Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
had my first PIZZA NIGHTMARE in a long time, I made a dough with what I thought was a relatively low hydration at like 60%, but I stretched it and left it on the peel and then it became I guess more relaxed so when I tried to lift it up to put more flour under it because it had become a little stuck it stretched out even more and I couldn't really un stretch it, and then when I put it in the oven it completely came apart lol

I had to scrub down my steel and oven because it had just pizza parts everywhere

I'm trying one for tomorrow with 50% hydration but it seems really dense, I'm wary of it. 50 might have been too low, maybe 55 is good.

I used to do up at like 65-70 but that was too wet for a home oven I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
the last pizza I made I did 60 percent and it was way too wet and I had to kneed in a bunch more flour, but I had read a recipe calling for even more hydration, dunno.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
my 50% one might just feel dense right now because it's cold in the fridge, when I get it out tomorrow and let it rise again for a couple hours it might be fine

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
...and here I've increased my hydration up to from 55% to 65% because it just seemed to stretch and handle better for a New York pizza.

Have you accounted for house temperature when handling the dough? The dough will stretch much more easily when it's warmer than room temperature. When I'm outside trying to do a pizza at 45F, I feel like I'm trying to stretch out a rubber hockey puck. So hydration might be fine but you're just playing with a warmer dough to begin with.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

ogopogo posted:

R&D time with my chef and tried out an elote pizza - Parkay butter base, roasted corn, and cotija cheese in the wood fired oven, then topped with homemade chili mayo, dried parmesan, and micro cilantro. loving slapped super hard.

Sexy lookin', love the crust.

Glimpse posted:

Basically same, I use the Lahey no-knead dough recipe that I originally picked up from this thread. I've used both all-purpose and 00 flour and both are fine. Sauce, I just cook down peeled tomatoes (San Marzano if I can get them), maybe with a garlic clove or two, maybe basil, but often just a bit of salt.

Here's one from a couple nights ago.

All day breakfast pizza? Sure why not!? Might have to try that.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Yea I do 66%hydration but I also let it sit in the fridge a few days and use high gluten flower.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah 50% was indeed a bit low, it still tasted pretty good but it was like crunchy on the exterior and a little dense inside so I do think like 60-65 is probably ideal

I think last time I made the mistake of letting it sit out on the peel while already stretched out so it stuck, but I did feel like letting it sit out made it rise a bit on the counter and made it super light when I cooked it so I liked that effect but I dunno how to do that without either putting a ton of flour on there or having it stick to the peel

maybe I should let it come to room temp in a ball in the bowl, then stretch it out, then let it sit for just 5 minutes or something I dunno

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah 50% was indeed a bit low, it still tasted pretty good but it was like crunchy on the exterior and a little dense inside so I do think like 60-65 is probably ideal

I think last time I made the mistake of letting it sit out on the peel while already stretched out so it stuck, but I did feel like letting it sit out made it rise a bit on the counter and made it super light when I cooked it so I liked that effect but I dunno how to do that without either putting a ton of flour on there or having it stick to the peel

maybe I should let it come to room temp in a ball in the bowl, then stretch it out, then let it sit for just 5 minutes or something I dunno

If you're rolling out the dough then you're likely smashing out all the air you have left. Also in regards to hydration, you should get a tad more spring. However, if you aren't specifically focused on air but rather a softer chew then some olive oil will do it. If you want a hilariously soft, pastry-like chew then use cake or pastry flour. I was wondering why it flattened out so well! Just don't expect much of an outer crust. Also, ninjas might smash through your windows and get you for making pizzas like that. They let me off with a warning because my flour had been mislabeled.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If you're rolling out the dough then you're likely smashing out all the air you have left. Also in regards to hydration, you should get a tad more spring. However, if you aren't specifically focused on air but rather a softer chew then some olive oil will do it. If you want a hilariously soft, pastry-like chew then use cake or pastry flour. I was wondering why it flattened out so well! Just don't expect much of an outer crust. Also, ninjas might smash through your windows and get you for making pizzas like that. They let me off with a warning because my flour had been mislabeled.

Oh I didn't mean literally rolled out like with a pin just that I had made it into a pizza shape already, but yeah I've been trying to see what I can do to make it lighter, I tried using 00 flour once but I dunno if it's really appropriate for a home oven

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Ok yeah 60 seems like the sweet spot, I made this with some leftover chicken from tacos and I maybe let it broil 15-30 seconds too long because a couple parts were burnt but overall very good

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
I will be very sad to lose the pizza thread if things get all lovely around these forums. Been fun to be a part of everyone's pizza journeys over the years.

Trying out a lamb gyro style pie - The Lamb of God

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

Ok yeah 60 seems like the sweet spot, I made this with some leftover chicken from tacos and I maybe let it broil 15-30 seconds too long because a couple parts were burnt but overall very good

Looks good to me but I like a little char on the pizza.

My wife and I have been doing pizza night for the last couple months and it's been long enough that it's time to get serious. I ordered a pizza steel and wooden peel the other day, super excited to try them out.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I’d like to move up to 16” pies but my current steel only allows 14”, maybe 15” with a perfect launch.

Any recommendations out there on a steel that’s like 17x17 or 18x18?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

ogopogo posted:

I will be very sad to lose the pizza thread if things get all lovely around these forums. Been fun to be a part of everyone's pizza journeys over the years.

This looks awesome. Happy to have pizza'd with you all.

Canadian bacon and pepperoni.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

nwin posted:

I’d like to move up to 16” pies but my current steel only allows 14”, maybe 15” with a perfect launch.

Any recommendations out there on a steel that’s like 17x17 or 18x18?

I've seen these guys on Amazon have conversations with customers in the question and answer section asking about custom sizes. Or find a local metal shop. All you're looking for is a slab of 1/4" or 3/8" A36 HRPO steel

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=2TwentyTwo+Steel+Designs&ref=bl_dp_s_mw_0

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Any idea if they make pizza/quarry tiles in 4”x4”x3/8”?

I’m thinking instead of buying a new pizza steel, I can just put a few of those size tiles on each side of the steel.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

nwin posted:

pizza quarry

I wish I could just mine pizza.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

LifeSunDeath posted:

Stardew Valley.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

LifeSunDeath posted:

You would be a real Harvester of Sbarro.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

ogopogo posted:

drat that looks good.. really wanna try that!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Fenris13 posted:

You would be a real Harvester of Sbarro.

I appreciate this joke a lot.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Jamsta posted:

drat that looks good.. really wanna try that!

Thank you!

The Midsummer Night's Dream Pie - panna/roasted garlic/roasted garlic oil/parm/shredded mozz/cherry tomatoes/oregano/basil

Pepperoni with pickled red onions and wood fired jalapeños

Pepperoni

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

ogopogo posted:

Thank you!

The Midsummer Night's Dream Pie - panna/roasted garlic/roasted garlic oil/parm/shredded mozz/cherry tomatoes/oregano/basil

Pepperoni

Those are some gorgeous pies you got!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
I really want that in my face right now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Detroit pizza, someone finally did it!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
What kinda sauce were you using on that pie? It looks like it's got so many hot pepper flakes in it that there's more spice than there are tomatoes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Gwaihir posted:

What kinda sauce were you using on that pie? It looks like it's got so many hot pepper flakes in it that there's more spice than there are tomatoes.

That's mostly minced garlic.

make hot - EVOO, then add: garlic, Italian-y herbs, pepperflakes
add 14.5oz can of tomatoes of your choice. (I used fake Italian crushed san marzanos, i almost went with fire roasted)
add black pepper reduce while the dough is bench proofing til its thick and chunky.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I was super stoked to use real Wisconsin Brick Cheese to make a deep dish pie but I do not like it one bit. Firstly, it's fairly pungent. Secondly, it leaves pools of grease where a mixture of mozz and jack doesn't. Thirdly, it gave me the worst diarrhea.

Anyway now I have like four pounds of this dang cheese.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

ogopogo posted:

Thank you!

Pepperoni

Woof! Nice

That's a gott dang crispy cheese meat loaf and a half. Noice.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I was super stoked to use real Wisconsin Brick Cheese to make a deep dish pie but I do not like it one bit. Firstly, it's fairly pungent. Secondly, it leaves pools of grease where a mixture of mozz and jack doesn't. Thirdly, it gave me the worst diarrhea.

Anyway now I have like four pounds of this dang cheese.

Send it to me.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If you pay for shipping I will send you some cheese.

e: actually there's no way this works. It came to me in a cooler with ice bags.

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

I tried the 24 hour dough from Ken Forkish's Elements of Pizza and was super happy with how it turned out!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh good I knew there had to be a GWS pizza thread.

Here. Cross posted from the mil hist thread because I knew some of the nerds over there would like it.

I don’t even know where this should go but I figure people here might enjoy it. M

A while back a friend gave me an E German cookbook from 1985. It’s that state printing company poo poo paper and cardboard hard cover that ends up weighing like a third of what the book should. Any of you who have any old East German books will know what I mean

Anyways they have a mix of German recipes and fancy international poo poo that you can totally cook with the stuff you can buy in Dresden or Brandenburg in 1985, we promise. They up sell traditional dishes from fellow Warsaw Pact countries of course but you’ll find French and Italian etc too

This, meine Damien und Heeren (lets be honest just Damen because the cook book was of course published by the Verlag für die Frau) is what an East German “totally authentic” Italian Neapolitan pizza looks like.

Why yes that’s a pie tin just like they use in Italy why do you ask?

That’s salami.

The recipe specifies that you can use either tomatoes or ketchup.

Don’t forget the margarine in the pizza crust or to spread anchovie paste on it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

And just so you know I know what a pizza is here is a pic of a home made pizza from a while ago using my sourdough starter to get the dough.

Crust needed a bit more time to crisp and was only white flour instead of a bit of wheat but was good. Subsequent un-photographed pizzas were better.

No ketchup or margarine or pie tins were used.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Cyrano4747 posted:

Here. Cross posted from the mil hist thread because I knew some of the nerds over there would like it.

I don’t even know where this should go but I figure people here might enjoy it. M

A while back a friend gave me an E German cookbook from 1985. It’s that state printing company poo poo paper and cardboard hard cover that ends up weighing like a third of what the book should. Any of you who have any old East German books will know what I mean

Anyways they have a mix of German recipes and fancy international poo poo that you can totally cook with the stuff you can buy in Dresden or Brandenburg in 1985, we promise. They up sell traditional dishes from fellow Warsaw Pact countries of course but you’ll find French and Italian etc too

This, meine Damien und Heeren (lets be honest just Damen because the cook book was of course published by the Verlag für die Frau) is what an East German “totally authentic” Italian Neapolitan pizza looks like.

Why yes that’s a pie tin just like they use in Italy why do you ask?

That’s salami.

The recipe specifies that you can use either tomatoes or ketchup.

Don’t forget the margarine in the pizza crust or to spread anchovie paste on it.

Oh my goddd that first picture lmao.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

You son of a bitch, you're into homemade pizza too? Sounds like maybe homemade bread making too? Are there any hobbies we don't share? What's next? Scotch? Guitars? ... I swear to god if you start posting in the scale modeling thread, I'm gonna be really weirded out, man.

(Hilariously, I thought this was the milsurp thread. Ah well, it works here too.)

Chuck_D fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 1, 2020

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
my wife wanted me to try making a pizza with AP flour because bread had been hurting her stomach and we were wondering if maybe she was developing some adverse effects from gluten and thought it might be lower in the AP flour

the results were...not what I expected

I mean i expected it to be different but it was like really not good imo, it was still edible because the sauce and cheese were good, but the effect I didn't expect was that it didn't brown at all? it like was pretty much completely blonde/white still even after 3 minutes of parbaking at 550 and 3 minutes of broiling with topppings on, and like it just tasted sort of...I dunno, almost like a cracker on the bottom instead of bread

was weird, might have to do it again because she said it didn't hurt her stomach as much, but def would not recommend

just posting because I think I asked a few pages back what would be different if I used it and now I have my answer

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gewehr 43 posted:

You son of a bitch, you're into homemade pizza too? Sounds like maybe homemade bread making too? Are there any hobbies we don't share? What's next? Scotch? Guitars? ... I swear to god if you start posting in the scale modeling thread, I'm gonna be really weirded out, man.

(Hilariously, I thought this was the milsurp thread. Ah well, it works here too.)

Hah. Scotch (and bourbon) yes, bread (sourdough in particular) yes, guitars no. You can keep those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey Cyrano, remember when I PM'd you about how we seem to keep winding up in the same threads? You did it again!

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah that's pretty nasty but they get a pass thanks to Flammkuchen.