Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Actually a 3-in-1 question:

* I do (or try to do) a far bit of writing and editing on my tablet. I'm not looking to do final drafts or detailed tweaking, just belt out a rough draft of something, maybe even just jot down some ideas, do an outline while I'm in a cafe or on transport and offline. And likely I will want to get the text/source out of that system and transfer it to something else later for the proper writing. What software would people recommend? I've tried GoogleDocs / Drive (you can mark a pre-existing document for use offline, but your can't create a document offline), Polaris Office (creates MSOffice docs and seemed a bit odd, couldn't select any text in the doc), OfficeSuite (also couldn't select and text, odd, also just MSOffice docs). It all seems more awkward than it should be. Are there better apps?

* Bought some music on Google Play and found it a real arse to actually get the physical music out. (Eventually installed Music Manager on my laptop and grabbed it from there.) Is there a simpler way?

* Maybe more of a hardware issue: I've been using jjComics and the PerfectVewer to read comics on the tablet and encountered an odd situation. The comic files are stored on a microsd card in the removable slot but if the tablet goes to sleep, the card seems to get unmounted and the apps say they can't find the next image file. Which is odd, there's no notifcation of the card unmounting and no other application complains. Has anyone seen this and is there a solution or explanation?

Technical details: Asus Transformer TF300 running 4.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Something I've recently installed is pushing ads constant to the notifications bar. Any clues on how i can track down which it is?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
We'd had a few Twitter and Facebook clients mentioned here, but I'm looking for ones with a few specific features:

* Twitter: I'd really like to be able to kill particular hashtags. I follow a bunch of colleagues who go to conferences and then fill their twitter-stream with "the coffee is really bad" / "I'm in the upper hall, where are you" / "hey lets hit that cool bar after this talk".

* I've gotten annoyed at the official Facebook client pushing ads in my face and repeatedly asking if I want it to search my address book so "I can find other friends". But I'm an active member of several Facebook groups and some of the clients I've looked at seem to either ignore groups or handle them poorly.

Options?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Sri.Theo posted:

Has anyone here got experience with London/UK transport apps, I've tried out a few crap ones, but there must be something nice that can work offline.

I've had good luck with Bus Guru (just for buses obviously) and my partner swears by the National Rail for getting back to London from in the middle of nowhere.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Duke Jeffrie posted:

What's the logic behind what happens when you open a new app from within another? For example, if I have a PDF attachment in gmail and open it in ezPDF. Instead of it opening ezPDF entirely separately, it shows up in the recent apps list as gmail

I've noticed this too. It seems that if an app opens another in a viewer mode (open this url, look at this download) , the recent apps list and back button don't recognize it as being opened. I guess the idea is that the calling app is the primary one: you're only using the Pdf viewer for a mail task, not using it as an independent task.

On other things, ebook readers. I've been using Aldiko for a long while, pretty happy with it except that startup is slow. Someone mentioned Mantano before. I tried it and it seems pretty cool. And Moon reader has its fans too. Any opinions on the pros and cons? I only use Pdfs and Epubs.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
I'm looking at todo list apps. The background is that I've been a reasonably happy customer of GQueues for a few years. It does contexts, recurring tasks, multi-step / nested tasks. On the down side, it's just a webapp, so the interface is a bit average, and there's no widget. (It's this last one that irritates me the most.) And everything else I use is Google, so using something that worked with Google Tasks would be useful.

Any ideas?I see Astrid now works with GTasks, although I'm not clear _how_ it works with it (does it use the GTask infrastructure, does it just copy it's tasks to there?)

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Probably beaten to death, but whats the best going comic book viewer/reader on the market for smartphones that don't have massive screens?

How small? Perfect viewer is what I've settled on.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

fivre posted:

Oh for joy.

The Twitter part of Tweetdeck is obviously going to stop working as they said they're killing the API it uses, I'm not sure how Facebook will stop working but I assume it will break also.

What are my other options for something that does both Facebook and Twitter or is it finally time to switch to Google+?

Ubersocial. Not great but okay.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

huh posted:

I'm currently using Cool Reader for ebooks but it doesn't support pdf files.

Any suggestions on the best reader for them?

Aldiko, Mantano. Just swapped from the forest to the second, but functionality is roughly the same.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
While we're talking about G+:

About two weeks ago, I started getting a weird behaviour on my tablet (Asus tf300 running 4.2, unrooted). A couple of times a day, G+ would start up by itself, hang there, then crash. I cleared the app cache but it's still happening. Any ideas what to investigate next?

Second question - and it's more a Google question than a tablet one but I think it fits in here best - I just shifted to dual authentication for Google. My desktop is fine (I set it as a trusted device), but my android phone isn't behaving. I downloaded the android Authenticator app to it, but now it just repeatedly asks for my Google password and doesn't accept the Authenticator tokens or my regular password. Ideas?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Flavivirus posted:

(Phone with dual authentication)

You might need to set up an application-specific password instead, you can get them in the security section of your account page.

And that was it. Thanks for the tip - the documentation does actually say this, but the process is so confusing that I lost that detail. Although it does seem strange that a phone, with Authenticator on it, isn't a trusted device.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
A minor but interesting update: the ereader software Aldiko.

This is what I used to use for ebooks and it worked fine but was a bit plain and the layout was a bit curious - I could never remember where to find the option or view that I needed. I recently gave it another go and it seems to have just updated with a new look-and-feel that works much better - you can get at book info much easier, file importing isn't hidden, the shelve view refreshes much faster ... actually the UI looks a lot like that of Mantano Reader ...

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Might be a case of over thinking a simple problem, but what's a simple way to send files to an Android device?

Most commonly, I've wanting to copy an ebook or document from my MacBook to my tablet. My android phone usually mounts when I use a cable to connect it to the MacBook, but by tablet (Asus TF300) doesn't. In any event, it'd be nice to just send files "across the air". I've used Dropbox & GoogleDocs to sync stuff across, but that strikes me as a bit fussy too - put it in the sync folder, wait for it to sync, move it out on both devices. Tried Bluetooth and got some cryptic errors.

AnySend looked interesting but it only sends from Android devices. Is there an application that does two-way?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Perhaps more of a device than app question but:

I have a phone - a Sony Experia Mini. Not real powerful, still running Android 2.3.4, but it's handy and I'm content with it. The only problem is the massive amount of bloatware that came on it. "Get Apps!" "LiveWare Manager", "Music Unlimited", "Timescape", etc. They can't be deleted and the internal storage isn't very big on this thing. So:

* A long time ago, I recollect seeing an app that promised to be able to remove all this bundled and locked crap. Strike any chords?

* Otherwise, am I going to have to root it to clear this stuff off?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Any opinions about recent developments in ebook readers?

I started out using Aldiko, liked it but found it a little slow and then started using Mantano, which lacks a little on the organisation side, Aldiko got polished up and I went back to using that ...

Other points of interest:
- I read/use epubs and PDFs only
- I like to highlight text in a book for taking notes from later
- The Pro versions of both Mantano and Aldiko have slightly mediocre reviews, with talk of random crashes

In summary, are there any better readers I'm missing?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

nessin posted:

Anyone know of a offline maps option that I can make notes on? I'm going to be traveling to Italy in a couple weeks and looking for something better to identify my hotels and stops instead of just making basic text notes, especially since I don't plan on having any sort of data access beyond the occasional wifi connection.

Osmand might be able to do this for you - it's pretty good in offline mode.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
What's the best app to profile memory & CPU usage?

Motivation: my Asus TF300 is feeling slloowww and laggy lately and I wonder if something I've installed is sucking up all the power.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
So the data usage monitor on my phone started shrieking the other day and after looking into it, I find that the Readability app has consumed a gig of traffic in the last month. Uh, what?

Anyone else seen this? Phone is a Moto G running Kitkat.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

(Readability) There are pages and pages of crap reviews for this on the Play Store. Not too surprising from the sound of it.

Argh. Readability was been a godsend during my commute but it looks like the app is badly broken. I've exported all my articles to Pocket, which seems to be much better.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
No so much the Android end of things as something that interacts with an Android app:

I've been used AirDroid to get things on and off my phone and tablet and so on. Been working fine but when I went to add a new device a fortnight ago, it refused and said I needed a premium account. Fair enough. I stumped up the cash and still couldn't add the new device but thought that maybe it would sort itself out with time.

Well no, but a new problem arose. I can't seem to log into AirDroid. I use the Google option and a window briefly opens and closes. Thought maybe something was blocking it, so tried in an incognito window. Got as far as entering my google credentials, window closes and ... I'm not logged in.

Obviously not great. Anyone else have this problem? Or is there a better way to get stuff on to Android over the air?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Recently my phone seems to have been burning up when it's not being used. I figure it's a rogue app that's responsible but the only clue I can find is that Beautiful Widgets used about 17% of the battery today, whihc seems a little high. So:

* Any clues on tracking this down?
* Any experience with BW acting up?

PS: phone seems to be cool now, which is strange.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

grilldos posted:

You clearly tracked down the problem app. How often do you have it checking for updates?

Think that one auto-updates over wifi. And it cooled just after getting home and onto the wifi. Hmmm ...

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

uaciaut posted:

I actually downloaded one of each (battery doctor and clean master). I should get rid of them, right? D:

Is that actually the received opinion on cleaning / dejunking apps? I've recently found CleanMaster quite useful recently due to a few apps leaving crap around or taking up more space than expected. (Note: I have also just uninstalled CleanMaster due to constant and excessive notifications.) What's the alternative?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Geektox posted:

The alternative is to not micromanage your phone. Unless an app is taking up hundreds more megabytes than it's supposed to in which case you shouldn't be "cleaning" it but uninstalling it outright.

I wasn't actually referring to app-killers but to space / clutter managers like CleanMaster. Which as I said, I've recently found useful. My tablet kept running out of room and CM was able to identify to the culprits: a gigabyte of crap left by an uninstalled app, one particular app that was taking up 3.5G just by itself, and some books in Google Books that were using 100s of megabytes for unclear reasons. So yes, it's exactly that situation.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

KingSlime posted:

What app do you use for reading in general? I'm using the Google Books app which works great for reading but the library and menus are very lacking as well. I'd like to be able to see progress and organize books to my liking. Categories would be cool as well so I could separate my queue from my completed reads and it'd be a neat way to track my reading habits. Not a huge deal and the app works fine but maybe there's better options out there?

I'm always - and perhaps pointlessly - exploring reading apps. The short answer is that your app of choice will depend on what you're looking for. Desired features are usually spread across a different apps.

There are a multitude of reading apps but only really four or five choices:

* Google Books:
Pros: it's google, synchronises across platforms including notes, can read from web, free
Cons: bookshelf has no organisation, it's just one big collection of books, book folder location is fixed in internal storage

I also found a few books in GB taking up a huge amount of room. Maybe that was just me.

* Kindle:
Pros: links in with Amazon, synchronises across platforms including notes, can read from web, free, decent organisation and management, you can mail any book to appear in your Kindle account, free
Cons: Kindle has to convert books to it's native format with varying success, book folder location is fixed in internal storage

* Aldiko:
Pros: unwedded to any book seller, good bookshelf organisation, notes, free version works just as well as premium version
Cons: creators have been promising sync for ages, book folder location is fixed in internal storage

Aldiko has a "import book" feature that is like iTunes: it takes over, stores and handles your books. This can be good or bad depedning orn your tastes / needs

* Mantano:
Pros: unwedded to any book seller, good bookshelf organisation, notes, free version works just as well as premium version, can store books in folder of your choice
Cons: slightly cluttered interface, sync feature is for-pay

My current reader of choice.

* FBReader:
Pros: the open source reader, reads almost any format, can store books almost anywhere (multiple folders, browsing file system, etc.)
Cons: ugly as rear end, bookshelf is clumsy (title only), rendering is suboptimal

FBReader is typical of a lot of OS productsL provides hundreds of options for you to customise and manipulate your experiences, somewhat to the detriment of the final product. For example, I'd like to make the font larger for the page I'm currently reading. But I have to go into the global settings, switch off strict use of CSS and increase the font size globally.

I think Kindle, Aldiko and Mantano have widgets.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Have you tried Calibre Companion? It's my preferred organization/browsing app, with FBreader (or whatever you like) as the reading app. It syncs (wirelessly or wired) with Calibre, too, which is nice. You can filter and manipulate your library many ways, too.

I haven't because I don't quite get it. Correct me if I'm wrong but it just does the library wrangling and then you have to go into your reader and find the book you want to read anyway? What am I missing here? Does it automatically throw to / open your reader or something?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

It tosses the book to your reader, so the reader is just the actual book interface. You use CC entirely to navigate.

I wasn't 100% sure until I tried it out, but it works exactly as I hoped it would.

Interesting. I've been a half-hearted user of Calibre for a longtime (yes, it's powerful but lord is it weird and gawky) so this may be a good path forward.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
A crazy, shot-in-the-dark, is-there-an-app-that-does-this request:

One of my resolutions / desires for the new year is to be less ruled by my phone. Due largely to work, I have emails coming in on all days at all hours ("I know this is the weekend but / When you get back from holidays") which I'm finding immensely irritating. I'm not on call, I can't do anything about these issues out-of-hours, but it's distracting me from time away. Add in a number of colleagues who treat email like an instant messenger and are all too ready to escalate trivial issues to predictions of global doom and you might understand: Out-of-hours, I don't want to know about these emails at all.

It's got to the stage where I switch my phone off at night because I was being awakened by a random stream of beeps, vibrations and flashing. Now, I have tried to tune the alerts down (beeps to vibrations, vibrations to flashes), but a few always seem to slip through, and even the notifications are bugging me.

What would be great is a way to configure alerts and/or mail-checking so it only occurs within a set band of hours. Ideas for this or an allied solution?

Mail programs used: gmail/inbox, Nine. No, I don't want to carry or use a second phone.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Nine allows you to set it that it only checks the email server during "peak" times which you can set. Under Settings > Sync Schedule > Sync Frequency > Peak

Seriously? That would be a lifesaver. No more "can you immediately" emails at 2am.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

baka kaba posted:

If you're on lollipop lollipop you could have a poke around the Downtime feature in the notifications settings. It sets priority mode automatically at certain times, so you won't get email notifications unless you've whitelisted them.

They probably still appear while you're using the phone though eh. Might be worth playing around with something like Llama or Tasker and seeing if they can toggle notifications in your mail apps

I haven't gone to Lollipop as yet (given the track record for phone OS updates here in the UK, I'm betting I'll have to wait until my next phone) but this sounds like a good feature. Thanks.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

Nine allows you to set it that it only checks the email server during "peak" times which you can set. Under Settings > Sync Schedule > Sync Frequency > Peak

Just a followup note: using the peak settings saved me from 7 "urgent" emails during the weekend. I can feel calm returning - thanks again.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

I use Perfect Viewer for reading comics. I tend to download them on my PC, then transfer them to my Nexus 7, but I just checked the settings, and it supports adding a LAN folder to your bookshelf.

And PerfectViewer shows read/ unread. Doesn't show new however.

Which segues nicely into a Perfect Viewer question from me: when I first installed it, it displayed the nice little quickbar (advance to next issue etc.) when you hit the bottom. Now I just get a progress bar instead. I've played with all the settings and can't get it back. Any ideas?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

(Perfect Viewer) Have you tried setting it to Normal under Quick Setup?

Yup. Reset to default settings. That drat progress bar is still there. I'm baffled.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

stickyfngrdboy posted:

I use here beta for this

Everyone lately is saying Here. In case that doesn't work out, I've great success in using Osmand for this purpose.

BTW: Your understanding is correct: Google maps can save/cache maps but you have to load the map and explicitly save it. Osmand (and I guess Here) allow you to save areas (e.g. "France", "New York") which consumes a bunch of space on your device but is a lot easier.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Any recommendations for a shopping list app?

There's quite a few on the app store but none of those I've tried were quite right. Mostly I'd like to just jot down items and check them off, but it would also be nice is the list was shareable, both to other of my devices and to other people. And even to the desktop?

The closest I've found was just using a page in Evernote. Suggestions?

Second question: I'm using SlideLock on my phone, so I can see notifications on the lock screen, and it's recently stopped working. Or stopped working in an odd way. The wallpaper on the lockscreen changed and I only see updates for my mail, nothing else. I checked the Slidelock settings and everything seems kosher / like it was before. Ideas?

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Feb 20, 2015

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Next recommend-and-app request: a daily checklist or habit builder app. Touchy-feely details follow.

Background: having just come off a six month stretch of crunch mode at work, all my personal habits and self-care routines are shot to hell. I haven't been to the gym in months, the housework isn't getting taken care of, I'm still grabbing food on the run, etc. So I'd like to get back to a more ordered sensible life.

I've had success with checklists before, so I'm thinking of using an android app that helps me follow a repeating checklist, daily tasks and habits to follow. Once again there's lots of them on the Play market. Some features that might be useful:

* Weekly (and even every other day) checklists
* A displayed history of success (the "Seinfeld method")
* Sync across devices and a standalone website

An often suggested solution is to just use a normal todo app, but that just doesn't seem a good fit. Ideas?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Chin Strap posted:

Have you checked out HabitRPG?

I did that. It's good and clever bit I got far too much into the game aspect of it.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Looking for app recommendations, followed by digression into UK banking:

I'm looking for a budget app. Be nice if it had an online version as well, and some accommodation of multiple accounts (bank balance, credit card balance, etc.), and regular payments in and out. Mint seems to be popular. Opinions?

I've heard about apps linking to and managing peoples bank accounts, getting live information out of them, etc. Which seemed cool, but there were few (if any) that worked with UK banks. I found one last year, but balked when it asked for the the username and account details of my online account - with which it could do anything with my money. Do they all work this way? It seems very vulnerable, not just in terms of the app company but also if they have a breach in security.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't know how it would get your bank transactions and balances without your account info. I use mint and it's usually great (sometimes it has trouble connecting to certain accounts), but I have no idea how it works in the UK.

API tokens, a read-only interface, a restricted account, a third-party application API? My bank makes me jump through hoops to connect to my online account. Seems foolish to just hand the credentials over to another party.

As to how Mint works in other countries - seems it doesn't. They ask for your country when creating an account and bounce any non-US/Canada ones. I might lie just to get the budgeting tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Well, thanks for all the info. You've convinced me to never give my banking details to any third party. Actually, I'm not sure even I should have them ...

• Locked thread