Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
Am I crazy or is fluke just everywhere on menus right now? It seems like it is the new fish du jour or something, I like it ok, but don't really understand the popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tycho_atreides
Oct 25, 2006

Here be dargonz

GrAviTy84 posted:

He made a pork belly bun, whoopdee fuckin doo. He doesn't even make the buns in house, they're sourced from chinatown. Save your money and go get them from the source where they're fresher, better, and not assembled in the restaurant of a douche that scowls at you when you take a picture then charges you twice as much as they should be.
You're rating all the Momofuku restaurants based on the ramen and buns at Noodle Bar?

quote:

His food is unremarkable for someone familiar with the genre.
What does that mean

Halalelujah posted:

Am I crazy or is fluke just everywhere on menus right now? It seems like it is the new fish du jour or something, I like it ok, but don't really understand the popularity.
It's one of the few flatfishes easily available in NY, besides turbot and halibut, both of which are much more expensive. Plus it's pretty good raw.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

Anyway, I suppose I could go try another of his restos, but the hype behind them, and from what I've seen of his menus, it's more of the same. Why would I waste my money when there are so many other more impressive restaurants in the city?

tycho_atreides posted:

You're rating all the McDonald's restaurants based on the Big Macs at one of them?

yup

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

You are part of a long tradition
of needless self-sacrifice so that
dickbags can eat overpriced foie gras.

tycho_atreides posted:

You're rating all the McDonald's restaurants based on the Big Macs at one of them?

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'm a baseless hater.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

reserve posted:

:downs: HOW DARE YOU HATE A THING I LIKE :downs:

yes, eating the signature dishes at a place makes me baseless, especially when one is a noodle and the place is a noodle bar. :rolleyes:

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I love how catty this thread is.

Anyone have any recs for the UWS? I am looking for about 65 bucks a plate, maybe a bit more, including wine. It is a dinner I REALLY don't want to be at so I want the food to be good at least. I was thinking Bar Boulud, but it is right next to my work and I eat there all the bloody time. I like literally all cuisine, but not looking for anything too downscale.

gently caress, I might just do boulud anyway in the interest of laziness.

tycho_atreides
Oct 25, 2006

Here be dargonz

Halalelujah posted:

I love how catty this thread is.

Anyone have any recs for the UWS? I am looking for about 65 bucks a plate, maybe a bit more, including wine. It is a dinner I REALLY don't want to be at so I want the food to be good at least. I was thinking Bar Boulud, but it is right next to my work and I eat there all the bloody time. I like literally all cuisine, but not looking for anything too downscale.

gently caress, I might just do boulud anyway in the interest of laziness.

Might want to try Dovetail. It's not that easy on the wallet but the food is awesome. I think it tends to get overlooked next to all the other 3 stars because it's fairly high up (77th and Columbus I think). On Sundays they do a Sunday Supper prix fixe that's a good deal (3 courses, about $45). Either that or Telepan - haven't been there but I hear good things.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
Once on a birthday I wandered into Momofuku Ssam and demanded a steak, they gave me steak tartare rolled in lettuce, now I hate Momofuku Ssam (Ippudo's pork buns are the same thing anyway).

gently caress who am I kidding I will still go for the pork buns.

e: Thoughts on Apiary? For a year I walked by the place and thought "who buys bees in the city?"

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

doggiebiscuit posted:

Once on a birthday I wandered into Momofuku Ssam and demanded a steak, they gave me steak tartare rolled in lettuce, now I hate Momofuku Ssam (Ippudo's pork buns are the same thing anyway).

gently caress who am I kidding I will still go for the pork buns.

e: Thoughts on Apiary? For a year I walked by the place and thought "who buys bees in the city?"

Apiary is one of my favorite restaurants in the east village. I go there every year for my birthday. One of the best meals I've had was when a friend and I rolled up on a Monday night (no corkage fee night) with a few bottles of wine, sat down at the bar, and just asked if the chef would cook us a tasting menu. Had seven or eight courses just like that. All amazing.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Apiary is one of my favorite restaurants in the east village. I go there every year for my birthday. One of the best meals I've had was when a friend and I rolled up on a Monday night (no corkage fee night) with a few bottles of wine, sat down at the bar, and just asked if the chef would cook us a tasting menu. Had seven or eight courses just like that. All amazing.

100% agree with this. In fact, I had an early V-day dinner at Daniel last night - one of the courses was veal over polenta, which included a piece of the sweet bread. I turned to my gf, and told her, "gosh, I wish I was eating the sweet bread at Apiary right now".

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

I have no idea how Apiary missed my radar, thanks so much for the suggestion.

How was Daniel? I was considering for my biannual budget blowout but have heard some conflicting things.

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness

Halalelujah posted:

I have no idea how Apiary missed my radar, thanks so much for the suggestion.

How was Daniel? I was considering for my biannual budget blowout but have heard some conflicting things.

Great, but still not in the same league as EMP

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

sink the biz posted:

100% agree with this. In fact, I had an early V-day dinner at Daniel last night - one of the courses was veal over polenta, which included a piece of the sweet bread. I turned to my gf, and told her, "gosh, I wish I was eating the sweet bread at Apiary right now".

I get the sweetbread every time I'm there. It's fantastic.

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

The playoffs work the same way

tycho_atreides posted:

Might want to try Dovetail. It's not that easy on the wallet but the food is awesome. I think it tends to get overlooked next to all the other 3 stars because it's fairly high up (77th and Columbus I think). On Sundays they do a Sunday Supper prix fixe that's a good deal (3 courses, about $45). Either that or Telepan - haven't been there but I hear good things.

Dovetail yes, do it!

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
e: wrong thread sorry

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

Every Sunday morning on 14th Street between 8th and 9th avenues, in front of the Spanish language church, there are these abuelitas (usually accompanied by a son or brother who speaks English) who serve up delicious Mexican food off of makeshift griddles, and tiny cobbled together food carts. The number of ladies depends on the weather. At 23 degrees last Sunday there were two warrior women still outside, heating up tortas on the griddle, and forming tortillas by hand.

This is, without a doubt, the best Mexican food I have had in New York City. Forget the Red Hook vendors, forget your local taco truck, and forget Fonda.

I can vouch for the tamales (which go very quickly, so get there early), the chile rellenos, which you should get with the works, and the tostadas. The set-ups might look a little ganky, but trust me, that's part of what makes this food so good.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

reserve posted:

Every Sunday morning on 14th Street between 8th and 9th avenues, in front of the Spanish language church, there are these abuelitas (usually accompanied by a son or brother who speaks English) who serve up delicious Mexican food off of makeshift griddles, and tiny cobbled together food carts. The number of ladies depends on the weather. At 23 degrees last Sunday there were two warrior women still outside, heating up tortas on the griddle, and forming tortillas by hand.

This is, without a doubt, the best Mexican food I have had in New York City. Forget the Red Hook vendors, forget your local taco truck, and forget Fonda.

I can vouch for the tamales (which go very quickly, so get there early), the chile rellenos, which you should get with the works, and the tostadas. The set-ups might look a little ganky, but trust me, that's part of what makes this food so good.

SOLD.

I just returned from Mexico and loved all the street carts there... Thanks for the tip.

Wolf Blanket
Feb 16, 2012
Suggestion Request
Late Lunch - Supper
Dinner style:
Russian Food and Eastern European (Polish,Ukraine,Lithu,etc)
Willing to spend:
$0 - $ 40 per person
Restrictions:

Mega Boris
Feb 21, 2001

Better luck next time, slugheads!

Wolf Blanket posted:

Suggestion Request
Late Lunch - Supper
Dinner style:
Russian Food and Eastern European (Polish,Ukraine,Lithu,etc)
Willing to spend:
$0 - $ 40 per person
Restrictions:

Its not fancy by any means, but I love Veselka for Ukranian food.

Wolf Blanket
Feb 16, 2012
Thank you for recommending Veselka!I love any kind of restaurant whether its a greasy spoon,hole in a wall to a 5 star kind of place.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
Cool thread idea! I've been in the area for about a year now, and with a foodie girlfriend I feel like I've been to some pretty awesome places. One thing we rely on quite a bit is Yelp, but she usually has a spot on a list somewhere to check out because she's always reading the food blogs and what not.

Additionally, I'm going to the choice eats festival in March, I believe there are general tickets still available, but my girlfriend says it's totally awesome. 50 bucks all you can eat and drink, but more importantly there will be booths from the latest and greatest restaurants.

website to see restaurant list: http://choiceeats.villagevoice.com/2012/

website for tickets (general tickets available): http://www.ticketfly.com/event/83253/

Anyways, my review from this past weekend.

Name: La Sirene
Price Range: 30$ a plate, but it's BYOB.
Dish you reccomend: Duck Confit, Goat Cheese Tartare
Comments: Holy poo poo, this place has some solid french cuisine. Made reservations for 2, nice and cozy place that has great ambiance for a date spot. I like that this place is BYOB so it doesn't hit the wallet especially hard, but definitely save this place for an occasion. Better than its sister restaurant, Taureau, which is a fondue place. Would (and will) go to again.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Suggestion Request
Dinner
Dinner style:
Any
Willing to spend:
less than 500/person
Restrictions:
none

I'm heading up there in April and I want something that will give me a foodgasm for a while. I'm open to trying anything once. The only thing I've tried that I didn't care for was Foie, but I think that might've been the way it was prepared.

I don't know for sure if I'll have someone with me or not, but that doesn't matter.

If it matters, this will probably be a Wednesday night.

LTBS fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 20, 2012

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

LTBS posted:

Suggestion Request
Dinner
Dinner style:
Any
Willing to spend:
less than 500/person
Restrictions:
none

I'm heading up there in April and I want something that will give me a foodgasm for a while. I'm open to trying anything once. The only thing I've tried that I didn't care for was Foie, but I think that might've been the way it was prepared.

I don't know for sure if I'll have someone with me or not, but that doesn't matter.

If it matters, this will probably be a Wednesday night.

With that kind of cash to throw around? Per Se. Without a doubt. They'll treat you even better if you show up solo.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I think I might have to try that then. I've heard Gilt is pretty good too?

What kind of lead time do I need for a single or two person reservation at Per Se?

Saw that they start taking reservations 1 calendar month in advance from the date.

LTBS fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 20, 2012

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

LTBS posted:

I think I might have to try that then. I've heard Gilt is pretty good too?

What kind of lead time do I need for a single or two person reservation at Per Se?

Honestly I'm not too sure - probably a few weeks to a month before you'll be there. If you do end up going by yourself, I really would go to Per Se over anywhere else. Keller has a policy there and at the French Laundry to VIP any solo diners and you will definitely be taken care of.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Honestly I'm not too sure - probably a few weeks to a month before you'll be there. If you do end up going by yourself, I really would go to Per Se over anywhere else. Keller has a policy there and at the French Laundry to VIP any solo diners and you will definitely be taken care of.

Ok, I won't know until time is closer if it will be one or two, but I'll definitely shoot for Per Se if it is just me.

I wonder if they'll mind me bringing a camera or would that be uncouth?

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Go to Per Se, don't bring a camera, call in every day to see if people cancel (they always do) remember that the wine will be the big cost, and prepare for the best meal of your life.

You may end up at 600, but service is included soo....

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Halalelujah posted:

Go to Per Se, don't bring a camera, call in every day to see if people cancel (they always do) remember that the wine will be the big cost, and prepare for the best meal of your life.

You may end up at 600, but service is included soo....

Tasting + wine pairing should come in just under $500. Also do exactly what he said. They won't turn you away if you bring a camera, but you might feel a little silly with it. Wouldn't be the first person to bring a camera there, though, I'm sure.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

I'd probably be missing out if I didn't get the wine pairing?

I'm not a huge wine fan. I could possibly tolerate it for this, if it gives that much more.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

The don't do pairings really, you can work with the sommelier but you typically buy by the bottle. On the other hand, if you don't like wine, just ask for a recommendation. The service is fantastic, whatever you are feeling will be provided for.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Halalelujah posted:

The don't do pairings really, you can work with the sommelier but you typically buy by the bottle. On the other hand, if you don't like wine, just ask for a recommendation. The service is fantastic, whatever you are feeling will be provided for.

Awesome. Awesome to the max.

I'm going up in mid April, so I'm going to start calling Mid May to get a reservation. I'm hoping something around 730 as it would give me time to get from Newark to whatever hotel I decide on and then time to get to Per Se. Any suggestions for a hotel near there too? I saw Trump has one where Jean Georges is, but I don't know.

LTBS fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 21, 2012

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Halalelujah posted:

No, they have by the glass pairings for the tasting menu. When we went we even had a couple courses that were paired with beers. Either way, they are there to make sure you have the best experience possible so will accomodate anything you want to have.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

ScooterMcTiny posted:

No, they have by the glass pairings for the tasting menu. When we went we even had a couple courses that were paired with beers. Either way, they are there to make sure you have the best experience possible so will accomodate anything you want to have.

Huh, when I went I was under the impression that they didn't do pairings and just got a couple bottles of wine. Looks like I could have saved a bunch of money :(

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Do they do beer pairings? Or was that just for certain dishes?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Halalelujah posted:

Huh, when I went I was under the impression that they didn't do pairings and just got a couple bottles of wine. Looks like I could have saved a bunch of money :(

Probably not, the wine pairing is $200 or so on top of the $295 for the tasting menu.

LTBS posted:

Do they do beer pairings? Or was that just for certain dishes?

It was just for a couple dishes that we had. I was lucky enough to go with a couple Keller employees so we got VIPed to the max and ended up having 19 courses.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Suggestion Request
Dinner style:
Saturday morning breakfast
Willing to spend:
Relatively Cheap, but if it's a really amazing breakfast
Restictions:
None

chefvinny
Apr 5, 2009

Skeesix posted:

Suggestion Request
Dinner style:
Saturday morning breakfast
Willing to spend:
Relatively Cheap, but if it's a really amazing breakfast
Restictions:
None

Ai Fiori does a pretty awesome breakfast....and I do a pretty shameless self-promotion for where I work. Midtown is pretty much all hotels all the time; it's hard to find an independant restaurant which also offers a reliable breakfast.

Edit: Further down on 28th is the Breslin - their breakfast is also quite good.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Has anyone been to black mountain wine house?

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
Sushi of Gari on the West Side or 15 East for dinner for two? We're planning on having a larger lunch so we probably won't go for the omakase, also in the interest of keeping the price down. I'm fonder of more traditional styles whereas the person with whom I am going is a little less adventurous and has so far preferred Western-style rolls, although as either place should be leagues beyond what we've had together in Turkey, Germany, and small-town America perhaps she will be just as happy with the regular stuff if it's really good. I am able to get a reservation at Gari for 7 and 15 East for 8; and we will have lunch at 1 PM at Casa Mono, so the two options would dictate a smaller or larger lunch respectively. So far I have a feeling that Gari might have more options catering to my partner whereas 15 East is likely to be more traditional but also perhaps a little less expensive.

E: I might seem like an idiot going to such places and being concerned about price but I'd really like to experience some fantastic sushi and both of us are fairly light eaters anyway and one of us doesn't even really drink, so I'd be stoked to get away for $200 inc. tip which seems doable at 15 East w/10 pcs. sushi apiece, one small appetizer and one large appetizer to share, and a carafe of warm sake.

e: OTOH, if Gari's online prices are current, the equivalent seems doable there too so long as you stick with a la carte...

cancelope fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Mar 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reserve
Jul 27, 2009

asaf posted:

E: I might seem like an idiot going to such places and being concerned about price but I'd really like to experience some fantastic sushi and both of us are fairly light eaters anyway and one of us doesn't even really drink, so I'd be stoked to get away for $200 inc. tip which seems doable at 15 East w/10 pcs. sushi apiece, one small appetizer and one large appetizer to share, and a carafe of warm sake.

e: OTOH, if Gari's online prices are current, the equivalent seems doable there too so long as you stick with a la carte...

The answer to your problems is Ushiwakamaru. Probably the best sushi in Manhattan, and very reasonably priced. Traditional, but your dining companion will have options. You will get to try new, exciting fish if you want to.

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/ushi-wakamaru

• Locked thread