Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Coohoolin posted:

Who put the limit in place and why to specifically stop one county from legalising prostitution?

Las Vegas doesn't want to have prostitution for marketing reasons, and they also don't want to have prostitution legal just over the city line in the rest of Clark County, again for marketing reasons. And since Las Vegas has 21% of the state population in itself alone, and with the whole county you're looking at 69% of the entire state's population - they hold major sway.

Plus, much of the state's legislature from the rest of the state like the idea of keeping prostitution out of Vegas and Clark since it encourages "tourism" to the rest of the state for brothels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

on the left posted:

Putting aside the "Do muslims believe X?" argument, do you think people who believe people with beliefs that are incompatible with western values should be allowed to move to a country? If I were a person who believed that Israel should be wiped off the map and that gays should be executed, do you want lots of people like me coming to your country and creating changes to your country's culture?

What are western values?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

on the left posted:

Stuff like having homosexuality not punishable by death.

But westerners introduced that in Uganda (and Uganda repealed it too).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cingulate posted:

At this point, he seems completely alien and incomprehensible to me. If you told me he also openly advocates the eating of babies, that wouldn't surprise me anymore than if you told me he openly advocates hiring more female CEOs.

Jeez of course he doesn't advocate eating babies. He simply advocates a free market in babies, where they may be used as slaves, rendered down to create soap, or eaten, as well as being adopted or even educated!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cingulate posted:

To me it doesn't feel as if these arguments are truly intended to convince libertarians. Are they intended to convince anyone - maybe signaling solidarity within non-libertarians? What is the goal here? I'm not acting cute here, I honestly don't see what's the intention.

But I do not believe it's an honest attempt to convince libertarians.

No one makes an honest attempt to convince monkeys either.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cingulate posted:

Actually, speaking as a linguist here, you're wrong.

Chimps are apes, Mr. :airquote:Linguist:airquote:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cingulate posted:

I find it extremely frustrating to talk to you because I feel you never engage with what I actually say, or what Nozick actually says, or libertarianism, or whatever; you're just trying to poo poo on libertarianism, point out its obvious injustices and incoherence and so on. And hey, I can kind of understand you wanting to do that, consider how awful Ayn Rand and Ron Paul and Paul Ryan and so on obviously are.
But it's frustrating.

I know how you feel man, noone ever wants to engage with me about the Gangster Computer God Worldwide Secret Containment Policy. You know, it's made possible solely by Worldwide Computer God Frankenstein Controls. Especially lifelong constant-threshold Brainwash Radio. Quiet and motionless, I can slightly hear it. Repeatedly this has saved my life on the streets.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Does anyone have a good deconstruction of the whole "SJW" idea?

About 5 years ago it was what a few people who actually cared about other people called those who didn't seem to care but instead just wanted to yell at people (they were also the people who would rarely help out in running support organizations, refused to donate to things etc). It meant people were both belligerent and frankly insincere in beliefs.

Now it's about "literally anyone I don't like if I have a conservative viewpoint on something". And everyone who used it originally has stopped using it because of that. See for example the claim that GBS has ever been "full of sjws" because you weren't allowed to type racial slurs.

You don't need to go further than that.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 11, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KernelSlanders posted:

Some sites have rules prohibiting posting identifying information.

Those sites can go to hell, people publicly stuck their names on there.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Triskelli posted:

"They sell those food stamps to someone else."

This has been impossible for years due to cards. The guy you're arguing with is quite simply a moron.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

robotsinmyhead posted:

I need some help with this Indiana SB101 - Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA)

I'm completely against garbage like this, and I'm not sure it will hold up against court rulings putting it against something like the 14th Amendment. The common talking point seems to be that people support this law so the "Wedding Cake decorators" don't get sued when they decline to make a penis-shaped wedding cake for Adam and Steve... or something like that.

Proponents of the bill are coming up with a lot of scenarios where upholding their "sincerely held religious beliefs" is protecting them, but I see a very slippery slope. Is this a case of unequal protection for religious folks, taking away rights from others, a combination of both? I'm kinda lost.

Here's the thing: the state already has essentially no state wide protections for LGBT people at all. There is a ban on orientation and gender identity discrimination in government employment statewide, but this bill does not affects that. There is also protections for non-public employment in two counties, but again the bill doesn't affect that.

All the things of like, "stores can now refuse to serve gay customers", well that's already legal, as there's never been a law against it in Indiana. In essence the law just reaffirms something that's already 100% legal and therefore does nothing other than make the state look bad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

twodot posted:

I'm not aware of the policies of the various municipalities in Indiana, but it's conceivable that at least one offers protections for gay customers, which could be challenged.

None do. The closest proposed was LGBT housing protections in Indianapolis which don't seem to have gone through

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Accretionist posted:

There any good anti-MRA resources like those global warming resources? This other forum I'm on has a couple of crazy weirdos who can't shut up about it ever.

Feminism. It's that simple.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

site posted:

So I'm just getting around to reading about Umberto Eco's Ur-Fascism concept and I was wondering if anyone could give me a rundown (or at least provide a link to one) of why it's full of poo poo. I've seen it criticized here on the boards in passing before so I guess there's problems with it.

It's not full of poo poo, people who decided to deploy it as a striking insight on 500 topics a day are full of poo poo.

You can think of it like how people think the constitution says we should do %some random thing that ain't even mentioned%.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Uroboros posted:

Anyway, after a brief conversation on politics with her father, he made amazing claims like: "the first amendment was written with the intention that money = speech"

This is true though, you need to remember that they didn't care about some random farmer having free speech, they cared about their printer buddies being able to publish (and get paid for) whatever. And well, everyone involved with writing everything there was fairly rich. Even more so then today (because at least today you could call a bunch of people up for not much or post online) you really needed to have money to have free political speech in a way that mattered. If you don't believe this then you should remember that one of the things they were totally down with was requiring men to hold substantial assets to be eligible to even vote, i.e. money or land, or often both.

Many other countries illustrate this better, because it becomes specifically "Freedom of the press" which is of course people with money, and people that the people with money will allow to "speak" through their media.

And of course, most of the founders at the very least were ok with slavery going on for a while. Point is, what they thought ain't necessarily something you'd find moral today.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I guess the problem I've always had with this (and the nuclear industry, but that's a wholly separate argument) is that I really don't trust companies to put safety above profit like, ever.

Total result of negligence in all commercial owned nuclear power since it started: 4 dead people tops. Like 1 guy directly.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Scoring these things based on "people killed" is a bit disingenuous, especially since radiation can take decades to kill and the best example of a "commercial" accident we have is only 4 years old at this point.

Everyone was evacuated from the area well in advance of the nuclear problem due to the massive earthquake and tsunami, therefore there aren't going to be any further deaths from it.

But even that "young" accident managed to dislocate hundreds of thousands of people for over a year and make hundreds of square miles of productive fisheries completely worthless.

No, that was primarily done by the loving earthquake and tsunami, and most of it isn't even dangerous, the Japanese are just over-the-top cautious just in case (the no go area has already shrunk many times). There weren't even a full 50,000 people in the exclusion zone before the incident!

The biggest nearby, and still ongoing, population dislocation is the formerly ~75,000 population a ways out that got mostly destroyed by the tsunami.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Where did you get that 50,000 number? I'm genuinely curious because everything I'm finding, even for the initial evacuations before the exclusion zone was expanded, is greater than 100,000. Anyway, the WHO estimates a small but statistically significant increase in cancer rates in the surrounding area, especially among infants (0.5-1%), so it's not like it had zero effect on the population. I mean if you want we can argue about the linear no-threshold model being dumb but right now it's still the standard.

And "luckily" 80% of the release went into the ocean instead of over people.

EDIT: I will concede the point on fisheries, though bottom-feeding fish tested high until at least 2013 I don't believe any fisheries are currently closed due to radiation specifically.

The general area was already being evacuated as a result of the tsunami and earthquake, and the much larger 30 km zone only lasted for under a month. Currently the exclusion zone is ~20 km and here's the population centers within it:

Also, uh, yeah, the ocean readily dissipates radioactivity.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I guess that's a good enough answer, I just don't see why nuclear power wouldn't wind up the same way fossil fuels did if everyone agreed to build tons more of them and they became "commonplace" in the public eye like coal is now, with companies and congressmen outright denying dangers and externalities like they do global warming. But I suppose this is a conversation we should have had like 70 years ago instead of right now when we're teetering on the brink of climate disaster so whatever.

Dude, France is majority nuclear power and well, nothing bad's happened with that.

Also the dangers and externalities are actually as low as companies and congressmen pretend they are with coal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

OwlFancier posted:

It's more that they may not know what radiation is. We didn't know until about a hundred years ago. And one of the first things we did upon discovering that it existed was to start mainlining it and painting everything with it and shoving it up our arses to make us gently caress better. Because obviously anything emitting such a miraculous energy must be good for you.

It also isn't helped by the design of containment facilities.

Imagine you are an archeologist, and you discover the remains of a highly advanced civilisation in the middle of a massive desert. The facility is built miles away from anything that you might think is valuable, but obviously has had huge amounts of resources poured into its construction. It's designed to weather thousands of years of wear, it's buried hundreds of yards below the surface, it's sealed with incredibly strong locks and doors and is designed with incredible security in mind. At the bottom of the facility are thousands of identical secure caskets stored with almost ritualistic regularity, and the whole thing is emblazoned with strange trefoils at every turn.

It's going to look like you just found the temple of loving doom, of course you're going to dig it up and try to figure out what's so special about the stuff that's being hoarded in there.
By the time people no longer know what radiation is, but are able to get into facilities buried under mountains, the nuclear stuff will all be low level poo poo anymore. As such it'll be about as dangerous as things like landfills of toxic materials that ain't nuclear that are all over and have great things to scavenge from if you can manage it.

Or things like people building villages unknowingly downstream of some major dam that finally breaks due to lack of maintenance for 200 years and they all die when a reservoir hits them. And so on.

Also as far as actual facilities, I mean, something like Yucca mountain is going to be barely noticeable on the surface, even if you did trek way out into the (incidentally still radioactive) deserts around it. It's going to take one of a hell change for that area or anywhere nearby to be hospitable to mass humanity to have the manpower to actually find it and break in, ya know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's also worth noting that although hydro is cheap, most of the good places are either already taken, or we're deliberately refusing to build in because of vast risks of ecosystem damage much like happened to a lot of the places we did build.

• Locked thread