Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Do the geckos stay dead in this game like they did in 1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Can you not sell equipment at merchants?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
^^ Something opens up later on that will let you "sell" items for souls. It happens after you ring the two bells.

Paino posted:

Well I will obviously use the lightning resin now, but am I happy that the first real boss was so randomly difficult that I had to look for help in a forum? No. If that's how the rest of Dark Soul's gonna be, fine, but gently caress From's artistic vision/full immersion poo poo. If boss design is so extreme to become unfair then DS will only be enojoyable via gamefaqs or co-op.
Don't worry a couple of the bosses are super easy and make me wonder why they are in the game in the first place.

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Has anyone gotten the dragonslayer spear yet? My guide has it's scaling to C with str and B with dex, but I read on another forum that it scales to faith. I'm also interested in how powerful the lightning bolt cast is. Anyone know?

Cakeequals
Jun 15, 2011

I'm going to make sweet love to him! FROM THE BACK!!
RRRRRRRRR

Almost Smart posted:

1. Where can I find/buy large titanite shards? It sounds like I need a bunch and I've randomly come across a grand total of two of them in 15 hours of game time.

I was about to come on and ask this same question, I want some so that I can make some fancy soul weapons. I already resorted to breaking all my Titanite Chunks, but that was only enough to get my scimitar up to +9. I just need 3 more to see what all the fuss is about the Quelaag sword.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Volitaire posted:

Dude watch that video, its not any speedrun poo poo. The guy isn't even that good. Quite honestly if you can't solo the gargoyles (one of which starts at half HP) then you simply need to get better.

Went back with my original setup (which was actually also a halberd) + resin. It was easy. I'm sure it's doable without consumables or the drake sword, but it's not easy.

I still hate the setup, it better this time around, but not by much.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

gently caress gently caress gently caress Tomb of Giants and From Software for making it. I am about to ragequit because it's so loving lovely.

...and I had thought the Catacombs were bad. At least that gets easy after killing the loving necromancers.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Paino posted:

Yeah I watched that video, the guy is naked but uses a enchanted halberd that deals loving 147 dmg per hit, while my spear+2 is like 30dps. So yeah you're kind of right that the guy isn't a big deal, but his weapon certainly is.

Sure I'll farm poo poo and get buff and at some point I'll kill them but meh.

He's using an item buff that's found in the level before the boss. The halberd is found in the level too. You'll notice that once the gold pine resin wore off he was hitting for around 50 damage, and the halberd attacks a lot slower than a spear. I just feel like you're using your personal experience to make sweeping statements about the game that aren't true. No bosses are impossible without co-oping and as far as the game being unfair, well you knew what you signed up for.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Stele007 posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress Tomb of Giants and From Software for making it. I am about to ragequit because it's so loving lovely.

...and I had thought the Catacombs were bad. At least that gets easy after killing the loving necromancers.

I don't know why they thought A completely pitch black area suspended over a deadly fall with huge loving enemies attacking you was a perfectly fair situation to overcome I'm at a complete loss as to how I could get past that section

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
Oh man, is this game really impossible later on without co-op? I don't have XBL Gold. I'm loving this so far but I friggin' suck. I've lost about 3000 souls so far I'm only past Taurus Demon.

A few questions:

1) Will dropped items stay where they are indefinitely?
2) I think I can pass the dragon on the bridge by keeping my shield up (dropped my guard last time) but is that the right way to do it? Seems a bit cheap.
3) Do weapons and armor get less effective as they wear, or do they just break at 0?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Loving the game so far.
Just got to the dragon on the bridge.
Found the straight sword and fire resist shield by accident when I went down the elevator and randomly went into Valley of the Drakes - made things a lot easier :D

Couple of questions about the Covenants. I joined with the guy that you meet at the firelink shrine that teaches you new miricles.
When I spoke to him he offered to tell me something if I paid him some souls, but at the time I had none. Since then I have not had this option - have a screwed myself out of someting important?
Also have I made a bad choice by joining this one right way? To be honest I didn't really know what it was I was commiting to, I though it was just a quest, but it seems the covenants are quite a big deal and you can only have one.
If I am stuck with these dudes, what should I be doing for them?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Do the geckos stay dead in this game like they did in 1?
Yes.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Pretty sure I'm, accidentally, slowly rebuilding my character from Demon's Souls. By the end, I think I was using black leather armor, the meat clever, and adjudicator's shield. Right now my character has black leather armor, the server sword, and a shield that regenerates stamina. Is there a shield that regenerates health, and if so where can I get it?

Morbleu
Jun 13, 2006
Additional to my question about how to make the dragonslayer spear and how it scales...Is there any benefit to making my shield magic at a blacksmith?

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

The pitch black part isn't so bad, it's really just fighting all the giants and towers of bones. I'm not going to have any fire spells left for the boss. I hope there's more than one bonfire in the zone. I'm literally only here to learn Kneel from Patches (to join the Darkmoon Covenant), which apparently he won't teach me until I beat the boss.

Aralan posted:

Pretty sure I'm, accidentally, slowly rebuilding my character from Demon's Souls. By the end, I think I was using black leather armor, the meat clever, and adjudicator's shield. Right now my character has black leather armor, the server sword, and a shield that regenerates stamina. Is there a shield that regenerates health, and if so where can I get it?

I haven't seen any "regen over time" items, and I think it's fair to assume that From took them out so people wouldn't get up and walk around for 20 minutes while they regen back up.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
So the wolf boss is a actually a fight against the game's horrendous camera system and not the actual monster itself right? Let's have it jump in and out of the lock-in system so the camera is constantly flailing and the player is completely disoriented!

This game has 2 glaring flaws so far. The first and foremost being that sometimes when you press the flask button the actual drinking of the flask is delayed anywhere between 2-5 seconds, which is unacceptable in a game where 1 hit can end you. The other is the camera, which is unchanged from Demon Souls and still is extremely awkward in terms of following any locked on highly agile monster

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DiscoMouse posted:

Oh man, is this game really impossible later on without co-op? I don't have XBL Gold. I'm loving this so far but I friggin' suck. I've lost about 3000 souls so far I'm only past Taurus Demon.

A few questions:

2) I think I can pass the dragon on the bridge by keeping my shield up (dropped my guard last time) but is that the right way to do it? Seems a bit cheap.
3) Do weapons and armor get less effective as they wear, or do they just break at 0?

1)No
2)Not unless you have a black knight shield and really high endurance. Keeping your shield up will help though. Walk a ways up the bridge, then sprint when you're close to the midpoint
3)They just break at 0

Also, losing 3000 souls is nothing, don't worry about it.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

DiscoMouse posted:

I've made it by just taking the hits and chugging health and by mad dashing through the skeletons to that alcove in the side. I'm sure there are more elegant ways, but those both work with a little luck.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Megasabin posted:

This game has 2 glaring flaws so far. The first and foremost being that sometimes when you press the flask button the actual drinking of the flask is delayed anywhere between 2-5 seconds, which is unacceptable in a game where 1 can end you. The other is the camera, which is unchanged from Demon Souls and still is extremely awkward in terms of following any locked on highly agile monster

Actually they managed to gently caress up the targeting system even more. In Demon's Souls it was easy to switch targets, which is now only possible when drinking the blood of a virgin during a blue moon.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I rescued this sorcery guy and he called me too stupid to learn sorcery. I raised my intelligence but he won't re-evaluate me. Am I hosed? did I not raise it enough? I just want to cast light

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

DiscoMouse posted:

A few questions:

No the game is not impossible without co-op.

1. Yes until you see a loading screen or use a bonfire, then they will disappear.
2. I could never get that to work, but go ahead and try. I found it easier to lure him down with an arrow then run past. You have to be able to take at least one fire breath attack though.
3. They just break at 0 and have to be repaired.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
The Gaping Dragon one-shotted me with his stupid dash attack. On my way back to him I fell down a hole in the floor and got gang-raped by curse toads. Lost 6000+ souls and now I am cursed. Where can I find a purging stone?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Stele007 posted:

Actually they managed to gently caress up the targeting system even more. In Demon's Souls it was easy to switch targets, which is now only possible when drinking the blood of a virgin during a blue moon.

Try flicking the right stick quickly to switch targets. If you do it slowly it never works but if you flick it, it works much better.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005

J posted:

Try flicking the right stick quickly to switch targets. If you do it slowly it never works but if you flick it, it works much better.

Yeah, if you hold the stick on the direction of the enemy you want to target, it won't work. Flicking is the way to do it.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

RentCavalier posted:

The Gaping Dragon one-shotted me with his stupid dash attack. On my way back to him I fell down a hole in the floor and got gang-raped by curse toads. Lost 6000+ souls and now I am cursed. Where can I find a purging stone?

There is a merchant in the aqueduct that links the depths to Firelink who sells them.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Okay I am in the unending mosquito hell that is blighttown and I've been wondering whatt the gently caress my objective is here. So far I managed to find a giant spider chick boss but I haven't been able to kill her yet. Is she weak to anything in particular or do I just suck?

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

I'll try that, J. Thanks.

RentCavalier posted:

If you travel back to your starting area, you can trade one of your cracked red eyes for two purging stones.

Also, for that boss I recommend standing to the side and waiting for him to dash forward, then attack his tail.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

Okay I am in the unending mosquito hell that is blighttown and I've been wondering whatt the gently caress my objective is here. So far I managed to find a giant spider chick boss but I haven't been able to kill her yet. Is she weak to anything in particular or do I just suck?

I killed her at range with magic. She IS your objective. I don't really recommend melee. Try summoning some people to help. If nothing else, you can summon the darkwraith that you kill right outside the bonfire, and despite being naked she's a good tank.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

it's weak to summoning two phantoms and tag teaming it. also: it's a fantastic place to farm souls. Slap down your sign and kill it a dozen times.

Valkrye
Aug 11, 2008

Cakeequals posted:

I was about to come on and ask this same question, I want some so that I can make some fancy soul weapons. I already resorted to breaking all my Titanite Chunks, but that was only enough to get my scimitar up to +9. I just need 3 more to see what all the fuss is about the Quelaag sword.

I just farmed up ten large shards (need 9 to go from +5 to +10) by killing the slimes in the depths that are just outside the bonfire over and over.
Took me around 45 minutes and really helps if you have the ring that increases drop chance.

Where can you break down shards btw?

Also how do you get the true version of the sword made with The souls of Sif the wolf? I've made my straight sword hilt+10 but I can only make it into what I assume is the regular version, does the proper one have the word true before it's name?

DiscoMouse
May 16, 2005

by XyloJW
I made it! :black101: Used up all my estus though. Majorly exhilarating. I noticed the Xbox's framerate really takes a poo poo at some parts of this game, it couldn't keep up with those flames at all.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The key is to stay on her sides, as close as possible. From there her fire spewing attacks shouldn't hit you, you should be able to block her sword attacks with your shield, leaving only her AoE attack to worry about. When you see her slump over GTFO. If you are patient you shouldn't have too much trouble. Equip whichever shield/armor have the most fire resists to mitigate as much damage as possible. Also there are usually plenty of summon signs near the bonfire on the floor of the swamp so you can always go human and get some help.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Stele007 posted:

Don't be melodramatic. It's been regurgitated to death that you need to flick the stick in a direction order to change lock-on targets. The lock-on is still a bit hosed anyway, but it's not hard to change targets.

Does anyone have any tips on what weapons are good to turn into Fire/Lightning weapons? I have a Pike for Lightning and an Uchigatana for Fire since they have pretty good attack power and speed (and range for the Pike), but I'm wondering if any of you guys have found any weapons that would work better?

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

DiscoMouse posted:

I maxed my char in DS1 and while the game is definitely playable so far (just one boss ahead of you) I don't know about later. Most reviews said as much already. IGN pointed out that this is actually a flaw, that the game is 4 times more difficult played alone, and that the first half has some borderline impossible boss fights (unless you power-play the game I suppose, which I'm not interested in).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

From Blighttown am I supposed to go the Demon Ruins or backtrack to the gate that opened when I Rang the second bell?

Slacker Ace
Oct 30, 2010
Playing this with the same tanky build I used in Demon's Souls: Knight Armor, 1h sword and shield, no magic, high hp/end and medium str.

Finally beat the BT Gargoyles, glad I got that out of the way as the hardest boss in DS with this build was Maneater (basically an exercise in stamina management).

That said, I'm still rocking the Longsword and doing 20 damage per hit and haven't found anything better so it's surprising that people are talking about using unique/rare weapons against them (thought this was the first boss?). Tried going to other areas but the enemies scared me off :(

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Stele007 posted:

I killed her at range with magic. She IS your objective. I don't really recommend melee. Try summoning some people to help. If nothing else, you can summon the darkwraith that you kill right outside the bonfire, and despite being naked she's a good tank.

Oh she's an NPC? I got a message I had been invaded right after I reversed my hollowing and thought she was a Player. But, her summon sign was white. Huh.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Stele007 posted:

I'll try that, J. Thanks.

If you travel back to your starting area, you can trade one of your cracked red eyes for two purging stones.

Also, for that boss I recommend standing to the side and waiting for him to dash forward, then attack his tail.

How do I get back? The bird doesn't interact with me. I have rung the first bell.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Bland posted:

I don't know why they thought A completely pitch black area suspended over a deadly fall with huge loving enemies attacking you was a perfectly fair situation to overcome I'm at a complete loss as to how I could get past that section

Did you find the lantern? Not that you can use it while you're fighting those goddamn creatures towards the end (you know what they are if you've been there :gonk:)

The area is a pain until you get to the bonfire but then it's definitely one of the creepiest loving sections I've ever played through in a game. I slid down a sarcophagus and something starts shooting at me. I turned to block the shots and stood there for a second, turning my camera around to figure out where I was and there are two big white eyes like 6 feet behind me OH gently caress

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I made it out of Anor Londo and now I'm trying to clear the Catacombs - clearly not the best place to farm. Is there any downside to killing Patches there?

Also, how the hell am I so terrible at PVP? People riposte every attack I do and have like a billion HP, it's insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Very early in the game, totally noob player, and I'm really not getting how I'm supposed to be playing this. I'm past the prologue area and at the second bonfire in the Undead Burg, up the stairs right after the initial bonfire.

There are bunch of guys raining fire on my head, so I can't ever fight out in the open. I don't have any ranged attacks, so I can't pick them off. Many of the areas have 3-4 guys waiting to attack me, which means I always get hit in the back a couple times as I flail around swinging my sword (I'm the Knight class).

On the rare chance that I make up through the castle a bit, I encounter a polearm/shield guy who totally kicks my rear end. I've read that kicking him is a good strategy, but I'm still pretty inconsistent in even being able to kick when I want to, and when I did manage to kick him he didn't seem to mind it at all.

Should I just grind levels from respawning easy guys around the bonfire? Practice riposting more (which I'm terrible at, not having learned the timing of all the enemy attacks)? Is this actually an area I should be working on making my way through, or is there a better place for me to go?

• Locked thread