Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Ample posted:

Their Whiskey section is particularly impressive and thorough.

No Laphroaig? For shame :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Laphroaig 18 is easily my favorite scotch (even over Laphroaig 25, which is a bit mouth-coatingly heavy for my taste), and in PA it's an absolute steal at $65. Say what you will about our prohibition-era liquor laws, the stuff we *can* get is really well-priced.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Haverchuck posted:

Jesus Christ that's a good price for that, it's like three times that where I am. I had the opportunity to meet their master distiller John Campbell at a tasting event a couple of weeks ago. He was a cool guy but Beam Global had been carting him from event to event all day long and he looked as if he would rather have been napping in a hotel room.

Yeah. The thing about PA's pricing is that it's a flat markup based on the volume of the bottle, plus an 18% tax (I think); so there's literally no such thing as three-buck chuck, but the top-shelf stuff is way cheaper than you can get it in other states.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Ample posted:

After 25 years you're entering a real collectible / status symbol echelon for Scotch. $300.00 is the bare minimum in that range and your selection is going to be relatively limited. People who buy these Scotches are either truly passionate about a brand, a Scotch collector, or someone looking to showcase their success or celebrate a milestone. You should never really shop for Scotch based on only price and age alone though unless you only care about showcasing the age. If you go that route choose a brand people know. But both age and cost alone are poor indicators of quality.

A 30 year old Scotch is a luxury item and sizable investment. I mean you could by a a collection of Scotches from each region for the price of some of them. I would recommend buying something you really like. Its a horrible feeling to spend a lot of money on something you end up hating. A lot of the whiskey events showcase older expressions from 25 years and up. I recommend attending one where you could sample and speak directly to the brand ambassadors. You could even ask where to buy the whiskey of your choice.

I apologize for the car analogy but you wouldn't walk into a car dealership and say, I want a car for {X} amount made on {X} year. You could walk away with anything, all the way from a minivan to convertible. Additionally you wouldn't buy a car without at least driving it once. I'm a pretty big fan of Talisker though and I've never had the 30 year old. So if you buy one get that and then tell me about it.

^^ this. I had the same goal, but I was already into scotch and I knew I wanted Laphroaig, so Laphroaig 25 was the obvious choice. If you're not already a scotch drinker, I can't say I would recommend jumping straight to 30yo expressions -- you could very easily end up with something you'll hate.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
You could always hop across the border into PA. The stores here are state-run, but if you can find a "premium collection" store you'll find a decent (but not great) selection of bourbons and other whiskies.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

TenaciousTomato posted:

Bought my first good bourbon. Buffalo Trace. :stare::respek::stare:

Buffalo Trace is a great value. It was my first good bourbon as well. You should try Bulleit next.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Does enjoying Old Fashioneds made with a proper (Luxardo) maraschino cherry make me a bad persion? :ohdear:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

GramCracker posted:

example: A Vodka Old Fashioned

ugh what is the point of that :psyduck:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

GramCracker posted:

I honestly don't know, and I never ever want to find out.

Please tell me this is something you made up to be facetious, and not something you saw at an actual bar. Please, please, please

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

wormil posted:

Supposedly it meets the requirements of bourbon but it doesn't stand up if compared that way.

Pretty sure they can't call it bourbon if it's not made in Kentucky.

e: but can they call it Tennessee whiskey if it's not made in Tennessee? :raise:

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jul 29, 2012

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Midorka posted:

What are some great bourbons under $20?

Old Grand Dad Bonded is literally the best budget bourbon you'll find. Buffalo Trace may also be at/under $20 depending on your location.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Midorka posted:

Buffalo Trace is $25 here, my favorite bargain bourbon. I'll try Old Grandad, I've heard good things.

Make sure you get the Bonded version, with the orange cap. The regular stuff is apparently not as good.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

wormil posted:

The bonded is the 4yr, 100 proof. The black cap is the 4yr, 86 proof. (Age is an estimate) OGD100 is full of fire and testosterone but at $18+/bottle I think it's overpriced.

Ah, wasn't aware the non-bonded was basically the same stuff, just lower proof. I generally use it in old fashioneds, so the higher proof helps the drink stand up to the ice (in my opinion).

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
I've had it. I prefer Laphroaig 18; the triplewood is just too... woody :v: and it detracts from all the things I like about Laphroaig to begin with. If you're a fan of Laphroaig, though, it's probably worth a taste.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Glottis posted:

I got a bottle of Laphroaig 10 about a year ago and I'm about to finish it. I hated peaty scotches when I got it and now I see the appeal. What's another scotch that is also on the peatier side that is around the same price range and quality that I can replace it with?

Ardbeg or Talisker. Highly recommend trying Laphroaig 18 if you can afford it.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Shugojin posted:

Speaking of whisky boom, Lagavulin 16 is up to nearly $90 in PA state stores :(

I got a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year today. $60.

Fuckin PLCB

On the plus side, Laphroiag 18 is only... gently caress WHEN DID THEY HIKE THE PRICE TO 75 :argh:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

door Door door posted:

That's actually significantly cheaper than I've seen it anywhere else. ex. http://www.binnys.com/spirits/Laphroaig_18_Year_Old_163208.html; http://www.bevmo.com/Shop/ProductDetail.aspx/Spirits/Scotch/Laphroaig/Laphroaig-18-Yr-Scotch/33062. Every time I'm in a liquor store I think about the savings, but it's just too expensive for me to justify right now.

Yeah, I'm aware. It used to be $60 though.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

door Door door posted:

:negative: What did 10 year cost back then?

It's barely even history -- I only moved here 3 years ago. Looks like 18 was $60, and 10 was $45!

https://web.archive.org/web/20101025153110/http://www.lcbapps.lcb.state.pa.us/webapp/product_management/Files/productCatalog.PDF

My understanding is that PA has a fixed handling fee per bottle + a flat percentage markup, so I think it's probably the wholesaler who's raising the price.

Edit: the nice thing about this system is that the high end stuff is way cheaper than other states; I got a bottle of Laphroaig 25 for like $225, which is absurdly cheap when you compare it to online prices. The downside is that you can't really get cheap wine; the cheapest bottles are $7-8.

Mr. Glass fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 26, 2013

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

Not sure if this applies to all Costcos but it looks like they're selling scotch at great prices again; I picked up a couple bottles of Lagavulin 16 at $55 and also saw Oban & Glenlivet 18 also for ~$50. Talisker Storm was going for $65 iirc and they also had the Kirkland Speyside 18 for $50.

It certainly doesn't apply to the Costcos in PA :smith:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

spoon0042 posted:

Checked the first and last few pages of the thread and didn't see anything, so... any thoughts on Laphroaig Triplewood? Both it and the 10 year are on sale this month in PA and I'm wondering if it's worth the extra ~$15.

It's fine. I don't know that I'd get it over the regular 10 year though. My favorite Laphroaig is the 18 year, which is still reasonably priced in PA (although it has gone up a bit).

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

A review of the Laphroaig Triplewood went up on scotch noob. Review Here: http://scotchnoob.com/2014/08/25/laphroaig-triple-wood/

yeah this basically sums up my feelings about it. doesn't hit the notes i want a Laphroaig to hit, but if you're really into the flavor profile i say go for it

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

ChickenArise posted:

Hmmm Ardbeg Perpetuum. I very much want to try this. http://www.whiskysaga.com/ardbeg-perpetuum-distillery-release/

just in time for my trip to islay :getin:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Armed Neutrality posted:

I can't get enough of Laphroaig QC. I'm fortunate in that I enjoy both peaty and sherries whisky, but both of them together, drat.

It's been ridiculously hot here so I started making some cocktails with some cheaper bourbon that I won't drink neat. Whisky Sour and a Bourbon Sidecar were great, anything else I should try?

one of my go-to summer drinks is the Whiskey Smash. quarter half a lemon, muddle with mint and some sugar (or simple syrup), add 2 oz of bourbon, shake.

if your yard is like mine, it's also good for keeping the mint from overtaking the flowerbed.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Think I'm gonna make a whiskey sour tonight with this aberlour a'bundah. You guys think I should dilute it considering it's cask strength?

this is a joke right

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Sludge_McBain posted:

It was very good. There were a group of 6 or 7 indian (from the sub continent) people that were asking very specific questions about how the whisky was made. They were asking about amounts, percentages and pretty much every detail of the whole process. The guide was able to answer everything they threw at her.

I get the feeling there is going to be an Indian whisky distillery opened up in the next few years.

there actually already is: http://www.amrutwhisky.co.uk/

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

door Door door posted:

What is the name for this style of glass?

I see them pretty often on bourbon blogs, and I'd like to pick up a couple. I already have some glencairns, but more glassware options is always better.

typically you'd call that a snifter

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
personally i would go for the second one, but that's just because i've been to Dalwhinnie and the scenery surrounding it is gorgeous. their whisky isn't particularly special IMO, but i'm an Islay guy so i'm biased. they're owned by Diageo, so they have all of their single malts available in their tasting room (which includes talisker, oban, and lagavulin).

i would skip anything that focuses on blended whisky, like the Famous Grouse tour.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i should probably throw in a plug for Laphroaig's "Water to Whisky Experience". if you like Laphroaig you owe it to yourself to put it on your bucket list. definitely the most enjoyable 5 hours i spent in scotland.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i'm doing a whisk(e)y tasting party for some of my friends. the intent is to show the breadth of the whisky spectrum and give a good overview of what the various different varieties have to offer. I'm mostly a scotch guy, and i also know a good deal about bourbon and rye, so i have those departments covered without even going to the store. i'm looking for a decent irish whiskey that is representative of the style; anyone have any recommendations? how about tennessee whiskey? should i bother with canadian? I'm planning on skipping Japanese, since in my experience they basically try to emulate scotch, but are there any oddballs that i should consider?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Jo3sh posted:

Seems to me like you're already at about the number of samples that will be meaningful. In no particular order, I'd think you'd want at least a Highland and an Islay Scotch just to show the breadth of the styles. Add a wheater bourbon and a rye to contrast with that, then possibly an Irish, and you're well down the road to a tired palate - or at least I would be.

I might do those four or five as a survey course, then think about doing return sessions with deeper dives into smaller areas as demand indicates.

ok cool -- yeah, i agree that doing more than 4 or 5 would be a bit tiring, although this isn't going to be a super refined tasting. i mostly want to highlight the biggest differences in flavor because i'm expecting several folks to come in with some preconceived notions of what "whiskey" tastes like without having actually tried the whole spectrum.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
awesome, that's the one i was planning on getting :) only irish whiskey i've tried is Jameson, which is fine i guess, so i'm excited to try something different.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
my wife got me a bottle of Bunnahabhain 18 for my birthday while she was traveling, which you can't really get around here (PA). very different than any other Islay malt i've tried -- very little smoke, lots of oak and seawater, and a long, rich, leathery finish. A nice change of pace from the typical Islay peat bombs that i normally go for.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

emotive posted:

For refreshing summer cocktails, my go to drinks are whiskey sours or Irish whiskey with ginger beer & lime. Mint juleps are also good.

don't forget the whiskey smash! one of my favorite summer drinks.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Islay is a bit of a trek but highly worth it if you like peaty scotch. The Laphroaig Water to Whisky tour is fantastic, definitely the highlight of my trip there.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i'm in switzerland for work - any duty-free exclusive single malts i should look for on my way home? laphroaig is usually my go to, but it looks like their current duty free lineup has pretty meh reviews.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

mojo1701a posted:

I enjoyed Laphroaig PX cask when I cracked it open a while ago. The "like a candy store burning down in a peat bog" description on the lid was pretty apt. Peat and smoke, but definitely a heavy sherry body.

I have a bottle of Four Oak, but I haven't opened it yet.

awesome, thanks for the rec. it looks like they may also have some limited edition Bruichladdich releases (Octomore Masterclass, Port Charlotte) which i can't get in PA so i may keep an eye out for those as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

I enjoy Bulleit’s bourbon because of the spiciness of the high-rye mashbill. I especially enjoyed the limited “Blender’s select” that I used to buy, although I can’t find it anywhere anymore.

Please recommend other bourbons I may also enjoy, including maybe a few that are a bit fancier than the mass market Diageo product that I am currently buying.

Old Grand Dad bonded is great and also has a high rye content. usually it's even cheaper than Bulleit, at least in PA.