Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Helsing posted:

In the real world this is a great set up for loving over some of the world's most vulnerable populations by transforming them into 21st century share-croppers.
Well, except that you can always go back to using regular seeds.

It sucks that the benefits of genetically-engineered crops are limited to the farmers who can pay (and keep paying) for them, but it's hardly a "try once and you're hooked" situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Touchdown Boy posted:

Excpet if they cross pollinate with normal seeds or you have some in amongst your crop by accident you are breaking their copywrite and will be hosed every which way possible.
No, you're not. It takes deliberate effort at cultivation of patented seeds to be violating their copyright. I put 90% odds that you're thinking of the Schmeiser case, and equally good odds that you haven't actually read the court's explanation of their findings.

Enjoy posted:

The farmers who can pay will outcompete the farmers who can't or won't, and then they'll buy their competitors out to help their profit margin. This is how capitalism spreads efficient technology, and why the dichotomy between use value and exchange value cannot be resolved within capitalism.
So the sharecroppers here are the people successful enough to buy out their competitors? I don't imagine I'll be shedding too many tears for them, in that case.

duck monster posted:

Easier said than done. Monsanto actually go after people who don't comply with the program with lawsuits that whilst might be baseless can't be defended against by people with no cash. Food INC pointed out the US example where Monsanto just sue the poo poo out of companies that provide seed saving services where theres even a remote possibility on of their clients was a monsanto customer. Its enough to have put most out of business.
Actually, seed saving is pretty darn easy. You just keep the seeds in a cool, dry place. But even 'seed saving' is a bit of a red herring - professional farmers in the modern day will typically buy their seeds annually. Rather than buying GE seeds from Monsanto, they can just buy the far cheaper ordinary seeds.

edit: I'm guessing you're referring to Maurice Parr's seed cleaning service, not actually seed saving. Seed cleaning is pretty much just extraction of the seeds themselves so that the farmer can store them. Here's the relevant court document pertaining to his complaint. Particularly, note the truly onerous injunction the court held against a man who actively worked to persuade farmers that they were permitted to save and replant Monsanto seeds when he knew that they were not.

quote:

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that a permanent injunction issue pursuant to 35 U.S.C. §283 and Rule 65 enjoining the following activities of Maurice Parr d/b/a Custom Seed and Grain Cleaning:
1) Cleaning or conditioning crop seed that contains the Roundup® Ready trait;
2) Parr will make no statements or distribute information suggesting that it is legal or otherwise permissible to save, clean, and replant Roundup Ready® soybeans, or acquire Roundup Ready soybeans from an unauthorized source;
3) Mr. Parr will inform his customers that it is illegal to save, clean, and replant Roundup Ready soybeans, and that doing so constitutes infringement by placing a notice on his seed cleaning equipment stating the following:

Do Not Ask to Clean Roundup Ready Soybeans.
All Brands of Roundup Ready Soybeans Are Patented.
Replanting Is Prohibited.

4) Mr. Parr will require his customers to certify in writing that the soybeans that they are cleaning do not contain the Roundup Ready® trait. Parr will provide Monsanto with the written certifications, along with a sample of the seed cleaned, within thirty (30) days of each load of seed cleaned. If any sample tested is positive for the Roundup Ready® trait, provided that Parr has relied upon the grower’s written certification in good faith, then Monsanto will not seek to enforce this injunction against Parr in that instance.
5) Judgment is rendered in favor of Monsanto for the sum of $40,000 in compensation for past infringement. Monsanto agrees that it will not collect its Judgment for $40,000 so long as Parr honors the terms of this Order. In the event Parr violates any terms of this Order, then Monsanto shall proceed with the collection of this $40,000 judgment, and seek any other damages and relief to which it may be entitled.

If points 3 or 4 seem extreme, keep in mind that approximately 90% of the soybeans planted in Indiana are Roundup Ready-variety.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 9, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

duck monster posted:

Its not the outcomes that have been the problem in these cases, it was the actual costs of the litigation itself.
Sorry, but if you actively try to undermine someone's patent, you kind of open yourself up to lawsuits. I don't see any way around that. It's not like Monsanto jumped straight to suing, either. From the court filing I linked earlier:

quote:

In 2002, Monsanto sent a letter by certified mail to Parr explaining that it was the owner of the ‘605 patent and that Roundup Ready crop seed was covered by the ‘605 patent. This letter also explained that a limited-use license was required to use the crop seed and that saving a crop grown from the licensed seed for planting or selling for replanting was an infringement. The letter stated that Monsanto had information that Parr’s seed cleaning business facilitated seed replanting, and further that Parr encouraged and induced growers to clean and replant soybeans which he knew contained Monsanto’s patented technology. Finally, the notice requested that Parr cease any actions that induced infringement of the ‘605 patent and specifically asked Parr to stop:

§ cleaning any seed containing Monsanto’s patented Roundup Ready biotechnology; and
§ advising growers (either orally or in writing) that they are entitled to save and replant seed containing Monsanto’s patented Roundup Ready biotechnology.

In response, Parr communicated with Monsanto by letter, expressly stating that he
would give all of his customers a copy of the Monsanto notice, and ask them to sign a statement confirming that they are not asking Parr to clean a commodity containing the Roundup Ready technology.

Despite this assurance, Parr went on to provide seed cleaning for a number of farmers using Roundup Ready soybeans, and continued to encourage them to save and replant the patented seeds.

quote:

At some point in 2003 or 2004, Williams testified that he asked the defendant about cleaning Roundup Ready soybeans, and was informed by the defendant that it was permissible for a farmer to save Roundup Ready soybeans for his own use. After this discussion, Williams felt that it would be safe to save, clean and replant Roundup Ready soybeans. Williams saved some of his 2005 Roundup Ready soybean crop, had it cleaned by the defendant, and planted that saved seed in the 2006 growing season.

quote:

Fred and Jim Inskeep testified that they were convinced by Parr that it was permissible to save Roundup Ready soybeans and replant them on their farm.

While it's unfortunate that there is a cost to having professional representation in a lawsuit, that's the way the system works. Are you suggesting that Monsanto should just ignore the guy convincing other people to violate the patent so he can get their seed cleaning business?

ShadowCatboy posted:

The man also claimed that "terminator technology" could potentially sterilize creatures up the trophic chain, like bees or birds or your babies. There are legitimate concerns regarding GMOs, but the most prominent ones that are tossed around are utter bullshit.
It amazes me that "terminator gene" concerns keep getting tossed around when the technology was never commercially implemented.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 9, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Mr. Self Destruct posted:

Its almost as if the ability to hold a patent on such things is in and of itself considered immoral by some people? Nobody is arguing that they are breaking the law, that is of no concern. The ability to commit all sorts of malicious acts is often enshrined in our legal systems, the problem is institutionalized injustice.
:rolleyes: So we go from GMOs turning farmers into 21st century sharecroppers to "Really, it's the patent itself that's immoral," and basic patent protection being a "malicious act."

You want to see institutionalized injustice, check out the Cops on the Beat thread. A company offering a product with a single-season growing permission doesn't even come close.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

I would say that contributing to the continued suffering and starvation of millions of people for profit is pretty disgusting and at least "comes close" to the problems with police in my opinion.
What, exactly, is their contribution to the continued suffering and starvation of millions of people? Is it just wanting money for their product? If so, isn't every fertilizer company and tractor manufacturer equally complicit, with their profit-seeking ways?

I mean, if farmers are allowed to keep and replant GMO seeds without payment, it seems quite straightforward that no private company will ever invest any effort in creating GM crops, at least not without some variant of the aforementioned terminator technologies. There's no potential for profit if all you can ever count on selling is a single seed packet per farmer. The alternative to "private GM crops have use licensing" is not "private GM crops can be freely used," it's "private GM crops don't exist."

Mind you, I personally would like to see a lot more government and NGO production of beneficially modified, free-to-use crops, a la Golden rice. But suggesting that Monsanto is an evil company for pursuing basic patent enforcement seems insane to me. And, of course, even when such crops are produced, groups like Greenpeace still advocate against them.

karthun posted:

Ok, can anyone explain to be why any farmer would want to use future filial of hybrid seed instead of continuing to use new F1 every year? The entire point of using hybrid seed is because the F1 seeds all have the same traits that you find desirable. The F2 on seed to no have the consistency of those same traits. F3 and on are less consistent. And that removes the goal of ever using hybrid seed in the first place.
They wouldn't want to use hybrid seed, they'd want to use pure seed from the genetically-modified plant.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Nov 10, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

karthun posted:

The "pure" (what ever that means) seen from the genetically-modified plant is called F2 hybrid. Assuming that the genetically-modified traits that you want are domoniant 25% of that F2 hybrid do not have that trait that you want. Once when you have two traits that you desire, only 56%, the 9 of the 9 : 3 : 3 : 1, of the F2 plants will have both of those traits.
Well, unless the original seed is homozygotic for the desired traits. I guess I assumed it would be...?

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Nov 10, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

duck monster posted:

Unless you've now got entire sections of some of the poorest farmers in the world under your thumb and paying you rent to do what they had done for free for countless generations.
And thus we come full circle.

Strudel Man posted:

Well, except that you can always go back to using regular seeds.

It sucks that the benefits of genetically-engineered crops are limited to the farmers who can pay (and keep paying) for them, but it's hardly a "try once and you're hooked" situation.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

karthun posted:

Why wouldn't you would use the homozygotic trans-genetic plant to backcross with the non TG elite parent.
I'm sorry, genetics isn't precisely my field - I'm not totally certain what you mean by 'elite parent.' I assume you're suggesting that the original trans-genetic plant would have some lesser degree of productivity than the original strain it was developed from, and that crossbreeding the modified strain with the original strain would produce a higher-quality crop which would have 100% trait expression for one generation.

And sure, if the transgenetic plant were indeed inferior in this fashion, that would make sense. I don't know that it's obvious it would be, however. And having a modified strain that breeds true for its added traits has its own obvious advantages - if, perhaps, not advantages that the company distributing seed would want users to have.

In any case, I don't actually know whether the GM seed that Monsanto sells is homozygotic for the traits of interest or not. I suppose that question of fact would be the relevant one, rather than speculation as to what they should, theoretically, be selling.

edit: According to this, it looks like they do backcrossing early on, pick out the homozygous plants, and use those for seed multiplication. So I believe the seeds sold should themselves be homozygous as well.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 10, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

I don't give a flying poo poo about profits, I care about feeding people. Its entirely possible for such things to be owned collectively and freely shared for the actual benefit of feeding as many mouths as possible. The profit motive necessitates a conflict of interest, and personally I place priority on the well being of the global population over that of More Money For Rich Fucks. Agribusiness profits don't go into the pockets of scientists, the same research could be conducted the same way but more benevolently elsewhere.
I agree that the production of genetically improved crops should be a collective undertaking for the benefit of all. So I support that. And here's the thing - banning genome patents doesn't get us any closer to that state of affairs.

a lovely poster posted:

Much like healthcare, utilities and public transportation, it's generally a good idea to have your food production managed by entities that aren't trying to make a profit. Monsanto should be nationalized and destroyed.
:confused: Why destroyed? They have a great deal of practical and organizational experience in the production of new plant varieties. Why not nationalized and reoriented to the production of generally beneficial crops?

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 10, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Helsing posted:

I'm by no means an expert here but my understanding is that in addition to buying the seeds you need to buy all sorts of fertilizers and equipment in order to get a sufficiently high yield from your crop to justify the switch-over.
The most popular variety of genetically-modified crop, the one that most of the legal wrangling is over, is Monsanto's "Roundup-Ready," which actually exists for a number of different plants. All it does is render the plant highly resistant to Roundup-brand herbicide, so that you can douse your fields in weed-killer without killing your crop.

Fertilizers and equipment are a side issue to this - of course they can make huge differences to productivity, but they do that regardless of whether you're using standard or GM seeds. Now, admittedly, roundup ready plants and commercial harvesting equipment can be particularly valuable in combination with one another - if you're using a massive harvester, it's nice not to have a substantial number of weeds mixed in with your crops. But fertilizers and equipment are by no means uniquely necessary for GM crops. And if you find that the GM crops aren't all they cracked up to be after that first year, they're still quite useful for regular seeds.

quote:

Of course in Econ101 land this isn't an issue, but in practice its easy to invest in GM seeds based on unrealistic expectations about crop yield only to find yourself locked into a dependent relationship with the person who sold you the seeds.
I suppose theoretically it's possible to imagine someone contracting for multiple years at the outset, but it's my understanding that year-to-year licensing is the standard, which doesn't really have this problem.

quote:

Plus if you use modified seeds one year and were unhappy with your performance then I assume it'd be virtually impossible to switch back to traditional seeds the next year without inadvertently allowing for at least the possibility that some of the GM seeds will get mixed with some of the "regular" seeds.
Oh, not at all. Any seeds from the original GM batch that didn't grow would be nonviable after a year in soil. Plus, again, I'm not aware of any genuine case of minor or inadvertent mixing getting anyone into legal trouble, despite the hysterics proclaiming it.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Nov 10, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

duck monster posted:

If only was it that simple. See buying the seeds and pesticides isn't cheap. So monsanto loans the farmers money to invest in the infrastructure in return for mortgages on the farms. The problem is, the contracts dont necessarily allow for the farmers to just pull out when the debts start piling up too high. We're talking functionally iliterate farmers without business smarts in dealing with mega-corps here lured by travlling salesmen, and flashy adverts featuring top bollywood actors and the like.

The end result is, if they stop participating, monsanto takes the loving farm.
:raise: Monsanto is not a financial services company. They do not offer loans to anyone. They seem to have provided grants to independent microcredit programs, but as far as I can tell, that is the extent of their involvement with anything debt-related. Is it really their fault if someone bets the farm, so to speak, with a third party on purchasing their products? Is it Ford's fault if I can't make my car payments?

Not to mention the suggestion here that Indian farmers are too stupid (or perhaps more charitably, too uneducated) to be given the option of licensing GM crops, lest they lose everything and kill themselves. That's rather charmingly paternalistic.

quote:

And keep in mind, in places like india , for certain crops like cotton, you cant actually GET non GM seeds, meaning that its not possible anymore to avoid monsanto unless you've kept seeds from your traditional crop, which you probably havent if you have switched to monsanto.
I don't know where you got this piece of information, but it's difficult for me to imagine that you can possibly believe it. The 'regular seed' market can hardly be killed, because regular seeds can be endlessly replicated with nothing more than a plot of land and basic farming knowledge.

Here's an Indian company selling cotton seeds that also exports, listing five of the varieties they sell. The 'Bt' varieties, SBCH-284 Bt and SBCH-292 Bt, are transgenic - the others are regular hybridized strains. And this is a company that bills itself on biotech.

You really need to start examining the accuracy of the information you're working from. This is ridiculous.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 10, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

karthun posted:

I do not know the exact process that Monsanto uses to decrease thei yield drag but I do find it unlikely that the current-gen GM hybrid seed are homozygotic.
Did you look at the link I posted a bit upthread? Chart 5.1.2 on page 16 strongly suggests that they are, saying that they use "BC5F4 Seed that is homozygous for RRF gene" for seed multiplication - five (!) generations of backcrossing, three of self-fertilization, and then homozygous gene selection.

Although it doesn't say it, I have to imagine that they cull anything that doesn't have gene expression during the backcrossing process, or else they'd have barely any transgenetic presence left.

edit: Hah, flex is not the same word as flax.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 10, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

karthun posted:

I only work with grains so I cant speak with personal experience with BC5F4 cotton. What I can say is that RRFlex is a stack of the and BT. It looks to be an early generation (Filial 4 to be exact). It does seem like the Roundup Ready Flex does have some significant yield drag. To reduce that yield drag Monsanto will have to cross the BC5F4 with an elite variety.
But BC5 is already a cross with the elite variety five...actually, six times over. The initial RRF is crossed with elite variety to give them F1 heterozygous seed, which they then cross again with the elite variety to give them BC1 (which I suppose would then be half heterozygous and half non-carriers). Toss out the non-carriers, and cross again with elite variety to get BC2...repeat until you get the BC5, self-fertilize for a few generations to spread the genes around, and then pull out the homozygous resulting plants by, I guess, gene testing? Not sure how they tell which ones are homozygous, but it clearly says that they select those.

Crossing the BC5F4 would just put them at BC6F1, which I have to imagine would have little yield improvement over BC5.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 10, 2011

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

computer parts posted:

I'm arguing with someone who is denying that peak oil is real and/or that "shale reserves" can supply the demand for oil. Can anyone link some articles to refute this?
Perhaps not. There does seem to be some substance to it, as far as the numbers go.

http://www.eia.gov/oiaf/archive/aeo06/pdf/0383%282006%29.pdf - page 53

quote:

The global resource of oil shale base is huge—estimated
at a minimum of 2.9 trillion barrels of recoverable
oil [55], including 750 billion barrels in the
United States, mostly in Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado
[56]. Deposits that yield greater than 25 gallons
per ton are the most likely to be economically viable
[57]. Based on an estimated yield of 25 gallons of
syncrude from 1 ton of oil shale, the U.S. resource, if
fully developed, could supply more than 100 years of
U.S. oil consumption at current demand levels.

Taking the more global view, with oil consumption rates of around 100 million barrels a day, we would have about 79 years worth of shale oil.

Now, whether it's worth exploiting these deposits is another question. Environmental issues abound, and the energy return of shale is not nearly so great as that of conventional oil; the Department of Energy estimates an EROI between 2.5 and 7, compared to conventional's 10.5, and these numbers will only decrease as the most available deposits are tapped.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Bruce Leroy posted:

Thanks for the sources.

I think there are two big issues with the problem of energy, and one is that it seems like many people frame it as a false choice. They view it as "which energy source are we going to use for our needs," rather than "which energy sources are we going to use and how will we best utilize them."
Oh, absolutely. This is how I prefer to discuss the topic - I mean, certainly 79 years' worth of shale is enough to avoid any near-term peak-oil apocalypse, but just as clearly, 79 years is not forever. It would be foolish to continue to orient our economy around something we know full well is going to run out. The sensible thing is to treat these additional sources of fossil fuels as breathing room for us to move towards more truly long-term sources like solar, wind, and thorium nuclear.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

evilweasel posted:

I believe, though I can't find the link, oil shale has less energy density than a potato.
I think I saw that somewhere or other, too, when I was trawling for information on the subject. And while it's admittedly an amusing comparison, if we had multiple-billion-ton underground potato deposits, we might well be looking into using those for fuel too.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Implants posted:

Suggesting that genetics are a predominant factor in the constuct of "intelligence" is phenomenally overstating the case in the context of modern neuroscience. Neuro isn't really my field but from my undergrad years, the current consensus is that genetic factors in neural structure are largely overwhelmed inside of the first few years of life by the neuroplastic adaptation of the brain to external stimuli (i.e. social factors). So, while smart parents seem to tend to raise smart kids, this is actually more likely to do with the package of behaviours that tend to characterise "smart" in our society and the effect of those behaviours on the child's development, NOT the fact that ma & pa produce smarty zygotes.
Whoa, absolutely not. The heritability of IQ, at least, has been robustly shown in study after study to be quite high, between .5 and .9; moreover, it actually increases as one ages. That is to say, social factors are more relevant in children than they are in adults.

The weakness of racial conceptions of intelligence is in the conception of race and perhaps in the difficulty of establishing a good control - it is manifestly not in the idea that intelligence has a strong genetic component, and you will look like a fool to anyone halfway informed on the subject if you argue in that direction.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

duck monster posted:

With all that said, how does one tease out environmental from genetic factors in IQ with this whole heritability jibba jabba. Surely having smart parents just means you grow up in a household that values and encourages intelligence. How is that variable teased apart from genetics?
By looking at people who are related to each other but didn't grow up together, mostly. Identical twins adopted into different households are amazingly useful for this kind of thing, because you literally have the exact same (genetic) person raised in two different sets of environments. In one study, such twins had a .76 IQ correlation, compared to a .30 IQ correlation of unrelated children raised in the same household. (Identical twins raised in the same household, for comparison, had IQs correlated to .86)

Re: the Flynn effect - it's definitely valuable information, but it would be unwise to take away from it a kind of "oh, well, IQ's just meaningless then." Rather, the conclusion generally drawn (and the one that Flynn himself suggested in the original study) is that cultural differences have significant influence on tested IQ, even in 'culture-reduced' tests that are based entirely on abstract reasoning without any outright reference to cultural artifacts.

Within a specified culture, IQ differences correlate well to performance in a fairly wide variety of metrics. Across cultures, however, this relationship breaks down, whether the cultural distance comes from evolution over time (as in Flynn's observations) or from, well, just being from somewhere else. This is another criticism that can be solidly made against scientific racism; insofar as the groups under discussion are members of different cultures, IQ differences are unreliable as a signifier of actual intellectual differences. This can be and is the case without denying the predictive power that IQ has been seen to possess.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jan 22, 2012

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

IQ also does not equal intelligence. Like, seriously. It just doesn't. I don't think any professionals use it as a measure of intelligence. It can be a good marker for cognitive impairments or brain damage and suchlike, but calling it Intelligence Quotient is something of a misnomer.
It doesn't "equal" intelligence, but IQ tests are absolutely used by professionals as a measure of one's general intelligence or 'g factor'.

Implants posted:

I wasn't suggesting that there is no genetic factors to intelligence, or that it isn't a heritable trait etc. More talking about the fact that your brain after a comparatively short period of time is radically different at a structural level than what your DNA is programmed to create, which suggests a strong social or learned component to intelligence, rather than just born smart/born dumb. Like I said tho I haven't really looked at this stuff since undergrad so ymmv :shobon:
Saying that "your brain is radically different at a structural level than what your DNA is programmed to create," depending on interpretation, is either untrue or meaningless. Our genes don't specify the small-scale physical structures which arise in our brain, the individual neuron-to-neuron connections, but they do shape overall neural development. And with an overall heritability estimate of .85 for adult IQ, it would not be greatly inaccurate to say that individuals are in fact just born smart/dumb. (With the appropriate caveats, of course, for the possible effects of improper nutrition or injury.)

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 22, 2012

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I can't view your link, but heritability studies make it basically beyond dispute that the genetic component of intelligence is, in fact, quite large. The fact that a single gene can't be conclusively linked to it only conveys the unsurprising fact that intelligence is a complicated phenomenon. Hell, eye color is controlled by at least six different genes; I wouldn't expect anything less than a broad constellation of genes to shape human intellect.

Particularly,

quote:

Our results unequivocally confirm that a substantial proportion of individual differences in human intelligence is due to genetic variation, and are consistent with many genes of small effects underlying the additive genetic influences on intelligence.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 23, 2012

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

Right. You're going to have to do better than that, I'm afraid - the concept of the g-factor does not demonstrate practical application of the concept by professionals. The reason for my skepticism is that I'm actually sort of familiar with the practices in this area, having neuropsychologists in the family (and colleagues of said neuropsychologist at some gatherings), and this debate keeps coming up and they keep saying that you basically use IQ tests to check for abnormalities connected to brain dysfunction.

To clarify: I'm not saying that IQ does not correlate with what we call intelligence at all, I'm saying it's a very unreliable factor and claiming that the relatively high heritability of IQ (at least some of those studies have some problems with regards to the sample selections, too) equals to any significant degree heritability of 'intelligence' is problematic at best.
I'm not totally sure how to demonstrate effectively that a concept is taken seriously. Maybe by citing its use in serious papers?

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/289/5478/457.short

quote:

Universal positive correlations between different cognitive tests motivate the concept of “general intelligence” or Spearman's g. Here the neural basis for g is investigated by means of positron emission tomography.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160289696900082

quote:

General intelligence (Spearman's g) accounts for over 50% of the reliable variance in a battery of mental tests in a sample of the general population. In a “differentiation hypothesis” originally suggested by Spearman it is hypothesized that the degree to which g pervades performance on mental tests is greater at lower ability levels. In addition to providing a critical review, the study presented here tests the differentiation hypothesis: (a) at different ability levels and ages; (b) when groups are selected on the basis of a wide range of criterion abilities; and (c) by developing new statistical techniques for sampling groups of different ability levels.

http://www.uam.es/personal_pdi/psicologia/fjabad/cv/articulos/paid/sex_dif.pdf

quote:

The g factor is common to all cognitive abilities and to measures of academic performance. An important question in the research on cognitive sex di€erences is whether, on average, females and males differ in g. This question is technically the most diffcult to answer. Furthermore, it has been the least investigated. In the present study, two samples of young adolescents solved several cognitive and scholastic (achievement) tests. The samples were a total of 1565 young adolescents (797 girls and 768 boys). Sex was considered to obtain separate g factors. The congruence coeffcients between the g vectors extracted for each sex suggested a near identity. Then the sex difference in g was represented on each of the subtests in terms of a point-biserial correlation. These correlations were included with the full matrix of subtest intercorrelations for factor analysis. The results reveal the factor loading of sex on g, which in the present study suggest a null sex difference.

Furthermore, I should point out that the fact that a neuropsychiatrist primarily uses IQ tests to check for mental dysfunction is probably attributable to the fact that psychiatrists are primarily focused on addressing mental dysfunction; they would have little reason or purpose just to check intelligence.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 23, 2012

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

Psychologist, not psychiatrist. But I'll read this and get back to you if I remember, cheers!
I don't imagine that the specific details of the papers are particularly important to know - they aren't actually defending the concept of a unified g, just operating under the evident presumption that it's valid. Suggesting, therefore, that the idea is taken seriously.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 25, 2012

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

internaut posted:

Intergenerational Social Mobility:The United States in Comparative Perspective (spoiler: the US worse than Norway when it comes to social mobility)
...is Norway particularly bad for social mobility or something? :confused:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Vermain posted:

For competition to take place in any meaningful sense, growth has to occur, since it will denote winners and losers and allow inefficient resources (the businesses that lose) to be absorbed by those using resources efficiently.
Hey, this seems pretty clearly false. Like, if only a hundred widgets are sold a year forever, JiffyWidg and Widg-o-Matic Industries can still compete over those sales.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

Unless the widgets all break after one year, this situation would still involve growth, you realise
Economic growth refers to an increase in the rate of economic activity, so no, it would not.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

namesake posted:

The idea of permanently fixed sales assumes a neverending pattern of buyers collecting widgets and sellers collecting money, which is also completely nonsensical if that's all they do.
Or it assumes a fixed consumer pool who have to replace their widgets at a steady rate, and sellers who pay their employees and take some profit for themselves. They probably also take part in economic activity unrelated to widgets, and even some non-economic activity as well. It's not a terribly fantastic notion.

More to the point, I don't have to justify my 'if.' Vermain said that competition requires growth - it's not necessary for me to describe the conditions leading up to a no-growth scenario to refute that, I only have to demonstrate that competition can exist in a situation without growth, which isn't exactly difficult to do.

Also, really?

quote:

infinite money in the purchasers hands to continue purchasing widgets
Do you think that consumers similarly require infinite money to fuel our indefinite and regular need to purchase, say, food? Or is this just flailing about to try to establish Historical Inevitability 2: Electric Boogaloo?

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 21, 2012

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Totally TWISTED posted:

Thanks for this.

For those interested, here is the testimony to Congress from which the graphic is derived (I'd tell you the page number that the data is on - since it's not the same image - but there are no page numbers).

http://www.economy.com/mark-zandi/documents/Final-House-Budget-Committee-Perspectives-on-the-US-Economy-070110.pdf
The testimony to congress, in turn, was based on a Moody's 'macroeconomic simulation,' a computer program meant to simulate an economy. So it should probably be taken with something of a grain of salt, given that the outcomes of the program would be highly dependent on the assumptions made in its programming.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

You could say that for practically all neoliberal economic models ever conceived
Well, yes. There's a reason to be skeptical of any numbers that come out of models rather than out of real-world statistics.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Install Gentoo posted:

Also a gold standard is terrible for anyone who invests in gold since the whole idea of it is "gold is now a fixed price; no more massive returns in investment". So that's funny when you see people who have invested in gold but also want the gold standard.
It's not terrible for anyone who has invested in gold prior to the adoption of the gold standard.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

gaan kak posted:

Yea, the study fails to account for a liberal article criticizing a conservative thinktank's position and vice versa; it's interesting but I think incomplete as a whole. Are there are any more methodological details available about the 4th estate infographic?
http://www.4thestate.net/the-4thestate-methodology/

quote:

Sentiment of statements is broken down by each candidate. Explicit statements of praise or criticism toward a candidate are marked as Positive or Negative to that candidate, respectively. Statements that affect the reputation or alter the image of a candidate are also marked with sentiment. Other statements that do not contain opinion, or do nothing to help or hurt a candidate are marked as Neutral. If a candidate speaks positively about himself, that can also be marked Positive.

A problem that strikes me is that having more coverage overall will result in having more negative sentiment, all other things being equal. If the President is simply mentioned more than Romney, as seems probable, we would expect to see at least slight imbalances in 'negative sentiment.'

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Timo posted:

Now, can you tell me how incredibly wrong I am? I know I'm missing a lot.
The problem I see is that it would be a pretty significant disincentive for anyone to try to represent the areas most in need of improvement.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

eSports Chaebol posted:

I know America does try to mark military aid as ODA but I'm not sure what the magnitude of it is.
As I recall from the last time I looked into it, about a quarter of our foreign aid is military in nature.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Zeitgueist posted:

They're on the whole wrong because they assert that men are an oppressed demographic. That's just silly.

You need to list specific points, it's too broad.

I'll try and dig up a source but men actually win more often when they contest custody. Most men don't because (presumably) they don't want to take care of the kids and thus don't try and get custody.

edit: Blog post detailing this: http://www.villainouscompany.com/vcblog/archives/2012/04/child_supportcu.html
The thing I wonder about with this is that it only specifies that these are cases where fathers seek custody, which leads me to believe that it includes incidents in which the mother doesn't seek custody at all, as well as those in which custody is genuinely contested. In order to evaluate bias, it seems like we would want to focus rather narrowly on the latter circumstance.

Unfortunately, the blog's links are down, so I can't check their sources to see if that question is answered.

edit: There's a cached version, which the forums software keeps messing with the link to when I try to post it. Doesn't clarify that question, though it does turn out that the study is from way back in 1990.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:IpMev73bDV8J:www.amptoons.com/blog/files/Massachusetts_Gender_Bias_Study.htm

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 14, 2012

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Golbez posted:

Why is "women have children" considered different than "men go to war"? How many CEOs were female when all the young men were off at war and there were much fewer women popping out babies during WW2? If we had a draft, I would be far more concerned about my all-male workforce disappearing to Eurasia one day rather than my all-female workforce getting pregnant at the same time.

So no, it's not solely about pregnancy, far from it.
What on earth are you talking about. The majority of women will have a child at one time or another in their lives - the majority of men will most certainly not go to war. And even if they did, being a soldier is still working. And the issue isn't what the employer thinks, but simply whether or not the employee continues in her career.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 19, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Never, ever, ever, in the history of human civilization have men been drafted into wars with anything like the incidence at which women have children.

It's also breathtakingly irrelevant if we're talking about the modern day. Which we are.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Judakel posted:

Earlier we discussed why the notion that women rearing children should cost them career opportunities is as sexist as it gets.
I don't understand how it's avoidable, even conceptually? You cannot stay at home to raise a child and simultaneously pursue a demanding career. That has nothing to do with gender as such - the same is true of any men who choose to stay at home as househusbands.

If someone takes five, ten, twenty years out of their career to raise a child, they're certainly doing something that's socially valuable. But it seems insane to demand that if and when they go back to it, we should expect that they achieve the same positions and get the same pay as someone who's been clocking in for all that time.

Judakel posted:

Edit: It is about 3 pages back.
This?

quote:

This may be true if "productivity" is measured only in wage labour. Housework and child-rearing, which women still disproportionately bear the burden of, are not waged labour and are not measured in productivity measures like GDP, but will have an impact on women's ability to do waged labour. Block knows this and says it openly, but does not consider it a problem, instead claiming that employers are within their rights to assess potential employees based on their gender because women will marry and lose status/working time. He doesn't go completely down the route of saying that women have inherent inferiority in some aspect like intelligence or that within a job they will be less productive, more that a woman's typical social role leads her to eventually forfeit waged productivity for non-waged productivity (and indeed, that she will WANT to do this), and this means women will, as a group, be out-competed by men. Bafflingly, his supporters don't see this as a sexist problem:
He lays out the issue itself, that child-rearing is non-'waged' activity that interferes with waged activity, but there's no clear elucidation here of why it's a sexist problem, just an implicit assertion that it is.

It also seems to be talking about a slightly different issue - employers paying women less in advance, in anticipation of choices they are statistically more likely to make in the future which would take them out of their careers. This is indeed questionable, but it has no direct bearing on whether an individual actually making that choice will/should affect future earnings, which seems unavoidable.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 20, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Judakel posted:

I am not really sure the matter becomes any less sexist when we take out the "anticipation" angle and simply base it around choices made. This duty has traditionally fallen on women, and this is precisely why viewing such labor as a necessary sacrifice of financial independence should be seen in a sexist light. Only recently has it begun affecting men on a larger scale, but the genesis of the problem is nonetheless sexism.
The genesis of the problem is that you can't advance your career if you're not in a career, and the reason you aren't in a career doesn't really have any impact on that.

Judakel posted:

Given that the labor is important/necessary to the stability of a society, I am not really sure why I should concede that it is insane to expect anyone to give their financial independence in order to pursue it.
That isn't really the question, though. I mean, if you want to talk about state remuneration for child-rearing, child allowances to allow mothers financial independence, that's something that can be discussed. But the question is whether businesses of any stripe can reasonably be expected to have people who have left their jobs for years or decades in the same positions and receiving the same pay as those who haven't, and I don't see any way in which that's plausible. Hell, some people don't come back to work at all - that's a gender deficit that's always going to be there as long as an imbalance exists in the distribution of childrearing, unless businesses decide to give phantom positions to stay-at-home mothers (and fathers).

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 20, 2013

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Judakel posted:

I don't think you have a good enough understanding of the issues at hand to discuss this intelligently.
Hm, yes, a compelling point.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Judakel posted:

Edit: Then you edit some half-assed response in after the fact. Here is my response to that...

State remuneration would be the answer, along with a culture that does look at time spent away from work as a reason to not return someone to their former position or a position around the same paygrade.
If the 'question' is an imbalance in the representation of women in the workforce and in positions of power, I find it unlikely that state remuneration for child care would be the answer - it would do nothing, after all, to stop women who are considering dropping out of their careers to raise a child from doing so, and indeed, would likely act to encourage it, as it would make the decision represent less of a financial loss. Of course, it would do the same for men as well, but as it's a smaller proportion of men who engage in that in the first place, the relative effect would be greater in women.

As for creating a culture that doesn't care about time away from work - good luck with that. And keep in mind, you're not just talking about returning them to their former position, but to the position they would have if they hadn't spent time away from work at all. Otherwise, you still have the differential between those who have and those who haven't.

Judakel posted:

If private enterprises cannot be relied on to do this, then you've just found another reason to be against such a thing.
No result-oriented enterprise could be relied upon to do such a thing, because it's bad for results. If I need a surgeon, I'd drat sure want the one who's been practicing for the last ten years over the one who last practiced ten years ago. Treating them as equivalent is nonsense.

Anyway, I think I'm good on this topic. You can make your closing statement.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Yeah, that's what I was curious about. % of people who receive SNAP and housing benefits AND also have a full time job. Thanks.
I don't think 60% is the number with a full-time job. I'm not sure where you'd actually find those numbers, as I believe there's substantial variation among the states as regards the details of such benefits.

• Locked thread