Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have an argument that comes up frequently and I am unaware of the eloquent way to defeat it-

My coworkers (at any organization I've worked at in the past few years) are solely upper-middle class former military. I would say about a quarter of them routinely bring up "all the peopel doing nothing and receiving government handouts". Now, I can generally mitigate their point by talking about how it's a relatively small amount of the budget, how the education system in the United States works against them, etc. It is easy to explain that the underlcass has a much harder time moving up because of the way income and expenses work, access to schools, jobs, even good nutrition.

What I can't defeat is the argument that the individual has no excuse for not moving up because anyone (which really means anyone not disabled) is able to join the military to start a better life for themselves. An argument of "well they shouldn't have to" isn't going to work, and to be honest, I don't really buy into that either. So, what are my options? How would you debate this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The problem with using that argument is it still comes back to personal choice: "So don't get pregnant when you're young", for instance. I am having trouble comprehending how you can get to 18 years old as being incapable of military service that does not derive directly from personal choices (except for poor nutrition). I have never gone through this so I am very ignorant to it.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Right, those with disabilities can't get in, that's fine. That doesn't account for 75% of the population.

I agree completely with the last thing you said, but that won't work with a good portion of Americans as an argument.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The argument generally boils down to the fact that not all poor people are lazy, but a lot of them are don't care to ever even have a job because welfare is easier.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

a lovely poster posted:

I would suggest doing some research on our social programs and actually learning whether or not "welfare is easier" because it isn't. It's a maze of bureaucratic poo poo for a paltry sum of money.

I'm sorry, I meant that's what THEY are saying, I don't really believe that.

• Locked thread