Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

the numa numa song posted:

Any recommendations for modem? Something without a borked chipset? Relatively future proof?

I've been happy with my Arris SB8200, maxes out my gigabit xfinity connection no problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

movax posted:

Do those guys typically patch drywall and things? I’m hitting the limit of what I think is possible running my own cable without just sucking it up and cutting big rear end holes in drywall + pulling floorboards. I’m at the point of removing can lights to get ceiling access and using a bore scope to scout where things are and I can’t imagine contractors that want to maximize jobs per hour would want to deal with any of this.

I had a low voltage tech come out to give me an estimate for running some additional drops. He said that I would need to get somebody else in there after him to do the drywall work.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

hooah posted:

I'm looking to set up a nice network in my house. I'm planning on putting the ISP's gateway, my gateway, and a 5-port PoE switch in a closet. I'll definitely have four drops, two with access points. I built a Ubiquity cart with
    UniFi Dream Machine
    USW Flex Mini
    UniFi In-Wall Access Point x2

Is this a reasonable setup? The ISP's ONT would have to connect to the switch via one of the in-wall APs since I don't think AT&T will very conveniently change the location of their equipment.

I found the signal from the In-Wall units was a lot worse than the FlexHD's, I ended up returning the In-Wall APs. I liked the aesthetic of them and not having to stick a big thing on the wall, but the signal from the FlexHD was just so much better. Otherwise, it sounds good to me. Are you adding these drops? If I could do ceiling drops I would probably rather have a ceiling mount APs.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

hooah posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by the AT&T copper, but I can see that maybe it wouldn't work to have anything between the ONT and their gateway. Could I put their gateway next to the ONT, then go out their gateway to the Dream Machine?

I would think that should be fine

quote:

How good of a wireless AP is the Dream Machine? I might be able to get away with one in-wall unit plus the Dream Machine if I put that in the same place as the ONT and AT&T's gateway.

As for ceiling drops, they'd be easy upstairs because of the attic, but probably not so much downstairs.

The wireless in the UDM seems pretty good, definitely better than the in-walls from my experience

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

movax posted:

I'm doing a MiniPC co-lo at EndOffice — not super expensive, and you can do a pretty good build in something like an ASRock DeskMini. I posted a bit about it in the Packrats thread, but basically I threw in a spare/used Comet Lake i7, 64 GB of RAM, ESXi and 2x 7.68 TB SATA SSDs. Plenty of storage, bandwidth and processing power to do everything needed in a colo.

Running pfSense,, TrueNAS and Fedora as VMs, and thinking I'll use WireGuard for a site-to-site VPN between my home (EdgeRouter 4) and that box.

Never heard of a MiniPC co-lo! That is pretty cool. I wish one was available on the west coast!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sneeing Emu posted:

No it was built in the 80s. We actually had someone from the cable company come out and test all of the connections recently, and he verified that they all worked. I may have to get them to come back out and verify that they're connected to the same splitter.

Sometimes they will leave them disconnected if you are not using that connection. Might be able to save yourself some hassle and pop open the panel outside or wherever it is and see if any are disconnected.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Does AT&T fiber throttle torrent traffic? I think somebody in the thread mentioned Verizon FIOS does. I would assume AT&T does as well?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Zenzirouj posted:

Sorry if this got covered in the recent discussion but it didn't look like higher speeds (~1gig) were covered. I've been using an SB6121 for 5ish years now and just realized that it's capping out at ~170mb. I figure I should just go ahead and make the jump to gig-speed since it's probably just a matter of time before that becomes fairly standard. That said, I'm not seeing much at that level, mainly just the SB8200 which would be fine speed-wise, but which seems to have some bad reviews.

Are there any good/reliable modems that y'all would recommend around the gig speed realm? If choosing between going higher or lower I'd probably go lower, since I don't really NEED the speed, I just want to be able to more effectively use the speed that I have. The $150 that the SB8200 is currently at on Amazon would be about as high as I would want to go.

Thanks!

I've been very happy with the SB8200. I replaced a Netgear CM1000 for the Arris since the Netgear was going offline every night for 5 minutes, some ISP firmware bullshit. Haven't encountered the issue with SB8200, it has been rock solid.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

KKKLIP ART posted:

Cool. Trying to find out if I can get some rack ears for it since it isn’t nativity rack mountable or if I just want to pony up and get the 16-150, ditch my unmanaged desktop 16 port and save 1U worth of space on the soon to be purchased rack.

Once most of your network is on Unifi gear you'll probably want to ditch the unmanaged switch anyways :D

If you are like me then you will smile every time you open the closet and see the racked one, all nice and tidy.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm entertaining the idea of colocating a 1U server to replace my current leased server. In order to have secure access to IPMI I suppose I'll need to purchase another 1U for a firewall/vpn. Seems like it'd be kinda odd though since network ports seem to always been on the front of the unit, and I'm assuming they wouldn't runt two cables from the front of my firewall to the back of my server. Is there a better way to be going about this? Since the server I'm looking at isn't very deep maybe I can stick an edgerouter lite on the rear end of it somehow?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

unknown posted:

Unless you are doing something really weird a vps is generally the better way to go.

But that being said, with the number of used servers on the market that companies are dumping in mass quantities, you can definitely get some deals and there are a few older colos that are losing customers/gear, so are desperate to fill with anything.

VPS doesn't seem as cost effective for my use. I'm looking for something with 12+ cores, 64GB RAM, 1 Gbps unmetered, and at least 16TB of storage. The storage is where it seems the VPS route becomes too expensive. I've had my current (leased) dedicated server for 6+ years (and others for the 10 years prior to this one) so I'd be willing to put in some upfront investment to plan for the future. If I buy my own hardware then I can break even after a few years (vs. my current lease) and then after that it'd be saving me some $.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shumagorath posted:

How bad is Ethernet over coax / the adapters? I have a good run of cable that I could rip up and replace with Cat6, but since it's already there....?

I've had a good experience so far with the Actiontec adapters. Able to max out my gigabit connection with no issues so far (few months)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

IndianaZoidberg posted:

What's the latest recommendation for a modem for Comcast/Xfinity? Still a Motorola Surfboard? I bought an ASUS CM-32_AC2600 about 6 months ago, and while it's not bad, it will lock up when I'm trying to use too many simultaneous connections. Probably because it's a modem and router in one. I think its time to finally separate the two

For gigabit I am assuming?

There was some related discussion a few pages back: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3442319&pagenumber=554&perpage=40#post512441382

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I really wanted the in wall AP's to work for my setup but I ended up returning them for FlexHD's, the coverage and speed from my testing was just so much better. Not sure if any others in the thread have had a sub par experience with them.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I've been directed here! Quick question for y'alls; i got a combo cable modem/router from cox (isp) Netgear AC1900 C6300BD.

I'm looking to drop my equipment rental fee by purchasing a cable modem for the house. I was briefly advised against cable modem/router combos.

So what would be some good options? Anything to get me along the right tracks. It's a 4 bedroom house with some odd walls and hallways making wifi a bit spotty in the kitchen and room 4.

What's your cable internet speed? Any ethernet ports around the house? How much ya willing to plunk down to improve the wifi situation?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

This doesn't seem all that bad to me

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

KozmoNaut posted:

Advertising. In your network management.

It is intensely bad. It's on the level of Samsung sneaking advertising into the channel guide and selection screens on their TVs, just massively making GBS threads on their paying customers.

E: Read the thread. They're brazen enough to call it "not an ad, more like a new look", for something that steals 1/3rd of the screen space for advertising.

I'm glad I went with Mikrotik instead of Ubiquiti.

It's not some random third party ads though, which would certainly be egregious. Yeah it's certainly not ideal but at least it's just ads for other Ubiquity products in the space of the UI where features from that product would normally be

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

movax posted:

They have some loving product managers there that are hell bent on driving the reputation into the ground. Apparently all of the good engineers left awhile ago, and they to me more or less appear to have the majority of their developers be mediocre web devs and then a smaller group of people working with MediaTek and Qualcomm on the actual AP software.

EdgeOS seems OK...for now.

e: Oh, loving neat (https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/03/whistleblower-ubiquiti-breach-catastrophic/)

For me, it's loving Protect that makes me even tolerate the SSO / cloud aspect of it -- otherwise, I have local accounts setup on my Cloud Key (I think with the most recent update, they 'merged', but I still have a local account I can auth with) and I have NextDNS kill off the DNS queries to trace.svc.ui.com or whatever.

Ok now that's definitely something to be mad about. God drat that is terrible.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hutzpah posted:

This makes a lot of sense. All of the blog posts and how tos on the internet seem to be written by professionals who apply their professional stuff to their home set up. Kind of like if every recipe on the internet was written by a professional chef. A lot gets lost in translation for me due to the skills gap.

In summary now it seems like I need the following things:

16 port switch
16 port patch panel
A wifi mesh system with 3+ units (the google one looks good)
16 ethernet jump wires for switch to port

And I can get rid of my current router

Am I missing anything?

I don't think the Google mesh wifi system supports wired backhaul

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Ffycchi posted:

Alright I have a fun one:

Usw-8-60 -> uap-flexhd
Works wired.

Now if I try to insert a switch between them(I've tried two switches with pie injectors and without) the switches don't work.

If I run a Poe injector inline on the flexhd it works, but the switch won't come on. Just passes through..and only powers it doesn't pass the network through.

I've tried every which possible way to get the EITHER of the switches working and they don't. Even putting the switch with nothing connected to the usw8 won't power them...the gently caress is going on?
. the line can power the flexhd but not the switches? Not even poe injector working....I'm at a loss here.

I read this like 3 times and I don't really understand what you're asking

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Rexxed posted:

God drat, one of my clients reached out to let me know their wifi was slow to barely working. Yep, the cloud controller turned on wireless uplink with the update to version 6. Luckily they don't have much infrastructure using wifi, just personal phones and a laptop or two.

Yup noticed the same at my parents place the other day. It's the "enable mesh" setting on the AP right? I disabled it since they both APs they have are wired. They have a UDM & two FlexHD's.

I don't even see that setting on my Cloud Key Gen 2 w/ FlexHD's though, thought I was running the latest version 6 stuff already too.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Already got the keystone plate on there and a terminated cable, just need a little keystone coupler like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Poyiccot-Keystone-Connector-Ethernet-Extender/dp/B06XDF18P8/

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
With Unifi how do I make sure somebody can't unplug one of my devices and plug in their own to get on the LAN? I thought I could use the MAC address filter set at the port level, but when I added the MAC address of the access point plugged into that port, it seemed like it blocks all the traffic coming from all the different MAC addresses connected to that AP.

This physical access to the port level security is definitely overkill for my use case, but it seemed like something that should be doable so I figured why not.

I was thinking maybe I could set the port profile to the VLAN the access point uses, so at least they go to my "insecure" VLAN if they plug into where the AP is plugged in, but does this screw anything up if both the network the AP is configured to use is set to the VLAN as well as the port profile the AP is plugged into is also the VLAN?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Biowarfare posted:

Isn't this logical, though? If you want port security, you want the ability to block someone from plugging in whatever they want into that port => you have to selectively allow every single device you have.

That includes anything bridging onto the network, AP or switch. What is the point if you allow a switch through as a whole and someone just unplugs one of your things on the switch and plugs in their own?

Yeah it does make sense it would work like this. Maybe a better way to go is set the port profile on those ports to the "insecure" VLAN and then use firewall rules to limit access to the "secure" VLAN. That way yeah you can plug in whatever, but it still won't be able to talk to my NAS or Desktop until I explicitly allow it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PageMaster posted:

Thanks for the help, was able to get a keystone coupler for dirt cheap local but they only have cat 5e couplers. The lan cable is cat 6, and I don't have gigabit internet; is it worth hunting around different Lowes and home Depot stores to find a cat 6 coupler for 10 bucks or will that literally make no difference?

Edit: not with losing sleep over 8 bucks in your link. I'll just get the cat 6 two-pack.

Unless you are doing multi gig or super long runs I don't think it makes a difference, but if the cable behind it really is cat6 it's nice to have the label on the wallplate consistent with it

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Am I overloading my USG-3P? I finally got around to setting up separate VLANs to segregate my devices and ever since the network performance has been wonky. I ended up with 3 VLANs, half a dozen LAN IN rules, and a couple LAN LOCAL rules. About ~100 clients total on the network. Threat management & DPI is disabled. Hardware offload is enabled. I was thinking this is a pretty simple setup that shouldn't be causing this thing to choke?

Speed test runs OK some of the time from a VLAN machine (950 Mbps / 40 Mbps) but then I'll get one that runs at like 10 Mbps. File downloads via HTTPS or SFTP are dog slow (0.5 - 1.0 Mbps). Same performance issues on a machine on the default LAN as well (not one of the new VLANs). USG CPU is < 5% though and memory is < 25%. Everything seemed fine before I created the VLANs & firewall rules. Something doesn't seem right.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 29, 2021

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I tried disabling all the firewall rules and disabled the new VLAN networks I created (seems that can only be done in the new settings UI) but the issue remains. Hmmm. Maybe need to try connecting directly to the modem now to see if the performance issue is something upstream.

iperf from one machine on a VLAN to another on that VLAN works fine, getting 940 Mbps.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 29, 2021

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Now everything is working fine, and I have no idea why. Yesterday I power cycled my modem, USG, and switch and the issue persisted. Just now I unplugged the ethernet cable between the modem & USG and plugged it back in, and now I'm getting full download speeds again. Same public IP as before.

edit: Seems like maybe I'm not alone with weird unexplained performance issues on the USG-3P: https://community.ui.com/questions/USG-Slow-Internet-Throughput/25fa6967-cbbe-4c87-94ff-bf48dafc3e84?page=7

fletcher fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 29, 2021

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Any recommendations for a 10 Gbps PCIe x4 NIC?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

FancyMike posted:

I have two Mellanox ConnectX-3 MCX311A-XCAT. ~$35 on ebay (+ whatever you need in sfp+ modules / cables) and they just worked for me in win10 and esxi.

Wow that's a lot cheaper than some of the other options I've been looking at, thanks for the suggestion. This thing will be right next to the switch so I can just DAC to it. I hate ebay but hard to say no to that.

I just got to test my 18 year old in house cat5e wiring for multi-gig for the first time to see how it'd do (I think it's a ~70ft run or so). Unifi shows it as 10G and Windows shows it as 5G, iperf less than that:

Glad to see it was at least the 2 Gbps I need for fiber!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gyshall posted:

I have a bunch of Unifi POE devices using their AF Poe injectors.

Is there a single Poe injector that I can use to replace the six or so I'm using now? Any recommendations from goons here would be great.

What are all the POE injectors plugged into? Sounds like you just need a POE switch with enough ports, then you can ditch all the injectors. I'm using the USW-16-POE for this.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

KingKapalone posted:

I need help troubleshooting a slow network experience my friends and I had at a LAN party I hosted. It was the first one I've hosted at my new house and current network setup, but I've hosted many in the past without issue. I have Comcast gigabit (1200 down/35 up) and the network was pfSense router (HP t730) to 8 port switch to 16 port switch where the ~12 PCs were setup. Some people were using wifi. We had no issues if we were just playing locally, but any game with almost any number of people playing online resulted in lots of rubber banding or big freezes in game. We were even still having issues when it was just 3 of us left at the house playing with two randoms online against bots in Heroes of the Storm. Speedtests and downloads were fine.

Is the 35 Mbps upload speed making this not possible? In the past that's never been an issue. We even had a LAN at a cabin last year with horrendous internet. Updating/downloading games was impossible, but we were able to play online without issue.

My normal network config doesn't include that 8 port switch, but I had to swap that in to get the right number of ports. I thought maybe it was doing something bad, but that probably would have affected the local games too. I don't really know what to look for or how to recreate this unless I get people back over here. I want to figure it out before the next one obviously. Thanks for your ideas.

Ahhh network issues while hosting a LAN, my nightmare! I would think 1200/35 should be fine as long as you don't have multiple people streaming on twitch or something. I would have thought the HP t730 would be the culprit, but maybe not if you were still having issues with just 3 of you gaming. So my next guess would be that there is a bad network cable, maybe between the switch and the router? I'm not even sure if it can cause symptoms like that though... no idea what else it might be. Definitely curious what others in the thread think!

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

KingKapalone posted:

I'll have to remember what cable I was using for the router to 8 port switch since that would be the first lifeline that was different. The cable from the modem to the router didn't change. What type of point to point testing should I do? I'd say the torrenting thing would be a common culprit but I don't think any of my friends to that and even when it was 3 of us at the end it was still happening.

I'd probably start with an iperf running between your router and gaming rig, make sure it's able to saturate the 1 Gbps. Though if your speedtest was fine during the LAN despite having problems, it sounds like the iperf will probably be fine...Hmmm

Also trying to think of how you could try and reproduce the issue for troubleshooting before everybody comes over again. I was thinking maybe a bunch of VMs running some simple multi-player game? Could be a lot of work to find out it's not even the right setup to be able to reproduce it though.

In addition to the torrenting, automated backups would be another thing to look out for. Real time traffic stats of the network could be handy for debugging, but again that would only be at the point everybody is over and having problems. Do you have any QoS configured on the router?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Why are my downloads going so slow all of a sudden? I've got a dedicated server in LA (I'm near SF) and when I initially set it up I was able to hit 95MB/s downloading from it. For the past couple weeks my downloads from this server top out at 1.2MB/s though. Running speed tests locally max out my gigabit connection, and running speed tests on the server also max out that gigabit connection. Just luck of the draw with routing along the way?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Biowarfare posted:

what do your traceroutes and mtrs look like? multithreaded?

My slow download issue is single threaded, via sftp as well as https.

Well that's not looking too good :(

Is that what it looks like when a host oversells?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Does changing DNS provider give any different results? If that's an option, of course.

I tried changing the DNS of my home network from Google to Cloudflare, getting similar slow download speeds though. I don't think changing the DNS of my server would affect it right?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Biowarfare posted:

if this is a sfh ask comcast about their 3gbps down 1gbps up ftth plan for $300, it's called gigabit pro on the rate card and no first-line agent knows it exists and will think you are referring to the 1000/5 cable plan

I'm in the process of doing this. I got it going by submitting a thread on their subreddit, this is hooked up with their ticketing system and they actually seem to know what you're talking about when you say Gigabit Pro and I was contacted the next day by the Gigabit Pro team: https://www.reddit.com/r/Comcast_Xfinity/comments/nflkjc/gigabit_pro_availability/

They pulled city permits and ran the fiber from the curb to my home (no digging required!). Now I've got a big spool of fiber hanging up in my closet waiting for the next steps. I'm not really sure what the city permits were for, maybe there is something they still need to do in the street

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

raditts posted:

Hoping this is the right place to ask about this, my house is wired up with cat5 by the previous owner / builder who lived here 10 years ago but I've never bothered with terminating the cables that are behind various wall panels because wifi was sufficient. But since it's the future now and the wifi signal's not strong enough through my house I want to finish it so I can get wired connections throughout my house, I'm just not entirely sure what I'm doing.

Here's where the cables all converge in the basement, I suspect more of the wires need to be connected here, but also a lot of what I've googled up suggests that I should get a switch and terminate the cables to plug into it. What's the best move here?

Echoing what others have said, rip that out and get a new patch panel. At the very minimum you'll want to do a patch panel & a switch down there, once all your cables are lit up you could either have your networking equipment down there, or have it situated around some other drop in the house.

Are you thinking you'll probably have a router and POE switch down here for some cameras and access points? If you so may want to go the small rack mount frame that was mentioned, and mount it on the wall (depending on what this space looks like). You can get a rectangle frame one or I also like this style: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5YH1ZE/

Depending on how many rack units you need, adjust the size accordingly (router + UPS + patch panel so 3U maybe? depends on how crazy you wanna get)

If you're not looking to go hog wild with the rack mount stuff, you could go with a lower profile patch panel that you can just screw to the wall: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QLTQLCC Pair this with a small netgear unmanaged gigabit switch that is right on top of the patch panel, with a bunch of short patch cables connecting everything.

The one time use tools that come with some of the patch panel stuff can be pretty rough, you may want to swing for a real punchdown tool: https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-KLEBE-VDV427-300-Punchdown/dp/B08J2DN6HC/ (especially if you plan on re-doing the wall plates & keystone jacks around the house)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

raditts posted:

I take it this is one of those "get what you pay for" type situations seeing as the Klein stuff seems to be 2-3x the price of similar tools on Amazon. Are they the kind of tools that you pay more for but they last forever? I'm not sure when the next time I'd need to actually do any of this would be, but if I can count on them to be reliable when I do then I guess it's worth the extra price.

For the wall panels, it looks like I'll need a pack of these
https://www.amazon.com/VCE-10-Pack-Keystone-Bundle-25-Pack/dp/B08JLPJXVH
and then I punch the other ends into the keystone jacks the same way as the punch panel?

Also, will I need something like this for stripping the keystone end of the cable?
https://www.amazon.com/Pass-Thru-Reliable-Klein-Tools-VDV226-110/dp/B076MGPQZQ

I've been getting a few of the specialty Klein tools lately and the quality is excellent. They definitely feel like they will last a lifetime. It does feel a bit like overkill though, since it's definitely not a tool you'll be using a ton in the future. I think you could get away with a cheaper version. That being said, I got more use out of mine from helping friends & my parents with their projects, so I was glad I ended up with a decent set of tools. Plus, who doesn't like a good excuse to get a new tool?

Yup for the wall plates you'll want keystone plates & jacks like the ones you've linked. Since the cables in the walls at my house were all cat5e, I opted for keystone jacks with labels to match. The leviton stuff is nice quality, originally I had got some of these RiteAV wall plates and they were just garbage quality, ended up returning them and went with all leviton plates and jacks. They make the jacks in other colors too if you don't want white.

That Klein pass through tool is great I've got the same one, super handy for terminating cables with rj45 connectors. (I got the non-pass through one before that and ended up returning it for the pass-through, waaaay easier to use). That being said, it's overkill if all you need to do is strip a cable for the keystones, you could probably get away with using a normal pair of scissors to carefully do the stripping. Apparently real linesman use a more scissor like tool to do the stripping. I do all my stripping with the klein pass through tool you linked because it's noob friendly.

You could even do something like this in the basement and terminate all your cables into keystones. Or skip the patch panel entirely and just terminate those cables with RJ45 connectors and plug them directly into a switch. I like having a patch panel between my network stuff and the house wiring though, you can make it a bit cleaner looking installation. The patch panel (& labels for what cable goes where) will stay with the house forever, and the networking equipment connected to it might change, that's why it's better in the long run to keep them separate with a patch panel.

fletcher fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lee Outrageous posted:

I'm looking at possibly getting some new Ubiquiti hardware, but in reading back a few pages I saw some mention of fuckery with something to do with them, what's that all about?

They had a big boo boo and handled it very poorly

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2021/03/whistleblower-ubiquiti-breach-catastrophic/