Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

No luck in south-east PA either. This is lame. I've got a preorder waiting for me on Tuesday but I want to get killed over the weekend, not after work!

As for upping stats, does leveling up say, Endurance, make every other stat cost more souls to increase or would it only increase the cost for the next level of Endurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Anyone on the xbox 360 version able to give me a hand with the capra demon? I have a summon sign up right outside of his room.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Is there an easy way from the bonfire in the Depths back to the Firelink shrine? I'm cursed and tethered here. Attempts at escape to become uncursed are going poorly.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

What's the best way to get rid of curse if I'm stuck at the bonfire in the Depths?

I'm not sure what the easiest way out is, and the gaping dragon boss keeps one-shotting me after I do pretty well whittling him down.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Well Blighttown is off to a great start. I am so bad at backstabbing I can't kill these fat dudes!

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

So loving frustrated. I can't get out of the Depths to get uncursed, I just lost 30k souls trying to do so. I can either go further on into Blighttown and get killed by fat guys or get mauled by butchers while trying to escape.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Is there any way from stopping the big enemies in the forest from spellcasting? The titan dudes slow me down and take away my one major advantage over them and it just makes the process of murdering them so much more tedious

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Any tips for getting off backstabs? Even when the enemy hasn't noticed me it seems like I just can't get the positioning right.

Also, will installing the game on my HDD make Blighttown run any better? Jesus christ how did this slow down get past playtesting.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I've been using Drake Sword and it works occasionally. Bandit's Knife seems to get them off easily, but the normal damage is so piddling. Feh, I guess I could set it as an alternate weapon.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Aggh. Can't get to Queelag without getting poisoned. Any suggestions for routes from the bonfire?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Quelagg bullshit How do I know when she's going to use her giant gently caress off, AoE fire explosion? I'm happily cutting up her rear, and then bam, dead. There's a roar but it doesn't seem like it gives enough response time.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Nechronic posted:

When she slumps over she's going to do the fire explosion. I suggest only attacking only when she's just finished a swing, or when she's doing the large lava spit. Otherwise keep your shield up.

If you use pyromancy, you might want to pack Flash Sweat for that fight.

Got it, thanks! Now to figure out how to get back to the surface.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I guess it's obvious that after the second bell I should head to Sen's Fortress, but these snake warriors are murdering me. Should I explore the Londo Ruins or the Forest or even the Asylum first? This just isn't going well.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

^^^ I now know what I must do! :black101:

Ankle-biter posted:

Depends on your level. If you are under 40, I'd say go grind.

I'm at 31 one right now, any recommendations?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

When can I put elemental enchants on my weapons? I've rung both bells and I want to put some craziness on my starting dagger.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

What's the best way to get Large Titanite shards? I want to up some weapons to +10. Can any of the colored or twinking shards/chunks bed transformed via Frampt into Large Shards?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

So came back to Undead Asylum and I can't get off a plunging attack on the boss. I end up landing on the ground instead of the boss and end up taking absurd fall damage. Any tips for positioning at the start of the fight?

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

As far as I know there is no way to do a plunging attack on the boss. I've been experimenting like crazy but the floor will only collapse such that you fall down with it, and nowhere near directly above the boss.

That fight is optional and is stacked against you in every way possible.

Woo! Did it at 1HP left and no flasks. Amazing experience.

The escape, not so much.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

mikeraskol posted:

Can someone explain how I get a Falchion +5 to a Falchion +10 because I can't loving figure it out.

The first blacksmith needs some special ember, and you have to use different Titanite depending on the item. It's under Modify equipment as opposed to Reinforce.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Are any of the wikis any good? I feel like both of the ones I've looked at are really poorly maintained(and the one has an obnoxious chat feature). It'd probably slow the thread to a manageable speed if the only source of information weren't various message boards.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Finally discovered the area above the Hydra once you kill it... HOLY poo poo. This is nuts. I am pretty far in but never did this area. Finished Anor Londo, have some decent gear and one shot everything in the old world and can handle anything else with ease (except Catacombs, Demons Lair and now this).

The 3 cats were a pain in the rear end and killed my framerate when two of them charged me but they are dead. I decided to skip the boss and went the other way. The mushroom men are cool, they don't attack. Than I encounter real people... WOW, great AI but it's tough as poo poo. I get double teamed out my rear end, two or three of these guys are invisible and it's tough keeping the shield up with that. I can see why people like it for grinding but man, I need better weapons.

People aren't really grinding them by killing them, they're opening the sealed door with 20,000 souls, standing on the ledge next to the stairway leading to said door and counting up those souls as the AI just jumps to its death. Then resting at the bonfire to reset.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

areyoucontagious posted:

How in the hell do I backstab effectively? I rolled up a thief, and while I'm enjoying the agility considerably more than the knight, I only seem to perform a backstab accidentally. Is there a button I'm supposed to press once I'm behind them, or do I have to be EXACTLY in the right spot behind them for it to work?

I asked the same question earlier, but it seems heavily dependent on weapon and enemy type. The Bandit's Dagger you start with has a pretty decent tolerance for positioning, whereas a longsword needs a lot of precision.

That dagger is loving amazing once you stop fighting skeletons and hollows and fight poo poo that bleeds.

vvvv If you can find a Hero's Soul and a few other consumable ones you'll get it in no time! It pays itself off pretty quickly with a bit of focus and playing it safe.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Im_Special posted:

Okay so I'm wondering this regarding element properties on weapons, in my case Astora's Longsword which is 80/80/0/0 base damage, it's also has holy properties. Are there any enemies in which they are resistant to the magic or holy portion of the damage? Like I won't just meet with some boss/tough sob and only just scratch the guy with half damage or something because he's holy propertied him self right, I heard things like enemies being weak against fire or lightning but never them being strong against, so are there any cases like this.

Oh one other thing, how do things scale in NG+'s, does everything scale up by a flat % or is it like in Demon's Souls there it was based on your level before starting anew. And does it cap out eventually?

I know the lightning drakes in the Valley of Drakes or whatever seem resistant to lightning. Drake Sword, ironically, was hitting them for a lot more than my lightning spear.

As for NG+, the guide says it's a percentage based on the enemy's strength and rarity in the original game. Weak Hollows and other common enemies get large % bumps to health and damage and so on, while stronger, rarer enemies don't get as much of a % increase. It increases every NG+ you do but eventually caps out.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Sumixam posted:

Can I jump off the church roof while fighting the Gargoyles to collect my souls on the ground when I respawn so I can use them?

Pretty sure it's a guaranteed death. The gargoyle knocked me off on my second attempt.

^^^ Edit: That too. When you die, your bloodstain lands 10 seconds before your death.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Any recommendations for specific enemy in Anor Place the loving bat men with the spears that go through shield! Agh. There's one pull where you're stuck in a room with two if you can't get them one at a time. Normally I can, but I can't kill them quickly enough and there's too little space to sufficiently dodge their attacks. Battle of attrition very much stacked against me.

Shalinor posted:

When trading with the raven, can you do each trade once period, or is it once per game run? I've seen unclear information either way.

(ie. can you do a trade, quit the game, come back later, trade again - or is it one trade per item, period, for that entire playthrough)

Seems like once ever per item.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Spite posted:

There's no place where you have to fight two at once. You can always somehow attract one and kill it.
If you mean the tower area after the group of 3, keep in mind they can't enter the walkway. So if you aggro the two and run backwards, only one will be able to hit you and the other will probably fall off. Watch out for their ranged attack though.

Did it. God drat ballistas! Man. I even knew it was coming.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Speaking of bows.. In Anor the loving ballistas keep killing me. I get to the walkway where I can take a left to try and kill the one guy, and the guy on the right catches me in the back, which knocks me over, and I get up just as another arrow kills me. Is there some trick I'm missing?

Vvvvvv gently caress I got trolled hard then. Nice sign in the walk way that just said "left".

jerry seinfel fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 12, 2011

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I've been trying to get help for S&O and all of my summons are failing. This has never happened before and it's getting really frustrating.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Schlegel Mach posted:

You should be able to summon Solaire, and he should really be all the help you need.

Also yeah, the multiplayer randomly decides to gently caress you. I've had times where I had barely three minutes inbetween summons/summoning, and then hours later every summon was failed and nothing on my end could fix it. Thank goodness for NPC summons, I guess.

Where's his summon sign? I spoke to him and he just told me how great I am but I didn't see a sign for him anywhere.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Anyone on xbox at O&S around SL 42? I've got a hollow sign up since I need humanity. I can wreck the fat man.

Edit: gently caress being a phantom jeez people. Do hosts not know that phantoms can't use Estus flasks?

jerry seinfel fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 13, 2011

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Can people who summon you see orange soapstone messages? I keep getting summoned by the same guy who doesn't seem to know he has to keep me healed or that we could easily kill fatass first

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

RotationSurgeon posted:

I'm definitely not in a hurry but even though I can take the bushmen in the forest pretty easily the giant stone dudes are pretty much just tanking my attacks and then curbstomping me. I was lucky enough to kill the one on the way to the staircase up to moonlight butterfly, and that was probably only because I had another person helping me who died during the fight. I feel like I can almost take the forest, but I want to know what a good alternative to the sewers is because every time I have gone down there so far I have gotten doubleteamed by a black phantom and the chameleon monsters. Alone the chameleons aren't that big a deal but it really feels like I'm getting hunted down there.

Forest isn't bad, especially if you can take down the Hydra boss. I honestly had no idea the path was there until I took a back route in and got lost and wound up at the entrance from the blacksmith.

You could try revisiting the Undead Asylum, but be weary of the boss. He's a bit of a bastard until you get his pattern down.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Palleon posted:

Well this game has hosed me over in a way that I have no idea how I'm supposed to recover from. I was in the depths, and got cursed by some toad thing, and died. Now I have 50% of my max HP, at a bonfire way the hell away from anywhere else, and I am having a lot of trouble getting back out of the depths, let along all the way through lower undeadburg. Is there any nearby way to cure this curse, or do I just have to try over and over again to fight my way back upstairs when any enemy can 2-3 hit kill me and there's always 3-4 in any given area?

I had the same problem and I ended up having to fight my way out. Really frustrating, but if you take your time you can leave the bonfire, take the door on the right, and make your way away from proceeding further into the depths(I forget if it's the staircase or the ladder, whichever takes you away from the dragon) and back towards where the butchers were. If you can bait their downward chop you can get in a bunch of sucker hits on each when it's alone, and playing cautiously with your shield can help you weather the bullshit from the other enemies. It's frustrating, but you can do do it! Make it back to the merchant in the tunnel to the Burg and you're set.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

victrix posted:

I... I went over there and didn't spot him, then never went back :eng99: Thanks!

Bonus question, Sen's Fortress

Part way through the keep, there's a lizard dude who seems p. cool, he just sits there and chills by his wall. What's the deal? Some quest you have to be involved in to get him to speak?

You turn the boulder machine to hit him so you can free Big Hat Logan. The wall behind him can break but it has to be done by either the previously mentioned boulders, or sometimes the lizard himself will do a special swing while trying to kill you and break the wall

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Hexempaler posted:

drat, O+S was the best boss I've fought yet. What a tense battle. I killed Ornstein first and had a huge "oh poo poo" moment when I realized I'd have to deal with Lightning Smourgh.

That was the best moment of the entire game for me. and then I foolishly thought "I bet if I kill fatty first, then star fox can't power up!" how very wrong I was.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Please tell me these lightning spear demons who have spears twice the range of my dodges and weapons aren't that common in Anor Londo. They're such a pain in the rear end to fight.

Oh those guys are awful. But you can lure them to the walk way that they can't get on. And they usually just drop off themselves. Do you have the Eagle Shield? Use the eagle shield. With it, only one or two of their attacks go through block.

Edited since I thought you meant the big guys at first.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

No, just the Dragon Crest. I'm running past, but these snipers are a pain. Actually no, being 3-4 minutes away from the snipers every time I'm juggled off a cliff is a pain.

Snipers are awful. I basically got impatient and just went nuts on the lightning demons with a spear so I could just weather them ASAP, and then rushed the sniper to the right. Don't lock on to him since it kind of puts you at an angle which makes it easy to get knocked off, and from there it's a matter of trying to keep your back to the wall and praying. Mostly prayer.

Provided you can make it past there, there's a bonfire not too far away!

Edit: vvvv YEAH. Well more you just stand there and he thwacks your shield and probably dies or you just pull out your sword and hit him once or twice. Once you close range the guy on the right will go melee. Just be careful there's another sniper later(near the boss when you're no longer worried about falling). Just when you think you're safe...

jerry seinfel fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 15, 2011

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Do you have really high poise armor? Or anything really fast? Speed is your best chance!

vvvvv It's all timing, I think. I spent a while trying it and then finally got it once a few days later. It's some minor reward that didn't seem worth the effort.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Hm. Best bet might be something faster and just try to book it, then. I did it in the ringwraith(gold-hemmed whatever) and ran as fast as I could with my shield up.

If it's still giving you trouble tomorrow and you're on 360 and within the miniscule SL range and have humanity and we're in the same lobby you should be able to summon me. I can be your pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Ixjuvin posted:

I remember feeling like this, once. Then I reached Anor Londo. Then I reached Lost Izalith. Then I reached the Tomb of the Giants.

It's really incredible how the game just never stops getting worse

But it makes you appreciate the levels so much more. Having never played DeS, even the tutorial had me thinking one of the sword+shield hollows must have been a special enemy. Or that pulls with more than one enemy were somehow impossible to game.

edit: RBA Starblade, did you get through the gauntlet? Go go go! watch for the knights!

• Locked thread