Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary
Your link is missing an "ml" at the end of it, duck monster. In case anyone can't figure that out themselves and gives up after clicking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the loonier poo poo about GE crops etc was cooked up by some think tank somewhere and disseminated to distract from and discredit legitimate concerns about the very real issues that Duck Monster just described. Same goes for a lot of crackpot poo poo, I see very real value for those who profit from these things in generating false controversy. Another example I can think of would be the ridiculous vaccine conspiracy theories and opposition; instead of legitimately criticizing the way that lifesaving and otherwise crucial developments and discoveries are privatized and hoarded by first world corporations etc for profit making and suggesting our responsibility as human beings should be to freely share these innovations to minimize human suffering, you have public figures spreading falsehoods and diverting dissent into harmful very simple fabrications that are easier to latch onto than meaningful but complex and "anti-american" analysis and sentiment. Paranoia imo is an extremely powerful resource tapped by capital for diverting and neutralizing meaningful dissent by appealing to simple thought terminating clichés and the general lack of understanding that makes simpler albeit completely wrong explanations or interpretations more accessible to gobble up as opposed to the general effort required to put together institutional criticism that doesn't require breaking with scientific reality.

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

Strudel Man posted:

Sorry, but if you actively try to undermine someone's patent, you kind of open yourself up to lawsuits. I don't see any way around that. It's not like Monsanto jumped straight to suing, either. From the court filing I linked earlier:

Its almost as if the ability to hold a patent on such things is in and of itself considered immoral by some people? Nobody is arguing that they are breaking the law, that is of no concern. The ability to commit all sorts of malicious acts is often enshrined in our legal systems, the problem is institutionalized injustice.

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary
I'm very familiar with that thread and police corruption in general, but that's injustice carried out by an institution, not injustice that is itself the institutionalized subject. I would say that contributing to the continued suffering and starvation of millions of people for profit is pretty disgusting and at least "comes close" to the problems with police in my opinion. Anyway it is actually quite possible to be outraged at all sources of injustice simultaneously.

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

Strudel Man posted:

I mean, if farmers are allowed to keep and replant GMO seeds without payment, it seems quite straightforward that no private company will ever invest any effort in creating GM crops, at least not without some variant of the aforementioned terminator technologies. There's no potential for profit if all you can ever count on selling is a single seed packet per farmer. The alternative to "private GM crops have use licensing" is not "private GM crops can be freely used," it's "private GM crops don't exist."

I don't give a flying poo poo about profits, I care about feeding people. Its entirely possible for such things to be owned collectively and freely shared for the actual benefit of feeding as many mouths as possible. The profit motive necessitates a conflict of interest, and personally I place priority on the well being of the global population over that of More Money For Rich Fucks. Agribusiness profits don't go into the pockets of scientists, the same research could be conducted the same way but more benevolently elsewhere.

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary
Those differences can and will have to be reconciled if any serious revolutionary project is going to get off the ground. Zinn for instance, amongst others, was for some kind of reconciliation and ultimately cooperation between Anarchists and Communists although pretty much nobody has any real good ideas on how to go about doing so. In general the left needs to be a hell of a lot more solidary than it has been historically, the hegemonic forces of capital have sure as gently caress become more unified than they ever have been and that's going to be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

Mans posted:

Actually it convinces. Most of the aversion to the left seems to come from fear of change, belief that it's impossible to break the status quo or of losing the struggle.

Don't forget 100+ years of indoctrination and instead internalizing the ideology of capital, being immersed in the most sophisticated system of propaganda ever etc

• Locked thread