Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Golbez posted:

Their lifestyles are vastly different, but they still have the same issue: Their lifestyle could be completely disrupted at any time on the whim of their employer. When you transition to upper class that is no longer an issue.

Someone who can make a million dollars in 4 years is only going to have their lifestyle disrupted a small amount. Unless they're completely idiotic with their money (granted, I'm sure many of them are), they can easily save multiple year's worth of living expenses. Sure, they won't be able to go on weeks-long vacations anymore and the kids might have to leave private school, but it's not exactly "Oh gently caress, I can't afford rent, food, and healthcare this month now that I'm out of a job."

Even those awful WSJ articles about how tough it is to live on 250k a year mentioned saving tens of thousands of dollars towards retirement/kids college funds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

shots shots shots posted:

To be honest, I think voting would be fine if we did the thing where you use indelible dye to prevent people from voting more than once, and then just let anybody who claims to be 18 or older and a citizen vote.

To be honest, I think voting is fine exactly the way it is*, given our incredibly low amount of actual voter fraud. Why fix what isn't broken?

*Obviously it could be improved by more early voting, all states letting you vote by mail, etc. But in terms of voter fraud, our current system is working.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

wateroverfire posted:

People who haven't internalized leftist ideology tend to find that description unconvincing.

What about the point that accumulated capital isn't sitting in a vault somewhere? That it mostly represents assets that contribute to the quality of life of ordinary people by, for example, producing things they want or need?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/29/wealthy-stashing-offshore_n_3179139.html

Oh, it looks like a metric fuckton of money is literally just sitting around being completely useless to the vast majority of people. Imagine that.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pierat posted:

And we do actually have a safer financial system than we did pre-crisis because there is no way anyone is going to let a bank fail and everyone knows that.

:psyduck: How does this make our financial system safer?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

What's hilarious is that most people who are renting don't actually "own" any of those things, they just have access to them as part of their rent. I can't take my apartment's fridge, stove, washer, dryer, microwave or dishwasher with me when I leave. They do not actually belong to me, I never purchased them. If I was suddenly homeless tomorrow, I would not be in possession of those appliances, they'd stay at my apartment for the next person who moves in.

Most of the time, the only people who actually "own" their appliances are homeowners. So the argument of "How can they be poor if they own all these appliances?" falls flat on another angle, poor people don't actually own their appliances.

The only appliances I actually own and can take with me are a toaster oven and a crockpot. Woo, look at me living it up with all of my appliances!

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 12, 2013

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

40% percent of Americans are going to vote for Donald Trump. I'm not going to diminish that number any by screeching "Bigot!" and storming out of rooms.

You're not going to diminish it by trying to find a magical perfect argument that proves racism exists if someone is dead set against accepting it, either.

You can reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cingulate posted:

I'm not really trying to apologize for, or lionize, the West. But I'm deeply invested in defending the enlightenment, democratic and liberal values that have, as a fact of history, their origin as Western values, and have since been partially globalized. So it's about nuance: not proving the West is the Best, but that the story has multiple aspects - so that you don't give up Western values.

Why are you so deeply invested in defending these things? That seems extremely unhealthy, you should probably base your identity around something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cingulate posted:

E.g., the muslim world was, to a first approximation, wed to an anti-progressive framework (inspired by Aristoteles plus Islam) for probably most of its existence, China and India were traditionally characterized by cyclic world views, I guess the Mayans were too, Japan basically froze time for a few centuries, and in essentially all premodern times, Europeans had an extremely anachronistic understanding of the world. (And many still do, of course.)

This is extremely insulting. Study some history and come back.

• Locked thread