Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

wateroverfire posted:

FWIW even without officially codified wage progressions, it works like this in the U.S. too.
No, it actually doesn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

Instead honestly show interest in their statement/belief and ask them to explain it to you. Hopefully they might, in the process of explaining it to you, see the errors. At the least they can let you voice your belief later because you were respectful and listened to their side.

This, 110% of the way. The worst case if you're polite and they can't actually explain why they're right, they go ahead and switch the subject. Which is nice at a family event when you're not out for blood.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Laocius posted:

I know someone who self-identifies as a Republican, but actually has generally liberal-to-progressive views, so talking to her can be really frustrating. I get the impression that she mostly just hates Democratic politicians and the liberal bourgeoisie in general, which I definitely relate to. She also used to work in the office of an incredibly corrupt former Democratic senator from our state, which clearly gave her a very negative impression of liberals and, by extension, progressives and the left.

So, basically I want to convince her that she isn't actually conservative, she just hates rich liberals and politicians, which is a good impulse. Is there anything I could send her (books, articles, documentaries, whatever) to explain the difference between lovely, elitist liberalism and actual progressive/left-wing politics?

I would recommend ignoring trump threads and reading the succ zone. You might find some decent info in there. When you can point out that Dem party establishment doesn't really even mesh with lefty or progressive ideals it might be easier to disassociate the party poo poo-bags from the ideas they are "championing".

SA rec's aside. I happened to get a copy of https://www.amazon.com/White-Trash-400-Year-History-America/dp/0143129678 that was some really good reading as a perspective on how the under-class that wasn't shipped in from the african continent was treated by pretty much any political figure or elite during the history of the USA and before.

like to fix england's class problems they actually just locked people up and sold them as indentured servants overseas like wtf, also some really strange proto-eugenical sentiments that persist to this day

• Locked thread