Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadside_Picnic
Jun 7, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Manyorcas posted:

I remembered this, it was posted in one of the general election threads and reposted in the Obama Toxx thread. No-one in either thread seemed to have much of a response to it.

Basically this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_the_excluded_middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadside_Picnic
Jun 7, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Helsing posted:

This talk given at the London School of Economics called "War in the Borderlands" is a really interesting discussion of how the use of drone warfare is on the cutting edge of a new style of conflict.

Honestly the technology behind drones is far from the most revolutionary part about them. In principle they are just a really efficient evolution on missiles or human guided aircraft. What makes drones so fascinating and controversial is that they are being developed in a geopolitical context where traditional warfare is being superseded by low intensity asymmetrical conflicts.

Drones are also being deployed domestically in the war on drugs, so technologies that are currently being tested overseas will eventually find their way into civilian law enforcement. This is analogous to the way that security equipment and new techniques get live tested by Israel and then eventually adopted by domestic US security and police.

When people discuss drones it really isn't just the technology they are discussing. Drones are part of a wider change in how our society fights conflicts.

I think another big part of it has to do with how how technology influences how people imagine warfare. With a tomahawk there's targeting and everything, but with a drone you can 1.) imagine some guy at an instrument panel thousands of miles away being able to see the 'target' moments before he kills him, and you can 2.) imagine that human being automated out of the process by automatic targeting systems. That isn't really true with a Tomahawk strike in the same way.

Roadside_Picnic
Jun 7, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Loving Life Partner posted:

Is there a good, non-biased book to read concerning the history of Palestine, the British Mandate, Israel, and how things have gotten to where they are now?

I tried to search a few things, but, I really want the most concise and non-partisan source I can find, just for my own sanity.

It's an inherently partisan topic, for obvious reasons, but in part because a lot depends on the framing, and a lot of the early history written in Israel was extremely distorted. You'd get very different accounts depending on whether you read something about 'the Israel-Palestine conflict,' 'the Palestinian People,' 'the History of Israel,' 'the History of Zionism,' and so on and so forth.

In a pinch, you could try Benny Morris, because he's generally seen as too sympathetic to Israel by most people who stress the Palestinian side of the history and too critical of Israel by a lot of Zionist historians.

Of course, all the controversy about his work is about biases, but anyway.

• Locked thread