Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Aaronicon posted:

Speaking of sauces, does anyone have a go-to for a pizza BBQ sauce? Something rich, dark, but not hot-spicey, with a bit of sweetness. It feels cheating that I make my own tomato pizza sauce (uncooked with not much more than a couple leaves of fresh basil, some smoked salt, and dried oregano) but I just squirt out some bottled stuff for when everyone wants a meaty BBQ pizza. All the bottled ones I've tried are very thick and go on more like a paste than a spreadable sauce like tomato-based.

Dreamland's bbq sauce owns: http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/Catalog/CategoryInfo.aspx?CID=7
I use a bit of it in calzones with smoked sausage, ricotta, and goat cheese. It's definitely on the vinegary side of the BBQ sauce spectrum vs more sweet or molases-y bbq sauces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Still looks like it came out pretty damned well!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I finally got myself a baking steel, because pizza owns and anything that makes better pizza is money well spent.

I did sausage, pesto, fresh mozz, goat cheese, and olive oil first and it came out god damned amazing, even with lazy not very good store bought dough, preheated to 550 then broiler on high for 5 minutes:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

blixa posted:

Crossposting from the last night's meal thread, made pan pizza with Kenji's dough recipe. So drat good.

Nice. I've been going through Kenji's pizza recipe and my continual conclusion is that I never really get the dough quite right and it's always a little annoying but never enough to make it a bad pizza.

Spicy Sicilian first try:
Boar's head natural casing pepperoni, and goat cheese on half

Came out really well aside from I think me not using nearly enough olive oil in the pan to get that really good pan fried effect for the crust.

Detroit style attempt #1:
This one was sorta, well, a hot fuckin mess. I went way too heavy on the cheese and sauce, at least partially because this sauce is so loving good I could drink it straight up. Also it was in the oven a tad long:

Detroit style #2: More restraint edition. I didn't do the end to end cheese that the recipe/style calls for and just made it more like a normal pizza.

The crust on this one was fantastic. Ultra crisp crunch on the bottom, still light and puffed on the edges.

My only thing with these style crusts is, I cannot seem to get them to be very consistent thickness wise. The dought doesn't seem like one you want to work over too much in terms of stretch or rolling or whatnot, so the end result is that even with big puffy crusts on the side of the pizza, portions of the interior can be super duper thin. You can sorta see it in that last picture there.

Side note, but the baking steel + black pan combo is completely loving magic.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That pan is really really good. If you like crusty brownies it's also a real champ for those, too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, that and the Detroit on are both super wet, like 68% or something.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I can confidently say here the answer is just MORE OIL. The dough will just soak it up and it'll be REAL GOOD.

e: also fuckit now im makin pizza this weekend too.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

legendof posted:

I'm sure this has come up before, but I'm planning on getting a mini baking steel griddle soon (since Kenji loves it, and Kenji is god). Any trip reports of its utility as a pizza stone? Tips?

Baking steel is a good and strong friend.

It does other pizza adjacent things really well too!
Here's some naan:

This was the underside of the very first pizza I made on it after getting it:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Like, putting the pizza in the oven under the broiler on the steel and then?? Putting it in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop?

Once you find the right timing/distance from broiler in your oven you don't need to fuss with moving it around.

(You will have a couple over/under done pies till you find that sweet spot though, I charred the gently caress out of a few for sure).

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
With the baking steel I *seriously* doubt you would ever need or want to move the pizza from the oven to the stovetop. Especially a smaller style like that. It's hard to overstate just how hot/fast the steel cooks when it's been heated in a turned up to max oven for an hour.

The steel just fuckin blasts the bottom of the crust way better than any skillet does.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The steel is loving magic imo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think that was just one on seriouseats, https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/08/the-food-lab-how-to-sort-of-make-naan-at-home.html

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

wormil posted:

See if I can get the right thread this time.

I tried a google search but it just gave me 8,000,000 hits on recipes... I've been buying Boars Head pepperoni and it's way too greasy. Should I be looking for something specific for pizza or buy another brand?
(or as suggested elsewhere, precook the pepperoni)

Maybe check out the Boar's Head natural casing vs the pre-cut stuff. Maybe it was just the way I cut it but I didn't find it especially greasy vs other pepperoni, and the flavor is top notch.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The browning on that cheese in the first pic looks pretty spot on imo!

I need to make some pizza again this weekend, it's been too long.

....but first I need to polish off the leftover frozen pizza already in the freezer.

Goon_world_problems.txt

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Piggy Smalls posted:

When cooking a pizza in the oven is it best under a broiler or just the oven

Ideally you've got the broiler going if it's a thinner crust style, like NY or Neapolitan. I don't use the broiler for Detroit or Sicilian though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

That's like my platonic ideal looking neapolitan pie, drat. That tomato sauce looks spicy and delicious especially.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I. M. Gei posted:

I got a stone. Now I have a question about tomatoes.

I decided to try making pizza sauce from scratch, and I bought two kinds of tomatoes at the store because I wasn’t sure which one is better for the job: “Roma” tomatoes, which are about the size of my fist, and “San Marzano” tomatoes, which are these little things that are about an inch and a half long and may or may not be actual San Marzanos. Which of these are better for making sauce?

I loving love the sauce that kenji uses for his detroit style pizza recipe. I could basically drink it. It's just olive oil and melted butter, use that to toast garlic/oregano/chili flakes for a minute, add tomatos, sugar (yea some sugar in sauce is good, dwi) and extra garlic and onion powder. Then it simmers for 45 minutes or so.

(Also add anchovy/anchovy paste with the garlic/oregano/chili flakes even though the recipe doesn't call for it, because that poo poo makes every sauce better).

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 26, 2018

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Just go with a can of peeled whole San Marzano tomatoes, it'll be fine. You can either smush em up with your hands, a potato masher, or an immersion blender depending on how smooth you like your sauce. I've never ever de-seeded tomatoes, I don't know how is even do it heh.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I've done purely food processor mixed doughs for pretty much all of my pizza making. About a minute in the food processor at most is going to be all you need. If you don't have a food processor at all it's definitely worth it for that, and it works great. Also works for pie dough, or, well, anything else you'd normally use a food processor for.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
God drat that looks just like perfect textbook right there.

I got the cookbook from Emily in NY (https://www.pizzalovesemily.com/ ) and took it as an excuse to work on my dough skills a bit more, and try out some new pie combos.

Dough stretching: still, eh, not quiiite round

Red sauce (I typically use that Detroit style sauce recipe from Kenji because I loving love it and would drink that sauce), Fresh mozz, percorino romano, pepperoni, pickled jalapenos, and a drizzle of honey after it comes out of the oven:

This combo was holy poo poo good. I'm never going back to plain ole hot pepper flakes for my heat on pizza needs again.

Sausage, pesto, goat cheese, pecorino and red sauce:

Longtime favorite of mine!

I was really happy with the crusts though:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I would absolutely say that that particular recipe does well with a shitload of oil in the pan itself though- More than adding extra oil to the dough when mixing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Democratic Pirate posted:

All these goons makin pizza is not helping my urge to get a pizza oven.

When I do, I’m definitely going to buy or make my own habanero honey to drizzle on top. The spice and sweetness takes a normal pizza over the top based on my experiences at restaurants.

Just compromise with a baking steel and your wishes will all be answered. I'm definitely with you on the hot and sweet toppings though, the last pie I had with pickled jalapenos + the honey drizzle was completely loving awesome.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
loving want. I have a serious problem of wanting to make and eat more pizza when when I already have lots of pizza in the freezer. It's a struggle.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Look I'm not 20 anymore I can't just smash a whole pizza one sitting solo np :(

There's gonna be leftovers.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Holy gently caress, dude.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The baking steel is exceptionally good for stuff other than pizza, too, fwiw. Literally anything you want to make and have the bottom be nicer and crisped up? Just put it straight on the steel with some parchment or something on top. Other breads? Sure. Chicken fuckin nuggets? Absolutely. Roasted potatoes? You bet.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

nwin posted:

I’d like the flat pepperoni. Right now with the stick of boar’s head, it always cups.

Boar's head is a natural casing pepperoni and it's always gonna do the little cup thing (That's why it's great! that's the one I always go with, fwiw).

Most of the pre sliced ones won't naturally curl up, vs the stick pepperonis which almost will guaranteed.

SE has a pep taste test from way back that might be good:
https://slice.seriouseats.com/2012/09/taste-tests-sliced-pepperoni.html

(and stick version: https://slice.seriouseats.com/2013/01/taste-test-pepperoni-sticks.html )

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
WTF goons, 10 days and no one's pizza'd? Time to fix that.
ITT, I continue my detroit style love affair.

THE PIZZA WANTER HAS LOGGED ON

Dough was the recipe from https://www.amazon.com/EMILY-Cookbook-Emily-Hyland/dp/1524796832
(This cookbook is fantastic, btw, for more than just pizza).

Sauce is mostly one from serious eats: Garlic, oregano, and hot pepper flakes briefly cooked in olive oil, tomato paste + anchovy paste tossed in, then the big ole 28oz can of tomatos. Add extra garlic and onion powder, then simmer down to reduce for 45 minutes.

Toppings aside from the mozzarella were just crumbled smoked spicy southern style sausage, goat cheese, and pecorino-romano sprinkled on top.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GramCracker posted:

My pizza stone cracked straight down the middle last night, pretty sure I broke an Italian law or something. I did manage one last good pizza from it though, so it wasn't for nothing.

If this has been discussed in length before, my bad. What is a recommended upgrade, a pizza steel I presume?

Baking steel for sure. You don't need the special double thick one. It's pro as hell for doing most things in the oven though, anything you want extra crispy on the bottom just plop it on the steep on some parchment.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

GramCracker posted:

Awesome, thank you. Would you say 1/4 of an inch thickness is appropriate?

Now I have to refine making sauce before this new steel arrives.

Yeah, I think I have the 3/8" thick version, but any of them are going to work super well.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

forbidden dialectics posted:

Alright, like most normal people, I'm loving sick of Kitchenaid's bullshit "dough hook" trash that results in dough that still needs a ton of manual kneading before it's ready - so naturally, being a normal, cool person, I bought this 66 lb thing:

It's a Famag IL-5S spiral hook mixer.

sweet jesus i want one so badly

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I mean, hey, they look like they taste really good!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'm a big fan of the level of cheese browning going on in those. That square pie especially, just :discourse:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Holy poo poo that looks so good. I have to try this now.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's pizza pie sunday, baby:

Detroit style crust, a mix of pickled jalapeno, pepperoni, chorizo, peppers, and a bit of spinach on one side.
Pickled jalapenos are a god tier topping imo.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think you should just go with a baking steel over stones at this point. There's not a lot of difference there, fundamentally they're all just slabs of steel. I wouldn't get a 1/2" one, stick with 3/8". 1/2 will just be amazingly heavy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think half and half jack and low moisture mozz would work just fine for Detroit style. Also good call on that pan, it is so so good.

e: Just as a suggestion for the detroit pies, I don't think the recipes necessarily call for much olive oil in the pan itself under the dough, but use a few REAL healthy glugs. I've never made one with the specific kind of cheese called out in the Detroit recipe (Brick), so idk that you get the same fat and oil dripping effect that lets the crust fry up crispy on the bottom without that. So long as you have plenty of olive oil in there though, you'll get a perfectly golden crisp bottomed crust for sure.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 17, 2020

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

cr0y posted:

So first go around with the detroit style experiment went....sorta ok. I ended up just making some garlic breadstick things because i wanted to experiment with crust. I noticed that placing the pan on the middle rack in my (gas) oven left the bottom of the crust under-done. Should I be putting the pan closer to the bottom? I am assuming with the burner being at the bottom that would put more heat underneath? I actually got it to finally toast up by placing the pan directly on the floor of the oven but am not sure what the proper strategy is. My laser thermometer registered the floor of the oven as "HIGH!" which means it was over 800 degrees which I think might be too hot to start with (burning the crust before the top is baked. More science is required.

I cook mine with the pan resting directly on the pre heated pizza steel, it makes a fabulously crisp crust on the bottom.

Your cheese pics look loving great.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

cr0y posted:

What temp? I did the above one at 475 and occasionally dropped it on the floor of the oven because the bottom wasn't toasting up. It worked out ok but it was a pain in the rear end. Using my pizza steel sounds like a really good idea.

525 is good if your oven will go that high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I am also a giant fan of cooked sauces, I really like kenji's detroit style recipe vs the NY one though.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/02/detroit-style-pizza-recipe.html

I like to also add a healthy squeeze of anchovy paste and tomato paste to the recipe in there, right after you put in the garlic/oregano/pepper flakes.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 19, 2020