Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

redmercer posted:

I typoed pretty big, up there. He only had the microwave and a fridge. Dude always ate pretty basic, anyway

On a slightly different subject, has anyone else found that the more you pay for instant ramen; the grosser it always turns out to be?

How much are we talking? Nong shim is usually great stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Typhus733 posted:

Does anyone have advice for making carnitas with a slow cooker? I have some pork shoulder I want to make extra delicious and was thinking about braising it in a pan then letting a slow cooker in garlic, diced fresh jalapenos, onion, and some chicken broth but the actual logistics (times and amounts) of it I'm not too sure about. I saw http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/11/homesick-texan-carnitas/ this in this very thread and really wanted to replicate it but lack a sufficiently thick pot and the juices.

Courtesy of goon gizmojumpjet:

http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

I've made it 5 or more times and its always great.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Saint Darwin posted:

How do you get them out of the bags? In my experience everything freezes to ziplocks without cutting and ripping them off. I guess you do that?

After the stock has frozen dip the bag into some cold water and it will release after it begins to thaw

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've seen Mason jar salads on various food blogs--basically you layer a salad inside a Mason jar and seal it with a foodsaver vacuum sealer (requires an adapter) and this allows you to make all of your salads for the week on Sunday.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Spatchcock aka butterflied

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

They only need to last a few days, the things I found online said that dressing in the bottom will be fine? Seemed to make sense for me. I put the cucumbers in second so if anything they'll be slightly pickled, which is fine by me

I just need to not run out the door, I thought about putting it by the front door a few times while getting ready and then totally forgot.

Just put your keys with the food, works erry time. Unless you have a front door where you can lock yourself out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I don't follow the entire recipe but I do like modernist cuisine's technique to bring the meat and bones (if uncooked) to a boil and drain, then add more water and then your aromatics and veggies.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I would let them thaw a bit, remove the wrap and cover with a paper towel while you microwave it

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Leper Residue posted:

That may be my problem. Not really any local or 'indie' grocers near me, all big name franchises. The smaller dudes are all way too out of the way and would just cost too much gas.

Do you have a trader joes in the area?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I've been doing the frozen burrito thing too, has been great with chicken thigh and just OK with eggs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I prefer pressure cooked stock, using one of the tips from MC @ home:

put all of the chicken parts (if raw) into the pressure cooker and cover with water, bring to a boil, drain all of the water and scum that floats to the top. add aromatics, seasonings and fresh water and pressure cook as normal.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Anyone have suggestions for budgeting food? My wife and I are good about cooking most of our meals but really terrible at planning and buying for more than a day in advance of cooking. Planning would help us cut our food expenditures quite a bit but I'm not sure where to start.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Surprisingly enough, serious eats did a test of which chicken parts contribute the most to the flavor of stock:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/how-to-make-rich-flavorful-easy-chicken-stock.html

quote:

Instead of tasting flavorless and washed out, the chicken breast produced the cleanest tasting stock with the most intense chicken flavor. But it also produced the thinnest stock, in terms of body.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rurutia posted:

No idea but this is common in Chinese families and Zojirushi rice cookers have a specific extended warm sitting just for this. Never gotten sick from it personally.

Edit: just wanted to add that there's very specific and obvious smell that accompanies spoiled rice, so that might also be part of it.

Zojis have a setting for up to 24 hours (mine does at least). I find it easier to make additional batches as required instead of leaving it on the countertop for days.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Or red beans and rice (see OP of the cajun thread)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yes, reddit sucks but there is a group just for bulk meal planning if you're looking for ideas

https://www.reddit.com/r/MealPrepSunday/

another suggestion for ideas is BudgetBytes. the author of the blog did a SNAP challenge last year and posted about it, well worth reading over:

http://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/09/feeding-america-snap-challenge/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Haggins posted:

I'm a complete dummy when it comes to growing things. I sometimes buy those potted basil plants at the store, but they always end up dying. I water it but, I don't know, maybe I water it too much? Maybe it's not getting enough sunlight? Either way it doesn't last long.

I live in an apartment that has a balcony, but I don't really get any direct sunlight. I also live in Seattle, so most of the year I don't get sunlight in general. Ideally I'd love to have a set of pots that hand off the balcony railing growing basil and rosemary. Thyme and cilantro would be cool too.

I think you'll have to keep the basil indoors for most of the year in the PNW, but rosemary will grow year round outdoors.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Join the Kansas city barbecue society (kcbs), membership allows you access to restaurant depot. I joined this week and will try it out over the weekend.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lmao you can find cheap Foodsavers on Craigslist every day of the week.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Can you take a cooler or insulated lunch bag?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Filipino adobo
Grilled chicken tacos

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
you could also use an induction single cooker to further cut energy usage for longer cooks

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
the grocery store stuff is cheaper if you are only making enough for dinner for one night for a few people

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fo3 posted:

Who has declared a stigma of MSG? I like things with msg like chicken salt, abc brand chilli sauce and vegeta powder. That still isn't going to be the end of the usefulness of fish sauce, worcestershire sauce or oyster sauce for savoury, salty or richer flavours

there's a huge stigma against MSG in the US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
WinCo, qfc/Fred Meyer/Kroger have good bulk bins for spices