Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

How in the name of god do I get to Blighttown? I did the parish, got 'the depths' key but I have no freakin idea where to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Onslaught posted:

This is pretty amazing, if you pay 20k for the key to go behind the glowy door in the forest, a bunch of other players are waiting there to kill you at all times. Even if you aren't in human form, they're still there! It's awesome, but I am getting a bit annoyed trying to run past 5 people to see what's on the other side of this door.
No, they're definitely normal enemies and not player characters.

I did get invaded twice on my way to fight the boss of that area though. Both times they were a loser who came half stepping and backed into my lightning halberd.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Samurai Sanders posted:

No, they're definitely normal enemies and not player characters.

I did get invaded twice on my way to fight the boss of that area though. Both times they were a loser who came half stepping and backed into my lightning halberd.

Are you sure? They keep bowing after killing me

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Valkrye posted:

Is there a bonfire anywhere in Sen's Fortress?

I'm outside the boss room now and I have no flask charges.

Yes. There's a little ledge you can drop down onto (if you look down over the ledge you'll even see the bonfire right there). The platform you will fall from is the same one that leads to the broken bridge that you can leap across to get to the vendor with all the arrows and poo poo. Basically, if you're at that vendor, turn around and leap back across the gap. Take the immediate right and get to the main platform, then look for the break in the wall.

I hope these directions are easier to follow than I think they are. Because I can't really explain it any better, my brain is drawing a blank trying to picture the area after I did it last night. :( I only found it because of a note, dunno if you'll see one there though.

Also, the guys past the 20k sealed door are NPCs. They're part of the Forest Hunter Covenant and they will attack you unless you join the Covenant. There's videos posted occasionally in this thread on how to farm them very easily. If you don't want to cheese it, you're going to have to find a way to fight enemies you can't lock onto... good luck!

Blarfo fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 8, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Are you sure? They keep bowing after killing me
Weird...is it some covenant thing? Which one are you in?

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
I'm not in any right now...

Was one of the guys behind the glowing door invisible for you? I can hear him but I can't lock onto him, and he's a faint white outline right as he gets close enough to swing.

Numbers
Jul 13, 2000

Numbers posted:

I think my game might be broken. I went down the hollow tree after blighttown and there seems to be no way to get back up. I reach a place right after the curse frogs where the path meets a slightly higher path and I walk into a invisible wall or something. I can't roll onto it and I died trying to jump it so I have to go through the loving frogs again. Anyway, has anyone successfully climbed back up after hollowed tree. Am I just missing something? I didn't see any place to jump to either

Ok, figured it out. Geez, that was unintuitive.

Going to quote gamefaq incase someone else has the same problem.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/606312-dark-souls/60547569

Haha, yeah, it's one of those "I swear it's not artificial difficulty" moments. I know exactly where you are at. It looks like you should be able to run up the root in one area, but no matter what, it's like there is an invisible wall, despite you being able to run off it the other direction.

What you need to do is hug the left edge and jump. You'll ride along the outside of that invisible wall and find a landing. It actually looks like you land on air. It's confusing as all hell and to me, it seems like they just went for adding difficulty for the hell of it. I thought it was game over too. But, once you get past that spot, it's smooth sailing.

Good luck.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Onslaught posted:

I'm not in any right now...

Was one of the guys behind the glowing door invisible for you? I can hear him but I can't lock onto him, and he's a faint white outline right as he gets close enough to swing.
There should be a priest, a sorcerer, a guy with an axe, an invisible knight and an invisible thief. They are definitely normal, respawning enemies. There's a stupid easy way to farm them for insane souls too.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

:stare: Ok

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
There is Eastern armor in that forest too! The chest piece is loving righteous. Lion pauldron. I'm rocking that and elite knight gear for the rest. I look crazy cool.

Raibead
May 8, 2008
So I beat Capra Demon (super easy with the drop down attack by the way, dogs are the hardest drat part of the fight). Then I'm walking around the burg and the Red Drake lets out a scream, haven't heard it from that far away before, and I check my souls to find I'm 10k richer. I assume he's dead and head up there to check and sure enough... Is this supposed to happen? It opened up the back of parish and I've seen it mentioned a few times but mostly people calling it a "bug". So what's the deal?

Also, what have people been using after the drake sword? I'm getting tired of having it, though nothing else comes close to it thus far except the Black Knight sword with its massive 20/18 stat requirements which I'm not close to. Trying to go for a STR build if that makes a difference.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr. Onslaught posted:

:stare: Ok
This is the correct response to most of what is in Dark Souls.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

. No, not that far. You'll take a waterwheel looking thing up, then go across a log and drop onto a concrete water sluice thing, fight dogs and dart guys, then escape out a tunnel you probably haven't seen before. It's nowhere near as far as going all the way back out the way you came, but it's still brutal.

Well, here goes...

Also

Is it true higher Strength increases swing speed or is that also a myth like the dex roll?

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR
So, was I ridiculously lucky that the ghost sword dropped for me the first time through the ghost ruins? Or is it just really terrible? (I haven't tried it out yet)

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Revitalized posted:

Is it true higher Strength increases swing speed or is that also a myth like the dex roll?

I'm assuming that is a myth because I haven't seen any noticeable speed increase.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

So I found out that I really like the Butcher's Cleaver for it's changed-up strong attacks, as impractical as they may be (I love the bunny-hopping slice), but even upgraded it's just not matching up, strength-wise, to my other +10 weapons. I'm wanting to upgrade it further, but I can't decide if I should continue upgrading it normally to keep the B in strength scaling or turn it into a lighting weapon for the extra damage and stuntime. If it helps, I'm at a comfortable spot in all my other stats and plan on boosting strength as much as is feasible from here on out, with only maintenence in the others to keep them up to par.

Also, to the guy who asked, strength absolutely increases swing speed, it's the only way that the heavier weapons are feasible due to how slow they are to begin with. You generally have to be a good bit over the requirement to swing them at their maximum speed, though, and some weapons will always be pretty slow anyway. It helps, though.

Meep
Oct 7, 2000

Raibead posted:

So I beat Capra Demon (super easy with the drop down attack by the way, dogs are the hardest drat part of the fight). Then I'm walking around the burg and the Red Drake lets out a scream, haven't heard it from that far away before, and I check my souls to find I'm 10k richer. I assume he's dead and head up there to check and sure enough... Is this supposed to happen? It opened up the back of parish and I've seen it mentioned a few times but mostly people calling it a "bug". So what's the deal?

Yup, same thing happened to me as I was crossing the tarus demon area. Started hearing the dragon flap around but couldn't see him, then suddenly I'm 10k souls richer. The annoying thing was I was actually on my way over to snipe his tail, so much for getting the drake sword! Pretty sure that must be a bug, doesn't make any sense for it to be on purpose.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Cicadas! posted:

Also, to the guy who asked, strength absolutely increases swing speed, it's the only way that the heavier weapons are feasible due to how slow they are to begin with. You generally have to be a good bit over the requirement to swing them at their maximum speed, though, and some weapons will always be pretty slow anyway. It helps, though.

I guess I need to boost my strength a lot more then because all of my large swords are as slow as they ever were. Thanks for confirming that strength does affect swing speed though.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So the leeches in Blighttown don't drop green shards as often as they drop large shards, but when they do they drop 5 at once :stare:

After farming 8 large shards I had 20 green shards (and 25k souls).

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
My CE shipped today, which means I'll be lucky to see it next week. ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

The Moon Monster posted:

So the leeches in Blighttown don't drop green shards as often as they drop large shards, but when they do they drop 5 at once :stare:

After farming 8 large shards I had 20 green shards (and 25k souls).

Yeah, it's pretty awesome. Better than paying 4K souls each for them.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
Do crystal geckos respawn if you've killed them? I stumbled past Andre into the Darkroot Basin and found one, and got a twinkling titanite from it. As sad as it is I was actually hoping for basic titanite. :(

Are geckos here for the twinkling stuff only, or do they drop other materials?

e: Also, goddamn, I'm right at the church and I feel I really need to upgrade my poo poo but it's very trying when all the enemies around here only drop 20-100 souls. Maybe I should go, kill the tower dark knight, kill the dragon, and scrape up another 10k for that crest?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Anyone need to do Ornstein and Smough? I'm around to help. I'm on the Xbox360.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lagos posted:

There are several including one in the old church between the Undead Parish and the Garden and one very early on most people miss in New Londo, right underneath the Firelink Shrine. He also teaches basic sorceries.

this is from a few pages back but to clarify, do you need the master key to get to the second spoilered thing?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

doomfunk posted:

Do crystal geckos respawn if you've killed them? I stumbled past Andre into the Darkroot Basin and found one, and got a twinkling titanite from it. As sad as it is I was actually hoping for basic titanite. :(

Should I load up on humanity before killing the geckos? I assume high humanity is like dark world tendency, with drops...

Are there almost impossible-to-get drops, like pure bladestone was? and gecko-only drops, like pure ? darkmoonstone was?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

doomfunk posted:

No, once you kill them, that's it.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

evilalien posted:

I guess I need to boost my strength a lot more then because all of my large swords are as slow as they ever were. Thanks for confirming that strength does affect swing speed though.

The super huge swords like the ultra greatswords are pretty much always going to be relatively slow (as far as I know), but I have definitely noticed minor improvements as I continued to pump strength further. My Zweihander went from "I just swung this and now I am tired, please attack me," to "Still pretty slow, but you'd better watch out." You probably have to be incredibly strong to swing them at a respectable speed, due to how high the initial requirements are.

Raibead
May 8, 2008

Meep posted:

Yup, same thing happened to me as I was crossing the tarus demon area. Started hearing the dragon flap around but couldn't see him, then suddenly I'm 10k souls richer. The annoying thing was I was actually on my way over to snipe his tail, so much for getting the drake sword! Pretty sure that must be a bug, doesn't make any sense for it to be on purpose.

Kinda figured, seemed very strange for bug just. I already got the sword so I guess that kinda worked out nicely in a sense.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Cicadas! posted:

The super huge swords like the ultra greatswords are pretty much always going to be relatively slow (as far as I know), but I have definitely noticed minor improvements as I continued to pump strength further. My Zweihander went from "I just swung this and now I am tired, please attack me," to "Still pretty slow, but you'd better watch out." You probably have to be incredibly strong to swing them at a respectable speed, due to how high the initial requirements are.

holy moley that is news to me, awesome

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Haha the serpent guy after the two bells has a funny accent. Should I feed him stuff?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Ok, I can take those bullshit spear and shield zombies who move so. loving. slooooooow. and all the other bullshit this game throws at you but when you open that gate right after the armored boar section only to loving watch that little bitch zombie run and close it before you can do anything about it if you get killed again is too goddamn much.

Why even put it in the game? Is it specifically there to make you feel like you're making progress only for the game to throw a great big "yeah right rear end in a top hat, gently caress you" in your face?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

doomfunk posted:

e: Also, goddamn, I'm right at the church and I feel I really need to upgrade my poo poo but it's very trying when all the enemies around here only drop 20-100 souls. Maybe I should go, kill the tower dark knight, kill the dragon, and scrape up another 10k for that crest?

No they don't respawn after you kill them, but at least they respawn if you fail to kill them and they escape. There are a lot of sources of regular titanite later on so don't worry about it.

As for saving up that 20K, I highly recommend getting the Drake sword from the red wyvern's tail. That at least lets you kill enemies in the forest more comfortably which give more souls.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cicadas! posted:

Are the animations themselves changing, or just executing faster? Or are some of the recovery frames becoming cancel-able?

Also, does any level of str or dex cause the halberd not to have an extra "stutter" animation if it didn't hit anything?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Reminder to all Wanderers that you should totally upgrade your Endurance a bit early on when it's cheap so you can unequip your Wanderer's Hood and fastroll around. Downside: it means you can probably just barely wield a scimitar and shield. I've upgraded it enough that I can wield another light weapon, like a bow or shortsword depending on the situation.

Is the scimitar a bad weapon to level? The Winged Spear seems so nice but the scimitar attacks so fast it's real useful for interrupting small enemies. I have 18STR and DEX, so at this point I guess I could go either way, but my scimitar is now a scimitar+2.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

andrew smash posted:

this is from a few pages back but to clarify, do you need the master key to get to the second spoilered thing?

No, you can go down there right from the beginning, but the path is a bit hard to see.

I810BUX
Aug 10, 2007

Cheesu~~
So I got to the Taurus demon, he charged at me, I missed with a bomb, he charged again and then he fell off the tower and I got a bunch of souls. It was especially excellent considering how much I stocked myself up for that fight.

Is there a way to aim the crossbow or do I need to buy a bow if I want to kill the dragon? Also I just passed the huge iron warthog guy and got to the bonfire beyond with the blacksmith underneath... what is the correct way for me to go? I only ask because I went into the basement below the blacksmith for a few seconds and almost got totally fried by some crazy thing down there.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

doomfunk posted:

I think I got twinkling and a large shard from it. I'd be surprised if they did respawn since twinkling titanite seems to be the colorless demon soul equivalent. My guess is they're guaranteed to drop a twinkling and have a chance of dropping some others.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
The catacombs. Anybody else just been kicking the skeletons off of every part of the map?

I was walking down a hallway, past all these tombs, and then I see a big rear end dude camping. No idea how to kill it but I want what's behind.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

bewilderment posted:

Reminder to all Wanderers that you should totally upgrade your Endurance a bit early on when it's cheap so you can unequip your Wanderer's Hood and fastroll around. Downside: it means you can probably just barely wield a scimitar and shield. I've upgraded it enough that I can wield another light weapon, like a bow or shortsword depending on the situation.

Is the scimitar a bad weapon to level? The Winged Spear seems so nice but the scimitar attacks so fast it's real useful for interrupting small enemies. I have 18STR and DEX, so at this point I guess I could go either way, but my scimitar is now a scimitar+2.

The scimitar is worth upgrading because curved blades can be upgraded with a certain boss soul later. The weapon it makes is amazing.

edit: It's a lot later though, so don't upgrade it right away and expect to change it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Well Blighttown is off to a great start. I am so bad at backstabbing I can't kill these fat dudes!

• Locked thread