Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I will admit I haven't read all of this thread, but I scanned it for keywords as best I could and didn't see anything.

I'm looking to lower my Comcast costs by NOT paying them to rent their stupid DocSis 3.0 Cable Modem. I would like to head to like Amazon or somesuch and order a reasonably priced, but reliable/good DocSis 3.0 Cable Modem.

Is there a clear winner in this category? Sub-80 dollars would rock, but sub-100 is doable.

I don't need fancy bells and whistles. Just something that's going to work, work WELL, and you know, not be hamstrung by some dated aspect of it or something.

Appreciate any guidance. Thanks :)

[edit]

I have a Wireless Router (one of those LinkSys WRT54 dealies that works well with Tomato. Just FYI, in case it matters or helps...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Toast Museum posted:

SB6120 has been working well for me.

Interesting. That one mentions a newer model of that line with a link to it. I may go that route. (only a tenner difference. $)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I gave up after 3 days and went "wired" but I still wanted to ask, so I can be better informed:

Bought the most recently released Airport Express Base Station a couple days ago. For the most part, it is 100% amazing. Exactly what I wanted. Prior to that I had a WRT54GL, but had a couple things (like my PS3) Wired.

I have:

1 Apple TV
2 iPhones
2 iPads
1 iMac
1 PS3

Everything INSTANTLY connected, (including the PS3) but a little bit later, the PS3 disconnected. The short version is it was failing to Obtain an IP. I added DHCP Reservations for the PS3 (then for all my devices. I tried using IPs that were in my range, but way up high (like .101) in order to avoid conflicts. I tried renewing leases, etc... What I *SUSPECT* may be happening, although I can't freaking seem to do anything about it, is that my iPhone (or one of the devices) and my PS3 want the same goddamn Address, even though I'm telling them to keep separate ones. And my iPhone always wins. So my PS3 can connect once in a blue moon but then loses it the next time I log in.

Anyway, like I said, I think I'm fine just keeping my PS3 hard wired. But there will come a day when I move or something where I can't wire my PS3 in and will have to rely on Wireless. On that day, I'm going to need to know how to fix this ultimately frustrating situation.

Any ideas or thoughts would be extremely appreciated, of course. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Binary Badger posted:

I dunno, try giving your PS3 a ridiculously high static IP like 10.0.1.253? That always worked for my Canon MG6120 wireless printer.

The Apple devices will more or less want to stay down in the lower boonies.

I did try giving it like 150, 151. No good. It's like both it and my iPhone would not relinquish their desired IPs no matter what.

Whatever, wired it is, for now. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is this an appropriate place to ask about ISP services or is there a better thread for that? I just moved to Seattle and wanted to know about CascadeLink?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

I don't think it's the wrong thread, but have you looked at the DSLReports forums? It's usually a great place to find info, although you have to have a pretty good BS filter.

Thanks. I just looked and maybe I'm
Doing something wrong but can't find any info on CascadeLink in Seattle.

My issue is this: we're apartment hunting and found a really gorgeous brand new building. We're likely going to submit our rental apps today but the building has exclusivity with CascadeLink.

I work from home 5 days a week, bit torrent, use newsgroups and play Ps3 online. I just don't want to get locked into a year of suck. :(

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

I just checked and couldn't find anything on DSLReports either, which is kind of weird (although CascadeLink seems rather local so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise). While searching I did come across the Yelp page, which is extremely positive. Assuming you'll have a direct connection to the ISP you'll probably be fine.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cascadelink-seattle

Thanks. That is somewhat of a relief. I guess my bigger concerns are about bandwidth caps, etc. I have a call in to them and I think I'll just hear from them Monday. Gonna go put down a Rental app & fee today. Wish me luck! :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This may be a silly question but I'm about to buy my first landline phone in many years.

I also have an Airport Express (one of the new ones) for my WiFi.

If I wanted a cordless phone, should I avoid (or gravitate) to any particular types to make sure to avoid any interference? Is that even a thing anymore?

[edit]

While I have you... I just ordered some of those 500Mbps Powerline Ethernet dealies for my new place... Are they good?

Mainly I'm going to use it in a manner that keeps my iMac and my PS3 "wired" so that I can stream/transcode HD.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 3, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Devian666 posted:

For cordless phones look for ones labelled as wifi friendly. Typically these operate at 1.8 GHz (if my memory is correct) rather 2.4 GHz where most wireless sits. At home I have a wireless phone which is on 2.4 GHz but it doesn't cause any apparent problems as I'm hardly ever on the phone.

Powerline adapters are as good as the quality of the wiring in your home. Newer the wiring the better typically. YMMV.

I've streamed media to my PS3 wirelessly without any issues (yes in HD). HD doesn't take up as much bandwidth as people think but I have a good connection as the PS3 is only a few meters from the wireless router.
I will look for those phones. I work from home so it's important I don't have any problems.

Well good news then. I'm moving into a space-age new condo literally finished being built in July. Yay.

I tend to have issues when going wireless with my Mac & PS3 because I stream and Transcode. *shrug*

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Devian666 posted:

Any transcoding I have going on happens over wired connection. It's usually only the stream directed at the PS3 that involves wireless. I've moved on to using an ATV instead and that has better wireless performance than the PS3 anyway.

So if you consume a lot of videos or whatnot, and they tend to be in MKV, do you have an app that can transcode+stream to the ATV2 or are you converting by hand?

I love the idea of using my ATV2... but I haven't found an "easy" way to do it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Unsolicited review:

(Full disclosure, I'm in a very new building)

I got the TRENDnet 500Mbps Powerline Ethernet thingies. (Use your wall-sockets to run ethernet)

Wired Speed: ping: 8 Down: 24.8 Up: 3.26

Wifi Speed: ping: 8 Down: 24.9 Up: 3.42

Powerline Ethernet Speed: Ping: 9 Down: 24.92 Up: 3:37

Just if anyone cared or was wondering... :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone with the GoPro and the WiFi backpack, the GoPro app FINALLY hit today. Only like 7 months late. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I've officially got a bonkers problem...
I just moved into our new apartment and its a BRAND new building (finished in July.) It's a nice building, too. Not crappy.

Well I plug my iMac in and go wireless. All is well. When I use my TRENDnet 500Mbps Powerline Ethernet... about 5 minutes into usage my circuit breaker trips. Flip it, power on... Same thing.

Go back to wireless... no more tripping. Any thoughts? Anyone ever even HEARD of this or had it happen?

It worked ok in a 30 min test in my last building.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

How many amps is the breaker? You might just need a bigger one (although I wouldn't think those adapters would pull all that much). Have you tried using plugging it into different outlets to see if the same problem occurs?
Not yet. Just started unpacking last night. Will investigate...(both ideas)

Is the breaker amperage something I could modify simply enough at Home Depot or am I just stuck with what I got?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

EC posted:

Generally you can just change the breaker out, but if you're in an apartment you might not be able to.

Looks like it's a 15 amp. (I'm assuming thats what the 15's 20's and 30's on all the switches are.)

Probably can't swap it out, I guess? I mean... how do you even do that? And is that not kosher as a renter? (I'm assuming the reason the living room Powerline Ethernet *input* didn't trip that breaker is it's a 20 or a 30. )

Hard to say, the labels are a little generic as to what circuits are what...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Devian666 posted:

Before you go changing breakers is that all that you plugged in? Are there any high power consumption devices like heaters on the same circuit? I'm asking this because I don't want you to set your apartment on fire.
I'll investigate what else may be on the circuit but as for what I had plugged in in that room was nothing more than my iMac, an external HDD and the Powerline Ethernet dongle.

The dryer may have been running... When I get off the toilet I'll see if its on the same circuit or not. Honestly it's possible the little bedroom wall heater thing (strip near baseboard) is on that circuit... But it wasn't on.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Devian666 posted:

I noticed that there was discussion in relation to the circuit breakers tripping. It's worth getting an electrician in to make sure the circuit isn't overloaded and then try changing the circuit breaker to one of the same rating but without the tripping problem.

I'm not recommending going to a higher rated circuit breaker as that won't necessarily address the problem and it gives an increased chance of electrical fire, then the risk of the insurance company finding out the wiring was non-compliant (something that I've advised loss adjusters of post fire).

So confirm it's AFI or GFI and then (if given the blessing) try swapping to the other?

I may do that. Or I may just suck it up and decide that WiFi streaming from my mac to my PS3 is as good as it's going to get.

Thanks for taking the time to talk to me about such a random (and kind of fringe-off-topic) issue. :)

You, too, EC & Danza. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Going to go get an AirPort Extreme tomorrow to " go with" my (this gen.) Airport Express.
Gonna make the extreme my wireless router and keep the express to boost signal/expand coverage.

This can be do e moderately easy, right?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Possibly random question, but recently I expanded my Airport network to start with an Airport Extreme and be "repeated" by an Airport Express.

I used to stream from my Mac (PS3 Media Server) to my PS3. My PS3 is wired to the Airport Extreme. My Mac was wireless in the other room. It pretty much streamed fine.

Now, after "repeating" with the Airport Express, I have noticed quite often (but not always?) The thing I am watching pauses, and just can't be unpaused. It just kinda stops...

It may be unrelated, but honestly that's the only thing that's changed recently that I know of...

Any thoughts?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

calandryll posted:

Have you updated PS3 Media server lately? I had a problem with it working for me for awhile, both PS3 and desktop were wired. I've switched the Universal Media Server, a branch of media server, and it's been working a lot better for me.

I will give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion.

I updated PS3 MS to the latest version ( mine was 2 months old) and no pauses yet though...

Still gonn try Universal MS...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Red_Mage posted:

If you have a 64 bit computer and want to use more than 1 gig of RAM with UMS, you'll need 64 bit java. Its pretty solid with it though.

Sorry to play be ignorant here, but I have a mac that I am pretty sure is 64bit. Are you saying I should download Java but in 64bit? How can I check easily to see if I already even have that?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So recently my wifi signal icon would stay on my iPhone as full but I'd have no internet service. I blamed ios8 (and maybe that is partly to blame.) but also with Yosemite safari on my Mac got loving slow.

Just now my iPhone stopped responding to Internet despite having full icon. At the same time my ATV3 stopped streaming a show off my Mac.

So now I'm actually wondering if it's my AirPort Extreme ( or Express [running as a repeater]). I've power cycled everything. Are there any other ways to diagnose if it's either of my routers?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Im starting to have some trouble with my wifi in a room served by an Airport Express that is wirelessly set to Bridge mode from my Airport Extreme (which is connected to my modem.)

I am going to do a factory reset on the Express and was looking over/noting the settings.

I don't know why but I got stuck on seeing that DHCP was on but Bridge mode was on. Do I want DHCP on in my Express (repeater) when Bridge mode is on?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

e.pilot posted:

No the main AirPort Extreme will handle DHCP, the express is solely a wireless access point.

Sorry to be totally anal and dense... So what you're saying is, if the Express is in bridge mode I should turn off DHCP there, yea? (On the express)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone here use a VOIP like Vonage? (A little box that connects to ethernet and then a phone line comes out of it where I plug my phone into.)

Annnnnyway, I use that for business. My home office is presently set up in a way where all my work poo poo is right where the internet comes in the house. Easy peasy.
We just bought a house (closing today, in fact.)

Where I want to put my office is a nice spot BUT it's not too close to the place the internet enters the house (and thusly where the modem/router go, and thusly where my Vonage plugs into for my phone.)

Do these things work over wifi? (I googled a bit but can't tell..)

If not, any clever ideas for how to simply hardwire? Powerline Ethernet? (I've always been a big fan but the last 2 places I rented they would trip breakers, so I'm gun shy.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

mlnhd posted:

When I used Vonage, I was able to plug it into a phone jack. After that, all of the other phone jacks in the house were connected to Vonage. If you do this, you also have to unplug the phone line from the box outside your house (or wherever it comes in from the local phone utility).

A good suggestion but neither Coax nor phone jacks are in that room, sadly.

Looks like Powerline Ethernet is my only option. Are there some good, speedy, hopefully-not-too-expensive options that might work also for my PS4? (Speed wise)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not sure the signal will reach from where the Vonage base would be. I can test that though. Still interested in Powerline Ethernet suggestions for my PS4. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CrazyLittle posted:

Renting or buying? House or apartment?

Buying. House. Got plans to do up the internet nicely one day but I work from home so I need to be up and running asap and there are bigger priorities for money in these early days.
The finished basement is all concrete though so I can't get clever with wall ports too easily.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CrazyLittle posted:

VoIP is not going to like wifi, and concrete won't let wifi signals through anyways so you're going to have to get a cable into that space no matter what. If you're just looking for temporary you can get something silly like some bulk cat5 cable and crimp some ends on it, or buy a suitably long network cable pre-made. Once you're ready to do things properly, there a plenty of ways you can install proper wall jacks and cabling in that space using cable channels, crown moulding etc to hide the wires.

If you get powerline adapters, you may want to verify what brand/model of circuit breakers you're using between your home office space, and the space where the internet comes into your house. I have (Siemens?) AFCI breakers in the spare bedroom where I wanted to test out powerline networking, and the powerline network signal caused a bunch of wacky problems: the coat closet motion-sensor light would stay constantly on, and the circuit breaker for one or both of the rooms would trip. Of course, if you have to stick with powerline, you can replace the AFCI breakers with newer ones that don't mangle the signal or falsely trip.

Thanks for the good advice! I took a picture of the breaker box today when I was over there. Is there a way to tell what breakers are what?

[Ed] not sure if this helps?

Feenix fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 9, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CrazyLittle posted:

The good news is that you have zero AFCI breakers. The bad news is that's totally not up to electrical code, heh.

Oh. :/ well
I can get to remedying that soon. I plan to. We move into it next week. But in the interim, you think I'm a good candidate for Powerline Ethernet?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CrazyLittle posted:

I won't tell if you don't. Just don't stick a fork in the wall? There's no penalty nor incentive for homeowners to upgrade their breakers unless you hire an electrical contractor to do work on your wiring. As far as I know it's on the contractor/repairman to protect their license from NEC penalties.

Yes, powerline should work "fine"... well as good as "fine" gets for powerline ethernet goes.

Thanks for the info. I'll steer this back to thread topic with this last question. What is "fine" for Powerline Ethernet? Is it better than "shifty wifi signal" or "halved repeater speeds"? :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CrazyLittle posted:

Should be better than any wifi repeater: http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-powerline-networking-kit/

Nothing holds a candle to actual gigabit-compatible cabling though.

That'll come later. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CrazyLittle posted:

Oh yeah, I finally got my order of UAP-AC-Pro-5pk, and installed them throughout my house. AC wifi is pretty :coal:

Are these like, replacements for my AirPort Extreme or just extensions? Just bought a new house and looking for good solutions but we're an Apple house so I love the ease of the Airport Extreme.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

CrazyLittle posted:

Airport Extreme is a router + WiFi access point built into one. They're great and fine and all, but if you put your AEBS next to your cable-modem/dsl-modem/fiber-drop then it's probably not in the middle of where all your wireless devices will be used. If you stick it in the basement or in a cupboard, then your wifi signal has to pass through every obstacle between it and your device, and likewise in reverse your device has to beam all the way back.

You solve this dilemma by untying your WiFi APs from the router, and you put the APs where all your devices go. Ubiquiti happens to be one particular vendor of access points that are: 802.11AC wifi, cheap, and centrally managed. I placed an order for a 5-pack back in September for a 5 pack of UAP-AC-Pro units, which are dual band access points with 3x3 MIMO on 5ghz channels. They arrived this week. I installed one in my living room, one in my office, one in my garage, and one in a back bedroom.

You could totally do the same thing with a bunch of Airports. It would just be really expensive, and you'd have to configure each one individually, and Apple's AEBS tools suck balls for advanced config.

Thanks for the esplainin'. For clarification, does having multiple Ubiquities halve your speeds or do you mean each one stems from a hard wired drop?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Trip report on my Zyxel. (Powerline Ethernet) I'm 2 days into my new home (and I'm loving exhausted!!!) and I just set up my Zyxel. It shows green on the home plug button but if I do "anything" networky I get flashing orange (not red).

I think that indicates 20-80Mbps. In practice my iMac gets about 30 down when using it. iMac on Wifi gets like 110. Hopefully the 20-80 range is sufficient for my Vonage VOIP and PS4.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is it more or less safe to assume that if I've been reusing my random-rear end Ethernet cables for some time now that they may be holding back my speeds, (likely not 5e)?

Is there a way to identify?

Also I'm assuming the Zyxel Powerline Ethernet I bought came with cables that were up to the task of its max speed, yes?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just meant a lot of my cables may be a decade old. My devices are newer and may take advantage of faster speeds than cat5 can pass through...

Who knows, though...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Eletriarnation posted:

Oh - yeah, that's fair. Gigabit can run over regular Cat5 but depending on wear, length and termination may drop down to 100M if it's not working right. Does your desktop (or whatever you're connecting over cables) autonegotiate to 1G though?

I don't know. I just know I have a recent AirPort Extreme, a brand new iMac, Atv4, etc and am just using "Ethernet cords from the cable drawer..."

May be worth investigating. :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hey thread! Hoping you can help me... (At the very least figure out how to narrow down what my issue is so I can attempt to resolve it.)

I just moved into a new house. The benefit here is my sb6141 modem is wired into the cable internet (Comcast) and feeds into my AirPort Extreme (not the new tower, the slightly older model). My ATV4 is 18 inches away on wifi. My iMac (5k) is under 10 feet away on wifi (there is a wall/door but it's always open.)

Ok so: sometimes I get bad speeds. I do a speed test on my ATV4 and iPhone and see I'm getting absolutely godawful speeds. Sometimes Netflix shits the bed even if speeds test great. Sometimes Plex on my ATV4 (being fed from the iMac nearby) stalls out or buffers a poo poo ton and speeds look good.

I am trying to determine if it's Comcast (I've dealt with tier 2 and they say everything looks good.) but even if it was Comcast that the wouldn't affect my serving media from my iMac to ATV right? That's internal network stuff. So then I start wondering if it's my modem or Airport Express.

Anyone ever had similar woes or have some sagely advice? I just don't know how to find the culprit, for starters.
Thanks for listening.... :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm actually in a free standing home in a very "old person" cluster of houses so I actually am confident I'm probably in the least congested wifi area I've ever lived in.

I will try the router reset thing but the rub is that it sorta fixed itself after about 3-5 minutes anyway. So that may never tell me anything... :)