Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Frankston posted:

Anyone familiar with Ardbeg Uigeadail?

I'm a Scotch newbie out to educate myself and this is next on my list. Previous was Laphroaig Quarter Cask which I really enjoyed.
If you enjoyed Laphroaig QC, I imagine you'll enjoy Uigeadail. I love both, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jahoodie posted:

Recommend me some Ardbeg, at a mid price (~$50) and higher end (~$80-100)
Well, I think the 10 is the only one that comes in around $50 - but for $60-$65, Uigeadail is fantastic.
I enjoyed Airigh Nam Beist as well which used to fit in the $100 range, but I think they replaced it. I haven't had the chance to try Alligator, Blasda, Corryvreckan or Supernova yet. If you see any of their limited (or just discontinued?) releases around, they're definitely worth picking up (see: Very Young, Still Young, Almost There and Renaissance).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Opened a Glenfarclas 25 for my 25th birthday :toot:
All I've been drinking lately are Laphroaig QC, Ardbeg and Caol Ila so it was quite a change of pace.
I want more, but it's hard to justify at this time of day.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

CubanRefugee posted:

I'm trying to get my hands on a 12 or 18 yr Yamazaki for a late Christmas gift. Anyone have any recommendations for trustworthy online vendors, or anyone in the Seattle area able to recommend a store that's going to have a wider selection of scotch and whiskey?
If you end up ordering online, I've had good experiences with whiskyshopusa (.com) - I think I've ordered about $800 worth of whisky from them with no issues, though it's been a couple years. They have a fairly sizable collection, and I know they carry both of those Yamazaki bottlings.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Overholt is like, $12 for a 750ml so yeah, it’s kinda hard to beat at that price point.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah and then Rittenhouse is my other favorite value buy.

I know Bulleit Rye isn't fancy but gently caress if it isn't super balanced.

Yeah I like Rittenhouse a lot at that price point, but I haven't seen it around here lately. Wild turkey rye 101 also used to be ~$20 and one of my go-tos, but I can't remember the last time I saw it anywhere at all. Or the 101 bourbon for that matter.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Whistlepig like $90 here. I can get actual good whisky for that :shrug:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Pretty sure the 18yr Allardice is what gets all the love.

The last one I had was the 17yo px and that was pretty good from what I recall, that was probably also bottled in the ~55% range

Hauki
May 11, 2010

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Ahh, you're right, this was it. I was just getting into sherried scotch and chose aberlour abunadah (sp?) Over a bottle of this. I would up loving the aberlour, but being bummed I missed out on this.

Abunadh is p. good value for sure on the sherried end of things. Spilt milk and all.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wormil posted:

WTF happened to Buffalo Trace? I could probably google it but I'm lazy. Last time I was there they were cranking out bourbon and had big plans to move into vodka. But I haven't seen a bottle on the shelves in 2 years.

:same: now that you mention it

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The buffalo trace thing is baffling to me because I used to see it at like gas stations and grocery stores here and now I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw it on a shelf anywhere.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

costco has quinta ruban for like $40 and while I usually steer clear of sweeter whisky this is pretty good for the price

port barrel is also less common

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mandalay posted:

Where do you guys get good glencairn glasses on a budget?

Sometimes the little gift sets have a decent scotch at the regular bottled price plus two glencairn glasses. I got some branded ones that way. But I bought a half dozen plain and a pitcher forever ago.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

PT6A posted:

Y'all said I could talk about sherry here, so I'm going to do:

Valdespino Don Gonzalo VOS Oloroso tastes like magic and happiness and everyone owes it to themselves to try some.

Where is that on the dry - sweet | light - dark | rest of the flavour spectrum?
I like a good sherry once in a while, but I don't know much about 'em. I think I've mostly had manzanillas and amontillados, and I liked the drier or more acidic ones with nutty or apricoty notes.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Welcome to the craft bourbon experience, where you too can pay $40 for a fancy-looking bottle of $9 bourbon.

see also: craft beer and really any other ‘craft’ spirit, I’ve had some awfulass gins that were $50/bottle

fake edit: I’m just inherently skeptical of any new distilleries because time and experience are invaluable for that sort of thing

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I recently picked up a bottle of Old Overholt Bonded on a whim, and was impressed. Puts some fire on your palate but isn't harsh.

yeah for being like $12 it's pretty alright

Hauki
May 11, 2010

nervana posted:

Recommendations for some very simple recipes for hot whiskey based drinks?

spankmeister posted:

Hot buttered rum imo

:thunk:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wormil posted:

The label looks like a generic soda.

the faygo of bourbon

Hauki
May 11, 2010

DoctaFun posted:

Asking for some scotch for am Christmas this year, but want to narrow the list down, what does everyone think of these bottles?

Balvenie 17 Doublewood: $127
Glenmorangie 18: $89
Glenmorangie nectar D’or: $75
Glenmorangie Quinta ruban: $53
Aberlour A’bunadh: $97
Chivas Regal Mizunara: $35

My gift givers have a ~$150 and ~$100 budget respectively.

Thinking Aberlour + Quinta
&
Glenmorangie 18

Abunadh is p. good and I don’t even like sherried whiskies that much. From the others, nectar d’or used to be pretty solid as well, but it’s been a long time since I had it. Quinta was decent too though, I’ve been picking that up at Costco lately since it’s actually one of the cheapest decent scotches they have.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

wormil posted:

This is the only one on your list I've had and it was okay but my Scotch preferences tend to be common, Oban 14, Laphroaig 10, Lagavulin 16. I just bought a bottle of Laphroaig 10, hadn't had it in ages, then I saw there is now a cask strength version.

laphroaig quarter cask is one of my favourites of their regular bottlings and was pretty reasonably priced the last time i saw it

Hauki
May 11, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Anyone tried Flaming Heart or Juveniles by Compass Box?

Flaming heart was great some years ago. I couldn’t speak to juveniles, never had it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

obi_ant posted:

How does being aged in sherry casks affect the whiskey? I'm not too familiar with sherry, but from the sherry wines that I've tasted, I'm not a real fan. The ones I've tried were super salty, oily, viscous but more salty than anything.

uhhhh were you drinking cooking sherry?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mandalay posted:

Better than blended, I'd think? I've never seen someone prefer blended over single malt.

well, there are some not-very-good single malts and some fantastic blends, but they don’t tend to coexist at the same price point

also laphroaig is kind of a reach from someone asking for something comparable to jw or monkey shoulder

more seriously, I guess black grouse, pig’s nose, sheep dip, is black bottle still around?

Compass box does great blends, and asyla/oak cross etc. used to be rather cheap but it’s been a while.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Enigma posted:

Where are you that you find Laph at $30 and how is the nearby real estate market?

I’m pretty sure Costco here has laphroiag 10 for $35. Median home price was 503 as of a couple months ago.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I’m running out of space. I think these glasses need to move

I feel like you’re betraying your god-given username

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

I tried it not too long ago (the newish bottled in bond version) and was a bit let down. Nothing wrong with it for the price point, but Rittenhouse is noticeably less rough and pretty drinkable neat.

old overholt isn’t anything to write home about, but it’s also like half the price of rittenhouse

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Vox Nihili posted:

Not to be too contrarian here, but the price difference is like $5 where I live, less if we're comparing the Bonded version of Overholt ($15/$19 versus $20 for Ritt). I'm a big Rittenhouse advocate in any case at that price point.

I definitely prefer rittenhouse for what it is. I haven’t tried bonded old o, and but the regular bottling was like, $11 here, I’m struggling to think of anything else potable at that price. Ritt is typically $20-$22. I don’t know how much any of this matters unless you’re still in college or something though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Talisker, Oban, Highland Park, Springbank, Glen Scotia are good options if they like black label

will second the first four distilleries, never had glen scotia

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Friend picked up the Nick Offerman Lagavulin 11 for my birthday, which is actually pretty solid despite the branding. A little more aggressive than the 16, but hits a lot of the right notes for me. Christmas brought Kilchoman Sanaig and Glenfarclas 17 which I just cracked with dessert and whoops, I think I have the scotch bug again.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

Yeah, I finally bought a bottle months ago, and I'm impressed by how good it is. Really nice spicy rye flavour. I just wish the LCBO would sell it for less than $50.

christ, what? it’s like $22 here

Hauki
May 11, 2010

sanaig is legit & good

more at 11

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I forgot how good Sanaig is

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I kinda miss Black Grouse in the “cheap but serviceable blend” category

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Odd Mutant posted:

oh poo poo now I need a fuckoff trump bourbon of my own

:hmmyes:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Comb Your Beard posted:

Why, what happened to it? Not around anymore? More expensive?

oh, I dunno, but I haven’t seen it stocked anywhere locally in years now

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kalsco posted:

Nikka makes a gin which is really something else. Very overtly citrusy and horrendously drinkable straight, let alone mixed. I've tried a bunch thanks to gin-inclined friends, and while I've liked a lot of em, Nikka is the only one I've bothered buying for my own supply.

I like Suntory's gin a lot too

sounds similar

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Man I’d take the springbank, it’s been a while since I had it but those were p. good bottlings back when

What kinda whisky do you like otherwise?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Tests show levels >400x EPA limits after 5 years. It's poison.

haha, holy poo poo

i mean, i'd probably try a sip to sate my curiosity too, but uh... so how sweet do you think that is now?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Carillon posted:

My dear Hauki, you are luckily met. How remarkably well you are looking to-day. But I have received a pipe of what passes for Cutty Sark, and I have my doubts. I was silly enough to pay the full Cutty Sark price without consulting you in the matter. You were not to be found, and I was fearful of losing a bargain.

You jest, but let us proceed to the Cutty Sark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I think of their regular bottlings my favorite was the 15yo, but it's been a little while. The 18 was good, but I think the last time I had a bottle was when it was maybe $95-100. I like the 12 just fine though, especially for the price these days.