Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

Hey guys, I'm looking to upgrade from my Logitech Z-2300 to a quality 5.1 setup for games and music.

My price range is up to $500

I have looked at some Klipsch sets but I'm not sure if any of their lower end setups are a good value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

MMD3 posted:

Let me be the first to say...

$300 for desktop stereo speakers + $200 for headphones

I don't know anyone that games in 5.1 anymore. If you want immersion put some good headphones on.

I have some Beyerdynamic DT990s so I'm good on headphones. And I have a decent soundcard in the Xonar STX.

I would like to take advantage of better positional sound in games, and generally have a more robust speaker setup. I often have guests over hanging out and playing games on my other computers so headphones aren't usually an option.

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

MMD3 posted:

So if you're playing say an FPS with friends and you have 5.1, and they're sitting in the same room but you guys are looking different directions in the game... how does that work for positioning? I would think it'd be best to have a spare set of headphones or two for when friends come over... or tell them to bring their own? Unless you're not playing FPS at all...

We're not always playing the same game. There is just people hanging out and on the computers. If we wear headphones we also have to use voice chat to hear each other, which is loving stupid because I play games with my neighbor all the time and I don't want to use a third party program to talk across the room.

I already have a fair quality 2.1 system, which will now be attached to my extra desktop machine.
I already have nice headphones.

You're being really helpful and all, but I'm looking for suggestions for a 5.1 system because that's what I want.

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

Hob_Gadling posted:

One idea: up the budget a bit and buy a genuine 5.1 home theater setup. You can connect all your other music stuff into it, you get a remote, you can repurpose it as home theater if/when you fancy one.

I'm not completely sure what the difference is in a PC speaker system and home theater. I assume its generally a lack of receiver but I'm not sure what the true distinction is.

I have been looking at this set from Klipsch:

http://www.klipsch.com/high-definition-theater-500-home-theater-system/details

Am I getting ripped off if I pay for a set like that instead of getting loose speakers and a receiver?

vaginal cramps
Nov 17, 2003

Thanks guys.
I'm going to read up in the Home Audio newbie thread and just build a real system. At first glance, I'm thinking I can get a decent setup for like 600 or a bit more than that, which I can handle.