Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
How is this for a Facebook effort post?

quote:

It is true that according to the principals of the "free market" a raise in the minimum wage should result in an increase in unemployment but historically this has not always been the case. This is because the market isn't really free at all- even before the labor movement there were basic laws in place to prevent monopolies as well as numerous tariffs and federally subsidized industries which the iron and railroad barons made their vast fortunes by exploiting. The fact that minimum wage exists at all shows that the free market exists only as a hypothetical.
http://i.xomf.com/wrhjf.jpg

Corporations like McDonalds, Walmart ect employ millions of people and pay them the absolute least amount of money that they can as required by law with no medical or dental coverage. Because they invest so few resources into training and because they are absolutely ruthless in stomping out unionization there is no foreseeable situation in which Walmart and McDonald's (and their respective competitors) will raise their wages to livable rates. This is a problem, because in order for the millions of low wage workers to be able to afford to live and raise a family they have to receive money from the federal government.

We live in a society where we have decided that it is unethical to allow children to go hungry and to deny someone emergency medical treatment two examples which I am sure everyone reading this will agree with, but because corporations are not obligated to pay their employees enough money to provide these things, the government picks up the tab and we all end up having to pitch in to take care of Walmart's employees. Last year Walmart made a net profit of over 15 billion dollars, 7142 times the amount of money that someone with a bachelors degree can expect to earn in a LIFETIME. Walmart can absolutely afford to pay its employees livable wages and even of they do decide to enact a general raise in their prices, they will be vulnerable to undercutting from other super stores. Historically, raises in the minimum wage have not led to significant (or at least correlating) rises in the price of consumer goods.

According to this study done by the department of agriculture a 50 cent increase in the minimum wage in 1992 (and an increase of a dollar in 1997) would have led to a rise in food prices of less than one percent.

http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/306735/aib74703_1_.pdf

I am really loving this thread so far and I think it could become one of the best resources on Something Awful if it can gain some traction and get all nicely organized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

the2ndgenesis posted:

I have a relative who insists that it's just as bad/racist for a black person to call another black person a [n-word] as it is for a white person to call one that. I have tried and failed to explain to this person that that simply isn't true because of the ideological and historical baggage of that particular word, and how that baggage is so closely tied to the historical relations of white and black people in the United States.

They're not buying it. "It's only racist when a ~white person~ does it! Double standard! :bahgawd:" they say. This person also cannot fathom why it would be considered ridiculously racist to have a White Entertainment Network, simply because BET exists. Needless to say, they're not too big on being PC or holding back on dogwhistle racism.

Does anyone have any quick, succinct sources about the re-appropriation of slurs and epithets by subjugated groups, in order that I may try one last time to convince this person that "reverse racism" is a load of poo poo?

I honestly don't know how I feel about "friend of the family". On one hand, racism is by no means dead and there are still plenty of people who hate blacks and use friend of the family as a slur. On the other hand it doesn't really seem like the word is ever going to go away considering the level of use that is sees among inner city blacks and rap music. I wouldn't be surprised if friend of the family became more or less synonymous with dude within my lifetime.

I would like to read something about this subject too is what I'm trying to say.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Amused to Death posted:

It's only a "war on wealth" if you call it that, others call it making the wealthy pay their dues to society. It's ridiculous the idea of making the wealthy pay more can even be constructed as class warfare when it's the wealthy are are waging a war constantly on everyone else, leaving millions in this country alone ruined.

It is a war, and we have a better chance of winning if we use propaganda like any other political group. Propaganda can mean softening a message to build a wider base of support.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jun 3, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
What would be the name for someone who is socially leftist and is totally for a super strong social safety net as well as extensive spending, but doesn't really care if there are people who are super rich so long as the poorest members of society are living comfortably?

Edit: obviously there would need to be some sort of action to restrict businesses from dominating the third world as well, but outside of that what would be the downside of such an economic system?

Miltank fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 3, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Is that what liberal means? I always just thought it meant a conservative who doesn't hate gays. Or a leftist that hates poors.

Edit: I feel like I just got told that I am lukewarm and it hurts :eng99:

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Oh make no mistake, I'll throw a brick through a starbucks window the first chance I get. Basically anything to break the status quo is good enough for me.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Has anyone made a write-up on Syria with regards to the whole "false flag" thing?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

FISHMANPET posted:

Why is it a bad idea for the Democrats to "negotiate" with the Republicanss? I had an argument with a coworker and his point was that they're all politicians they should figure it out and he wouldn't accept any reasoning that it's the Republicans that need to figure their poo poo out, nor could he understand why "negotiating" on whether or not the government should run and pay it's bills wasn't negotiating at all.

The framing shouldn't be whether or not it is acceptable to negotiate. The real question is "what are the republicans offering as a compromise?" Funding the government and raising the debt ceiling are things that both parties want (whether the GOP actually wants this or not is up for debate but they are claiming they do so we will go with it.) The problem is that the GOP also wants to defund the ACA. This means that if the government is funded sans Obamacare the Republicans get a functional government AND a functional repeal of Obamacare whereas the Democrats only get a functional government. Not a compromise.

The GOP calling the defunding of the ACA a compromise is an admission that they view funding the government as a sacrifice. That is insane.

Miltank fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 10, 2013

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Any good information on why it was superior technology and not the hand of God that helped Israel win its various wars?

Edit:VV Really? How the gently caress did that happen then?

Miltank fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
E: read you wrong.

• Locked thread