Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!

computer parts posted:

Nope, literally 99% of the outrage over drones are either because it's a shiny new military toy or that people think it's exactly like playing a video game. Functionally it's exactly the same as our current pilots except there's no chance that they'll (the pilots anyway) get shot down.

No, this is totally wrong. People use the drone strikes as short-hand for executive assassinations since they are extremely visible and touted by the administration; the specific method is not important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Maybe my perceptions are skewed, then. Is the "drone strike" phrase being pushed by those who are actually criticizing the policy of murdering people, or is it being pushed by the media and government as a clinical and detached descriptor? Because when I hear "these drone strikes are evil" my takeaway isn't "we need to stop loving murdering people", it's "we need to stop using drones to murder people".

Again, drone strikes are by far the most prominent tool of executive assassinations these days, so they get referred to as an umbrella term for all similar actions (manned planes, special forces, etc). I've never heard someone make the argument that killing people with actual manned aircraft would be any different morally. Critics of the programs almost always target the fact that we are killing people with abandon that we know almost nothing about. Where are you hearing such narrow criticisms?

The government and media (well, most outlets-exceptions exist) do by and large consider drone strikes to be effective/legal, especially given the "military aged male = militant" metric for classifying the people they killed.

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!

computer parts posted:

I'm not talking about handwaving away their significance? The US has been bombing people for over a decade, my point is that back then no one in the media cared but now they only care because it's fancy drones doing the killing.

No, I'm sure most people object to to the killings themselves.

• Locked thread