicking around purposes.

Dragon Bone Fist: 135 base damage, A scaling for STR, raises your magic and fire defense, and a special note.

:stare:

I'm gonna go around and loving shoryuken some monsters.

Where do I get this :stare:

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

I'm a few hours into this game playing as a Knight (great for facing a lot of your opponents up close, though sometimes I wouldn't mind a long-range weapon), and this is indeed the successor to the Demon's Souls I know and love (and hate). The last major part I got to was the first blacksmith, and man, was it ever a battle to get to him. Still, it's so satisfying to make those breakthroughs and gradually make new shortcuts. And I'm very grateful for those Estus Flasks. I don't know how I'd do it otherwise.

Maybe I'm not remembering Demon's Souls that well, but it seems the enemies in Dark Souls are pretty smart, even the lower-ranked ones. Like the way the spearmen always keep a shield between you and him, and the ones that hop back when you thrust at them. Even the first boss, not counting the tutorial one. After dying a few times to the Taurus Demon, I saw a message about attacking from above, which seems pretty obvious in retrospect. So I went up there to catch a breather, and not long after the Demon jumps up right there with me! :aaa: Even remembering the plunging trick didn't exactly make the battle a snap.

Anyways, I'm trying to stay away from spoilers, but what good does regaining your Humanity do in this game? It doesn't seem to give me any extra health, and the only thing I've caught from this thread is the higher your Humanity number, the better the odds of getting items.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Additional question: Whats the best covenent for a warrior to join? This play through is focused entirely on smashing things with big weapons and or hiding behind a shield.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Nick Biped posted:

I'm a few hours into this game playing as a Knight (great for facing a lot of your opponents up close, though sometimes I wouldn't mind a long-range weapon), and this is indeed the successor to the Demon's Souls I know and love (and hate). The last major part I got to was the first blacksmith, and man, was it ever a battle to get to him. Still, it's so satisfying to make those breakthroughs and gradually make new shortcuts. And I'm very grateful for those Estus Flasks. I don't know how I'd do it otherwise.

Maybe I'm not remembering Demon's Souls that well, but it seems the enemies in Dark Souls are pretty smart, even the lower-ranked ones. Like the way the spearmen always keep a shield between you and him, and the ones that hop back when you thrust at them. Even the first boss, not counting the tutorial one. After dying a few times to the Taurus Demon, I saw a message about attacking from above, which seems pretty obvious in retrospect. So I went up there to catch a breather, and not long after the Demon jumps up right there with me! :aaa: Even remembering the plunging trick didn't exactly make the battle a snap.

Anyways, I'm trying to stay away from spoilers, but what good does regaining your Humanity do in this game? It doesn't seem to give me any extra health, and the only thing I've caught from this thread is the higher your Humanity number, the better the odds of getting items.

Curse resistance. Though that's not being in human form, just having humanity stocked. Human form is mostly conversations, and summoning/invading.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So for anyone who has the strategy guide, have you been able to successfully register it on Future Press' site yet? I've managed to enter the ISBN # fine, but now it's asking me to enter the first word on X page, and I keep getting the wrong answer. I assume the word they want is like the header word at the very top of the page, but everything I try doesn't work. All caps, no caps, it keeps saying wrong answer. What am I doing wrong here?

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

qbert posted:

So for anyone who has the strategy guide, have you been able to successfully register it on Future Press' site yet? I've managed to enter the ISBN # fine, but now it's asking me to enter the first word on X page, and I keep getting the wrong answer. I assume the word they want is like the header word at the very top of the page, but everything I try doesn't work. All caps, no caps, it keeps saying wrong answer. What am I doing wrong here?

Speaking of the guide.... the QR codes and videos they added were an awesome idea.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I have a sneaking suspicion humanity only drops from enemies close to your level.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Crowbear posted:

Sprint immediately and try and juke around him and get up the stairs. The dogs will get up there much faster than the boss so you can pick them off real quick.

The boss is actually pretty easy alone.

Sounds plausible in concept, but I'm up to ~20 attempts at just that and even sprinting in and trying to dodge/roll his first swing, I seem to just run into one of the dogs, get clobbered, and then die before I can stand up. I've made it past him and up those stairs twice, but by the time I can even turn around he's right on top of me and I have to jump down, and by then have no time for a flask, plus the dogs are still raping me.
Maybe I'm just not ready for this encounter yet? I'm SL22, 14 Vit, 15 Endur, started Thief, using the Black Leather gear, and a Hollowed shield. Should I be going somewhere else?

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

^^^^^^^^^
What weapon??

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion humanity only drops from enemies close to your level.

I think the item drop rate drops off as you level, that might be it.... As far as "just getting it" when they die? Kill them in an area where you haven't killed the boss.

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
I've been messing around in the area behind the sealed door in the forest (The one that needed the key worth 20,000 souls) The mushroom people are just adorable :3:

Also holy poo poo the Grey Wolf boss is fantastic. easily my favorite boss so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Defiant Sally posted:

Additional question: Whats the best covenent for a warrior to join? This play through is focused entirely on smashing things with big weapons and or hiding behind a shield.

There is generally something useful out of all the covenants no matter what your specialty is. It's more a matter of what you want to do. Fight people? Coop more? Be a massive dick? There is a covenant for that.

• Locked thread