Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, the online portion seems really dead this time around. I want to be an rear end in a top hat and loving kill people. Staying alive in human form seems next to impossible. Unless you just become one than invade right away?

Well, that's what I've been doing. Save a humanity item until you feel like invading, then eat it to become human and start invading. The problem is:

-People are much less likely to be alive in this game than in Demon's Souls because you never automatically revive. Just from beating bosses, you would come back to life in Demon's Souls and be open to invasion. In Dark Souls, you could go through the entire game without spending humanity to unhollow. On top of this, Stone of Emphreal eyes were more common than humanity, so that may have contributed to more people playing alive. Also, you have no tangible downside to staying dead. In Demon's Souls you lost 25% of your max life if you didn't have your body, so that was a minor incentive to run around playing alive instead of dead. You get a better drop rate in Dark Souls for being alive instead of dead, but that's a bonus to being alive instead of a penalty for being dead. Overall, more people are running around dead right now.

-There is no server. If I drop a sign to be summoned in Demon's Souls, everyone who is playing on the US server can see it. If you try to invade, it's drawing on a pool of every person online. In Dark Souls, you have some kind of P2P system that determines people who are "near" you (not by physical location probably). So you can drop a sign to be summoned and tell your friend where it is, but it might not be available to him. Similarly, when you try to invade you are drawing on a much smaller pool of people than you were in Demon's Souls.

So despite having more players online right now than Demon's Souls ever did, those two factors mean that you have a much smaller pool of people to potentially invade. Also, when you try to invade and fail (which is what happens almost every time), it still uses up the invasion item! Later on you can join a covenant that lets you invade an unlimited amount, but if you wanted to invade a bunch when you were a lower level character then you are out of luck.

Overall it's really disappointing. Invading people in Demon's Souls for a side diversion was fun, but BEING invaded while trying to beat a level was also really exciting. I haven't been invaded once in 25 hours of play, and I've still never been summoned despite dropping white soul signs constantly.

These are all technical problems too, that are just related to the nature of how they set up the online infrastructure. You could also critique the gameplay design. In Demon's Souls you could only invade when dead, and doing so made you regain your body (which then opened you up to being invaded). It was an elegant system of incentives. Since you can only invade now if you're alive (meaning you had some humanity), the reward of "more humanity even though you already had some" just feels kind of tacked on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Smelly posted:

I'm sure a few weeks from now it'll be stronger. A lot of people are more than likely staying hallowed so they don't get invaded in their first run through areas.

Or they'll lose interest and not play at all. Y'know, whichever.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

LemonRind posted:

Ughhh really need help with that dog boss guy. It seems that no matter what I do I'm interrupted by the dogs before I can dodge and get hit for half my health. I tried to go up the stairs, but the guy followed me. It's just too much pressure for me. I'm level 19 at the moment so am I under leveled, or do I just need to get into position and somehow kill the dogs.

One stat that people aren't taking full advantage of in some situations is poise. If the dogs are really hard for you to kill, try getting heavier armor so you can just go aggressive on the dogs right away. What I ended up doing was getting up the stairs, killing the dogs (though it doesn't matter how you kill them as long as you can scab away without dying) then spent the rest of the fight going into the corner on the overhang at the top of the stairs and rolling backwards when he leap attacks at you. Then, IMMEDIATELY as he lands, do a plunging attack and run back up.

Most of the time he'll just repeat lunge attacks at you and you can kill him rather quickly with plunging attacks. Every once and a while he'll go up the stairs a lot more slowly, and it's pretty obvious he's not going to leap, in which case you need to bail and bait him back down so you can get up top and try again.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Post-Quelaag question: So I told the creepy egg sac guy next to the bell room I wasn't a servant and now he won't talk to me, but I see in this other vid you can just attack him and walk through to upgrade your estus. Is that cool or will that gently caress things up for me? And where should I go to next?

Also, is the Drake Sword worth upgrading? Has anyone found a better weapon so far?

chunkles fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 7, 2011

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007
Got up to slvl 25 to use the drake sword. Dildo knight still killed me. What the gently caress.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Guliani is HOT posted:

Post-Quelaag question: So I told the creepy egg sac guy next to the bell room I wasn't a servant and now he won't talk to me, but I see in this other vid you can just attack him and walk through to upgrade your estus. Is that cool or will that gently caress things up for me? And where should I go to next?

The guide says that if you come back a little later he'll ask you again.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Volitaire posted:

Here's the thing about the Dragon covenant: the Dragon Eye Stone they give you too invade people sucks rear end. It works like the Red Eye Stone in DeS meaning that the host has to agree to be invaded. So the requirements of the host are:

-Must not have beaten the boss in the area
-In body form
-Within the invader's soul range
-Have a Dragon Scale in their inventory
-Finally, they have to agree to be invaded by activating the soul sign

I tried to use it in a bunch of places and no one bit. And why would they? They're in an area they haven't beaten yet, so why would they run the risk of dying and losing a Dragon Scale. Very underwhelming.

On the plus side you get to look like a loving dragon and you get some unique abilities and poo poo. Just don't join for the multiplayer aspect because it probably won't come up to often.

Holy crap, that's what that was?! I almost activated one, thinking I would summon a rad dragonbro to help me beat the pants off the level, but it disappeared before I could. Now I am glad I didn't, because it's apparently a deathtrap.
But now that I know what it does, it kinda makes me want to use it...

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Is there an easy way from the bonfire in the Depths back to the Firelink shrine? I'm cursed and tethered here. Attempts at escape to become uncursed are going poorly.

rizuhbull
Mar 30, 2011

Darth Windu posted:

That's a pretty retarded belief to hold actually...

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Resine is pretty ridiculous. I went from 14 damage to a Dark Knight to 58.

Spite posted:

Also Divine weapons will permanently kill skeletons. And the morning star breaks them into bits so they have to reform after a hit. Very useful.

Astora's Sword counts as divine, doesn't it?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

rizuhbull posted:

That's a pretty retarded belief to hold actually...

Especially considering how long the Demon's Souls multiplayer was around for.

I mean, I have no idea how things will go on the 360, but I'm sure the PS3 multiplayer community will be around for a while.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Crowbear posted:

The guide says that if you come back a little later he'll ask you again.

Oh. Will I be inducted into the order of freaky egg guys or does he just let me in?

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So, is a mostly ranged character viable at all? I noticed there was a hunter starting class.

It's just that my other characters have bows for drawing enemies and such but they're so cumbersome and slow to use. Especially when I need to take out a bow wielding Hollow, it's so hard to get off a shot and avoid his arrows. Does drawing and firing get any faster?

Unrelated. My Knight character can kick shield guys and break their guard every time, it's great. My thief's kicks just bounce off, though. Is there a stat that governs this?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh finally, I got summoned, we beat the bosses, and I got 15k souls and one humanity. Things are back on track now.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

!amicable posted:

Got up to slvl 25 to use the drake sword. Dildo knight still killed me. What the gently caress.

thanks for labeling him this, it made me laugh and helps deal with being brutally smashed over and over

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I wish there was a vendor who sold humanity and never ran out of it. I really need some right now. If they sold it at 20k a pop I'd still take that as a deal.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Darth Windu posted:

Then I don't know what to tell you, you seem firm in your belief in damning it this soon after launch man.

Just give it time, there might be an issue with the MP (Which sounds like the case, considering I've had NO issues) that From can patch up.

Crowbear posted:

Especially considering how long the Demon's Souls multiplayer was around for.

I mean, I have no idea how things will go on the 360, but I'm sure the PS3 multiplayer community will be around for a while.

Hell, it's STILL around.

Draven fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 7, 2011

KingOHearts
Jan 19, 2009
I picked this game up yesterday and have just beaten the gargoyle bell boss or whatever it is. Looking to do some multiplayer later on but I have no idea where the white soap stone is or how it works.

Is the white soap stone a consumable now or is it similar to the blue stone in Demon Souls? Also it would seem as though they have made it nearly impossible to team up with friends in dark souls for co-op, any one having any luck at all or is it pretty much a no go?

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Resine is pretty ridiculous. I went from 14 damage to a Dark Knight to 58.

Astora's Sword counts as divine, doesn't it?

Astora's sword appears to be broken right now and the divine aspect of it is completely not applied. Tons of reports (including my own experience) of it being woefully underpowered and basically a neat name for a standard longsword.

However, I have a divine weapon and I'm not sure what was meant about permanently killing skeletons. Is that just the ones that DO get ressed from necromancers? Because I'm pretty sure I popped the bros in the graveyard right near the Shrine and they get back up every time I go back.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Guliani is HOT posted:

Oh. Will I be inducted into the order of freaky egg guys or does he just let me in?

That's a separate thing. It's the person who will upgrade your Estus Flask that inducts you into that covenant.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Guliani is HOT posted:

Oh. Will I be inducted into the order of parasite egg guys or does he just let me in?

He just shuffles out of the way to let you in, they don't make you join. Although, you can join with the creepy spider lady if you feel like it. She's also super helpful if NotYurt killed your firekeeper, because she reinforces your estus flask for you.

edit: curses, beaten. :argh:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

So, is a mostly ranged character viable at all? I noticed there was a hunter starting class.

It's just that my other characters have bows for drawing enemies and such but they're so cumbersome and slow to use. Especially when I need to take out a bow wielding Hollow, it's so hard to get off a shot and avoid his arrows. Does drawing and firing get any faster?

I think that would make this game even more frustrating, and its not like it needs any help in this regard.

Crowbear posted:

That's a separate thing. It's the person who will upgrade your Estus Flask that inducts you into that covenant.

Alright, thanks.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Has anybody found a divine scaling weapon that doesn't seem to suck? I have Astora's sword, and as I said, it doesn't seem to do the listed damage. I am fairly heavily faith based at the moment though, and would really like to drop my drake blade for something better.

Blarfo posted:

Astora's sword appears to be broken right now and the divine aspect of it is completely not applied. Tons of reports (including my own experience) of it being woefully underpowered and basically a neat name for a standard longsword.
A standard longsword which is a lot harder to upgrade than a standard longsword too! I am sad I wasted that special titanite to see if the +1 upgrade would fix it.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 7, 2011

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

Captain Beans posted:

thanks for labeling him this, it made me laugh and helps deal with being brutally smashed over and over

Indeed. I have a hard time reading his attacks. The windup is super deceiving and I only see it once before I get killed. I think three or four back stabs would do it. Maybe I should be more cautious, but gently caress him honestly, he is hard to turtle against.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I'm getting further into the game and now I'm getting turned off. Demon Souls had the philosophy of "if you're naked and have barebones weapons you can beat the game with enough skill and within a reasonable amount of time."

The later enemies make me think "Wow I should go back and grind to upgrade because it takes me 3 goddamn hours to kill a basic enemy" and that's poo poo for this kind of game.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I wish there was a vendor who sold humanity and never ran out of it. I really need some right now. If they sold it at 20k a pop I'd still take that as a deal.

I think Patches does for 10k, but if you missed him then you'll have to wait till NG+.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Blarfo posted:

However, I have a divine weapon and I'm not sure what was meant about permanently killing skeletons. Is that just the ones that DO get ressed from necromancers? Because I'm pretty sure I popped the bros in the graveyard right near the Shrine and they get back up every time I go back.

Huh, it didn't seem broken to me, I'm one-shotting guys that took 2 longsword hits (both unupgraded). I'll just leave the skeletons alone for now, though.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH
Does anyone know the purpose of the lady at the end of the painting world is for? I didn't kill you and just left after she told me she wasn't having any of my poo poo.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

On the way to the Darkroot Garden bonfire from the blacksmith, just past the bridge is an item in a cave on the cliff face. How do I get to it?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

If anyone hasn't beaten it yet I'm standing inside Sen's castle entrance. I'd love a summon. I need some humanity really badly. If you're in the level 60 range, cast a Seek Guidance miracle and it helps you find this stuff better.

quote:

On the way to the Darkroot Garden bonfire from the blacksmith, just past the bridge is an item in a cave on the cliff face. How do I get to it?

Find a rock with a skeleton behind it. Then drop to the canyon floor. The item is a ring

quote:

I think Patches does for 10k, but if you missed him then you'll have to wait till NG+.

I found him, but I told him "No" to his question and he gave me some twin humanity off it. I sure hope he can show up as a vendor later.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 7, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Goddamn why does everyone I summon into my game suck but everyone I help just absolutely owns at the game. Ugh!

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Kweh posted:

Does anyone know the purpose of the lady at the end of the painting world is for? I didn't kill you and just left after she told me she wasn't having any of my poo poo.

Supposedly she is the one you give the pendant to if you have it. Also you can fight her as she is a boss with an achievement/trophy. You can cut off her tail if you want too.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Schubalts posted:

Huh, it didn't seem broken to me, I'm one-shotting guys that took 2 longsword hits (both unupgraded). I'll just leave the skeletons alone for now, though.

If you're faith based it still seems to gain base damage bonus from increased faith so that may be why you feel like you're doing more damage. I don't know though. I tested the weapon over and over on the same enemies using various other weapons with similar stats and Astora's always came out on the bottom, faring only better than standard ones just enough which is mostly explained by my high faith and the fact that I upgraded it twice.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Invite me if you're near level 60 Rascyc I'm incredible.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Schubalts posted:

I haven't actually tried it myself, but it could be that people are seeing 80/80 and expecting it to hit for around 160. But weapons that have two different damage types suffer from having to contended with two difference defense types, thus lowing the damage significantly. Or it could be bugged.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What about the item just before the Undead Burgs at the bottom of that giant aquaduct? You see it way in the distance.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

^^^ You can jump over to it and inch along the thin parts.

Blarfo posted:

If you're faith based it still seems to gain base damage bonus from increased faith so that may be why you feel like you're doing more damage. I don't know though. I tested the weapon over and over on the same enemies using various other weapons with similar stats and Astora's always came out on the bottom, faring only better than standard ones just enough which is mostly explained by my high faith and the fact that I upgraded it twice.

I've only got the 14 faith required to use it properly. v:shobon:v

My highest stat is 18 dexterity. I got thrown off the castle by the Taurus demon and have been taking my rage out on mooks and hidden items.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Also as a good tip for new players: Remember that you can upgrade your shields too. You get +1-+2 stability per upgrade, but at +5, it's a grand total of +9 on my hollow soldier shield, which is a *significant* cut to the amount of stamina drain blocking does.

If you're feeling smarmy, Dual wield shields and give your main hand one a holy/magic/fire/lightning enchant.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Blarfo posted:

It definitely counts as a blessed weapon for the purposes of keeping undead from respawning. My advice; make a divine reinforced club. Takes a str of 12 to use and, best as I can tell from the guide, does the best damage out of all the 1h strike weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
So I got the elite armor from the forest, but of course with 20 endurance it was too heavy. So I thought, "that fucker Havel has a ring that can help me!" So I run back to the Burg. Get to Havel, he kills me. Then I decide, I'm going to strip down so I can move faster, since he one shots me. Then I realized when he hit with when he was using hammer+shield that I didn't die. So I realized my shield (+5 heater) could eat that. So I can block his 1h attacks (his 2h still killed me), and then backstab him. Surprisingly it only took 4-5 backstabs to kill him, on my 3rd or 4th attempt. Kicked my load up to like 81 so I can wear the elite set without slowing me down more than the .25 load which is normal.

I still died twice to mis-timed 2handed shots. I then just rolled away backwards from his 2h attacks until he switched back to his shield. It was surprisingly easy. It was a pretty rewarding fight once I figured it out.

• Locked thread