Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I feel it'd depend on the persons ability to acknowledge what's "weird" or not. I had a friend who got into the role playing thing, not a big deal, but turned from a relatively normal hobby to becoming really, really obsessed to the exclusion of other activities. On the other hand there are plenty of people in the same kinds of communities and don't let edgy Pokémon rp become part of their identity.

I'd personally be very uncomfortable introducing 9 year olds to those communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I would under no circumstances expose a nine year old to the slippery slope to horror and psychological damage that is the fanfic community.

I mean, holy poo poo.

EDIT: Okay, to clarify, not all fanfiction and not all of the community is quite that poisonous. But without the ability to monitor and filter the type of fanfic that she's consuming, and the community she's interacting with, I'd be extremely concerned that she'd be exposed to a lot of stuff that no nine year old should encounter.

Considering how much pedophilia and incest and abusive relationships portrayed as normal/healthy, I'd vote for keeping young kids away from fanfics until they're much older. You really don't want pedos grooming them, or them developing bad ideas about how any kind of relationship works, romantic, platonic, sexual and otherwise.

See also: that undertale Anna pedo using rp and fiction to groom and abuse minors in this very thread! Hell, this whole thread!

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I'd say there's nothing wrong with teaching her that writing fan fiction is a thing to do creatively. Just don't use that exact term. Describe it slightly different, so when she's old enough, she'll be like "Oh, there's a word for that!" Instead of just kind of being exposed to the whole hot mess of it right off.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Absolutely do not introduce a nine-year old to any online communities, keep them on pbs.org or somewhere else they can be easily monitored.

But as a certified armchair psychologist, I think writing could be a good outlet for solving her disruptive behavior in class. Get her a nice journal (I saw some nice leather-bound ones at a Wal-mart for just :10bux:), and tell her that instead of having a conversation with (character), that she can write it down in the journal and show people later.

Of course that doesn't solve the root problems, the only thing I can think of is trying to tie her back down to reality. Ask her who picks her up from school, who makes dinner for her, who kisses her goodnight. If she insists that fictional characters are doing it, ask to meet them when they pick her up. If she continues the in-class conversations, play along and wrest the fiction from her. "Oh, (Character), I didn't see you there! (Student) has a lot of studying to do today, so she'll see you at recess." Open the door and let them out.

But absolutely let her parents/counselor know what you're doing and your concerns with her behavior. Do that before taking any of our dumb advice.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

uglynoodles posted:

I'd say there's nothing wrong with teaching her that writing fan fiction is a thing to do creatively. Just don't use that exact term. Describe it slightly different, so when she's old enough, she'll be like "Oh, there's a word for that!" Instead of just kind of being exposed to the whole hot mess of it right off.

Eh, it's probably better to steer her away from fan fic in general. Perhaps go the route of "well hey if you like those stories and those characters why don't you invent your own?" If you like, say, Harry Potter you could write your own boy wizard and what kinds of crazy adventures he goes on.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I meet her family members every morning and most afternoons. They know what's going on.

Sounds like what I had been doing is probably the way to go. Hey, who knows, maybe she burns out on fanfic before she even realizes it's a thing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

VideoTapir posted:

Her independent entry is not that much of an immediate danger; her reading level isn't quite up to it. Just whether I should remind her that this thing exists, maybe pick out a few suitable stories. (Her current favorite thing is not very popular fanfic wise, and everything I've seen is fine.)

I mean if you have a weirdo enter that community, are they more likely to become more weird, or more likely to get it out of their system in a harmless way?

Dude, you even read this thread?

Alternative answer, read the saga of Andrew Blake and get back to me.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VideoTapir posted:

Her independent entry is not that much of an immediate danger; her reading level isn't quite up to it. Just whether I should remind her that this thing exists, maybe pick out a few suitable stories. (Her current favorite thing is not very popular fanfic wise, and everything I've seen is fine.)

Uh, you have a very high opinion of the reading level of the typical fanfic I think. Unless you're saying she has some sort of reading problem in general? Which maybe that could be part of why she feels the need to claim various characters are totally her friends.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

fishmech posted:

Uh, you have a very high opinion of the reading level of the typical fanfic I think. Unless you're saying she has some sort of reading problem in general? Which maybe that could be part of why she feels the need to claim various characters are totally her friends.

She does, a bit. The reading level of a particular fanfic isn't the problem. It's that you need to reach a minimal level of automaticity in your reading before navigating a text-heavy website to find the things you'd be interested in stops being a chore. I expect she'll be a year or two behind most kids in getting to that level.

How about I put this another way...I have been trying to encourage this kid to write instead of pestering people with her fantasy life. Is the inevitability of this leading to the fanfiction community if she persists long enough to be able to get there on her own a death sentence for someone who is already showing some crazy tendencies?

Would it be better to just deny this crap outright, all the time? Would it be better to play along? What approach is most likely to help maintain a connection to reality?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I think if you say "Writing is a great way to enjoy your imagination, and if you want to make up stories about the characters you love from {thing}, that's awesome and can be really fun. And you can make up your own characters, too, and write about their stories. I'd love to read any stories you want to show me. But it's not okay to do that in class, because we're here to learn about math/science/history" you might plant some seeds.

I think encouraging her to write is good, because it gives her an outlet for her imaginative fixation with these characters and situations, but agree that maybe don't tell her it's fan fiction, because holy crap, some of the people out there :gonk:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

value-brand cereal posted:

Considering how much pedophilia and incest and abusive relationships portrayed as normal/healthy, I'd vote for keeping young kids away from fanfics until they're much older. You really don't want pedos grooming them, or them developing bad ideas about how any kind of relationship works, romantic, platonic, sexual and otherwise.

See also: that undertale Anna pedo using rp and fiction to groom and abuse minors in this very thread! Hell, this whole thread!

When you think about it, a lot of fantasy fiction has some really unhealthy relationship dynamics that are portrayed as acceptable, if not perfectly normal. I imagine there are loads of kids out there that take on books that might be at their reading level, but are certainly a not at their emotional level and getting some really messed up ideas.

Some examples off the top of my head:

Harry Potter - wtf is Hermione doing with Ron? Ron is lazy, jealous and petty and she herself admits he has the 'emotional range of a teaspoon'.
Wheel of Time series - Rand has like 3 love interests and while he has some cursory angst about it he decides to keep them all and all three of them are cool with this because well, he is the Dragon Reborn!
Game of Thrones - almost noone in those books has anything approximating a normal relationship with their friends, family or spouses.
Wildmage series by Tamora Pierce - in the final book of the series, the main character shacks up with her mentor, who she met when she was 13 and in the final book she's like 16 or 17.

I think if these weren't fantasy novels, people would be going 'ewwwwww' or 'what? What?! That makes no sense!'.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

dont forget all the subtle femdom stuff in WoT especially re: spankings

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Oh god, I'd forgotten about that.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

froglet posted:

Game of Thrones - almost noone in those books has anything approximating a normal relationship with their friends, family or spouses.

I mean, if you want to get all analytical about it, there's only one we see much of (the Starks) and the Lannisters are always trying to destroy it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

froglet posted:

Harry Potter - wtf is Hermione doing with Ron? Ron is lazy, jealous and petty and she herself admits he has the 'emotional range of a teaspoon'.

Well she isn't with Ron for most of the books, and ends up with him when he saves her a few times in the last books and they're constantly together because of the conditions - especially when Hermione, Ron, and Harry are on the run for like a whole year, with Harry already being established with Ginny.

Ron also has a bit of character arc through the books of being something of a useless whiner into becoming a real hero who's more considerate and all that.

WOOFDOCTOR
Mar 17, 2012
I am not a doctor.

VideoTapir posted:

She does, a bit. The reading level of a particular fanfic isn't the problem. It's that you need to reach a minimal level of automaticity in your reading before navigating a text-heavy website to find the things you'd be interested in stops being a chore. I expect she'll be a year or two behind most kids in getting to that level.

How about I put this another way...I have been trying to encourage this kid to write instead of pestering people with her fantasy life. Is the inevitability of this leading to the fanfiction community if she persists long enough to be able to get there on her own a death sentence for someone who is already showing some crazy tendencies?

Would it be better to just deny this crap outright, all the time? Would it be better to play along? What approach is most likely to help maintain a connection to reality?

You should go find your school psychologist and ask them to do an observation and give you intervention suggestions. Source: I am an elementary-level school psychologist and this happens from time to time. Could be attention motivated, they could have social skills deficits, they could have difficulty at home, we can't help determine this online the way your school support staff can.

If it's attention motivated, your intervention may not show the most improvement. Also please do not ever expose any of your students to any non-educational online anything. You don't want the consequences of that if the family doesn't like any of the possible end results.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

WOOFDOCTOR posted:

You should go find your school psychologist and ask them to do an observation and give you intervention suggestions. Source: I am an elementary-level school psychologist and this happens from time to time. Could be attention motivated, they could have social skills deficits, they could have difficulty at home, we can't help determine this online the way your school support staff can.

If it's attention motivated, your intervention may not show the most improvement. Also please do not ever expose any of your students to any non-educational online anything. You don't want the consequences of that if the family doesn't like any of the possible end results.

This this, holy loving poo poo this. What even made it seem like a good idea to introduce a nine year old to an internet community? I am not even certified yet and that sets off alarm bells you could hear in the next zip code.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
I was into Sonic the Hedgehog when I was 10. I was let into fanfic communities and online role playing chatrooms full of furries and vore (I only understood the implications of these people including a child into their activities years later). This was 18 years ago. English was not even my main language. So yeah, don't underestimate what kids can get into online.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

As long as she has (real) friends, I think that the problem is going to sort itself out in a couple years. Absolutely don't do anything that would single her out in the class.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

froglet posted:

When you think about it, a lot of fantasy fiction has some really unhealthy relationship dynamics that are portrayed as acceptable, if not perfectly normal. I imagine there are loads of kids out there that take on books that might be at their reading level, but are certainly a not at their emotional level and getting some really messed up ideas.

Some examples off the top of my head:

Wheel of Time series - Rand has like 3 love interests and while he has some cursory angst about it he decides to keep them all and all three of them are cool with this because well, he is the Dragon Reborn!
Wildmage series by Tamora Pierce - in the final book of the series, the main character shacks up with her mentor, who she met when she was 13 and in the final book she's like 16 or 17.

I think if these weren't fantasy novels, people would be going 'ewwwwww' or 'what? What?! That makes no sense!'.

You know there's an alternative to lovely fantasy, right? Like, lots of them. The girl's only 9, she should be reading stuff like Scott O'Dell books about Indian girls, or children's versions of "Swiss Family Robinson," children's non-fiction, or something like that. I fully agree with WOOFDOCTOR, talk to the school counselor about her issues. In the meantime, though, VideoTapir can encourage her to read stuff that's not fantasy or science fiction. I mean, shoot, I was an awkward, loudmouth dork who loved non-fiction, and historical fiction without knowing what it was, and I honestly think that helped me stay a little more grounded in reality. Even just reading realist children and YA books wouldn't hurt. (Nothing like the end of "The Great Gilly Hopkins" to make you realize that the real world is tough, even for kids, and it's okay when there isn't a "happy" ending.) I remember a book that portrayed a girl with eating issues and her dysfunctional relationship with her petty, possibly personality disordered mother, and the characters were in fifth grade.

I'm not going to lie, I'm biased against fantasy and sci-fi, partly because I think the real world is more interesting than anything a single writer can invent. My younger sister is an awesome, insightful and very intelligent person, but she's the type to try to force resolutions and confrontations because--and this is purely my opinion--she thinks in terms of literature and drama, where there's usually a clear storyline and arc. We clashed a lot because I fully accept that there are no clear endings, people's motives are sometimes a mystery to themselves, and real life is not a series of novels. (My BA is in History, hers is English.) So I'm a firm believer in pushing reality on people in whatever form it takes to make it palatable to them.

It's good that VT is looking out for this kid and trying to be pro-active before she ends up the star of a future iteration of this thread. He(?) should NOT steer her towards internet fan-fiction communities, and it wouldn't hurt to suggest books that she wouldn't necessarily seek out on her own.

Bobbie Wickham fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 29, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So, wait.

You introduced your precocious fanfic writing kid to John Podesta?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
No one in this thread should be allowed near children. :cripes:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Poison Mushroom posted:

No one in this thread should be allowed near children. :cripes:

Most of the thread is about kids and teens that posters knew as kids and teens. I don't get your point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I mean specifically the last page or so.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Louise Erdrich's Birchbark series are what little girls should be reading about Native kids.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Seconded. The first book is cool as hell.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

froglet posted:

Yeah, but no one should be letting their 9-year-olds read Game of Thrones either. I don't care how precocious the kid is, they don't need to be reading graphic, horrifying gang rape and torture scenes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

:stare:

Suddenly even more glad I dropped GoT.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Back when I first read Game of Thrones, in the mid-2000s, it was in my local library's teen fiction section.
Teenage me was fine with this, but in retrospect, I'm very glad it's been shifted to adult fiction. It's no harder for teens to find, but at least we can pretend.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I feel like this thread has run its course and should be goldmined already.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

:stare:

Suddenly even more glad I dropped GoT.
When did you drop it because everything described happened by book 2.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

pookel posted:

Yeah, but no one should be letting their 9-year-olds read Game of Thrones either. I don't care how precocious the kid is, they don't need to be reading graphic, horrifying gang rape and torture scenes.

cptn_dr posted:

Back when I first read Game of Thrones, in the mid-2000s, it was in my local library's teen fiction section.
Teenage me was fine with this, but in retrospect, I'm very glad it's been shifted to adult fiction. It's no harder for teens to find, but at least we can pretend.

Might as well get my sperg on. You DO NOT READ Game of Thrones. You WATCH Game of Thrones. You READ A Song of Ice and Fire. Which is the book series the TV series Game of Thrones is based on.

Also, it is a pile of poo poo because GRRM is so busy self-promoting and sucking the last bit of cash out of new fans since he ignored his old fans (Wild Cards anyone?) and pissed them off, I am pretty drat sure he will die before he gets the books done.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Samizdata posted:

Might as well get my sperg on. You DO NOT READ Game of Thrones. You WATCH Game of Thrones. You READ A Song of Ice and Fire. Which is the book series the TV series Game of Thrones is based on.

Also, it is a pile of poo poo because GRRM is so busy self-promoting and sucking the last bit of cash out of new fans since he ignored his old fans (Wild Cards anyone?) and pissed them off, I am pretty drat sure he will die before he gets the books done.

A Game of Thrones is a book, though.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Stultus Maximus posted:

A Game of Thrones is a book, though.

Yeah, the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire, and I doubt they were just reading the one book.

Sorry to be all :spergin:, but as an inveterate reader, I get tired of people forgetting books exist. Had an incident with a coworker the other day. It is pretty cold right now where I live, and, so, as a generic farewell, I tend to say stuff like "Have a better one. Drive safe and stay warm!" However, with this new coworker I decided to snark a bit and said "I bet one of those bloodthirsty Game of Thrones fans would say something about winter coming." She stopped, turned around, and said "I AM one of those bloodthirsty Game of Thrones fans." We talked for a couple of minutes, and, during the conversation, I mentioned my frustration at the books not getting done, and she mentioned she didn't know it was based on books and at some point she wanted to pick my brain about the books versus the series.

EDIT: Not sure why the formatting did that, but it is fixed now.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 8, 2016

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Please. Every true fan knows that A Song of Ice and Fire is actually the name of the author, and the book series is A Song of Ice and Fire's Monster.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, the first book in A Song of Ice and Fire, and I doubt they were just reading the one book.

Sorry to be all :spergin:, but as an inveterate reader, I get tired of people forgetting books exist. Had an incident with a coworker the other day. It is pretty cold right now where I live, and, so, as a generic farewell, I tend to say stuff like "Have a better one. Drive safe and stay warm!" However, with this new coworker I decided to snark a bit and said "I bet one of those bloodthirsty Game of Thrones fans would say something about winter coming." She stopped, turned around, and said "I AM one of those bloodthirsty Game of Thrones fans." We talked for a couple of minutes, and, during the conversation, I mentioned my frustration at the books not getting done, and she mentioned she didn't know it was based on books and at some point she wanted to pick my brain about the books versus the series.

EDIT: Not sure why the formatting did that, but it is fixed now.

Chill out. What are you, astrally married to one of the unicorns in the series or something?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Chill out. What are you, astrally married to one of the unicorns in the series or something?

No. Nor are any of my alters.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Settle down, Francis.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

sinking belle posted:

Please. Every true fan knows that A Song of Ice and Fire is actually the name of the author, and the book series is A Song of Ice and Fire's Monster.
Knowledge is knowing that George RR Martin is not the monster.

Wisdom is knowing that George RR Martin is the monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

~*fabulous*~

value-brand cereal posted:

I feel like this thread has run its course and should be goldmined already.

Agreeing with this

Honestly at this point it's mostly just tangents and people desperate to prove they aren't like the people discussed in the thread

• Locked thread