Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Platystemon posted:

I think the premium is too much here.

How likely is it that one DOCSIS 3.1 modem now will be any cheaper than one DOCSIS 3.0 modem now and a DOCSIS 3.1 modem if you upgrade a year later?

Not particularly likely, and with the “3.0 now” strategy, you have money in the bank in the mean time. When you do upgrade, you can put the old modem on eBay or keep it around as a spare.

Also, if your modem breaks and it’s not covered by warranty for whatever reason (say, a lightning strike), you’re out less money.
DOCSIS 3.1 let you pull more bandwidth from a bigger pool right now. And judging from the ol 3.0 hardwares, if you sell the 3.1 modem later to stay ahead of the upgrade cycle (probably not for a while since the 3.1 spec allows bandwdith for up to around 10Gbps) you can still get 60~80 bucks for it and essentially pay only 100 bucks for your modem instead of always being a generation behind.

Get the SB8200 instead
http://shop.surfboard.com/sb8200-surfboard-cable-modem/

Get this to replace your ground block if you are worried about lightning strike
https://www.amazon.com/TII-Technologies-212FF75F225-21-Connector-Lightning/dp/B0016AIYU6/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

You don't want the total available bandwidth to you to be the same as your plan's max speed.

Since the more available bandwidth you have with DOCSIS 3.1, the more likely you will be able to get the maximum speed on your plan at all time. Even during the evening/congestion hours.

With current 96Mhz OFDM channel deployed by Comcast on DOCSIS 3.1, you gain another 800Mbps of leeway on top of 1200Mbps from 32 3.0 downstream channels. Note that the OFDM channel itself can be resized to 192MHz for downstream and SB8200 supports two blocks of this at the same time for DS.

Basically you get 66% increase of available bandwidth to you.

With this in mind. 3.1 should be set for the next few years as they shift more towards multiple giant blocks of OFDM channels that can use frequencies more efficiently. And that it might be a while before things going beyond 1Gbps anyway.

Encrypted fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Sep 26, 2017

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

This is a great deal for anyone who's looking to upgrade/buy their own cable modem to something that should last at least 3~5 years with DOCSIS 3.1

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-MB8600-Certified-Comcast-Communications/dp/B0723599RQ/

Use coupon code MOC12017 to bring it down to $146.94

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ugh where were you last Friday?
I FINALLY got my SB8200 working on comcast literally 20 minutes ago. I don't know if it's worth the $35 to return it and order that. But drat that is a pretty smoking deal.

Be happy that you've got the SB8200 since it's REALLY over engineered :v:

(keep on scrolling and read the posts by xymox1)
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31219835-SB8200-32x8-DOCSIS-3-1-cable-modem-Feedback-and-Results-thread~start=120

The MB8200 is good too. Well designed with no frills.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Paul MaudDib posted:

Which of these tradeoffs does my decision actually force right now?

Keep us updated. I've been eyeing 10Gbps network for home use for a while but it seems there are still quite some way to go before the

- Components in the computer being cheap and fast enough to feed that 10Gbps reliably
- NIC that's cheap and can reliably hit 10Gbps
- 10Gbps switch that's cheap and fanless for home use
- Router that can route at 10Gbps

There were a few new nic/switches released months ago but besides that everything else are still kinda expensive right now. And there seem to be no point to upgrade pieces of it at a time.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Welp

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/05/hackers-infect-500000-consumer-routers-all-over-the-world-with-malware/

quote:

Hackers possibly working for an advanced nation have infected more than 500,000 home and small-office routers around the world with malware that can be used to collect communications, launch attacks on others, and permanently destroy the devices with a single command, researchers at Cisco warned Wednesday.

VPNFilter—as the modular, multi-stage malware has been dubbed—works on consumer-grade routers made by Linksys, MikroTik, Netgear, TP-Link, and on network-attached storage devices from QNAP, Cisco researchers said in an advisory. It’s one of the few pieces of Internet-of-things malware that can survive a reboot. Infections in at least 54 countries have been slowly building since at least 2016, and Cisco researchers have been monitoring them for several months. The attacks drastically ramped up during the past three weeks, including two major assaults on devices located in Ukraine. The spike, combined with the advanced capabilities of the malware, prompted Cisco to release Wednesday’s report before the research is completed.

The actual advisory
https://blog.talosintelligence.com/2018/05/VPNFilter.html

quote:

Hard to protect
Wednesday’s report is concerning because routers and NAS devices typically receive no antivirus or firewall protection and are directly connected to the Internet. While the researchers still don’t know precisely how the devices are getting infected, almost all of those targeted have known public exploits or default credentials that make compromise straightforward.

Antivirus provider Symantec issued its own advisory Wednesday that identified the targeted devices as:

Linksys E1200
Linksys E2500
Linksys WRVS4400N
Mikrotik RouterOS for Cloud Core Routers: Versions 1016, 1036, and 1072
Netgear DGN2200
Netgear R6400
Netgear R7000
Netgear R8000
Netgear WNR1000
Netgear WNR2000
QNAP TS251
QNAP TS439 Pro
Other QNAP NAS devices running QTS software
TP-Link R600VPN

Both Cisco and Symantec are advising users of any of these devices to do a factory reset, a process that typically involves holding down a button in the back for five to 10 seconds. Unfortunately, these resets wipe all configuration settings stored in the device, so users will have to reenter the settings once the device restarts. At a minimum, Symantec said, users of these devices should reboot their devices. That will stop stages 2 and 3 from running, at least until stage 1 manages to reinstall them.

Users should also change all default passwords, be sure their devices are running the latest firmware, and, whenever possible, disable remote administration. (Netgear officials in the past few hours started advising users of "some" router models to turn off remote management. TP-Link officials, meanwhile, said they are investigating the Cisco findings.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm thinking of getting a couple T-Mobile AC1900 routers, but I'm worried about the lastest firmware from Asus apparently loving up the flash and permanently disabling the Ai Mesh features.

Would using Merlin bypass this issue?

Wild card: do the hex edit firmware dump method and install tomato on it instead.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

It's a serious option, check out the giant post in the first reply here regarding how to do it.

https://slickdeals.net/f/9330575-asus-tm-ac1900-wireless-ac1900-dual-band-gigabit-router-59-free-shipping

I actually did it with all the tools/stuff they linked throughout the post and the most time consuming part was to wait for the router to reboot.
Otherwise it's pretty straightforward and only took about 30 minutes.

Also check out tomato's features to see if it does what you want, or else I personally prefers tomato firmware such as the shibby tomato branch due to how stable they are.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

ER-lite and ER-X can definitely do gigabit routing. As long as you are using all the hardware offloaded stuff.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

movax posted:

I might have gotten carried away wanting to VLAN things and seduced by the promise of using UNMS for everything in the future. And spent an entire day researching if I should go full UniFi or stay EdgeMax.

Get the 16 port 150w if you are just going to use them in a single central point.

And sure why not.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

The X does handle gigabit. Make sure your hardware offload is enabled and qos is disabled.

Edgerouter lite and 4 also does gigabit without qos too.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Prescription Combs posted:

Dumb switch keeps the ONT port connected so it doesn't require re-auth when the ATT box is disconnected from the switch.

Do you have to clone any cert or the cloned MAC address is enough?

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Wouldn't a nanobeam ac gen 2 on each end with like 100~200mbps actual throughput be suffice and a lot less hassle?

I mean I'm all for hard wiring anything that doesn't move but sm seems like way overkill in this case as things get cheaper and cheaper.

Encrypted fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 28, 2019

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Whats a good xsense build nowadays? is there a NUC with dual intel NIC that's decent and cheap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Trying to use my existing daisy chained CAT5 to run a wired backhaul for one of my mesh nodes. Found the connection that goes from my kitchen (gateway node) to my bedroom (satellite node). I terminated the wires but I’m getting an open on 1/2 and a short on 3/6. I tried re-terminating both ends but same result.

I feel as if it’s unlikely, but it’s going to suuuuuck if the open/short somewhere in the wall in the middle of a run. I have no idea if it goes to another room first though. I’ll have to pull out my probe and tone tomorrow and check each room.
I wouldn't have much hope for them to not have damaged the wiring if they daisy chained the ethernet cable in the first place.

Someone asked me to help out their recabling at their place during a renovation. I specified something along the line of 'every jack in the room with individual wires feeding into one location in the garage'.

The loving contractor cheaped out and did a daisy chain of cat 6 cable across 5 jacks.

By the time I caught it the walls were pretty much closed. The partially exposed areas are showing the cables being stapled to the stud.

Surprisingly the ethernet based security camera system was done with homeruns but then again few of them doesnt work probably due to stapling.