Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The kids just helped me make this for lunch:

Homemade egg pasta tossed with butter, garlic, and pepper topped with cold roasted chicken left from yesterday.

Four eggs were worked into about 3 1/2 cups of flour, kneaded for about three minutes, rested for 15 minutes, and rolled thin*. It was then rolled into little jelly rolls and cut somewhat thick before dropping into boiling salted water for about 30 seconds.

Cheap as hell and holy poo poo is it tasty.

* I used my Atlas and rolled to setting 6, but have had fine luck with wine bottles.

Edit: And about half of the pasta is still left after we each ate our fill.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

The Rooster posted:

Since this is the "Help! I'm POOR" thread, water is clearly a good choice.

True, but even something like a lowly can of PBR will bring some malt and hops to the party and if there is some inexpensive wine already open and needing to be used up, this is a great way to do it.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

But I have no idea what to do with the onions.

If I have onions I can't use before they go bad, I chop them and freeze them to be ready-to go in anything requiring chopped onions later. It works pretty well.

vvv And onions really do go well with just about anything. Cutting them into un-separated rings and roasting them with some porkchops is pretty good.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 30, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Crap! I just realized that the beef stew thread I bookmarked, which had an amazing recipe, has apparently fallen off the bottom of the board! gently caress, I can't even find the print out of the recipe I had. I'm gonna really miss that stew. :(

I'm looking at it right now, which recipe do you want copied? The O.P., Kenyan?

Edit: About to head to work, have the recipe from the O.P.

CuddleChunks posted:

Upgraded Beef Stew 2.0 - Enterprise Edition
3 lbs stew beef cut into 1" chunks, removed from fridge 1 hour before cooking
4 strips cooked bacon
1lb carrots, chopped into 1/2" medallions
2lb yukon gold potatoes, chopped into 1" cubes
2 big celery sticks, roughly chopped
2 medium Hermiston Sweet onions, roughly chopped
3 cups hot water
Bigass Tbs (1.5Tbps) "Better than Bullion Beef Stock" (equivalent of 1 quart stock)
1/2 6oz can Tomato Paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 Tbs blackstrap molasses
Several splashes Worcestershire sauce
3 lovely Bay leaves
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, flour (for dusting meat)

Directions:
Dissolve the Beef Stock concentrate in the hot water, set aside. Mix the tomato paste, some pepper, wine, worcestershire sauce and the molasses in another dish. It should resemble thick ketchup when done. Crack a bunch of black pepper over the beef, sprinkle liberally with salt (I used Johnny's seasoning salt), sprinkle with garlic powder and then dust with flour. Move the hunks of meat around so that they soak up the residual flour and are lightly dusted. Leave to warm up to room temperature as you chop the veggies and throw them into your favorite bigass crockpot. Chop the cooked bacon into 1/2" wide chunks and throw into the pot along with the veggies.

Now that the veggies are prepped and in the pot, heat up a cast iron or heavy skillet and add some oil. I had bacon grease left over so I used that. Drop handfuls of the meat into the hot pan and sear. My technique was to get most of the pan loaded, cover with a little splash guard (metal mesh thing) and then walk away and do something else for a minute or two. I'd come back, flip the meat over onto its other side with a metal spatula and then walk away for a bit. After another couple minutes of cooking I'd ladle out the meat onto the paper plate you saw on the other burner and toss that into the crockpot. Add a little more cooking grease, reload with meat and then walk away to let it sear.

While the meat was cooking I dumped the beef broth into the pot and fired it up on Low. On top of my first batch of meat I poured the ketchup-like substance and then stirred the whole pot. I figured that most roast meat dishes leave the meat on top and the root veggies down low so I only stirred one batch of meat into the veggies. The rest got poured on top. My bay leaves are cheap as hell and so I added 3 to give the effect of one fancy good bay leav. When finished searing the meat, I put on the glass cover and set the timer for 6 hours. Now to wait.

Cooking is about PATIENCE:
Ugh. Cooking smells are the worst when you are home. For a dish like this, go out and do something like clean your garage or visit a friend or just roam the lands as a warrior monk. Don't sit around playing computer games because this stew needs time to cook and you fiddling with it won't make it work.

Finally, the timer dinged, I gave the pot a good stir and what initially looked like a pile of junk with hardly enough liquid to call itself a stew had transformed thanks to heat and time into this lovely bowl of basic beef stew. It's like magic, only edible!

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 30, 2012

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Don't forget an airlock made from a balloon with a pin hole. Bonus points for leopard print :colbert:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Bomrek posted:

If you learn what time of day your local shops start to put out the discount meat, it becomes viable to swoop in and grab whatever looks good for your supper.

My wife and I do this, but buy a bunch. A few whole chickens for less than a dollar a pound get parted and frozen while the carcasses go in the crockpot overnight to stock-ify with a few veggies. Sausage gets frozen whole/removed from casings and frozen. Leg quarters at the end of big camping weekends for half-price get parted and some of the thighs de-boned. Beef gets prepped for whatever it will most likely turn into and frozen. Use what we have on hand until the next great deal pops up.

Getting friendly with the butcher helps, as well. "Oh, you want to make braised shortribs? We'll have to cut a bunch to be worthwhile, but no one buys them, so have them all and I will tag the package at half-weight." "Here's the pig for your next roast, come in back and I will give you a mixed sixer of micro-brews from partial packs to drink while it cooks."

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

If you are okay with soup and using some wine, I can dig a couple recipes out for you, after work, tonight.

I tend to cook mussels either dry in a covered pan until open, or add some wine while doing so if the wine will be in a sauce, later. Parsley and milder members of the onion clan (shallotts, scallions, maybe some chive), and white beans play particularly well with mussels and I tend to leaves the dishes simple to let tje sweet, briney mussels shine through.

E: Phone posting is a pain in the rear end.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I still stand by Roman, cranberry, beans for pasta e fagioli. It helps that my preferred grocery store usually stocks them, though.

E: My wife just told me that she passed on beef kidney marked down to 75¢ a pound at the store yesterday because it was big and she wasn't sure I would want it. :negative: I've been craving steak and kidney pie lately.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 29, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Rub under the skin with honey/lemon butter and stuff them with pomegranate seeds before roasting.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Neptr posted:

I did my first roasted chicken a few weeks ago and it came out pretty good, wonderfully crispy skin thanks to the butter and salt I rubbed on the skin. Some questions though:
A good part of the neck was still on the bird. Most pictures I see of roasters have the neck removed down to the wishbone. I cut off as much as I could with some shears before cooking. Correct?

What are some "poor good food" things to do with the giblets? Can I freeze the liver for pâté later? I wasn't feeling adventurous so these went in the trash.

Can I still use the carcass for stock even if it's been roasted?

Cut the neck and save for stock, save livers and brown them when you have a few to chop and sprinkle over a thick root veggie stew (potato leek, call your office), gizzards can be saved to fry as a great light meal, and roast chicken carcass makes a great stock and I often prefer it to raw chicken stock.

Also, roast chickens over cubed turnip or rutabaga. I use rutabagas because they are cheaper. They are soooooooo good roasted with chicken fat/drippings all over.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 25, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My wife wanted roast goose for Christmas supper. Fifty bucks for a ten pound bird, gently caress no. :retrogames:

This ham was cheap, things can happen with it, fresh produce, and potatoes from my uncle's garden. Or splurge on sale lobster Christmas Eve :getin:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kale holds up fine to braising in bacon grease and I'm pretty sure the Portuguese would hang you for implying otherwise.

Bitter greens braised with enough fat to coat the pan, toss around before a splash of water and lidding until tender are great.

E: Turnip or rutabega roasted in chicken fat is also awesome. Or roughly chop some broccolini or other peppy green into some clams and white beans with seasoning to taste for an awesom Pepin-inspired ragout.

E2: Make an insane chorizo/pork filled kale soup with red beans and again bow to the mighty Portuguese. Or make Dino's vegan kale soup and realize meat isn't necessary for great veg. dishes.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 22, 2013

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

While roasting like that, I try to make enough for two or three meals and also toss in some beets in a foil covered dish, squash, or bread to get more out of my oven. If I am going to pay out the rear end for propane, I want to milk it. Then we have roast chicken and veg to use for the next couple days. Handy during a busy week.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 6, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Cut some rutebega, or turnip if they are on sale like they are up here right now, smallish and the butter/chicken fat will do amazing things. You may need to foil them over and finish softening them while the chicken rests, though if you cut too big or pack them too deep.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Quick pickle thinly sliced onion/carrot/garlic/salt in wine vinegar, mix with the beans, drizzle with olive oil and serve over your rice.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

It's amazing how expensive pickles are considering how cheap and inexpensive it is to make your own

Really there's some initial cost for good jars and big things of spices but after that you literally boil water and salt, dump it in a jar with spices, and put extremely cheap cucumbers in it.

Yup. And for a quick pickle, just: thinly slice, sprinkle with salt, cover with vinegar, walk away for ten minutes, done. And the remaining salty onion-y vinegar makes a nice vinaigrette/drizzle for beets or something.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A big pot of pasta e fagioli is a great way to get yourself through a tight month. If it gets tedious, freeze some and use it for lunches. And you can tweak each serving a bit with added goodies like shredded roast chicken thigh or whatever later on. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasta_e_fagioli

Or get a Boston butt and make carnitas or pulled pork with it to leave you with a ton of inexpensive and filling protein and calories. Carnitas are as simple as salting the pork and some water and is just a variation of pulled pork that is very flexible to add to stuff through the week: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

And a bag of flour with some yeast will make enough bread to last you the month as sandwiches/toast/can make bread bowls...did you say you have an oven? I can't remember now and can't check your post...anyway, bake this no-knead bread: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-crusty-white-bread-recipe

Some dried beans, cheap meat like chicken thigh or Boston butt, some flour and yeast with the rest of your budget spent on veggies as look good and cheap will keep you very well fed and not bored. A couple limes if you can score them cheap are a great way to liven up pre-roast meat and are handy for a quick dressing or vinegar substitute. And peanut butter. All hail peanut butter when the money crunch really hits. And all other times, peanut butter is great.

E: $49 for a month in Cali. with rice and slow cooker already on hand should be fine for variety for a month without feeling too pinched.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 17, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Nothing wrong with a frivolous treat during a rough month if you don't otherwise starve.

E: make a quiche to last a few days and do you have any oil?

E2: rub the pork roast or half of, roast it and bake some sliced potato in a quick béchamel sauce night one. Leftover pork to pasta the next day.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 18, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

My wife and I have taken to grocery shopping bi-weekly to give us a couple more outdoor days per week and to let us hit the store with more money. Oh, *thing* is on great sale come the weekend, we'll lay in a good bit and have it in the freezer for a while. The rice is running low, we'll get a 20 lb bag next trip. Buying cider and wine vinegar and canola oil by the gallon. Flour 25 lbs at a time. It is nice compared to weekly shopping where cash is tighter and we blow more $/lb on smaller batches of staples. It is working out great, but we will have to set aside a little of the budget for fresh short-life veggies come harvest season. The root veg, hearty greens, and cabbage variations right now are playing great with bulk life in the fridge.

Last trip we focused on vinegar, oil, flour, sugar, peanut butter, and the other baking goodies that were running low.

This trip, we were free to focus on dried beans, tinned tomato/clam/tuna/dairy goods, and some spices.

Next trip will see a Boston butt, rice, dried pasta, carrots because no decent looking bulk carrots in the store this weekend, and the rest of the spices we are getting low on.

Every trip sees the money left after our primary focus (determined by sales and/or need) spent on whatever veg looks good that we can store or prep and freeze. Then a little left for fresh veg. on the off week. A handful of citrus, some aromatic veggies like onion/pepper/celery/garlic get tossed in the cart every trip.

How do you guys structure your shopping? We have a full size fridge/freezer, a large pantry space in the cellar, and a deep freeze to make bulk possible. The nearest grocer with good prices is twenty miles away and this plan saves us gas and bulk staples help keep us from having to pay $tupid locally.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Red bell pepper is cheaper than green here right now and roasted red pepper hummus with a bunch of garlic is awesome.

Speaking of awesome, ribollita, the Tuscan bread and bean soup to use whatever leafy greats/leftover veg./leftover minestrone/stale bread you have:

A half pound of red beans (gently caress authenticity, red beans are great in this and the Portuguese have good taste) soaked overnight and cooked in salted water (3 minutes @high pressure with natural release in my pressure cooker). Then sweat some salted onion, garlic, and celery* in a bit of oil before adding chili flakes, bay leaf, parsley, and whatever herbs you want, then tomato fresh or tinned, greens to wilt, two cups of stale bread torn into small bits, beans and cooking liquid, a bit of rind from a chunk of Parmesan, stock if you are feeling fancy but you don't need it, and whatever other vegetables you may choose. Simmer until the bread breaks down to thicken into a hearty stew. Season w/ salt and pepper to taste before drizzling extra virgin olive oil over the pot as generously as you want.

* If you are smart and lucky enough to have the option of buying your celery with leaves, do so and chop up the leafy end to go in here. They are a wonderful bitter green that not enough people play with and take ribollita from yummy to awesome.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Or dump it in a crock pot before work/bed and pack it when you get home/wake up.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

...see to it that every person has the opportunity to do meaningful work...

Gee, thanks.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mardi Gras?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Ask a manager and they may order some for you if you agree to buy at least a good chunk of the box or are a regular enough customer they know you will eventually buy more.

The tiny local hippie grocer has ordered lapsang souchong for me a few times. No minimum but they always forget to call when it comes in v0v

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Hannaford has also been very good to me*. The manager at a chain is still a grocer who wants to help you with a better supply network and the ability to offer better prices.

* "Beef kidney? Give me three days notice and I'll call when it comes in" "Kimchi, again? We'll start stocking it as people did like the last batch." As examples off the top of my head while unable to sleep.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'd roast the jalapeño until the skin started to char and then blend it in.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Kraut is pretty good in a soup featuring potato and/or pork. Or braised with sausage/apple/onion/potato.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Niemat posted:

I am also now in possession of a giant zucchini someone gifted me! Having never made stuffed zucchini before, I was going to cut the zucchini in half, scoop out the seeds, and cook it on 375, 400 until soft. Meanwhile I'd make the filling, fill the zucchini when done, and then cook it all together for another ten minutes. Does this seem like a solid plan? Or can someone tell me what I should do differently?

I agree with Jacques Pépin that also scooping out enough flesh to this the zucchini boats walls to about a quarter in thick works best. And I like to mince up the flesh I carved out and work it into the stuffing.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Quickly browned liver with caramelized onion and potato is one of the comfortiest comfort foods. Just don't over-cook the liver and it will be fine.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I like liver ground up into meatballs now and then. Or minced into sauces, turned into pâté, or really prepared any way. But I love me some organmeats :yum:

neogeo0823 posted:

Zucchini chat? Lemme link you guys to this: Zucchini Corn Pancakes.

I just finished making these with my daughter using Monterey Jack. It is a wicked solid and kid-friendly recipe, the girl still wants to grate everything in the fridge. They would make a great beer on the deck snack with a nice biscuity pilsner.

Also, any favorite chicory dishes? I've got a head I should use tomorrow and am feeling indecisive.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Julia Child's potato gratin with anchovy (gratin de pommes de terre aux anchois) from Mastering the Art of French Cooking Vol. 1 is pretty great:

It walks a delicious line between gratin and quiche when you use eggs whisked in cream rather than her suggestion that béchamel will also work. I'll probably crank out a scaled batch for Christmas supper as it is easy to pre-prep before things get busy and then slide in the oven when ready.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E: ^^^ Use the beans, they will work fine and dandy :)

I freeze my own corn* when it is 5/$1.00 as it is now and the same for winter squash when in season and cheap after I roast it. And am not afraid to stock frozen spinach/peas/green beans straight from the Grover's freezer. And will frequently prep and freeze bell peppers when cheap to thaw and drain before adding to a trinity or whatever. Frozen veggies are fine, you just need to figure out what works for you - gently caress frozen carrots in the ear.

* With bonus pile of cobs leftover to turn into a few batches of corncob jelly as in the OP in the canning thread. :yum:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Post the recipe please because I don't have that book but I want that pie.

Straight from the source.

It might work okay in a pie shell, but I would leave it as-is. And her estimate of four servings seems pretty spot on as a goodly side to protein and veggie. But I like it standalone after cooling to room temp as a light lunch on the deck.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

CommonShore posted:

What kind of process do you use for prepping and freezing squash?

I just halve and seed a few squash, rub the flesh with salt and oil, roast cut side down in a very hot oven until done, cube out of the skin, and serve. I usually fill the oven with the buggers and the pile-o-leftover gets cubed and packed into freezer tubs for future mashification/addition to quiche/fold into risotto/whatever.

Also, eggplants are everywhere and you all should have been making enough ratatouille to need a change of pace. And being poor, you eat a lot of hummus. Make baba ghanoush and serve with some naan, cucumber slices, and whatever veggies.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Doing that on top of some pasta, tomorrow.

E: I might bread and fry the eggplant rounds before topping with some caramelized tomato slices and sweat the garlic slices in oil to toss with the pasta and give the whole plate a light spritz with vinegar. Might even make homemade tagliatelle rather than use dried pasta.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 5, 2014

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Try it with sweet potatoes instead of regular and add some kale.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

You just use the flowers for wine, eat the greens :colbert:

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Nicol Bolas posted:

...bread would go stale and get chucked after a few days...

But French toast, bread pudding, bread crumbs, croutons, rusks for dipping in peanut butter while hiking, toasts for onion soup, bread sauce, the most delicious and vital ingredient in ribollita, leftover thick ribollita fried into little fritters, and chunks of dried out bread as dog treats. Stale bread is just an excuse to make other cool stuff, don't toss it :(

E: Stuffing! How could I leave stuffing out of the list?

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

^^^ Alton Brown's recipe has served me fine:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/english-muffins-recipe.html

It isn't quite bread dough (although English muffin bread is a glorious thing if you tweak things a tad), is too loose for pizza and the milk may scorch in a hotterthanfuckingballs oven, and is pretty loose and more of a batter than a dough.

You can make English-muffin-shaped mini bread loaves using a salt/flour/water/yeast bread dough that will be a good thing, but English muffins need milk to work its magic with the crumb, sugar to round things out, and a very high hydration to get the texture down and ready to fork open :yum:

The Lord Bude posted:

Once you've made your own English Muffins, you can then make your own hollandaise sauce, and make delicious eggs benedict as a reward for making English Muffins.

This makes for a busy kitchen in the morning but is totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Root veggies and winter squash are great after smoking.