Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The OP is a list of American Liberal talking points. It's a D&D groupthink-branded "How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must):", with no regard for exploring new policy ideas or fairly evaluating effects of existing ones. It serves to reinforce existing biases, representing a fundamental problem with modern politics.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Rrail posted:

What I can't defeat is the argument that the individual has no excuse for not moving up because anyone (which really means anyone not disabled) is able to join the military to start a better life for themselves. An argument of "well they shouldn't have to" isn't going to work, and to be honest, I don't really buy into that either. So, what are my options? How would you debate this?
Easy: The military's picky as hell right now, and their point about anyone being able to join is flat wrong. That's among fit young people - out of shape and older people don't have a chance. Poor people often have kids at a young age, making joining the military an unattractive option. The military is not intended to be and makes a poor substitute for a career-building institution. Treating it as such because it can build careers as a side-effect is disingenuous. Even if the military was recruiting more aggressively now and accepting more people, it would never be an option for most or all poor people in this regard due to the previous reason.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Oct 25, 2011

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Zeitgueist posted:

This is hilariously ironic coming from someone who has a habit of calling people "morons", "idiots", and "twits".

You're entire discussion style centers around neutered and marginally polite but still insulting dismissals of points that disagree with you.
You just proved evilweasel's point. Instead of admitting that you might be wrong, that evilweasel has a valid point, that he misread or misinterpreted your posts, you criticized and insulted him. Instantly combative, no humility.

I've noticed the same about you: Your snarky posts and general attitude are representative of the most hostile and close-minded aspects of D&D.

• Locked thread