Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

E-Tank posted:

I'm having issues convincing my mother that ISIS is not in fact, here in America and going to kill us all or things like that. Also that ISIS is in fact dying out, it's just a slow and drawn out death. Like she believes that ISIS is the biggest threat facing America at this moment.

Any suggestions on what I might use to convince her otherwise?
On the "here in America" front, the US just arrested six people who attempted to go join ISIL, so basically you can say that we're already successfully monitoring anything that could pop up:

quote:

The U.S. charged six Minnesota men on Monday in connection with attempts to join Islamic State, exposing a network of young Somali-Americans who allegedly tried to help each other get to Syria.

The case involves one of the largest groups of would-be foreign fighters charged so far amid a stepped-up effort by authorities to stop Americans from traveling to join extremist groups in Iraq and Syria. It also underscores how Westerners who have succeeded in joining the fight act as a draw on the friends they left behind.
Relatedly, point out that most of the time the story is that some idiot is trying leave the US (or whatever country) and go die in the desert fight with ISIL, rather than ISIL trying to come here to the US. On the "ISIL is dying" front, here's a new story about how ISIL has lost more than 25% of their territory that they once held:
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/15/middleeast/isis-loses-territory-iraq/index.html

The big answer to how that was achieved: airstrikes.
You can show her this hilariously long list of US airstrikes against ISIL, and ask her if she's heard of Kobani, and then point out/remind/explain to her that ISIL at full strength was successfully repelled from Kobani by YPG/YPJ Kurdish irregulars and US airstrikes (and FSA groups), with ISIL losing ~1200 of their fighters in a mini version of Stalingrad.

Some ISIL rear end in a top hat posted:

"I swear by God, their planes did not leave the air, day and night; they did airstrikes all day and night. They targeted everything. They even attacked motorcycles; they have not left a building standing. But by God willing we will return and we will have our revenge multiplied."
Not only has that return not happened, ISIL has been pushed even further back by literal daily US airstrikes; I did a summary on US airstrikes in Kobani (as of late February) here, and it really shows how US airpower has helped to beat back ISIL. (To be honest it's almost terrifying how effective airstrikes are.)

If you really want/need to bring the point home, show her a couple videos of US airstrikes on ISIL (maybe even the famous Tel Shaer one in my AV:v:), to bring home the point that US air power makes ISIL a basically non-existent threat to us.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread