Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

nwin posted:

Looks like pizza party isn’t available to ship to the US anymore:

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=60502.msg607473#msg607473

That’s truly a bummer, Simone is a real sweetheart and has been very gracious in my dealings with her/Pizza Party. Hopefully in the future they can get back to it.
That said, rocko has good points still. A wood fired oven can be used for NY pizzas, plus all the other fun things you can cook in that style oven like breads/meats/etc. but again, counter space and ease of use go a long way if you move a lot, so very understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Veritek83 posted:

I'm debating between the Ooni Koda 16 and the Roccbox. While I like the additional size of the Ooni, the wood & propane fuel options on the Roccbox seem more convenient/versatile. Anybody have strong arguments/anecdotes one way or another?

Here's Kenji's side by side comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDK762aVaMI

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

large hands posted:

Here's Kenji's side by side comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDK762aVaMI

Thanks, his take basically boils down to 'they're both great, the Ooni is bigger, but the Roccbox burn wood.' I'd love to hear from goons who've used both.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I got a Koda because it's a bit more compact and portable, looks better (imo) and wood seems like a pain in the rear end for no apparent flavour difference. I can't imagine too many folks here have owned both but I'd take kenji's word that they're both great and decide if wood is important to you or not.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

large hands posted:

I got a Koda because it's a bit more compact and portable, looks better (imo) and wood seems like a pain in the rear end for no apparent flavour difference. I can't imagine too many folks here have owned both but I'd take kenji's word that they're both great and decide if wood is important to you or not.

Have you tried doing much non-pizza stuff in it? I like the idea of doing bread outside in the summer, rather than heating up the kitchen.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
The roccbox opening is 3.3" high, the Koda 16 is 4.5". These things have low tops to keep the heat flowing over the top of a pizza. I got a sizzle pan for mine and I've used it to sear kebabs and things, but you're not getting any bread in there that isn't pretty flat.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
I really like my Koda 16 but don’t have anything else to compare it to. I recently roasted tomatillos, onions, and jalapeños to make kenjis charred salsa verde and it worked great in a cast iron skillet. Skillet gets crazy hot. I was using leather welder gloves and ended up wearing work gloves underneath them. Even then it was still getting close to burning my hand.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Bonus photo of the rona pizza table project with the wife. Picked up this free rustic pine vanity and built a counter for it.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Burning wood is a godsend to me because it disposes of all these branches and trunks I prune every few years. If you had to pay what I see at the supermarket for what is basically one section of a split log then I wouldn't have bothered with it.

DIY propane dome ovens are a huge risk because you're likely to create a pocket of propane that'll periodically explode. I suppose it gives the oven some character--like a volcano god you have to appease or something.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

mls posted:

Bonus photo of the rona pizza table project with the wife. Picked up this free rustic pine vanity and built a counter for it.

that's a great looking counter

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Burning wood is a godsend to me because it disposes of all these branches and trunks I prune every few years. If you had to pay what I see at the supermarket for what is basically one section of a split log then I wouldn't have bothered with it.

yeah, this is part of my inclination toward the Roccbox- between a fireplace, a fire pit and a yard full of branches and crap, I'm never short on burnable wood

large hands posted:

The roccbox opening is 3.3" high, the Koda 16 is 4.5". These things have low tops to keep the heat flowing over the top of a pizza. I got a sizzle pan for mine and I've used it to sear kebabs and things, but you're not getting any bread in there that isn't pretty flat.

yeah, I guess flatbreads are the use case there, not so much leavened breads- can't imagine 1.2" makes much of a difference there. I do like the idea of searing stuff outside easily- especially stuff that comes off the smoker

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Been making a bunch of pandemic pizza and bread. This one was kalamata olives, feta, and pepperoni:

After years of baking bread and pizza from various recipes, I just now found out about baking ratios, which make things super simple to remember. I miss having access to a brick oven :(

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Been making a bunch of pandemic pizza and bread. This one was kalamata olives, feta, and pepperoni:

After years of baking bread and pizza from various recipes, I just now found out about baking ratios, which make things super simple to remember. I miss having access to a brick oven :(

Use a cast iron pan

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ColHannibal posted:

Use a cast iron pan

Yes, I'm pretty close to getting a dutch oven or cast iron pan. I'm just freaked out about how to transfer the pizza into it with it being blazing hot...guess I'll need a peal at that point.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Cast iron pizza you form in the cold pan.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

LifeSunDeath posted:

Yes, I'm pretty close to getting a dutch oven or cast iron pan. I'm just freaked out about how to transfer the pizza into it with it being blazing hot...guess I'll need a peal at that point.

i use parchment paper and then yank it out from under the pizza after a few mins

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I've been in the mood for a tavern style pie lately and have some NY style dough in the freezer, is this just a matter of rolling it out with a rolling pin and taking the sauce and the cheese all the way to the edges? And cutting it into squares, obviously.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Fancied making deep dish cast iron...

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Jamsta posted:

Fancied making deep dish cast iron...

Do you form your crust in the hot pan? Looks delicious.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I made a Hawaiian today

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Tried my blackstone out again today and I’m pretty pleased with the results.

I closed the regulator a bit which helped regulate the temp. I think I’ll close it a bit more so I can get some more browning.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

LifeSunDeath posted:

one thing you may wanna try if you want some browning on the crust there is do ken forkish's method of parbaking the crust and sauce for 3 mins or so and then putting on your cheese/toppings then finishing with the broiler on for 3 more mins or so

I've been doing this and it works really well for getting the top of the pizza well-browned without having to leave it in there so long that the cheese and stuff burns

also technically I think like the time period where the broiler is on but before your oven cuts it off for safety is how you can get the max total possible heat in your home oven

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

LifeSunDeath posted:

Do you form your crust in the hot pan? Looks delicious.

Yup, preheated the pan with oil in the oven as it came up to temp.

Dumped the loosely shaped dough into the pan and it crackled as I formed it to the edges. That's why it's uneven shaped, didn't spent long doing that.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

So I build in the hot pan, throw it on the stove and preheat it on medium high for a bit after stretching, and build quickly while the heat is on before moving it under your broiler.

Put back on the stove if the bottom ain’t charred enough.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

I'm seeing recipes online where they spread out the dough in a cold pan with oil, do toppings then cook it on the stove top, then transfer to the broiler to finish it off. It looks drat good this way and you get max coverage of the pie in the pan.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've done stovetop starts for cast iron pizza and it works pretty well but i walked away from one once and an absolutely gigantic bubble formed in the dough, I'm taking larger than my cast iron pan itself so make sure you pay attention to it

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

PokeJoe posted:

i use parchment paper and then yank it out from under the pizza after a few mins

I second this. I've tried for years but this just frigging works.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Welp.

Walked by the oven earlier and noticed my 10 year old pizza stone sitting on it was broken in half.

So what's a good 15"+ stone nowadays, or how does a piece of steel differ in the cooking process and what's a good thickness?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

You are all crazy for not just throwing a cold cast iron with fully formed pizza in a 500 oven. Do the stove top broiler for the 5 minute tortilla pizzas.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Reynold posted:

Welp.

Walked by the oven earlier and noticed my 10 year old pizza stone sitting on it was broken in half.

So what's a good 15"+ stone nowadays, or how does a piece of steel differ in the cooking process and what's a good thickness?

If it's a normal home oven, a 3/8 or 1/4" steel is great (1/2" is overkill imo), and gives excellent oven spring and crust browning. Far better than a stone does.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

The 3/8" pizza steel I got from an earlier iteration of this thread is one of the very few successful goon projects.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I have a metal "stone" that works well. The package called it a tawa but it's just a flat cast iron circle with a handle on it. Maybe 3/8 thick, got it on amazon

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I'm a sucker for Lodge cast iron, and I was looking at a griddle earlier anyhow, so that solves those problems.

Thanks, pizza friends.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Reynold posted:

I'm a sucker for Lodge cast iron, and I was looking at a griddle earlier anyhow, so that solves those problems.

Thanks, pizza friends.

That's a really good idea, all these pizza steels are expensive as heck.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can buy a sheet of steel from a metal supplier for much cheaper than a branded pizza steel if you're willing to do a little work yourself. The edges will be sharp so you'll want to sand or file them down. I was about 2 minutes away from ordering a steel circle from these guys before I got the tawa from Amazon because I decided the handle was worth a little more money.

https://www.2twentytwosteel.com/

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

You can buy a sheet of steel from a metal supplier for much cheaper than a branded pizza steel if you're willing to do a little work yourself. The edges will be sharp so you'll want to sand or file them down. I was about 2 minutes away from ordering a steel circle from these guys before I got the tawa from Amazon because I decided the handle was worth a little more money.

https://www.2twentytwosteel.com/

wow this is way cheaper

even cheaper

1x1ft
https://www.metalsdepot.com/steel-products/steel-plate

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 24, 2020

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I get it if you're looking to go as cheap as possible, but I'd rather pay an extra $20 for some pre-seasoned cast iron and not worry about soaking, filing, and seasoning a piece of steel. Sounds too much like work.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just got a custom-sized sheet of 1/8" steel from that place for both my grill and my hi-temp burner. I'll finally be able to properly capitalize that space for making smashburgers and poo poo.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Reynold posted:

I get it if you're looking to go as cheap as possible, but I'd rather pay an extra $20 for some pre-seasoned cast iron and not worry about soaking, filing, and seasoning a piece of steel. Sounds too much like work.

What just leave it in the oven all the time. I've never taken mine out except one time I used it on the stove as a big griddle.

IMO you ideally want a square so it fits in the ovens "side holders" and doesn't have to rest on anything else.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

They're talking about initial setup of the steel, not ongoing maintenance. If it has mill scale on it, you need to descale it with vinegar, then clean and season it so it doesn't rust. If it has sharp edges from the shop, you might want to file them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Read some article about how it's scientifically impossible to get good pizza from a home oven, using steel or a stone, and that steel at 700 degrees doesn't work near as good as a brick oven....People need to chill the hell out about pizza, and I say this as a huge fan of pizza.